Delete a recurring invoice

steve99steve99 Member Posts: 5

I can't find the option. Use case is that no longer need it our created it incorrectly.

Comments

• prakashprakash Member Posts: 0

Dear Sir/Mam

i recently started using the waveapps in that i am unable to see the payments below sales, if i receive partial payment how do i see the pending payment or how do i update these kind in waveapps, how to delete the recurring invoices

• CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hi Prakash! In order to stop recurring invoices, you'll need to End the schedules you currently have ongoing. You can do this via the drop-down menu on the recurring invoice page.

You can issue partial payments against any invoice until it has been fully paid. If you have an income transaction, select it and you should see the option to apply it to an invoice. You can also apply payments to invoices from the invoice page.

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @steve99

You can't permanently delete a draft for a recurring invoice. I would recommend either modifying it as necessary for the next recurring invoice you have to set up.

You could also activate it with an invoicing date at some point in the future, but ending it immediately so that it gets archived without creating an actual invoice. If you archive it that way, it won't clog your drafts anymore.

• frankuirogafrankuiroga Member Posts: 0

Hello everyone, how can I Recurring Invoices, I do not see the option

edited January 26, 2021
  • OrionsBeltsOrionsBelts Member Posts: 27 ✭✭

you can't actually delete a recurring invoice. you have to end it. it's one of the options if you click the arrow to the right of the recurring invoice. it'll still be stored, but it won't be active and won't send anything out.

• altrosaltros Member Posts: 5

If never used delete is really logical requirement please

Hi, @altros.

It isn't possible to delete recurring invoices. They can be ended, which will archive them and prevent them from sending any new invoices but never completely removed. You can always edit old recurring invoice drafts to better suit your needs.

• balancethebooks716balancethebooks716 Member Posts: 1

Created a number of recurring invoices and had trouble with a few - went back and forth - and when I went to the list there were "DRAFT" recurring entries with the same customers under "activated" - so now I want to delete the drafts and when I right-click for options there appears to be no way to delete them. Any suggestions? Thanks

edited January 26, 2021

Hi, @balancethebooks716.

Recurring invoices can't be deleted, only "ended".

If you intend to use recurring invoices in the future, you can just remove the content of those drafts for now and use them as bases for actual recurring invoices in the future. Alternatively, you could finish and approve them, but set the date of the first invoice sometime in the future. Once it's created, end it immediately and it'll be archived in the "All Recurring Invoices" tab.

• balancethebooks716balancethebooks716 Member Posts: 1

Both very good approaches - I am new the WAVE and so getting around is taking a little extra time - thanks for your help.

Allow me to Welcome you to Wave, then, @balancethebooks716! We're happy to have you!

I'm almost always close-by, you're welcome to reach out if you run into anything else.

• SusanReuSusanReu Member Posts: 2

I have a recurring invoice that I would like to delete. Since that option is not offered, I would like to "end" it. However, the option to "end" is grayed out so I cannot even do that. Please tell me now to get the "end" option to be available so I can use it. This is ridiculous. Thank you.

• SusanReuSusanReu Member Posts: 2

I apologize if my comment seems disrespectful. I was frustrated. Thank you.

Hi, @SusanReu,

That's a fair reason to be frustrated, there's no need to apologize. I'd love to help. Could you share a screenshot of your recurring invoices page, with any personal information on it obscured? It'll give me a better idea of what the issue might be.

Is that recurring invoice active? Only active recurring invoices can be ended, so that would explain the issue you're running into. You can get around this by setting the date of the first invoice sometime in the future, activating it and then ending it immediately.

• GoodAccountingGoodAccounting Member Posts: 29

While trying to determine the best way to set up a Notes Receivable, I had created a recurring invoice. I then attempted to delete the recurring invoice. The option doesn't exist. It it listed as 'ended' in the "all recurring invoices' tab. Pretty messy. Easy Fix.

• Michelle_AMichelle_A Member Posts: 45 admin

@GoodAccounting Thanks for reaching out! As you have probably already figured out, you would have to complete/save these drafts (to convert them to active recurring invoices) with the first send date some time in the future (to avoid having them sent to your customers). This is because only active recurring invoices can be ended at this time. I can appreciate that it doesn't seem like the smoothest approach, and it's not to say that this feature won't be made available in the future- we just don't have a concrete ETA right now for when you'll see this ability implemented unfortunately!

Hi! I'm not trying to end or begin the recurring invoice. I'm trying to delete is all together so it doesn't show up at all. I don't want it listed as 'ended'. I never used it & want it gone. but there is no delete option.

• TylerKTylerK Member Posts: 94 admin

@GoodAccounting we're working on adding the delete function to be user-facing but right now it will show either Draft, Active or Ended RIs. Using the filter along the top should reduce the "noise" a little bit until we get delete live.

great. thanks.

• icecorpicecorp Member Posts: 17

Hey there

Is there any way to delete draft recurring invoices? It's a real pain in the butt having them sit there and be irremovable.

It's a pretty straight forward feature so wondering if there is a way and I'm missing it! Or if it can please be included in an update.

Thank you!

• geosalamehgeosalameh Member Posts: 1

I would add to this the possibility to delete an Ended recurring Invoice?

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@icecorp @geosalameh Unfortunately, as of right now, this is still a feature request in the works (the ability to delete recurring invoices in Wave). All Recurring Invoices (ended, active or draft) will appear on that page. As our Developers work to release that feature, I am hopeful the filters along the top will help you keep working with minimal issue. Once the feature is released/has an update, we will be sure to let our users know.

• gavinkennedygavinkennedy Member Posts: 4

Hi
    I attempted to "re-use" an abandoned draft recurring invoice (as suggested above)
    However, since the date is now so old, I can't.
    ANy way to delete them yet?
    Thx

• ThomasDalyThomasDaly Member Posts: 15

@Alexia I too am frustrated by the inability to delete recurring invoices. I started creating one but abandoned it when I realised there are no available scheduling options other than monthly. The attached screenshot shows the problem @SusanReu referred to. There are no options to either 'end' or delete the invoice.

• noboundariesvinoboundariesvi Member Posts: 0

Not sure how to get rid of it , I dont like the recurring invoices so im just going to create new invoicebut can't find where to delete my draft recurring invoice

edited January 26, 2021
  • AmandaKAmandaK Member Posts: 73 admin

@noboundariesvi The easiest way to get rid of a draft recurring invoice is to first finish and approve the invoice. From there, you can end the recurring invoice. To do this:
    1) Navigate to the Recurring Invoices page and select the "Draft" tab
    2) Click on the down arrow to the right of your draft invoice and select "Edit"
    3) Click "Save and Continue" at the bottom of the invoice
    4) Under the "Set schedule" section, set the date of the first invoice to be some time in the future
    5) Complete the remaining steps and click "Approve and start recurring invoice"
    6) Navigate back to the Recurring Invoices page and select the "Active" tab
    7) Click on the down arrow to the right of your invoice and select "End"

Once you do this, your invoice will disappear from the "Active" tab and be archived in the "All recurring invoices" tab. Hope that helps!

• awitsawits Member Posts: 1

This is remarkable! How is it possible to create something in error and not be able to delete it???
    It shouldn't be clogging up anything, whether drafts or archive. It's just another entry in a database why can't they be deleted?

Please @Alexia can you actually explain why this is the case? As it literally makes zero sense that you don't allow this.

I already have a recurring setup for a customer, this one was in error - I do not need it. I do not want it. What possible technical reason is there that you don't allow it to be deleted?

• CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hi @awits thanks for reaching out. This isn't currently possible for recurring invoices, as you've seen mentioned earlier in the thread. The closest thing you'll be able to do right now is either to approve and then end a draft recurring invoice to remove it from your drafts list or edit the errored recurring invoice with new information the next time you need to create one. I know this is frustrating and I totally appreciate where you're coming from. Having test or error transactions hanging around in a view you can see is not ideal, and might be annoying all over again each time you happen to navigate to that page. I can't offer a comprehensive explanation for why, though -- that might include information that's not available to our Support Team. From what I understand, the reason why deletion isn't available is in part to avoid a possible error of deleting a recurring invoice cycle with invoices still scheduled to be generated, when you had intended to only delete one invoice. We're tracking questions like yours, and if we receive news that this feature is going to be updated in the near future, we'll make sure you're notified. Thanks for any patience you can extend our way.

edited April 23, 2019
  • WPBNSWPBNS Member Posts: 6

Amanda, isn't there a way to just DELETE an invoice? I don't mean to "End" the invoice, but actually just delete it from your system. If not, why? Gary

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there Gary @WPBNS

You should be able to delete an invoice but only if you haven't processed payments through it. If you've processed any bank payments or credit card payments through any invoice, our system won't allow you to delete it. This is for keeping an audit trail of your payment of course, as these are standard bookkeeping practices. If you haven't processed payments through our CC or ACH bank payment options, you should be able to select the triangle drop down menu beside the invoice in the all invoices page, and delete it. Hope this makes more sense! Have a great weekend.