Options

Protect yourself with a payments Terms of Service

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageProtect yourself with a payments Terms of Service

Accepting payments online reduces the work for you and your customer, and can get you paid faster. This guide teaches you how to write a terms of service that works for your business. It also shows...

Read the full story here

edited June 19, 2020 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• Options
    ADBADB Member Posts: 1

Thank you WAVE!

• Options
    WillistonWilliston Member Posts: 3

Very forward thinking. Thank you!

• Options
    LTLTELTLTE Member Posts: 1

Thank you for this!
    Question: How does this work if the VENDOR takes the credit card from the client over the phone and inputs it in Wave?

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @LTLTE

This is something I would highly recommend getting some legal advice about. You may want to consider sending them the terms of service prior to that transaction even happening, or downloading a copy of the invoice in PDF and sending them both the invoice and the TOS?

• Options
    MaraluMaralu Member Posts: 2

Does this checkbox appear if the customer is paying by ACH?

• Options
    Kr8ve1Kr8ve1 Member Posts: 13

Do we have to activate for each invoice. Can't it be something thats automatic that we can turn off and on in the settings?

• Options
    consultmbrconsultmbr Member Posts: 7

In the event I need to, how can I prove that the customer accepted the TOS?

• Options
    Micha3l_B3llMicha3l_B3ll Member Posts: 9

I love this feature!

• Options
    ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

@Maralu Yes, this would appear even if your customer is paying via ACH.

@Kr8ve1 Great input! I'll make sure to pass that feedback along to our development teams for consideration for future implementation.

@consultmbr If you have this feature activated for an invoice, the customer would NOT be able to pay the invoice at all without ticking off the box stating they've accepted it. If you've received payment on a Terms of Service-activated invoice, they've checked that box, and accepted your terms.

• Options
    consultmbrconsultmbr Member Posts: 7

@ConnorM said:
    @consultmbr If you have this feature activated for an invoice, the customer would NOT be able to pay the invoice at all without ticking off the box stating they've accepted it. If you've received payment on a Terms of Service-activated invoice, they've checked that box, and accepted your terms.

My concern is that if a dispute/charge-back is claimed, there should be some proof to be provide to the cc company that the client accepted the terms etc. I'm not sure what would be sufficient proof, but without any proof this feature really doesn't cut it. Perhaps an indication on the receipt etc. that client accepted terms.

• Options
    KMRtechKMRtech Member Posts: 2

We appreciate the feature to protect and secure customer payments. Thank you from KMR Technologies LLC

• Options
    Robin_Reed1Robin_Reed1 Member Posts: 2

How do you actually view the Sample Terms of Service document? All I get is meaningless lines of code.

• Options
    LeonaCodyLeonaCody Member Posts: 2

How does the customer view the Terms of Service? Is it a new window pop up? It listed below the invoice? Is it printed on the invoice? My Terms of Service is 3 pages of Calibri Font Size 11. Can we walk through an example?

• Options
    JulyeEJulyeE Member Posts: 2

@Robin_Reed1 said:
    How do you actually view the Sample Terms of Service document? All I get is meaningless lines of code.

I had the same problem. I kept trying to download the file. I had to save it, not download it. Once I saved it, I could click on the download icon on my browser (I use Firefox so it is a blue arrow). Then it opened in LibreOffice (or Word if you have it, but I use LO).

• Options
    Robin_Reed1Robin_Reed1 Member Posts: 2

That worked - thank you!

• Options
    MaraluMaralu Member Posts: 2

Awesome. Thank you!

• Options
    CompuBCCompuBC Member Posts: 5

Can you make it as a permanent option for all the invoices at the invoices settings?

• Options
    CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @CompuBC , thanks for your message! You can make your Terms the default note on all future invoices by heading to Settings > Invoice Customization, and changing the Default Notes section to include your Terms. Then, if you have an invoice with Payments enabled, you can select whether you require them to agree on a per-invoice basis during the invoice creation.

• Options
    CompuBCCompuBC Member Posts: 5
    Hi Callie,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I know you can add the t&c to the invoice but I'd like to have the "agree" checkbox on always.
  • Options

Hey @CompuBC! That is not something that is currently possible with this feature, but is definitely great feedback to have! Thank you!

• Options
    CharlesNCharlesN Member Posts: 11

This is a great start. Roadmap food for thought...the ability to link out to terms. For example, I have my terms listed in my website's terms and conditions. It would much easier to maintain if I could link to that page, plus if they get lengthly it would present much better. Great feature either way.

• Options
    CharlesNCharlesN Member Posts: 11

@LeonaCody said:
    How does the customer view the Terms of Service? Is it a new window pop up? It listed below the invoice? Is it printed on the invoice? My Terms of Service is 3 pages of Calibri Font Size 11. Can we walk through an example?

I had the same question at first, but if you read the steps in the article it say: "Copy the text from your Terms of Service document and paste it into the Notes/Terms section of an invoice."

• Options
    danieldehartdanieldehart Member Posts: 1

What would be awesome is if Wave could create a setting that adds a 10% fee to the total if they choose to pay with a CC to try and cover some of the costs of the transaction fees we are charged.

• Options
    LeonaCodyLeonaCody Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    Gita_RGita_R Member Posts: 2

@consultmbr As part of the chargeback resolution process (outlined here https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/214284286-The-chargeback-process-what-to-expect) Wave can confirm whether the Terms of Service feature was enabled on the invoice and that the customer accepted them. Hope that helps.

@consultmbr said:

@ConnorM said:

My concern is that if a dispute/charge-back is claimed, there should be some proof to be provide to the cc company that the client accepted the terms etc. I'm not sure what would be sufficient proof, but without any proof this feature really doesn't cut it. Perhaps an indication on the receipt etc. that client accepted terms.

• Options
    T_chaffee1T_chaffee1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys!! This makes it easier!!
  • Options
    m_johnsonm_johnson Member Posts: 1

Is their a way to automatically add the 2.9% for the debit/credit card payment to invoice total. If a client choose to pay via debit/credit card? that way this could be added in as a service fee.

• Options

Hey @m_johnson! We've actually got a pretty solid Help Center article here that will help you to pass these fees onto your customer!

• Options
    RoseEllenCampbellRoseEllenCampbell Member Posts: 3

I would also like to see a feature that enables automatic addition of the 2.9% for the debit/credit card payment to the invoice total if a client choose to pay via debit/credit card. Is there a way to do that?

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @RoseEllenCampbell , there's no way to do this at the moment automatically but Connor's comment above yours includes an article with steps on how to add this amount to your invoice manually.