Options

[Beta release] Transaction page redesign

Comments

• Options
    RangerRanger Member Posts: 1

I would really love a filter by amount or range of amounts. Sometimes you're looking for a specific transaction and know the amount, but don't know when exactly it occurred. It would be very helpful to search it that way

• Options
    LaurenMLaurenM Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

I just received the Beta on Dec 3. My initial thoughts:

Overall, I like the redesign. I'm on iMac 27" running MacOS Big Sur on Chrome browser, and iPhone11 runnig the latest verson (iOS14.2?)

You should know that I run my own business, doing all accounting and work myself, and I am also a design professional. I understand the push/pull of 'design vs. functionality'. But as a business owner, I value things that are easy to use - I'm working up to 14 hrs a day (sometimes not making any money, but working) - and I want things that are easy to see and deal with.

1. Notes in a different tab:
      I don't like the notes in a different tab. I'd rather have the entry and the notes all on the same screen so I can cue myself to write all the correct information; in this ADD world, everything is competing for our attention, and in one moment, someone/something is screaming for my attention (within seconds), and if there is another tab, I will have to toggle back and forth. If I have to toggle back and forth, I don't remember what notes I am typing for what entry. That may sound funny, but I have 4-10 completing action items in my head at all times, notifications, husband working from home, etc. Please make it easy for us to enter everything all at once.
    2. Bring back the green circle checkmark: Please bring back the big green circle for the checkmarks -- or make your checkmarks much thicker. It's hard to see the green checkmarks on either desktop or mobile, if just scanning down the page. The big green circle with the checkmark was very comforting and easy to see. Please don't make everything hard to see as most UIs are doing onscreen.
    3. MOBILE: ** Please **BOLD things, like the transaction sums, and maybe the date. Please. It is VERY hard to see the non-bolded transaction sum. Many of us are working hard, and the very thin fontface is hard to see even on a large smartphone
    4. New Entries, Quick entry: Please allow the accounts the ability to have just a few letters typed, and the account selected by the letters instead of just the pulldown menu. Here's why I ask: I use a credit card for paying for things, but credit cards are underneath all of the bank accounts (which include all savings and investment accounts). Always pulling down the menu gets time consuming - but having the ability to just type the account nickname will save lots of time. Remember, I'm a solo business owner, doing everything myself. Even saving 15 seconds helps.

I'll reply more as i go along using it. Thanks for continuing to make this better. I read some of the comments of others, but I have enjoyed using Wave over Quickbooks - so I'm not complaining much.

Please consider the UI that I mentioned. They aren't hard to implement, but make such a difference.

• Options

BTW, I opened a ticket regarding the Plaid interface for reconnecting my bank:

Background: One of my savings/investment banks disconnects every month. (On purpose?) I have to reconnect it. I've had this bank account for almost a year so this is about the 9th time I've had to do this... so I know whether it was easy or hard to retype. In Dec, the Wave interface for typing in my bank connection details changed.

Your (new?) account-interface (for Plaid) now doesn't have room on the dialog box to type in all the text so I can see it. So I can't check my spelling either in my account name nor the password. If I have an account name longer than 4 letters, I can't see it being typed. I had to keep erasing and retyping, hoping that my fingers typed correctly.

This is not even on mobile. This is on my large 27" iMac -_ the interface didn't even allow me to see to type more than 4 letters on a 27" display._

Please allow all text to be seen in the dialogue box for the Plaid interface.

Thank you.

• Options
    200yearsago200yearsago Member Posts: 1

Don't really like when rows are inconsistent. Some rows are huge and some are normal. Its a distraction.

• Options

Another issue:
    When I am entering a previously unrecorded transaction in an EARLIER date, I start putting in the date ...and the transaction I am inputting disappears.

**Example: ** today is Dec4 but I found a transaction from Nov 23 to input. I click the calendar to 23 Nov and WHOOSH, the entire transaction disappeared.

I figured out that the transaction moved its input date to the "proper place" in the transactions list by date - but it means that I have to scroll down to find the date.

Can you put this beta to allow me **to input the entire transaction BEFORE the line is moved to its proper [calendar] location? ** It's disconcerting to have my typing disappear and to search for it.

Thanks,
    lauren

• Options
    MarijaMarija Member Posts: 2

View on the 22" HD monitor (inline edits, can see multiple transactions, the amounts are in one column, the categories are in dedicated column, can filter/sort on same page:

Just shifting SAME chrome window to laptop 15" screen (transactions name, category, account, amount are all in same column, edit opens new window, no sorting filtering abilities on page-needs new window, only 2 transactions on screen, LOOOOTS of empty space):

Simple categorization of 20-odd transactions now takes good 30 minutes. Can't compare transactions from different accounts, as only 2 are visible at any time. Can't see multiple transactions on same screen when editing one (so can't "merge"). Splitting transaction does not give the "remainder" only complains about mismatch, so I have to open separate calc app to figure out how much to enter. Have to open separate screen in order to do simple "sort by category", and the screen for filter is now 3 screens long, hard to actually select filter criteria.

All of this because I switched window from 22" 1920x1080 to 15" 1920x1080 screen?
    The "smaller" transaction page is utterly useless and anti-user-anti-flow. Who in their right mind would even attempt to put amount, description, account and category of transaction in SAME column?

• Options
    YellowflowerYellowflower Member Posts: 2

The Beta version is more cumbersome to work with. The ability to make inline changes is there in your existing version. The Beta version makes it more difficult and time consuming to add details to each transaction. Instead on a side window which opened all transactions for complete view and update, I now have to click "Show transaction details" on each transaction , then I have to click add vendor and customer for each transaction to add them. I appreciate the work and effort you do. But please do not move to this Beta version for transactions. I have loved Wave and would hate to have to move to some other software because I am now spending 50% more time updating each transaction.
    If you want to add a features,
    1. Add the ability to attach receipts/bills to each transaction. Instead of me spending time to merge uploaded receipt with its transaction
    2. Ability to automatically convert uploaded invoices to Bills, so that I don't have to create a bill to see what my outstanding payables are. The invoices should stay as attachments with these Bills for any future reference or audit

• Options
    highlevelwealthhighlevelwealth Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

Overall I think these changes are a step in the right direction.

My favourite feature is that when using the search textbox it no longer obscures the first row in the table.

I would like to see the "Vendor" column added to the main view (with ability to edit inline), or an ability to customize which columns are shown/hidden based on my preferences.

I would also like to see the "Show transaction details" button improved. Currently it only shows on hover and it obscures the amount field of the row below. I would prefer a dedicated icon in each row to show the transaction details that does not appear/disappear as the mouse moves.

edited December 4, 2020
  • Options
    HyssopBeautyHyssopBeauty Member Posts: 1

Happy to be a part of beta. Upon entering my first transaction using the new page, I went to backdate the transaction and it disappeared before I could enter any data. Second time, same thing. Third time, I entered all data and then backdated it last... Went back to the date of the transaction to make sure it saved. It was there, along with the first two empty attempts.

• Options
    DarinRayDarinRay Member Posts: 1

Just looked at the new Beta and I HATE, HATE, HATE it.! I like the current one much, much more! I get the same thing as Urbscaburb above. The new bata Is a gross waste of screen real estate by comparison. The popup on the right is much more visually useful and user friendly than the beta's jumping to a new page to modify fields. I have been a software beta tester/user interface expert for 30 yrs and this is in no way an improvement. I suggest getting a responsive solution without regressing the existing interface.

edited December 7, 2020
  • Options
    csolarcsolar Member Posts: 1

The beta version is not letting me select multiple transactions to apply bulk changes. There are no checkboxes on the transactions, and the 'Select all' checkbox cannot be clicked.

Also, I agree that it's cumbersome to have notes on a separate tab. I liked being able to enter/read notes on the same screen.

• Options
    DoeValleyDoeValley Member Posts: 4

The layout of the new format is good, at first glance. I agree that the "Show Transaction Details" button is a problem. A static button at the right of each transaction would be quicker to find and click without accidentally clicking something on the transaction below, completely disrupting the flow. It definitely should not obscure other information on the page! It would be nice for these transaction details to open in such a way that I wouldn't then have to scroll further to see them. That's like having to request them twice (but not every time - only when the transaction I am looking at happens to be below the middle of my screen), and takes longer than opening at the right of the screen. If I request to see the details, they should be visible on the screen. And the Notes field in a separate tab adds yet another click, where I should expect to see ALL the details when I click "Show Transaction Details."

The bold font for transactions that have not yet been marked as reviewed is redundant. There is already an indicator for this (the green check mark), so why the second indicator? It is distracting when scrolling through the list of transactions. Maybe users could choose between the two options?

A new transaction I enter shouldn't jump to it's "proper" place - sorted by date - until AFTER I have saved it. I do appreciate that it will automatically sort itself, which doesn't happen in the current layout, but please wait until I save.

Are the "Select Customer" and "Select Vendor" options new, as well, or have I somehow blindly not noticed them before? I do very much like being able to mark or assign transactions to customers. I would love to have this field added to the receipts input page, too. I hope this leads to the ability to search/sort transactions by customer or vendor, and ultimately to the ability to connect receipts to invoices. That would help me be sure I invoice a customer for all the materials I purchased for that customer.

Thanks for working so hard to improve our experience with Wave!

• Options
    22asepsysca22asepsysca Member Posts: 19

Personally I really like the like the Beta. Splitting the transaction 4 times was also very easy. Working with the transactions on the existing (old) format has been a PITA since it came out a couple years ago. Nice job, Wave, thanks.
    My only suggestion for improvement is that on the main transactions page, for income or expense transactions, any transaction where you have assigned taxes , it would be nice if it showed under each one that taxes were added or assigned. Then you can feel safe to click the checkmark.

edited December 8, 2020
  • Options
    209384029384209384029384 Member Posts: 1

Can you please add this account to the beta? I have the new design on my other account but want to test it on this one since I use it more.

• Options
    AlexPennerAlexPenner Member Posts: 1

I am enjoying the beta version of transactions. Everything is nice about it like the ability to change the categories, date, description and account without opening the transaction and also that it opens to the bottom vs to the side is very nice. Just one problem I have is that the uncategorized transactions are no longer in red which I miss because it makes it harder to find them.

• Options
    Mark CamilloMark Camillo Member Posts: 2

First Impressions: I'm using a PC running Ubuntu Linux with a Chrome browser.

At first I wasn't sure what you were going for-maybe just a cleaner look-but on a PC with a lot of real estate to look at some things didn't quite make sense. When I read your pitch "consistent experience across your devices" I decided to log on with my phone and see the difference. To note, I never attempt to do my accounting with a mobile device but I do understand the mobile-centric world we live in. Looking at transactions on a small screen swapping between the beta and old version the changes made more sense. The old adage "you can't please everyone" comes to mind. In this case I believe you've swayed the design to help those using small screens maybe to the detriment of those of us on computers. At least that's my impression. I wonder if the "consistent experience" is as important as you think.

Things I like and don't like:
    I'm feeling a bit neutral on most items so far. I do see there are a few things still to come (mainly bulk buttons next to Select all at top bar) so maybe further improvement and use will sway me.

Inline Editing:
    I'm torn on whether I like Inline editing. I can see it's appeal but again those of us on PC have a lot of room these days and the modal to the right is something I actually like. I think it better separates the transaction I want to work on vs everything else. Dropping the details down below blends it in with the list and muddies the water. Another thing I'm thinking is that I'm probably going to end up changing things that shouldn't be changed with accidental clicks because it's too easy. The "show transaction details" link really needs some work-it's awkward to use and in the way when you don't need it.

Highlighting:
    This is a little thing but I don't like the status check mark change from a green circle/white check to just a green check. The green circle stood out much better. I do like that the background of checked transactions is shaded now. Shading and the old green circle check would be my preference. Also, now as you scroll the shading of the item you are hovering over is barely discernible from that of a checked (or reviewed) item. That could just be my screen or screen settings but I'd rather see a bigger contrast in shading or a different color altogether.

Select Transaction Check boxes:
    I'm assuming that the addition of the bulk buttons on the top bar will be to address the removal of the select check boxes next to each transaction so I'll wait and see what comes of that before I comment. The select check boxes were definitely useful in certain situations.

Category Lettering (Item needs attention):
    The last thing I see that's a little different is in the category column. Previously if your AI couldn't figure out where to put something it worded it in red and said "choose a category" whereas now it just says uncategorized expense or income in black. I don't care about the wording but I liked the red lettering that brought attention to the item.

I appreciate your work as a company to listen to your clients and try to improve your product.

• Options
    AmigoAmigo Member Posts: 1

I'm a big fan of Wave and appreciate the mostly positive changes in Beta. However, I think there is a bug when looking into historical transactions. When I pull a P&L report, then go to a specific expense category, then want to review a specific transaction listed there, I can click the transaction, but the new window that opens is just my general account starting at present-day transactions. To access a historical transaction (e.g. Sep. 2020), I just scrolled until I found the transaction line. There's probably a better workaround, but this wasn't an issue in the old version.

• Options
    Paul_CanPaul_Can Member Posts: 3

Just started having a look at the new beta features and have two comments/issues in the first minute of use:

1 - When splitting a transaction and you enter the first amount, wave no longer gives you the remaining amount to categorize. You have to know it (or calculate it) and enter it manually.

2 - Once you complete the manual entry of your split transaction and click the mark as reviewed button to save - wave simply throws an error and will not save any changes. Had to return to the original version to complete the split transaction.

• Options

This is not necessarily beta feedback - but Wave lacks the ability to do comparison reporting! The transactions interface was working fine in my opinion, but they lag others in reporting abilities. A nice year to year, quarter to quarter comparison type reports would be nice.

• Options
    RayganRaygan Member Posts: 1

I have an issue in the beta version. In my list of accounts on my transaction page, it is listing accounts that have been archived in my chart of accounts. This is happening on both my personal account and my business account.

• Options
    JCowanJCowan Member Posts: 10 admin

Hi all! Joey here from Wave. Just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback so far: we hear you, and your thoughts are immensely appreciated. I’ve noticed a few posts regarding some confusion around what’s available in the beta, and what's not. Wanted to share some info to keep everyone in the know :smile:

@Luc Just wanted to let you know that the “merge” feature has not been removed, it’s just that it hasn’t been built out yet for the Beta. Totally understand that this is a key feature for you, and it's one that we’re currently working on, and will be available soon. Watch out for updates to the original post to see when this is available! As for being able to see if a receipt is attached to a transaction, you can actually already do this in the Beta. Click to open up the transaction details, and then check the top right corner of the details box to see the transaction “source” (just beneath the amount). If the transaction has a receipt attached, the source will show as “receipt” — you can click there to open up the receipt image!

@Ranger Happy to report that you can in fact search by amount in the Beta (as well as in the original version)! All you need to do is click the search button in the top right and enter the amount.

@22asepsysca In the Beta, transactions that have had a sales tax applied to them will actually include an identifier to indicate that a sales tax has been applied! For any transaction that you’ve added a sales tax to, a badge will appear on that transaction beneath the amount showing the sales tax. If you’re finding that it’s not showing on some transactions, it might be worth checking out this article on Recoverable vs. Non-Recoverable sales taxes — it may be expected behaviour for the sales tax badge to not show on expenses, depending on how the sales tax was set up.

@Paul_Can Sorry to hear about the troubles with splitting transactions! We haven’t been able to replicate this behaviour. Is it possible that one of the split line items was left uncategorized? This would prevent the transaction from being marked as reviewed.

Another one for @Paul_Can , happy to report that comparative reporting is in fact available! If you head over to your Reports page, and pull up your P&L for instance, you can select the “Compare to prior period” option at the top to initiate the comparative reporting. This feature is available for the P&L, and Cash Flow Statement!

• Options

@JCowan, Thanks for the responses.

I can still replicate the splitting transactions error in a specific scenario after testing a couple. So if I've imported or created a split payment for a Mortgage payment - I allocate a portion to my mortgage interest expense account and the remainder to Transfer to Bank, Credit Card, or Loan > Mortgage Account. Click the review button and ERROR - There was an error saving the transaction. Please try again. I agree if splitting between two expense accounts it did work. The error happens when using different types of accounts it seems.

Still with splitting transactions - none of my testing has had the splitting functionality offer the $$$ remaining to be categorized option in the beta version. I really liked this functionality especially when recording mortgage payments - I enter the interest amount and wave provides me what's left to allocate to the mortgage account without me needing to do calculations.

With regards to the comparative reporting - thanks for pointing out the two reports that do offer this functionality. So my next question will be when can we get comparative reporting on the Balance Sheet report? :) That and P&L would be the two main comparative reports I would like to have access to.

Thanks

• Options
    GLBGLB Member Posts: 3

Keep getting "There was an error saving your transaction. Please try again." when trying to split a transaction in the BETA Version; switched to Old Version, no problems.

• Options
    MumsyMumsy Member Posts: 1

Am I doing something wrong, I am on the Beta, just started it this week. My display looks different than the examples in the Wave post
    I don't seem to see inline editing, anything I hover over or click results in a pop up opening, which saves no time at all. Same with selecting a transaction, that little box on the left which I should see to click is just not there.

• Options
    DoeValleyDoeValley Member Posts: 4

I finally figured out why I keep getting an error message when I try to record a transfer from one account to another. It is caused by the auto-save feature. I see that the Beta version saves after everything I enter, rather than waiting for me to manually save. As soon as I select that I am creating a transfer, another line is created for the second account in the transaction, but it only contains the information I have already entered. Then, when I try to enter the amount of the transfer, I get an error, because the matching transaction for the second account still says $0.00, and it doesn't get automatically updated when I am editing the originating transaction. I have to go back to the old page to enter transfers.

I would definitely prefer to manually save after I have entered all information. The auto-save feature is also the cause of new transactions suddenly "disappearing" before I can get the info entered. I have to chase them down, because they are auto-saved and auto-sorted into date order. I like the auto-sort feature. The auto-save is only causing me problems.

• Options
    BWCBWC Member Posts: 5

Your new in-line editing is nice for my personal banking, but completely useless for my business accounting.
    The "old" system is "OKAY" for bookkeeping, but requires a lot of seemingly unnecessary mouse moving and clicking. As much as I appreciate the wonderful system you provide, I'd rate the flow a "C-minus" for those of us who take bookkeeping seriously. Having to mouse-and-click to change the date, then mouse-and-click to open the Vendor, Category and Customer fields -- fields which we use on every transaction -- becomes irritating very quickly as we think of all the other tasks we could be completing if we didn't have to waste the time with unnecessary mouse-and-clicks.
    What would make transaction entry WONDERFUL for serious bookkeepers would be if the Edit Transaction Details window allowed a KEYBOARD FLOW to each and every one of the entry fields.

• Options
    rtench1rtench1 Member Posts: 2

I suppose the new version is okay, more functionality, but seems harder to navigate. As well, you seem to have to click notes on EVERY transaction, as there is no way to know if there is a note without clicking on notes. Notes should just display always

• Options
    tylercaltylercal Member Posts: 4

Two main things that stop me from using the beta consistently.

1. One already mentioned is the split behavior. When I split a transaction, I want it to automatically fill in what remains to be categorized in the next segment of the split.

2. Next is the wasted space. When viewing from my iPad Pro in horizontal I can only see 5 transactions at a time vs 8 with the old version. The both have the problem of scrolling only the transactions, not the whole page. And pretty much everything above the header row I don’t need to see once I’m reviewing transactions. I think this could be fixed by increasing the height of the transactions table element by the amount of space the top stuff takes up instead of matching the viewport. Then the user could scroll the transaction table and overall page independently.

• Options
    contourcreativecontourcreative Member Posts: 1

I would LOVE to see "sort by $ amount" it helps me to double check I don't have any duplicates. This used to be a feature before the current version and saved me so much time. Thank you!

• Options
    22asepsysca22asepsysca Member Posts: 19

One more thing about the Beta transactions, this may seem nitpicky but its bugging me more and more ...on the right hand end of each transaction row, there is a checkmark. I am constantly unable to remember if a transaction is "reviewed" or not when the check mark has a circle around it. Always have to hover my cursor over it to see if its reviewed or not. Its ambiguous to have a check mark for both un-reviewed and reviewed statuses, with the only difference being whether its circled or not. Instead of having a check mark for un-reviewed transactions, why couldn't you use something else less ambiguous like a question mark or....I dunno, a zombie's face? Or how about making the circle highlighted, filled with orange or red....or even just text saying "Un-reviewed" .

This discussion has been closed.