Coming soon: Wave's new Receipts feature

Comments

• EricMEricM Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

"At the moment, there aren't any plans to remove the new Receipts feature."

Ok but that's not really what is being asked is it? Can someone from Wave just answer this one question - will you bring back the OCR and App for receipts yes or no (if smartly done, it can match and find the related transaction to avoid duplication)?

Simple question.

If yes when? If no, why not? Maybe there is a legitimate reason - but we can certainly assure you that the new workflow is not making our backoffice operations simpler/better so please don't give us that reason.

Maybe there should be enough respect to your loyal paying clients who helped build your company based on certain features that were effective and pragmatic. Take those features away and not be transparent/honest to your clients is a really a poor business strategy unless you are intentionally sabotaging your business...

• Paul_CEOPaul_CEO Member Posts: 2

I'm leaving Wave du to this decision. Keen to hear of alternatives even if I have to pay.

• raysearcher123raysearcher123 Member Posts: 3

I've never seen such a stupid update like this in my life. Believe or not, you guys will see many users leaving for alternative one. Your product manager or lead should be shame of the decision you have made. I would definitely fire your guys if I were your boss.

• TinatheArtistTinatheArtist Member Posts: 1

Well this is a pain rear. So I can't bulk upload receipts? Was so easy, I could leave it to process all of them, and then with a few clicks I could then just put in a couple more details and hit ok for each one. Where are my uploaded receipts that weren't reconciled yet? The new transactions UI was already more awkward by losing the right-hand pane for details. Changes are making it progressively slower to use.

• mathmath Member Posts: 1

so where can i access the receipts that i upload before but not yet post to account?

• ReganRegan Member Posts: 1

Could somebody please explain to me like I'm a six-year-old, how is removing functionality and adding complexity and inconvenience a 'feature?' That sounds like corporate double-speak to me. What would be a feature is if there was a way to take pictures of receipts at the time of purchase, or forward emailed receipts to our Wave accounts for processing later.

You know, like it was before the 'addition' of this 'feature.'

• prmsssprmsss Member Posts: 13

How is this progress exactly? You removed one of the main features of Wave: the ability to instantly upload a receipt and create a draft transaction. #FAIL

• tommyotommyo Member Posts: 1

not happy about this

• StitchpointstudioStitchpointstudio Member Posts: 1

Like everyone else here I have just logged in to bulk upload some receipts only to find I can't! It was so easy to upload pdf receipts and wave auto-populate the information for me. Why would this be removed?!?! Why not give both options if "some" people find it difficult to use? Very disappointed

• IAMBLANKTAPEIAMBLANKTAPE Member Posts: 1

Your COO screw this up...

• JeffMJeffM Member Posts: 1

Terrible.. just... terrible. I know the company was sold last year at a high price so the new owners are probably cost-cutting, but this was one of the top features for why I use Wave.

• Steve1Steve1 Member Posts: 4
    > @raysearcher123 said:
    > I've never seen such a stupid update like this in my life. Believe or not, you guys will see many users leaving for alternative one. Your product manager or lead should be shame of the decision you have made. I would definitely fire your guys if I were your boss.

This is the plan, unfortunately. Call them updates, but they’re actually gutting the most popular feature so people will get rid of the app. They did not buy this to do anything other than kill it off
  • Tony_shoregateTony_shoregate Member Posts: 5

Wave has retired one of the most convenient and efficient parts of the application - OCR. Before, I could upload a receipt and the OCR processor would pick up the date, vendor, amount automatically. All I needed to do was categorize the transaction and change the account if necessary. Now I have to do everything manually. This is not a step forward folks.

• edindubaiedindubai Member Posts: 2

This is really bad. Not only have you made the workflow so much more complex and time consuming by eliminating OCR but you have removed the ability to deal with foreign currency purchases too!

Superb example of beginning of end of a product but I assume it must be intentional winding down of features towards closing the product entirely? Nobody would go down this road for any other reason and you seem to be making a hard push of customers towards Zoho with your deal with them, I assume you get paid per conversion as more move over there and this will eventually be wound up. Shame. It was good while it lasted, Zoho and Xero won I guess.

• Technowhiz_1Technowhiz_1 Member Posts: 7

Wave was eventually sold to Metabank, the provider of Prepaid Cards for Stimulus payments, of South Dakota. The banking industry pretty well wrote their own regulatory ticket (a.k.a. "hired" politicians to implement legislation to enable them ) 20 years ago, which made them lots of cash.

But there's another part to this story... the Crypto industry is laughing at the banking industry for writing those laws because the Crypto folk are using this legislation to beat those bankers at their own game...

Wave is really a mediocre platform and I'm annoyed they did things this way...and I'll probably switch to another provider soon...

• DanielleBriggsDanielleBriggs Member Posts: 1
    This is not a good change at all, and adds significant time to my workload.
  • GavGav Member Posts: 1

Why kill Wave slowly? if your going to kill it just do it?

• ElleTElleT Member Posts: 1
    This new feature is very inconvenient! After years of using this accounting app happily,, I am now considering seeking a new service because of the added steps to manage purchases. The fact that you all removed a convenient mobile app and are trying to sell logging into a web browser and following MORE steps as an upgrade is insulting. Receipt processing was also not an inconvenience, as you all are trying to say. The receipt app allowed for multiple people within my company to manage purchases and all flow to the same account WITHOUT having access to my actual accounting software. Furthermore, it enabled us to manage our books more easily. I am very very disappointed in this "upgrade" and hope you all are truly considering listening to long time customers and returning the app.
  • BrettHBrettH Member Posts: 1

I only came here for the comments but while im here doing my end of month reconciliation I tried the new way to upload reciepts and why would you make the process harder. I was already on the fence about changing providers but this is the final nail in the coffin.

Im not sure why you would take away a convenient way of doing something and make it so much more complicated.

• KNAUSdigitalKNAUSdigital Member Posts: 3

"Effortlessly" is an inappropriate word to use to market this new receipt process.

I have used WaveApps HAPPILY for years and the receipt process was probably my favorite feature. I work with many small business, startups and entrepreneurs and have recommended Wave to most of them.

Here's what changed for me:

Before, I had the Receipts app on my home screen. Unlock phone, open app, camera autoloads, snap a photo, send it, put phone away, and pocket the receipt. All in all, it was a 30 second process, and I loved it.

Now, I have to snap photos, send to an assistant who is paid ($) to upload and organize in cloud. Later, after the transactions clear in Wave, I have to then go into each transaction, find the right receipt by filename and upload. It requires more work for me, AND I have a new added cost. From my standpoint, the cost of WaveApps just went up.

Further, I have a capital one business account for one of my businesses. Capital One and Wave don't sync...at all. It's literally a manual bank statement upload. I do that twice a month. Then I have to go through and add receipts to all the transactions. @Wave you just put yourself in a higher price category.

edited June 30, 2021
  • SoccerFanSoccerFan Member Posts: 1

Attaching receipt to a transaction is a nice feature! One similar feature that I don't understand why it has not benne implemented yet, is this ability to attach the actual bill receipt to a purchase invoice. Right now, we are recreating the purchase bill into wave to associate the expense account to individual items on the bill but there are no way to attach the original bill for future reference. Hope this feature will be implemented in a near future!

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @erica @charleschiu and @math !

If you didn't post your receipts to accounting before the update was launched, you will be able to access those receipts in your Receipt data export under Settings > Data Export. Via the export you can view and download your receipt images that weren't posted to accounting and re-upload them by attaching them directly to an existing transaction or by creating a new transaction for them.

Hey @endee !

The currency of the transaction will be determined based on the account you select to allocate the receipt to. For instance, if you select a USD account, the transaction will be recorded in USD. The same will apply to other currency accounts.

If you made a purchase in a different currency, your bank will record the converted amount. You will then want to record the converted amount on your transaction in the appropriate account currency. I also suggest leaving a transaction note mentioning such conversions.

Hi @EricM

At this time, Wave has no plans to bring back OCR functionality I'm afraid. The reason being is because the new update is optimized for bank connections where you would attach a receipt directly to an existing imported transaction containing the receipt details. With that being said, we here at Wave understand that this change isn't ideal for every business owner. This was a difficult decision to make and I apologize if this update interrupted your previous workflow.

edited June 30, 2021
  • NJANJA Member Posts: 11 ✭✭

@JulianP said:

If you didn't post your receipts to accounting before the update was launched, you will be able to access those receipts in your Receipt data export under Settings > Data Export. Via the export you can view and download your receipt images that weren't posted to accounting and re-upload them by attaching them directly to an existing transaction or by creating a new transaction for them.

Hey @endee !

The currency of the transaction will be determined based on the account you select to allocate the receipt to. For instance, if you select a USD account, the transaction will be recorded in USD. The same will apply to other currency accounts.

If you made a purchase in a different currency, your bank will record the converted amount. You will then want to record the converted amount on your transaction in the appropriate account currency. I also suggest leaving a transaction note mentioning such conversions.

Hi @EricM

At this time, Wave has no plans to bring back OCR functionality I'm afraid. The reason being is because the new update is optimized for bank connections where you would attach a receipt directly to an existing imported transaction containing the receipt details. With that being said, we here at Wave understand that this change isn't ideal for every business owner. This was a difficult decision to make and I apologize if this update interrupted your previous workflow.

I'm sorry, "The reason being is because the new update is optimized for bank connections where you would attach a receipt directly to an existing imported transaction containing the receipt details.", that's BS, adding this new ability to add a receipt to an existing transaction was definitely needed but you've removed the critical part of the system that most people use.This is not a "optimization", it's a "labotomization" of a system that REALLY hurts small business productivity.

edited June 30, 2021
  • EricMEricM Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

Hi @EricM

Thanks for this response as well as the direct response from one of the other members of the customer support team.
    Simply put, it's a bad move as not every business owner wants bank connections - even if they worked flawlessly and did not involved a 3rd party... And presently that's not the case, is it?
    I'm not sure why Wave could not keep the OCR + app with the ability to hold, find and match with some savvy code - instead of putting the work on the small business to take a picture, file, drag and drop? The present workaround is for us to have all our receipts files in a server folder and forgo the step of connecting it to the Wave transactions as it already painful enough to match them up in this way...
    So to close this loop, given that there are no plans to rectify this issue by Wave, we have made plans to change bookkeeping software and payroll management at the end of our fiscal year. It's really too bad as this change did not just interrupt our previous workflow, it offered a worse alternative workflow... It's a shame.

• NPMNPM Member Posts: 2

I can't believe how disappointing this is. I will certainly be moving to another accounting software. Likely QuickBooks as it hasn't posted our function. I would have easily paidW if WAVE determined that they were going to charge for the use of their software. The getting rid of fundamentally important and Essential Software advances in favour of doing things like in the 1990s is beyond mind-boggling. I'm a part owner of a tech startup company and making our products more intuitive and easier to use is what we're after. So is every other tech company up there. This looks to me like it might be a way to drive the company into the ground so it's better to jump off the ship asap.

• JessSuwJessSuw Member Posts: 1

WHAT!!!! This is such a shame, hopefully I can manage this tedious process manually until the end of the year to keep my head from exploding during 2021 tax season. OCR functionality to process all my receipts was 50% of why I loved/use Wave. For small business like me, this was a key feature.

Wave, PLEASE BRING back the prior function of receipt processing. I want to keep using your software but won't past 2021 if I need to manually enter all receipt details :(

• SvPSvP Member Posts: 5

Yes, please bring back the feature that an uploaded receipt was automatically processed.
    That feature made accounting quicker, safer and more convenient.
    I wonder why you made Wave less convenient.

• 8Squid88Squid8 Member Posts: 1

Can anyone suggest another accounting software that has the old OCR functionality? this is absolute garbage now and I want to see what others are switching too.

• BobsmithBobsmith Member Posts: 2

Awe crud - I saw that I've been forwarding transactions to the receipts@waveapps.com and they've just disappeared. How long has this been going on?? I'm having accounting try to figure this out. It looks like receipts weren't being posted for MONTHS.
    Literally hundreds of receipt transactions sent to the email system went into the dustbin with no warning. Wow, this is a freaking disaster.
    I've relied on this feature for a long time. It took seconds to add transactions. Now, it's minutes to hours wasted for work that should be done by a computer. This is 2021 folks, not 1983 where an army of book keepers were needed.
    I understand this was a software legacy issue. But really, this was THE feature making Wave so good. The OCR receipt tool was second in making this such a good platform.
    We don't have our bank account connected because it doesn't work right for us. Plus having the linked bank account created a huge amount of painful work. Now, it looks like Wave is trying to force the banking connection - that just doesn't work for a lot of us small businesses.
    Many of our transactions happen on a business credit card for points/value/whatever, then get rolled into a single bank payment. There's no way to link bank transactions to receipts. I don't think many/most users would use a debit card to pay for things due to the risk, so there's no bank connection to receipts.
    This is almost a downgrade to just running spreadsheets to handling everything. Not quite, but real close. Now that I've learned Wave was sold to a megacorp conglomerate, it can be safe to assume Wave will be wiped out. Too bad - it's been a great run.

edited July 1, 2021
  • NJANJA Member Posts: 11 ✭✭

@NJA said:

@JulianP said:

Hey @endee !

Hi @EricM

I'm sorry, "The reason being is because the new update is optimized for bank connections where you would attach a receipt directly to an existing imported transaction containing the receipt details.", that's BS, adding this new ability to add a receipt to an existing transaction was definitely needed but you've removed the critical part of the system that most people use.This is not a "optimization", it's a "labotomization" of a system that REALLY hurts small business productivity.

TWO more issues that make this pathetic change even more labor intensive. Photos of receipts taken with my iPhone:
    1. HEIC files are not recognized by Wave and have to be converted before they can be uploaded
    2. Pictures need to be reduced in size before wave will allow upload

Ridiculous!

edited July 1, 2021