Coming soon: Wave's new Receipts feature

Comments

• SmallBusinessOwnerSmallBusinessOwner Member Posts: 2

Is Wave trying to self destruct by doing this move? I don't see other rationale behind this.

• SteveMyloSteveMylo Member Posts: 1

WAVE has completely deleted all my receipts that I was going to go through. I can't believe this. All my tax receipts deleted cause they shutdown and moved it to a different receipt format. I'm in Australia and they said no humans support, only robot. WTF!!

• _Derek__Derek_ Member Posts: 62 ✭✭

This is **FAILURE **of massive proportions!

Took a very simple process of 3 steps and 5s and turned into a 12 step process taking a minute or more to capture a receipt on a mobile phone.

The product manager **FAILED **to realize that the entire point of capturing a receipt for most of us was to capture it at the point of purchase so we DON'T have to manage receipts. This new bizarre complex process is not productive to small businesses - your target market.

This sure feels like a change to benefit you (WAVE) and not your customer.

Seriously, we've given this new process a month and its still as awful as ever. Very disappointed considering I was told you talked with customers yet I know 10 active customers who used the app all the time and were providing constructive feedback, yet non were contacted. Doesn't feel like you contacted customers and again did this for you, not your customer.~~~~

• NJANJA Member Posts: 11 ✭✭

Wave just sent me a survey as they're trying to entice users to process their taxes at H&R Block. I would suggest everyone respond if you receive this survey. Basically I said that I wouldn't switch my tax processing to a company that doesn't care about the needs of their user base. I hope that they get the message that they're about to lose MAJOR business because of their negligence to protect the needs their loyal users.

Just a suggestion in the hope that they will listen and act like a real software company!

edited July 13, 2021
  • richardsj1richardsj1 Member Posts: 1

I've been using Wave for a couple of years now and I've endured their ridiculously clunky product and complete lack of support because of the low cost and free features.

It's clear that they do not value customer feedback and never have. I've pointed out multiple errors in their product and dead-end user flows to them (I've worked in the industry for 8 years on several different apps and products) – genuinely tried to help them by flagging blatant bugs and issues in their product – but they completely disregarded it.

There is a serious lack of feedback happening between this company and its users – and it seems a serious lack of communication internally at Wave. Their product team is clearly dysfunctional, their customer care team seems to be completely disconnected and isn't providing any feedback to the product team, and it seems like their leadership lost the plot and is living on different planet.

If I didn't know any better I would assume Wave never thought about the 2nd and 3rd order consequences with this move – but I find it hard to believe that no one objected to this internally at Wave. They must not be thoroughly vetting their product roadmap with key stakeholders. The lack of communication between Wave and its customers must be an endemic issue at Wave that plagues their internal teams as well.

That being said, them deprecating OCR image processing – one of their most valuable features – was the last straw for me. This forces users to manually input receipt details whereas it was previously automatically done. You've now taken time away from me and my business by dropping this on us.

I will no longer be wasting my time with Wave – time to switch.

• Elyada_FarmElyada_Farm Member Posts: 2

This development is taking us back to the middle ages... Please!

• Richard_LRichard_L Member Posts: 5

@NJA said:
    Wave just sent me a survey as they're trying to entice users to process their taxes at H&R Block. I would suggest everyone respond if you receive this survey. Basically I said that I wouldn't switch my tax processing to a company that doesn't care about the needs of their user base. I hope that they get the message that they're about to lose MAJOR business because of their negligence to protect the needs their loyal users.

Just a suggestion in the hope that they will listen and act like a real software company!

I did the same. I doubt that they will listen to it anymore than the negative feedback that they have already received, but it's worth a shot. At this point I'm not sure they even care about their customers feedback. A poor business model if there ever was one.

• _Derek__Derek_ Member Posts: 62 ✭✭

I also have been told three times now that the primary reason for this change was because of duplicate transactions that are created.
    The ironic part of this justification based on what you implemented is it doesn't actually solve this problem. We create a transaction with the receipt and then get another when the transaction imported from the credit card company.
    This solution did not solve the stated problem. This so called "enhanced" solution did nothing but actually reduced functionality, removed the AI, and created more work while making us look bad in front of our clients.
    I have no idea who sold this bill of non-sense to management. Again - had to be some internal win at the expense of the customer.

• bmeadowsbmeadows Member Posts: 1

The receipt scan was the sole purpose for me signing up and using this service. I suppose I'll move on to an alternative now.

• MGDMGD Member Posts: 6
    Really disappointed in this change. It’s as if there was no consideration of your end user. For someone who typically used receipt OCR scanning at point of purchase, and uses a credit card that cannot be linked, and needs to separate GST from the total, AND routinely is in areas that don’t have the best cellular reception to constantly log in, this change from the receipts app go from amazing to almost useless.
  • ALPMALPM Member Posts: 4

Just tried to get my receipts up to date, as it's a rainy day. Thanks for nothing Wave, you just added to my admin time by about 10 times what it used to take with the OCR receipt method and has more chance of mistakes.
    This reminds me of a very old Accountant I had that used to operate with old school methods, when I showed him Wave OCR receipts, he was shocked at the time savings. He'll be happy you guys are only taking the Accountants approach and ignoring your customer feedback and requirements. I guess I'll need to spend more time and effort getting to another accounting package as we can't afford the time and frustration of this backwards change.
    OFFER BOTH OPTIONS!!!!!

• misswedmisswed Member Posts: 3

I'm very disappointed to lose the receipts functionality. As janky and imperfect as it was, the OCR function was the most useful aspect of your entire product for me. It enabled me to quickly take a picture of a receipt on the go, or upload a digital receipt quickly, and then be able to properly process and assign to categories later when I had more time to devote to it.

Now I have to enter every transaction manually, then attach the receipt, and I will absolutely lose receipts or forget I have something to add in.

I cannot connect my bank accounts to Wave.

I am about to grow my self employed business and I was seriously considering starting to accept payments through Wave and paying for a more complex product, but now I will definitely not be doing that.

• misswedmisswed Member Posts: 3

@SteveMylo said:
    WAVE has completely deleted all my receipts that I was going to go through. I can't believe this. All my tax receipts deleted cause they shutdown and moved it to a different receipt format. I'm in Australia and they said no humans support, only robot. WTF!!

Steve, if you have not yet deleted the receipts app, check if your unprocessed receipts are still there. Mine were! And I was able to process them and post to accounting. I was very relieved because I thought I'd lost a whole load of receipts.

• VtgTrailerBizVtgTrailerBiz Member Posts: 2

Please, PLEASE, release a new receipts app that allows us to image receipts into the software from a mobile app (not a browser). Even if it doesn't include OCR, it would still be immensely helpful for those of us who want to scan a receipt on the go with our phones. Your "solution" for using a mobile web browser is ridiculous and cumbersome. I can understand the reasoning behind not wanting to create a bunch of duplicates with the OCR technology, but seriously guys, you are pissing off loyal customers because this "solution" for that problem is actually a service takeaway. Please re-launch an app that allows us to image receipts on the go, so that we can later match them up manually to the transactions that are auto-loaded from connected bank accounts.

• ConceportaConceporta Member Posts: 1
    Waveapp Development team, just like many other Waveapp lovers, I must say that I am also disappointed. Not sure why you have made this change, which is making Waveapp less of an easy-to-use, great accounting software that helps many small businesses. Please improve user experience, not the other way around.
  • perryf45perryf45 Member Posts: 2

Very disappointed with the updates to the receipts feature. It is very difficult and cumbersome to upload one receipt at a time when I use to doing them in bulk, categorizing them so I can review them in transaction. Unclear how to do the bulk load of receipts that I take pics on iPad before processing on computer. How is one supposed to take a pic using computers that is efficient process. :( These changes did not take into account the end user experience.

edited July 17, 2021
  • tonywangtonywang Member Posts: 1

Very disappointed with dropping receipt feature. I have been using Wave for years just because of the feature. Now I'm forced to look away. Good job!

• J_B_J_B_ Member Posts: 1

Extremely disappointed to see the email receipts feature go away. If I have to do everything manually, I may as well go back to just using excel on my desktop.

• perryf45perryf45 Member Posts: 2

Uploading receipts is no longer a simple process. Very manual you have to enter every single detail as the software no longer automatically enters date, dollar amount and description. Terrible!!

• jreddyjreddy Member Posts: 1

We really don't like that the receipt processing was removed. It was one of the main decisions to use Wave as our accounting platform. Very disappointed in this decision and hoping that the team will reconsider and bring it back. Uploading receipts to create transactions was so easy! This new way kinda sucks and is a step backwards.

• NoLongerAnUserNoLongerAnUser Member Posts: 1

H&R Block acquired Wave and destroyed its value. The software is so crumblesome to use to the point -- where users will ditch it regardless the switching barrier.

Shame that the Founder of Wave -- Kirk Simpson has no say. This H&R Block and Mr Simpson left such a bad taste to all the users.

This is a prefect example of HOW NOT TO DO A M&A DEAL. Changing too much too fast, and changing backwards.

• usedtoloveWaveusedtoloveWave Member Posts: 1

Funny that the best feature from this app (the receipts processing feature) is removed not long after H & R Block buy it. Trying to make it harder for small businesses to do their own taxes is not cool. I am expecting Wave will keep getting picked apart till it is no longer worth using now that H & R Block own it.

• Anna_NollAnna_Noll Member Posts: 1

That was the main reason why I used Wave, or the last 2.5 years, for that option ( receipt tracking) that I was able to take a picture of my receipt. In stead of delating that option I would gladly pay a fee. I guess time to look for a better software.

• Tim_HowardTim_Howard Member Posts: 1

Maybe Zoho have tasked H & R to buy out Wave, shut it down by killing it off its features and retrieve their expenses by users migrating to Zoho and the renewing their subscriptions year on year (maybe with a eventual price hike!)!!! Buy out and kill the competition!!!

• Alex_PAlex_P Member Posts: 1

How can I automatically add receipts like I did with the email send feature? It is a lot of work adding each one. This feels like a step backwards. There should be bulk or auto uploading and then able to connect them to existing transactions (which I've built into apps for other uses; it's quite effective).

• HTCHTC Member Posts: 2

Is there a way to upload receipts and hold them in a "gallery" or something of the sort? Without the receipt app, I now have to keep a pile of receipts on my desk until the transaction clears my bank and shows up in Wave days later. I am now WEEKS behind in my accounting, with numerous missing receipts. Removing the receipt app is absolutely a step backward.

• pnaw10pnaw10 Member Posts: 3

Wondering if there could be a way to alter the "Transactions" page to show, at a glance, whether a receipt was uploaded for each expense item. Would make it easier (than clicking each item, then clicking the receipts tab) to quickly tell which items might be missing receipts, so I can make sure I get them all caught-up.

• jbueltejbuelte Member Posts: 1

I didn't realize that Wave had changed the way receipts were uploaded and I have still been uploading them in the app. Now when I go to review them and post to accounting (like we used to do) it just says "unknown merchant" and is unable to retrieve my receipt to view it. Is there a way to go back and be able to view these receipts?

• DanielleEDanielleE Member Posts: 1

Seriously! This is BS, can't believe you all took this away. IT was the only reason I chose Wave and now i have to look elsewhere, smh. My advice, introduce a receipt uploading app ASAP. Nothing was easier than snapping a picture of your receipts with your phone and having them uploaded in the system for you.

• CMEAJCMEAJ Member Posts: 1

This is DUMB. Why would you make it MORE difficult to book keep The whole point of WAVE was making it EASY for a small business to book keep. Why do I have to GOOGLE to find out WTF you guys moved this feature to, only to find out, its pretty much gone.

OCR is the future, why have you taken this away.