Guide to recurring invoices

Comments

• seanvoseanvo Member Posts: 6

Sure can. Each month I send out recurring invoices. Let's say they get sent out on the 25th of each month. When a client receives that invoice, they need the invoice to specify which month the invoice is for. Is it for the current month, or is it for the next month? If a recurring invoice went out June 25th, I'd want the item detail to say "for the month of June." In another invoicing software, you could use variables to specify how it would turn out. I'd love the same ability with Wave as I make the switch.

For instance, %month% would insert current month. %month+1% would be the next month. %quarter% would specify the current quarter (1, 2, 3, or 4). and %quarter+1% would insert the current quarter number plus 1.

I'd be glad to send you to the help page of the other software that does it, but you might not want me to post it publicly. I can private message you or email you, whatever would work best. Sean

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @seanvo! Thanks so much for getting back to us with that context! It is not something that is available in Wave currently, but I would be happy to pass your feedback along to our Product Team and of course, if you have the time, feel free to send me a DM with more information! :smile:

• ShereeHShereeH Member Posts: 1

Is it possible to create recurring invoices to go out on the last Friday of every month? This would save me so much time! At the moment, it looks like I can only select specific dates or the first and last dates.

• MyronMyron Member Posts: 143 admin

Hi @ShereeH , welcome to the Wave Community! I'm afraid that setting the recurring invoice scheduler to repeat on a specific day of the week every month is not possible in Wave at this time. I spoke with the Product Team that is working on Recurring Invoices about your comments, and I'm afraid that such a feature is not something that can be expected in the foreseeable future. With that being said though, this certainly does not mean that it will never be implemented in Wave. Customer feedback is very important to us at Wave as it helps us decide what features to focus our attention on and what to build next in Wave. I'm sorry that this feature is currently not available, but we do very much appreciate you taking the time to post in our Community. We are very excited to have you onboard with us here at Wave!

edited July 12, 2019
  • dan777dan777 Member Posts: 10

Currently, if I use checkouts to bill a client for an annual service, then after the initial payment, I need to manually go in and create a recurring invoice. As far as I can tell, the recurring invoice is not in any way "tied" to the initial payment. What happens if after I create the recurring invoice the client decides to cancel his/her service? It would be nice to somehow automate the process of cancelling the recurring invoice in that case, as well.

Hi @dan777 ! I am happy to see you making use of Checkout by Wave! Checkout is ideal for one-time fees for a single product/service. To invoice your client for a service that may become recurring, might I suggest that you create a regular invoice through Sales > Invoices to collect that initial payment. Regular invoices can be converted into recurring invoices should the need for it arise. To make a regular invoice recurring, click the desired Invoice under Sales > Invoices, then click the More actions button at the top of the Summary page for that specific invoice, then click Make recurring. This will direct you to the recurring invoice creation page, where you can set the schedule. That's it! You will have now created a new recurring invoice from that regular invoice. This recurring invoice will automatically end based on the end conditions set in the recurring invoice scheduler. If you need to end the recurring invoice early, please find it under Sales > Recurring Invoices, click the little downwards arrow button to the right of the recurring invoice and select End.

• dan777dan777 Member Posts: 10

This sounds like a good solution, but I need to create the original invoice using an automated process, otherwise, it's really not going to work for my purposes. Can I use something like Ninja Forms to populate (and create) the original invoice using Zapier? If the answer is yes, I will be very happy.

• CoEvoMarketingCoEvoMarketing Member Posts: 2

Hi! Is there a way to use a recurring invoice as a "base" invoice? For instance, each of our clients pays a certain amount to our company each month for retaining our services and for recurring basic services. However, we often do additional work for these clients that would not recur on a monthly basis. It would be nice to have a recurring invoice that includes their base recurring charges, and have the ability to edit that invoice to add additional fees without making permanent changes to the recurring invoice. Thank you!

Hi @dan777 , there is a Wave + Ninja Forms integration through Zapier. I have linked the integration page below, however the integration may not do everything that you are looking for.

https://zapier.com/apps/wave/integrations/ninjaforms

Hi @CoEvoMarketing , thanks for reaching out! With a recurring invoice set up, you are able to edit it to add/remove products and services. This will allow you to edit the Recurring Invoice to add a product/service when needed and to remove it again after. The recurring invoice can be edited by going to Invoices > Recurring Invoices, clicking the downwards arrow button to the right of the recurring invoice and select Edit. Please note that if you do have automatic billing turned on, your client will have to re-authorize automatic billing if the recurring invoice is edited. Another way to handle this would be to use the recurring invoice only to collect the recurring basic service, and create new individual invoices under Sales > Invoices for any additional services rendered.

edited August 1, 2019
  • CoEvoMarketingCoEvoMarketing Member Posts: 2

@Myron Thank you. This is how we currently do it, I was just hoping to find an easier way as to not have to go back and remove additional items afterward.

@CoEvoMarketing It looks like you are currently doing this in the most efficient way. We appreciate you reaching out and sharing your thoughts about this. Our Product Teams are always looking through Community posts to build a picture of what our users want to see next in Wave.

• mythmakrmythmakr Member Posts: 2

I have a client in the path of hurricane Dorian. They may be closed next week during which time they should be paying my recurring invoice (every two weeks). In the recurring settings the invoice is sent to me and I forward it to them. Short of changing the schedule on the recurring invoice, is there a way to generate the next invoice so I can send it early?

edited August 30, 2019
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @mythmakr

There isn't a way to send an invoice sooner than the schedule it's set to. You'd likely want to create a regular invoice and send that to your client instead. Your recurring will continue to send on that schedule but you can tell your client to disregard it, and delete it from your list of all invoices once it gets sent.

• mythmakrmythmakr Member Posts: 2

@BarsinA Thanks. I ended up duplicating the existing recurring invoice and setting the duplicate to only occur once.

• rolapsrolaps Member Posts: 1

@Ayde said:
    I found out from Tech support, that once a recurring invoice is created as a draft or sent... It cannot be deleted. So if you decide that you dont want to send it, it still stays on your list. Even if you delete that old customer's information from your files , their recurring invoices still stay on your file.
    I think there should be a way to be able to delete recurring invoices, just like regular invoices can. I think that recurring invoice option is a great time saver. ( that is one feature that i liked about it ) But i I don't know if i want every invoice ever created in the history of my business , old and new, to stay on my account. Thats a lot of wasted space in my opinion.

Ayde's query was not responded to and i have the same challenge. What is Wave doing about it.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @rolaps! Thanks for reaching out. There is currently no way to delete a draft recurring invoice within Wave. If you'd like, you can leave that draft as-is for now, and then edit it to suit your customer the next time you have a need for a recurring invoice. Otherwise, you would need to start that recurring invoice, and then end it immediately. We don't currently have any other solutions to this challenge.

• ChrisjcChrisjc Member Posts: 2

Is it possible to create bi-monthly recurring invoices? I would love to see the ability to create a recurring invoice with custom ability to set dates. Exactly how it is setup now for Custom but be able to and "Custom Date 1" && "Custom Date 2" && "Custom Date 3", etc.

For now, I assume the best way for me to create a bi-monthly invoice (1st & 15th) would be to create two separate recurring invoices with the same client, name, info, etc.?

Thanks

Hey @Chrisjc! Thanks for reaching out. As far as bi-monthly invoicing from one recurring schedule goes, that's not something that's currently possible within Wave. The workaround you'd suggested with the two separate recurring invoices sounds like a great idea, though!

• Annahend24_Annahend24_ Member Posts: 3
    What left navigation menu?

@Annahend24_ the menu should populate a 'Sales' tab, which you can click into to see the recurring invoices option.

• TknoneTknone Member Posts: 1
    How do I delete a recurring invoice draft?
  • dansx6dansx6 Member Posts: 6

Hi @Samd, has there been any further thought for having the option to show cumulative balance due on recurring invoices? It has been a year since I began using Wave and the inability to do this is becoming a problem for me.

• learning_tool20learning_tool20 Member Posts: 1

Hi
    Can you pause a recurring invoice for just 1 payment?

• locolylelocolyle Member Posts: 1

Is there an easy way to make a one-time edit to recurring invoices? And if so, if the client has automatic payments set up, would their automatic debit reflect the one-time edit to their recurring invoice?

Hey @Tknone! At present, it is not possible to delete a recurring invoice draft. To manage this, you can begin and then immediately end the recurring invoice, or simply leave it as a draft until such a time when you need to create a new recurring invoice.

@dansx6 Unfortunately this is not something that is on the roadmap at present for recurring invoices. This does not necessarily mean that it will never be implemented, however it means it could be quite some time before this is considered.

@learning_tool20 This is not possible at present. You would need to end the recurring schedule and then re-start it when the next invoice is meant to be sent.

@locolyle This would be something you would need to do as a one-time invoice. You'd have to end the recurring invoice, create a single invoice and send it with the edit, and then create a new recurring invoice to restart the recurring schedule.

• LarchmontBuzzLarchmontBuzz Member Posts: 1

I have a customer who switched credit cards recently, and now his recurring invoice no longer automatically charges his card each month (I have to do it manually after the invoice is sent out). How can I return him to automatic payments?

Hey @LarchmontBuzz! In order to get your customer back on automatic payments, you'd need to set it up as if it were the first time, since they have a new card :) You'll need to create a new recurring invoice. Follow the steps in that link and you should be all set!

• GurishaGurisha Member Posts: 13

Hello, I was looking for how to reactive an ended recurring invoice. I accidentally ended a recurring invoice and was wondering if there is a way to redo it with out having to start a fresh

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there Gurisha,

Unfortunately you cannot reinstate an ended recurring invoice, but you could select the arrow beside the ended invoice and duplicate it. You will have to resend it and adjust the amount that they owe on the invoice at this point however.