Guide to recurring invoices

Comments

• Leslie15Leslie15 Member Posts: 1

The wrong address populated and editing the address of the customer doesn't change it. How can I fix this error on a recurring invoice?

• GarthHoriganGarthHorigan Member Posts: 3

Not very helpful. I wanted to know if there is a similar automatic process for expenses (e.g. rent, water etc)

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @Leslie15

If you head to your Sales > Customers > Edit the customer info, it should update when you select the billing button under the existing recurring invoice
    1. Update your customer info under the customer section
    2. Refresh the page
    3. Head back to your recurring invoice under Sales > Recurring invoices and select edit 'your customer'. In my example I called them "consulting stuff"

4. Then when you select the billing tab there should be an updated address here.

If you're seeing an error would you mind letting us know with some screenshots? Also if you haven't cleared your cash or cookies on your browser please try this as well :smile:

• OdedOded Member Posts: 5

Is it possible to set up an email notification when a recurring invoice has spawned a new invoice that needs manual sending? I can't figure out how to do this. Some of my invoices require additional action (getting a new PO from the client, etc.) so I don't want to automatically send them. But then I have no reminder when they've been created and waiting to be handled...

Hey there @Oded

Unfortunately this type of email automation/customization is not yet available in Wave at this time. My apologies. As always we appreciate the feedback and the idea posted on our public forum! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have other questions!

• SperaSpera Member Posts: 1

Hello when will this feature of automatic payments be available in South Africa? I am getting more and more clients that want to use Wave however they are turned away because payment feature is not available in South Africa

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Spera! Unfortunately at present we do not have plans to bring this feature to South Africa. I do apologize for the inconvenience here.

• DWPSoundsDWPSounds Member Posts: 4

How much is billed each month? Can you set that amount? Say I want to charge my client 100.00 per month until the invoice is paid in full. Is that possible?

Hey @DWPSounds! Definitely possible! With that said, the recurring invoice feature isn't a feature that would reduce the amount of an owing invoice, necessarily. This feature creates a new invoice on a timeline that you set, so you could choose to set up a recurring invoice for whichever amount you would like, for x amount of months, for example.

• LudovicLudovic Member Posts: 1

Hello,
    I have monthly subscription plans offered to my clients and a request I have from clients is to have each month's invoice to have the name of the month being invoiced in as a reference.
    Example: invoice sent in august, email sent: your recurring invoice for august (or September if you're sending invoice in august for a service delivered in September).
    The reason is that if there's many invoices sent with the same title, they get confused and loose track of it in their inbox.

If the feature already exist, let me know how to implement it, if not, is there any plans to add it or will I have to do manual invoices every month, even for recurring payments?

Thanks,
    LM

Hey @Ludovic! Thanks for reaching out here. Unfortunately, this would not be something that is possible currently in Wave. There are no current plans to implement a feature like this. You would need to manually invoice for titles to appear as such.

• darylphuahdarylphuah Member Posts: 2

Would it be possible to set a recurring invoice with dates in the item description? Could be some form of placeholder text like %STARTDATE% %ENDDDATE% %MONTHSTART% %MONTHEND% %YEARSTART% %YEAREND%

A recurring invoice without such an ability is severely limited as invoices need to reflect the duration of a service.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @darylphuah , you can always edit the item name itself to include this information although if you're using this item across Wave, you'd be better off adding this information into the Item Description.

• darylphuahdarylphuah Member Posts: 2

@AlexL said:

Hey @darylphuah , you can always edit the item name itself to include this information although if you're using this item across Wave, you'd be better off adding this information into the Item Description.

Thanks for the response, but that is not a viable solution, Each customer might have a different start/end point to their subscriptions. If we have to edit the item each time for a recurring invoice, we might as well be doing the invoices manually. The whole point of a recurring invoice is to remove that step for the business owners.

• CindyKCindyK Member Posts: 1

I have recurring invoices reverting back to old customer emails rather than using the email updated in the software.
    Any ideas why this is happening?

Hey there @CindyK

Unfortunately a recurring invoice will not be able to be changed. You will need to end the invoice and create a new one in order to add the new customer email. I do apologize for this however presently this is the workaround.

• SonicSonic Member Posts: 2

Hi,
    The Irish government have reduced the standard rate of sales tax from 23% to 21%. I have a number of recurring invoices that went out at 23% that should have been 21%.

Question 1: How can I easily edit my sales tax for all future invoices going forward?

Question 2: What is the best way to rectify the over charging in wave?

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Sonic ! To edit your sales tax percentage, head over to Settings > Sales Taxes and press the pen icon beside the tax in question. You will be prompted to a new page where you will be able to enter the new tax rate and your desired effective date.

For your second question, are you referring to over payments? If so, then you can either refund your customer the difference or apply the overpayment to a future invoice. We have a great Help Center article on how to handle this in Wave. Check it out here.

edited October 2, 2020
  • AntonioBurkettAntonioBurkett Member Posts: 2

I have multiple customers with multiple recurring invoices. Their due dates are all different. The problem: When a recurring invoice is sent to a customer, the system uses the most recent customer's invoice number as the invoice number of the next customer. Example: My customers are John and Jacob. John's recurring invoice that was sent has an invoice number of "JOHN1". Jacob's recurring invoice that was sent has an invoice number of "JOHN2". From that point on, I have to adjust each recurring invoice number for both customers. Even after I do that, it will use the last invoice number sent to whichever customer and increase it by one (1). How do I make John's invoice numbers remain the same (and increase by 1) and Jacob's invoice numbers remain the same (and increase by 1)? I hope this is clear.

• DaveWDaveW Member Posts: 1

I want to deactivate ALL recurring invoices in an entity. Is there a way to do this with one command or do I have to go into each individual client and do this. We have hundreds of clients and it would take a lot of time to do this manually.
    Thanks.

Hey @AntonioBurkett , I've responded to your message in your other thread 🙂.

Hi @DaveW , I' afraid that you do have to manually end each recurring invoice.

• kfabFFkfabFF Member Posts: 2

As multiple Wave users have indicated in the comments it would be great to have more flexibility in the amounts charged for each recurring invoice. For our business, we charge a deposit amount of $1,000 but then each subsequent invoice is a different amount depending the total amount owed. The current function of duplicating each invoice with the same amount is not helpful to us and is not applicable to how we bill our clients. I don't want to have to create an individual invoice for each payment because this is time consuming.

Also, please add an option to delete recurring invoices. If I make a mistake when creating invoices or something changes in how a customer wants to be billed I want to delete the invoice all together, not just mark it as 'Ended'.

• Miss_Dori_TutoringMiss_Dori_Tutoring Member Posts: 10

I have three questions for a service-based business:

1) Is there a way to automatically import service dates for a customer from Google Calendar? (So that it picks up the date, time, & length of service to bill?). This would be an amazing feature. If it doesn't already exist, could it be recommended as a future addition?

2) Assuming 1 above is not possible, is there a way to tell the recurring invoice to automatically populate every "Wednesday 6-7 PM" and have it fill in the corresponding Wednesday dates within the invoice period?

3) For the invoice #, is there an option to separate them for each client? Eg. John 1, John 2; Mary 1, Mary 2; etc? It's confusing for a client to receive their first invoice and it says a random number, such as Invoice #37. Further, it's tedious to have to manually change this for every single invoice.

Thank you.

Hi @Miss_Dori_Tutoring , I'll answer your questions in order:
    1. There is not a way to handle this at the moment.
    2. You can have the recurring invoice repeat weekly on Wednesday, but they send out early in the morning so you can't specify an exact time.
    3. There is no option to separate the invoice # by client. When the recurring invoice is created and it generates the invoice #, it will automatically add +1 to the largest invoice # in your system at the moment. If the largest invoice # you have for example is 105, the subsequent invoice # will be 106.

• AshaoAshao Member Posts: 2

If I create a Custom Recurring Invoice set to every 28 days, will the invoice stick to this 4 week schedule regardless of if the client pays late (or if their card is declined, etc.)? In other words, is the 28 day schedule based on the date the first invoice is created or the date they pay the invoice?

• WarrickWarrick Member Posts: 2

My Setting in Recurring Invoices are set for send as email is: wgcawood@gmail.com but the automatic recurring invoice are sent as From: Cawood Property mailer@waveapps.com ?
    How do I correct this as some clients do not receive these emails and I must send to myself and then resend from my email?

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @Ashao !

Great question. That's right, the schedule is based on the date the first invoice is created. The invoice will stick to the schedule regardless if the previous invoices where paid or not.

Hi @Warrick !

Emails that are automatically generated through Wave are sent by our mailer@waveapps.com email address. If your customers are not receiving these emails, this means that their address is blocking incoming emails from Wave. To prevent this from happening in the future, please have them white list our mailer@waveapps.com email.

• WarrickWarrick Member Posts: 2

Julian; I see that it is sent by mailer@waveapps.com but there is an option in the Recurring Invoices Settings for the Reply to Email, which I have set to my email? Why have this option if it is not used when sending Automatic Invoices while all Manual or Reminders and Resend are defaulting to my email address?

• paulkpaulk Member Posts: 1

Can I set a specific invoice number to start my recurring invoices at, and have it continue generating from this number? In may case, I have multiple different invoice # for my varying services, but I only want one invoice # style to be set to recurring without it generating an invoice # of similar style as another product/service of mine.

Hey @Warrick , this option is there so that when your customers do actually reply to you, that's the email that is listed. Because we send emails through our server, they will always send through mailer@waveapps.com .