Options

Upload bank and credit card statements

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageUpload bank and credit card statements

If you don't want to connect your bank or credit card to Wave, or if your bank isn't among the 10,000 financial institutions that Wave supports, uploading your statements is a great way to avoid th...

Read the full story here

edited November 26, 2018 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• Options
    erikaspeirserikaspeirs Member Posts: 2

For some reason two months worth of statements never automatically uploaded from my bank to my wave account, so I manually uploaded them as csv following the instructions here. When I did so, both times all of the transactions came into wave as deposits though they were a mix of withdrawals and deposits, and even when I categorized the transactions as expenses, they still show as deposits but with a (-) negative but still in green when they should be in red. This has now made my accounts look like I have way more money than I really do...please help!

• Options
    livinglightshowslivinglightshows Member Posts: 7

Step 3 "Manage Your Transactions" states: "After you upload the file, Wave will add the transactions in the file to the Imported Transactions page." Where is this "Imported Transactions Page"?

• Options
    tekfranztekfranz Member Posts: 23

OK, there is a temporary workaround to the issue. upload your sheet to Google Drive and Open it as a Google Sheet. Then Download it as a CSV. it will fix any import issues.

• Options
    icefeatherwindicefeatherwind Member Posts: 7

@erikaspeirs said:
    For some reason two months worth of statements never automatically uploaded from my bank to my wave account, so I manually uploaded them as csv following the instructions here. When I did so, both times all of the transactions came into wave as deposits though they were a mix of withdrawals and deposits, and even when I categorized the transactions as expenses, they still show as deposits but with a (-) negative but still in green when they should be in red. This has now made my accounts look like I have way more money than I really do...please help!

Same thing has happened to me - the deposits and withdrawals are switched around in my imported transactions.

• Options

@tekfranz said:
    OK, there is a temporary workaround to the issue. upload your sheet to Google Drive and Open it as a Google Sheet. Then Download it as a CSV. it will fix any import issues.

I gave this a go but now the transactions won't even display in my Transactions tab. X( No idea what I'm doing wrong.

• Options
    tekfranztekfranz Member Posts: 23

@icefeatherwind said:

@tekfranz said:

I gave this a go but now the transactions won't even display in my Transactions tab. X( No idea what I'm doing wrong.

OK, do you have the correct account selected and did you check for other dates in case the date was not imported correctly?

If you filter by un-approved does it show up then?

• Options

I tried that but no luck. I ended up removing all the transactions, and relinking the bank account to start again. I'm going to try again using a different format to upload (not CSV).

• Options
    gabrieltomescugabrieltomescu Member Posts: 33 admin

@erikaspeirs @icefeatherwind When uploading a statement, please make sure that you are selecting the correct column for your amounts, as per below.

On the Transactions page, the transactions will be imported as withdrawals, and their amounts will be in black text. We currently don't display a "-" for withdrawal transactions. We have black for expenses, green for income, and blue for journals.

If you have having issues with the spreadsheet format, please try a CSV format instead. Thanks @tekfranz for chipping in.

edited January 17, 2019
  • Options
    gabrieltomescugabrieltomescu Member Posts: 33 admin

@livinglightshows You can find the "Imported Transactions Page" from the left-hand navigation, under Accounting > Transactions.

• Options
    LouieLouie Member Posts: 1

Same thing. Every time I import a statement, select the proper account (a liability as a credit card account), the transactions show as green (sales). No way to change them to expenses. PLUS this is becoming more of a hassle than worth using Wave. First the imports dont work automatically and now even using the statements don't work. #youhaveonejob

• Options
    Foobar34Foobar34 Member Posts: 1

Thank you wave! I just uploaded my bank account statements and multiple credit card statements into Wave with no issue. It handled everything correctly and I should be able to complete my taxes within a day. After reading the comments on this webpage, I thought nothing was going to work correctly and I had prepared myself for a total disaster. Glad that's not the case. I'm not impressed with many software applications I've used, but this one is good; especially considering that it's FREE!

• Options
    bazbaz Member Posts: 3

I have uploaded a monthly bank statement in .qbo format for January (same think I've done for the previous year) - I receive the message that the transactions are uploading and check back in a few minutes. The transactions do not show in my transactions list. When I try to reimport the .qbo file, I receive the warning "Potential Duplicate Transactions". I went ahead an imported again, but still do not see the transactions in my transactions list. What am I doing wrong. I'm in all stop mode due to the problem. Really appreciate the help!!!

• Options
    CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hey @baz thanks for bringing this to our attention. Is this year's file significantly larger than last year's? It's difficult for us to troubleshoot .qbo files directly so I just want to confirm whether you have any other filetype options available to you that we can help you get into Wave? Let me know!

• Options

No significant differences. Probably a total of 20 transactions. Per your team's recommendations I tried with Chrome - same result. I have also tried with a different version of the same QBO file - same result. I get the little spinning arrows telling me to wait a few minutes, but the transactions never show up. This file was for the month of January. I have subsequently successfully uploaded transactions for February using exactly the same method and browser and the transactions showed up immediately. I guess my only option is to manually post all the January transactions. Any other ideas?

• Options

Thank-you for resolving this problem!! I'm so happy - my transactions are all there and January reconciled without a problem. Thanks!

• Options
    bluekablsbluekabls Member Posts: 1

Hi, When i do an import of my transactions in CSV format Wave says it will flag anything that it thinks is a duplicate however this does not happen. Any suggestions?

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@bluekabls Just to clarify, are there for sure transactions that have already been imported into Wave that would be duplicates from the bank statements that you are uploading? Usually the descriptor and amount will be a dead giveaway when it comes to these transactions, so if they are identical, our software will recognize this and make sure they are not imported.

• Options
    SafakaySafakay Member Posts: 1

When I try to import a .QFX file, I receive the warning "Potential Duplicate Transactions". I choose to confirm that is OK , I still don't see any transactions . This problem started after the new update, can anyone know what to do here , thanks.

• Options
    WindwitcherWindwitcher Member Posts: 2

I just tried importing a QBO file with January bank transactions to Wave the same way I have done 5-6 times in the past. The transactions are not appearing. I then repeated an import using a QFX format with no difference. There is a light blue bar across the top showing that it was importing which said to wait for a few minutes but nothing shows up. I can not find any link, or buttons under "accounting/transactions" indicating another link for "imported transactions". I separately downloaded from the bank using a CSV format there are 7 transactions in the file. I filtered on uncategorized and have also tried sorting on dates to see if they are hidden but still no sign of them. it looks to be a similar problem to other threads. any suggestions ?

• Options
    WindwitcherWindwitcher Member Posts: 2

I logged back in after leaving them overnight and both imports showed up in the account. These should appear almost instantaneous, and certainly less than 10 minutes.

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@Safakay @Windwitcher The processing time for your transactions to upload after you import a CSV file should definitely not take longer than 10 minutes here. Have you tried clearing your cached data/cookies then uploading these files to see if they appear sooner than that? If so, we may need to do a bit of further investigating to find out what could be going on. One other thing to mention, we've recently launched a new feature which may simplify/make importing/exporting into Wave easier; https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272-Wave-Connect-Easily-import-and-export-data-with-Wave-s-Google-Sheets-add-on-

• Options
    BuzzhornBuzzhorn Member Posts: 4

I just imported a one-line CSV and still haven't seen the transactions even after over 10 mins. Someone on chat is saying it could take up to 72 hours. That sounds unreasonable for this kind of feature. If so, you should have a status page so I can see the status of long-running jobs like this.

• Options
    SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @Buzzhorn, that is a good call, and I'll put in a feature request. Generally speaking CSV upload and categorization time can vary, but with a one-line CSV it shouldn't be stretching into the 72-hour period. Did it successfully upload eventually? And if so how long did it end up taking? AS @JamieD mentioned, a good alternative is our Wave Connect integration with Google Sheets, which should be a lot more user friendly and efficient.

• Options
    BuzzhornBuzzhorn Member Posts: 4

Hi @Samd. It did eventually work. I went for coffee and came back 1/2 hour later and it was there. There was really no indication of what was going on and whether it was eventually going to work or not. That one-liner was a test to import existing Stripe transactions, so the "account" I was importing to was a "money in motion" account called "Unreconciled Stripe Payments". Was to be a one-time thing, since I have a Zap for ongoing stuff. Unfortunately I hit another snag. I had 3 transactions in that account already (from testing my Zap), and even though I removed those three from my CSV, and even though the dates of my CSV did not overlap with those three, I still got the "You have overlapping transactions" dialog. Worse, when I said "Import Anyway" it didn't do it. I then removed those transactions so there was nothing at all in that account and tried again, but no matter what I did I still got that "you have overlapping transactions" dialog. I ended up having to import them into a different account and manually move them all over.

• Options
    AnotherWaveAppsUserAnotherWaveAppsUser Member Posts: 2

This is extremely frustrating. I have four years experience uploading CSV files to wavapps so I know I am doing it correctly. I uploaded a 5 line CSV file and 30 minutes later the transactions are still not present. I signed into my bank and downloaded the same transactions using the Microsoft Money OFX format. It downloaded a 2kb file. The 2kb OFX file was uploaded but again the transactions do not show up. I'm seeing lots of comments from other users about broken uploads.

Does anyone from waveapps have any ETA when uploads will work again? Please don't point to Google sheets integration as a solution if that doesn't really work either.

• Options
    AnotherWaveAppsUserAnotherWaveAppsUser Member Posts: 2

And, almost an hour later the 5 CSV transactions showed up. The 5 OFX transactions appeared soon afterwards as well but it was easy to delete the duplicates. The transactions are taking a very long time to load but they do eventually show up. Other than this glitch I think Wave accounting is a great product. Definitely can't complain about the price!

• Options
    Mark_medMark_med Member Posts: 1

Wish somewhere wave would let the user know these uploads will take 24 to 48 hours instead of the banner at the top of the screen saying “please check back in a few minutes”

• Options
    Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@AnotherWaveAppsUser thanks for updating us; glad to hear it was eventually imported! @Mark_med that's a fair point. This may be a good opportunity for us to refine the in-app copy, or at least review other test cases where the upload time stretches on like this. If anyone else has similar wait times, please feel free to post about it in here so we can get a better sense of how common this is!

• Options
    OjalaThreadsOjalaThreads Member Posts: 1

I do not have access to any of the formats listed (Microsoft Money (.OFX), QuickBooks (.QBO),Quicken (.QFX), Simply Accounting (.ASO) ) Any tips on getting my pdf's reformatted into an acceptable format?

• Options
    aheissaheiss Member Posts: 7

@OjalaThreads said:
    I do not have access to any of the formats listed (Microsoft Money (.OFX), QuickBooks (.QBO),Quicken (.QFX), Simply Accounting (.ASO) ) Any tips on getting my pdf's reformatted into an acceptable format?

Hi @OjalaThreads,
    I ran into same issue as you, spent some time figuring out what worked for me. The comment I left at https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/comment/15106#Comment_15106 may help you.

Regards,
    Alex