Connection error: Updating your bank

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageConnection error: Updating your bank

Every so often, your bank connection in Wave may fail with an error message. In most cases, the connection has simply timed out, and you’ll want to perform a manual refresh in order to re-establish...

Read the full story here

edited November 26, 2018 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• murrayzz1murrayzz1 Member Posts: 6

"5 out of 85 found this helpful". Why has this page not been updated to provide something useful?

• ErikErik Member Posts: 194 admin

Hi @murrayzz1, there are a few different reasons why a bank connection could be interrupted. However, there are times when it happens to be because of an issue with the bank's website/login protocols, or with the third-party service we use to connect to your bank.

These issues are out of Wave's control and resolutions depend on actions from these parties. In these cases, we would not have a set of instructions we could provide to resolve the bank connection error.

We are currently looking into what we can do on our end to mitigate these issues, however, and you should be seeing changes in the near future.

• dmkdmk Member Posts: 2

"Some errors may not be resolvable in this way, but in most cases, a manual refresh or two will reestablish the connection."
    What is the next step to get my back to begin syncing again?

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

@dmk I took a look on our back end, and unfortunately our banking data provider is unable to import transactions from your bank due to an incompatibility with the security system. This doesn't mean the connection is permanently impossible, as our provider is always working on establishing (or re-establishing) connections and ensuring that their systems are up-to-date with most, if not all, banks. However, you can still get your bank and credit card transactions into Wave without having to manually enter them one-by-one: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208621556

• dmkdmk Member Posts: 2

Thanks for looking into this. I hadn't any issues until now. Does this possibly mean the bank changed their security system?

• ErikErik Member Posts: 194 admin

Hi @dmk while we don't know the exact reason, that is a possibility. Other causes we've seen in the past involve simple changes to the bank's login page or even changes to how the website looks/works when already logged in.

• RazlanRazlan Member Posts: 3

I can't connect to my bank. it says that my bank in not supporrted by Wave.. Using this apps since 2016 with the same bank. Can anyone help me? My bank is CIMB Malaysia. TQ

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi @Razlan Wave uses a third party data provider to offer the bank connection within Wave. Sometimes, when changes happen on our data provider's end or on the financial institutions end, this prevents the bank connection from being successful in Wave. This means that while a bank connection could be established in the past, in may not be currently available.

I'm happy to pass along this feedback to our Data Provider, however, I am not able to say if this is temporarily or permanently unavailable for the time being. I would recommend uploading your statements into Wave for the time being and continue to check in to see if you bank connection is able to be connected periodically. This article should explain how to upload a statement into Wave: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208621556-Upload-bank-and-credit-card-statements

• BigbeebeeLLCBigbeebeeLLC Member Posts: 1

I keep getting an error that my answers to the security questions were not correct, but I was never asked any security questions. If I cannot connect to my bank to accept payments with this program then this program becomes completely useless to me. I did the manual refresh as requested in the troubleshooting and I tried it from several different computers with the same result.

• grace_eliz55grace_eliz55 Member Posts: 2

My bank has now stopped working, and it worked fine in the past. Like another person commented, this program is not useful to me without that feature.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@BigbeebeeLLC To confirm -- if you are updating your payout account to accept payments via invoicing, there is a trick if you enter in a series of 0's in the search when you are connecting your bank. From here, you should get a popup that allows you to enter in your bank account information manually (account number etc).

@grace_eliz55 Could you please confirm what exactly happens when you are trying to add your bank connection in Wave? Or is it simply that the transactions stopped importing, let us know when you can, I should be able to ping our data provider from our end to see if this helps with the process of updating your bank

• samberner80samberner80 Member Posts: 4

Hello, my error message when I tried to reconnect my bank was "There is a communication error between Wave and your bank. This is usually resolved within a few days. If the problem persists or you would like to be notified when it is fixed, visit our help center". I have had issues since they did a change in their system two months ago if that helps. My bank is Wells River Savings Bank. Any ideas what might be happening? Thank you!

• grace_eliz55grace_eliz55 Member Posts: 2

@JamieD Hi thank you for your help! I removed my bank completely because the issue was that I would click the import button and it would turn for several minutes but never update. So it would say "Last Update: 2 months ago" and then when I click update, the wheel turns for a while, gives up, and still reads "Last Update: 2 months ago." So I deleted my bank connection and tried to re-add it. See the attached photos for the errors I am getting now.

• samberner80samberner80 Member Posts: 4

@JamieD
    Mine is doing the same thing for Wells River Savings Bank. My situation is actually exactly the same all around. Thanks,

Sam

• VianaansterVianaanster Member Posts: 2

Wells Fargo accounts still not connecting. Same error message. Whats going on Wave??? I've noticed other people having the same issue since July of 2018.........Your bank needs you to review your account details. Log in to your online banking and fill out any information that is required, then try connecting to Wave again.

• VianaansterVianaanster Member Posts: 2
  • PaulTPaulT Member Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am having trouble connecting to my bank. Tried to edit connection details however I'm still not able to connect.
    This has happened before when my bank has updated their security settings.
    Hoping this will be sorted soon.
    Thanks.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just wanted to throw this guide from our Help Center into the mix; it may give you all some useful context for how the bank connection tool works, as well as 1) how to troubleshoot the connection and 2) what your alternatives are if the connection is currently interrupted based on changes your respective banks make to their websites.

• em_hem_h Member Posts: 1

HSBC UK seems to have stopped connecting. I've had it connected before, but the last two updates have failed. It's now a month out of date.

Santander UK also doesn't connect, but I think that's them rather than you as I've never had success with this one.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hi @em_h. It appears that there might have been an issue with the website for a moment in terms of connecting to our 3rd party data collector. I have sent a manual refresh to them - you should see the transactions begin to import successfully within 24-48 hours.

• SpiydaSpiyda Member Posts: 4

Santander UK connection seems to be failing, not credentials have been changed since the last successful connection and other software is connecting fine. Is this a Wave issue ?

• Phil_KPhil_K Member Posts: 2

Hi there,
    The below is a copy and paste of a meesage why I cant connect. Ive been using Wave for nearly a year without any problems. I have refreshed, clicked up date, re entered credentials, and cleared my cookies. Still no luck.
    What else could be going on?????

ASB Bank (New Zealand)
    Account connected on March 7, 2018 • Edit bank credentials • Delete connection
    Last updated 2 weeks, 4 days ago • Update now
    Unfortunately, your bank is currently not supported by Wave. Your best bet: upload a bank statement instead! Or visit our help center to be notified if your bank is added to our list in the future.

• sideflysidefly Member Posts: 10

Mazuma Credit Union (United States) is not working. This message has been appearing for at least the last two days: "Wave is having difficulty communicating with your bank. Try connecting again in a few minutes. If this doesn't help, visit our help center to investigate the problem." I validated my credentials and even tried to set the account up again... neither solution has worked. I also cleared my cache/cookies and tried google chrome and chrome incognito.

The connection has been working fine since December '18 until now.

I can logon on the Mazuma website just fine.

Based on other comments, it appears some problems are spiking the last few days.

Thank you in advance for your help!

edited February 27, 2019
  • 333marketing333marketing Member Posts: 6

Teacher's Federal Credit Union (teachersfcu.com) stopped working 2 days ago. I'm getting this error: "Wave is having difficulty communicating with your bank. Try connecting again in a few minutes. If this doesn't help, visit our help center to investigate the problem."

Help chat told me to clear my cache and if it doesn't work I have to start importing manually. Is this the only fix? It's worked for the past 6 months without a problem. Please HELP!

• 333marketing333marketing Member Posts: 6

Sorry, it's teachersfcu.org - I have no issue logging in to my account on their site.

• adriadri Member Posts: 1

Same problem as others!

Bay Federal Credit Union stopped working 2 days ago. I'm getting this error: "Wave is having difficulty communicating with your bank. Try connecting again in a few minutes. If this doesn't help, visit our help center to investigate the problem."
    Help chat told me to clear my cache and if it doesn't work I have to start importing manually. Is this the only fix? It's worked for the past 6 months without a problem. Please HELP!

• jbrajbra Member Posts: 7

Having issues with Delta Community CU. Looks to be related to CU's. Is there an expected resolution date for this? This has been broken for 2+ days now.

• GiaGia Member Posts: 1

Wave says this is my bank's problem. I am able to log on to my bank, Towne Bank, just fine. I have also contacted them and they are having no issues. This connection has already been down for over 2 days. Last year when this happened, Wave wouldn't connect for 4 months! What is the resolution date for this issue this time?

• TamMcTamMc Member Posts: 1

I am having the same problem with Delta CU. Have not been able to update via Wave for two days.

• PetermanPeterman Member Posts: 1

Hello
    I am having problems with ASB Bank in New Zealand. Worked OK two weeks ago.