What to do if Wave can't read your statement in CSV format

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageWhat to do if Wave can't read your statement in CSV format

If your CSV file doesn't upload properly, you might see one of the error messages below. Read on for troubleshooting tips, or try using our CSV template, which you can download here.
Error: "T...

Read the full story here

edited December 10, 2018 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• GrahamgGrahamg Member Posts: 3

thanks you very much

• boston126boston126 Member Posts: 2

Nothing works. The whole wave application is full of bugs and seems like being developed by complete amateurs. The import does not work. Tried all date formats, all suggested 3-column 4-columns and nothing works. Even the error messages sucks.
    This is also probably the only application that its own export CSV is not compatible with its import CSV format. What are these guys smoking??

• SandeepadalalSandeepadalal Member Posts: 3

@boston126 said:
    Nothing works. The whole wave application is full of bugs and seems like being developed by complete amateurs. The import does not work. Tried all date formats, all suggested 3-column 4-columns and nothing works. Even the error messages sucks.
    This is also probably the only application that its own export CSV is not compatible with its import CSV format. What are these guys smoking??

Same problem with us.

• DavidhleomDavidhleom Member Posts: 4

I could not do that. I do all the things that you said in order to upload the CVS file. Can you help me to find the error?

• HangmansSCHangmansSC Member Posts: 1

I can only upload 2 of 3 csv files from 3 bank accounts. doing the identical process with each. ??????

• icefeatherwindicefeatherwind Member Posts: 7

I'm getting deposits imported as withdrawals and visa versa. No idea what I'm doing wrong.

• daryanRSdaryanRS Member Posts: 4

@boston126 said:

I also cannot import my CSV. I've tried various formats, multiple columns and whatever else I could think of.
    Im exporting a CSV from MS Excel. I just keep getting "The CSV file must contain an amount, date and description column".

Wave, are you able to assist please?

• josephmutiejosephmutie Member Posts: 2

"The CSV file must contain an amount, date and description column."
    I keep getting this error no matter all the tweaks I do, 3 or 4 columns, even their template, nothing works.
    I bet this is what you get when you use a free software.

• josephmutiejosephmutie Member Posts: 2

@josephmutie said:
    I keep getting this error no matter all the tweaks I do, 3 or 4 columns, even their template, nothing works.

WORKING SOLUTION
    I found a turn around, I created a spreadsheet in Google Sheets then copied the transactions into the spreadsheet then formatted date as YYYY-MM-DD then downloaded as a CSV file. This groups the data into one column with commas.

NB: Some dates might not change automatically and you may need to pre-format them from Excel then copy them to your Google Sheet. As well, even after copying into the Google Sheet, some dates might not just be formatted as YYYY-MM-DD and you need to format them in the Google Sheet document one by one.

Then uploaded into my Wave Account.
    Works like a charm. Let me know if this works for you. If you encounter any challenges, reply to this thread, I will assist where necessary.

• StevemStevem Member Posts: 5

I have hassled the whole afternoon trying to accept a csv. The error is that it cannot read the date. I have tried every version of the date and check the txt file to make sure that the data is correct. I can't see the problem. There is something unaccepted by the system but I cannot tell what it is. It would be a great feature to show the column in which the error occurs. I liked the Big Red IFF conversion error trap system that gives you a line number for the error.

• sifersifer Member Posts: 6

This is one of Wave's weakest features. Even after following the instructions regarding acceptable date formats and file content, It seems fairly random whether Wave will accept any given CSV file. It works for some and, without any obvious reason, it doesn't work for others. Is anyone at Wave looking into this? The number of complaints suggest they should be.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

I can confirm that @josephmutie's way is the best bet for uploading CSVs. One of the issues that Google Sheets resolves is how in Excel, sometimes we see unicode issues where the Excel file includes problem characters that aren't visible. However, uploading to Sheets and redownloading as a CSV will help you clean this up.

edited January 25, 2019
  • MADWORKMADWORK Member Posts: 0
    Having done all of the above mentioned by Wave, I still had problems importing. Nothing would work. I finally found a way around it. This is what I did. Hope it will help some of you as well. Good luck!

How to import CSV into Wave (when having trouble with csv file separator ; ):
    1. First save your xlsx file on your computer
    2. Then open in in excel and choose 'export'(NOT 'save') to CVS file using "file type" and choose "weboptions": UTF-8 next to "save"
    3. Open this CVS file in .txt
    4. Replace all ; for '
    5. Save file as ".txt" choosing the option under "coding": UTF-8 (very important!)
    6. Open this file in Wave (it'll be saved as a .csv file)
    7. Done!

Please not that the file titles in excel need to be typed correctly in the correct order, at least that's what I did to make it work.
  • Annette17Annette17 Member Posts: 12

@josephmutie said:

@josephmutie said:

WORKING SOLUTION
    I found a turn around, I created a spreadsheet in Google Sheets then copied the transactions into the spreadsheet then formatted date as YYYY-MM-DD then downloaded as a CSV file. This groups the data into one column with commas.

NB: Some dates might not change automatically and you may need to pre-format them from Excel then copy them to your Google Sheet. As well, even after copying into the Google Sheet, some dates might not just be formatted as YYYY-MM-DD and you need to format them in the Google Sheet document one by one.

Then uploaded into my Wave Account.
    Works like a charm. Let me know if this works for you. If you encounter any challenges, reply to this thread, I will assist where necessary.

YES! You're a lifesaver! Might have taken me 4 hours to make it here, after trying 100 other things. Google spreadsheet works like a charm! THANK YOU for sharing!!

• Annette17Annette17 Member Posts: 12

YES! You're a lifesaver! Might have taken me 4 hours to make it here, after trying 100 other things. Google spreadsheet works like a charm! THANK YOU for sharing!!

• PaulCPaulC Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

@joseph27 @MADWORK @Annette17 We know that CSV uploads are really fiddly. Your solution to carefully prepare the data in a spreadsheet is absolutely on-point. We do now have an additional option that will make this easier, however - check out our new Wave Connect add-on for Google Sheets.

Wave Connect will let you upload transactions directly from Google Sheets into your Wave account. It walks you through a simple 3-step process: Create the sheet headings; Validate your data; Upload. The Validate step will make sure your data is correct, and report any issues for you to fix before you try to upload.

Please give it a go, and let us know how you get on!

• GinaRobertsonGinaRobertson Member Posts: 1

I use Google spreadsheet and I still had an issue uploading. One thing I found is that Wave can not read dollar signs, so in addition to formatting the date correctly, be sure to elminate dollar signs from the amounts column and use plain numbers only!

• HowdyHowdy Member Posts: 2

The Wave connect google sheet upload works a charm, it does by default however load transactions into the cash in hand account but it's not too bad to go into each transaction and change the default account, could be worse.
    As a starting point - All the columns are where they should be, the income and expenses are as they should be.
    Many thanks for the fix!

• PaulCPaulC Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Hi there @Howdy!
    Glad that Wave Connect is working for you - just wanted to follow up on the upload account.
    For transaction uploads, the 3rd ("Upload") step should offer you a drop-down with a choice of all your payment-type (i.e. Cash, Bank, Credit Card) accounts.

If this isn't working for you, please send me a DM as I'd like to investigate and make sure we get you a fix.
    Thanks!

edited February 13, 2019
  • RobinVRobinV Member Posts: 2

Hi team!
    Quick and easy fix: convert your csv to qfx at https://csvconverter.biz/ just be sure you set your country when you set up a free account otherwise it won't import due to having the incorrect currency

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Thanks for these tips on how you deal with this @RobinV !

• MADWORKMADWORK Member Posts: 0

Thanks PaulC! Will definately check it out!

• Ute11Ute11 Member Posts: 4

What about the error message : "Something went wrong with your file upload. Try confirming that the file type is an accepted file type."
    I tried all suggestions above including using your template and nothing seems to work.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@Ute11 I just send you an email about this; check your inbox and we can work on this there. Thanks!

• Chris_12RuahineChris_12Ruahine Member Posts: 1
    I also have the error message : "Something went wrong with your file upload. Try confirming that the file type is an accepted file type."
    I to have tried all suggestions above including using your template and nothing seems to work. Can i send you the file? email me on ********
    edited May 21, 2019
  • JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @Chris_12Ruahine -- I've just sent you an email regarding your CSV upload not working properly, please give a look and reply whenever you get a chance!

• RobbieRobbie Member Posts: 1

I have the same problem as Chris_12Ruahine and Ute11. I have tried all the suggestions also, but continue to get the same error.

• Paul_S1Paul_S1 Member Posts: 2

Hi there, I cant get my csv file uploaded -

The CSV file must contain an amount, date and description column. Learn more

please give me your email address so that I can show you my file.
    Even just using your csv template with two lines doesn;t work.

seem to have tried everything; please help.

• Paul_S1Paul_S1 Member Posts: 2

forgot to add: I am a new user, investigating if wave works for me

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@Robbie @Paul_S1 I just thought I would check in with you here - have you tried using the Wave Connect feature? https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272-Wave-Connect-Easily-import-and-export-data-with-Wave-s-Google-Sheets-add-on- This should allow you to seamlessly import your Customer data into the software. If you are still having difficulty after following these steps, let me know and I would be happy to further investigate for you. One other thing I should mentioned here, we are looking at improving the Customers section in Wave (exploring different options). When we have more insight as to what this looks like we will definitely be letting our users know.