How to change the owner email address of your Wave account

Comments

• Marie0219Marie0219 Member Posts: 1
    My business name only appears in the More Menu, and nothing happens, and I really need to change the email on my account
  • ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Marie0219 I'm sorry to hear that! Can you send a screenshot here of what that looks like? Would love to check this out with you!

• istist Member Posts: 1

i tried to change the owner email address to a new one by following your process above but it didn't work at all. There is no star icon or x icon. What can I do? Is there a phone number or live chat I can do troubleshooting? Many thanks.

Hey @ist! Those icons would only appear if you were logged in as the current account owner. Are you logged in as such?

• RossPaganRossPagan Member Posts: 2

Hello.
    I have deleted an email address from my account which no longer exists. There was already another address on the account which was classed as the primary address. How do I get this to be confirmed as the only address on the account please and I noticed that the old address I cancelled had a star icon - is that a necessity?
    Looking forward to your assistance. Thanks.

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @RossPagan! The star icon indicates which email address you would like to be the 'primary' email address of the account. If there is only one email address on your 'Emails & Connected accounts' page that will be considered the primary email! If you want to send me a DM with your business name and email address I can take a look on the back end to confirm there is only one email address on your account showing. :)

• RossPaganRossPagan Member Posts: 2

Hi EmmaP
    Thanks for your reply. It looks like the email situation has changed but now when I try to log in using the changed details I get this 404 error page:

Kind regards
    Ross

• HyiannakouHyiannakou Member Posts: 1

Hi,
    i try to do this but i get a message that the new email is already associated with a Wave Account. I need to change the owner email.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @RossPagan

Typically 404 errors are network or browser related. I see that you're using Chrome.

A lot of the time, this can be fixed by tweaking some things in your internet browser. Wave supports the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. We'd also recommend that you try using Wave with browser extensions disabled. If you have Chrome, try opening up an incognito window, logging into your Wave account, and try again (or if you have Firefox, open a private browsing window).

If that doesn't work, you may also need to clear your cache and cookies. You can read more about the browsers we support, and how to troubleshoot issues for your individual browser HERE

If network related

1. If you're using a VPN, please disable it.

2. Please power-cycle your modem and/or router. A great article that walks you through how to do this, and why it helps is available here: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-properly-restart-a-router-modem-2624570.

3. Try connecting to a different network. The fastest way to do this is usually to tether to your mobile device.

4. If you're still having trouble, please make sure that your browser is compatible with Wave.

5. Disabling your antivirus software, or adding waveapps.com to your antivirus whitelist should resolve any access issues you're having with our integrations or third party modals (such as banking login info).

Hey @Hyiannakou

It looks like the user you're trying to add is already affiliated with a Wave account. They would need to log in and delete their previous account to free up the email to be used on your new account.

Alternatively they can use a different email!

• Heather1701Heather1701 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem as people below but there is no solution provided below to these people and there is no way I can see to direct message anyone.

My problem is I have no business name to click on when it says to click business name in left hand side...

Hey @Heather1701! Can you send a screenshot of what your Wave page looks like? That'll give us some context as per how best to help you!

• gifterngiftern Member Posts: 1

Worked for me.

edited April 13, 2020
  • Kristian_GKristian_G Member Posts: 56 admin

Hey @giftern,

That's wicked! Thanks for letting us know :smile:

• AbiEnNaiduAbiEnNaidu Member Posts: 1

Hello, I got to step 5 and an error occurs "This email address is already associated with a Wave account. "
    And it is probably because I added that email as a user in the account, so I deleted it. But it still shows the same thing. Does the email need to be deleted on Wave's end?

Hey there @AbiEnNaidu

I see that your email is actually associated with two separate businesses. You can see this by heading to your business name at the top left > Manage your profile > Businesses > Collaborator businesses. Here you are able to delete a business to free up this email and use it for your own account. Hope this helps!

• Riel_le_RouxRiel_le_Roux Member Posts: 1

Good day,
    We created a company but at this stage we did not have a domain associated with the company name so we used the company that do our accounts for us as the default e-mail account, now we have our own domain and mail accounts and now we want to change the owner and default primary account.
    We want to change the primary mail account to accounts@ABC but because we sent an invite to the accounts@ABC on previous date it now rejects it and we cannot change the primary e-mail account to the now correct company mail account.

Kind regards
    Riel

Hey @Riel_le_Roux! I'm sorry to hear that you've been having a hard time switching your primary email account on file! Can you let me know what you see when you attempt to do so? Are you receiving an error message? If so, I'd love a screenshot of what that looks like so that we can figure out how to best help here.

• VenoshVenosh Member Posts: 4

Hi Admin,

I have invited a user as admin currently and now want to change him to owner. How can i do so?

• harishr1986harishr1986 Member Posts: 4

I invited a user but later removed her as a user. Now when I am trying to add her email id as an owner it is saying the email id is already linked with the Wave Account. I am not able to understand how even after deleting the user, it is saying that the email is linked with a wave account.

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi there @Venosh , thanks for your message! If you want to change the owner email on an account, you can follow these directions. Please feel free to reply on this thread if anything on those instructions needs clarification!

Hey @harishr1986 , thanks for reaching out! When you add someone as a user, they must create a Wave account in order to be a Wave collaborator. So even if you remove their collaborator access, their own Wave account (without access to your biz) will remain intact. If you want to make them the owner of the account, they'll first need to delete their own Wave account , and then you should be able to make them the owner after that!

• JeremySJeremyS Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to change my main email as an owner and sent some inquiries. The password for the account has been locked with Microsoft due to having an incorrect password ( possibly a hacker ) .

I desperately need to change the owner email to be able to accept business payments as now my customers are saying they cannot pay due to wave rejecting the cc payments for some reason.

Please help as this could do catostrpohic damage to my business cash flow .

Jeremy.

Hey @JeremyS! Thanks for reaching out here. I can see that you've also reached out in a ticket submitted to the Support Team, which I have escalated for the team to address ASAP. They'll be in touch with next steps soon!

• BenjaminKandawireBenjaminKandawire Member Posts: 1

Hi Support

I managed to change the primary email but when I send invoice or statements it is using the old deleted email address.
    How do I change that it uses the email address that is currently on the sysytem.

Thanks and kind regards
    Benjamin

edited August 27, 2020
  • HannruHannru Member Posts: 1

Good day support,

I created an account using an email, then subsequently changed the email to update my business. I set the new address as my primary and deleted the old address. The invoices sent from my account still used my old email address. I then deleted my wave account completely and started fresh with a whole new email address. The new account did not ever have the old email address set up, and yet invoices STILL get sent from my old email address. Please help.

Thanks
    Hannru

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi there @Hannru and @BenjaminKandawire , thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with changing your emails here. If you've followed the steps perfectly, it should work, so if it isn't, there might be a bug causing an error. Before we know for sure, would you be able to give the following troubleshooting a try?

Browser Troubleshooting
    Wave supports the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. We'd also recommend that you try using Wave with browser extensions disabled. If you have Chrome, try opening up an incognito window, logging into your Wave account, and try again (or if you have Firefox, open a private browsing window).

If that doesn't work, you may also need to clear your cache and cookies. You can read more about the browsers we support, and how to troubleshoot issues for your individual browser HERE.

Network Troubleshooting

1. If you're using a VPN, please disable it.

2. Please power-cycle your modem and/or router. A great article that walks you through how to do this, and why it helps is available here: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-properly-restart-a-router-modem-2624570.

3. Try connecting to a different network. The fastest way to do this is usually to tether to your mobile device.

4. If you're still having trouble, please make sure that your browser is compatible with Wave.

5. Disabling your antivirus software, or adding waveapps.com to your antivirus whitelist should resolve any access issues you're having with our integrations or third party modals (such as banking login info).

I know these tests can seem random, but I've seen these very things work for users in the past! If none of this helps, let us know and we can go from there.

• SharonTSharonT Member Posts: 3

Hi there. My scenario is like this. Currently the owner of "Business A" (in Wave Accounting) is hold by "email A" while "email B" is invited as Admin user role. Meanwhile the owner of "Business B" (in Wave Accounting) is hold by "email B" alone. The changes that I would like to make is to change the owner of "Business A" from "email A" to "email B". After the change, "email B" will be the owner of both "Business A" and "Business B".
    When I try the steps in the article above, "email B" could not be added into "email A" account because "email B" is an existing Wave account with its own data. And from the previous comments, it seems that to solve this problem, I would need to delete "email B" from Wave. But I could not delete "email B" as that will delete "Business B".
    Is there any solution to easily change ownership of the business account such as adding a new user role call "owner" in the invite a user page?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @SharonT , you're correct on this. The reason you're getting an error when trying to add email B is that it's already associated to another Wave account which is why you can only currently add it as an Admin.

The way around this would be to add a new unused email (let's call this email C) to business B and permanently remove email B. Because email B will no longer be associated to a business, you can then add it to business A.

Unfortunately, email B cannot be associated to both businesses without deleting one of them and recreating it in the other account.

• MAHMAH Member Posts: 5

I am admin but own the business. the person who is listed as owner has left the company. How do I change my admin to owner? All I see that I can do is change my primary email which is not what I want to do.

Hey @MAH

This gets tricky because according to Wave, the owner of the account is the one who created it. Their email is the primary Wave account owner technically speaking. We usually recommend that an account is created using a general email or CEO's email.

1. Is there a way you can obtain the password reset link from he ex-employee? Can you input their email >> Do a password reset >> Access their email to send the reset link to yourself?
    2. Are they able to log into their account and Change the primary email over to you.

Let us know!

• WesleyFalconerWesleyFalconer Member Posts: 1

I have 2 businesses in Wave, i want each to have its own primary email address but when I change it it changes for both businesses? Is this normal?