How to create a bill

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to create a bill

If a supplier invoices you for some supplies or services but you don't pay them right away, you need to create a bill to recognize the liability in your books. That way your accounts will show how ...

Read the full story here

edited January 4, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• CetustoneCetustone Member Posts: 31

Why I cannot create a bill and my goods in inventory, that is I have to select a expense account to create a purchase bill but I need to select a inventory asset account when I purchase my goods and create my bill. previously I could do that but the list shows only expenses accounts

• bookkeepinghellbookkeepinghell Member Posts: 2

Is there any way to upload and save the vendor's invoice in Wave, other than receipts (which it technically isn't)? I would like to have all my "paperwork" uploaded in Wave, but it appears I need to save bills and vendor invoices separately elsewhere ... ??

• sabrielsabriel Member Posts: 3

I am receiving invoices from my vendors as PDF files and don't want to manually recreate each one in the Bills section. When will the option to upload the bills as documents become available (same as receipts)?

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @sabriel and @bookkeepinghell, thanks for your feedback about the bills tool! We're currently working towards refining this feature, and the ability to link images of these documents directly to the transaction itself has come up a number of times. I can't guarantee when this will happen, but I want to acknowledge that we're aware of this request and are working towards an improvement!

• sabrielsabriel Member Posts: 3

@Ryan_W one more feature I would like to see in this section - duplicating bills. I tend to have periodical (monthly) bills which are identical, and being able to duplicate the previous one (with the option of editing it) would also save me a lot of time! I hope your team adds this to the feature list in the future!

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @sabriel, good timing/news! A "copy/duplicate bill" feature is actually something we're working towards in lieu of a recurring bills option. Check out Mani's update on January 17th in this thread if you want more context about it!

• OceansideOceanside Member Posts: 6
    I would like to see a early payment discount line option when creating my vendor invoice. For example I have an invoice from a vendor for product that I purchased & resold to my client. My vendor offers a 2% discount if paid net 10. Quickbooks has it as an option when you pay the invoice you can apply the discount. Just a note that I am not talking about when you give a client a discount. This discount only applies to early payment to a vendor. Thanks
  • OceansideOceanside Member Posts: 6
    I would like to see a early payment discount line option when creating my vendor invoice. For example I have an invoice from a vendor for product that I purchased & resold to my client. My vendor offers a 2% discount if paid net 10. Quickbooks has it as an option when you pay the invoice you can apply the discount. Just a note that I am not talking about when you give a client a discount. This discount only applies to early payment to a vendor. Thanks
  • MADWORKMADWORK Member Posts: 0

That would be great Ryan!

• myTechnemyTechne Member Posts: 2

Hey Wave! I was wondering if there is an automated workflow to add (Wave) invoices that I receive (via email) into my Bills? Right now, it seems like the best way to do it is to (a) download the voice; and (b) create a separate email to receipts@waveapps.com. Is there an easier way? Thanks!

edited March 16, 2019
  • SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @myTechne! I wish this was currently a possibility (I just tested it out via our integration with Zapier) but at the moment our API only really works with generating invoices. So, it's theoretically possible to trigger an action in Wave when you receive an email from @waveapps.com domain, but the actions are limited to creating an invoice or customer, rather than bill or vendor. We're building out our API integrations as well as functions within Zapier though so this is not to say it'd be a permanent limitation. But the workflow you're currently using sounds like the best method of doing so in our current framework! I'll also be submitting this as a feature request.

• denysabridenysabri Member Posts: 2
    is it possible to create a bill, which directly add my inventory account
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @denysabri . Can you expand further on what you're looking to do with the Bills feature?

• denysabridenysabri Member Posts: 2

@alexlewiszarkos said:
    Hey @denysabri . Can you expand further on what you're looking to do with the Bills feature?

I created Product or Service,
    eg. Baby Tuna,
    tick Sell This and Buy This
    Income Accoount is 'Sales'
    Expense Account is 'Pembelian Stok Ikan'

On 2019-05-10 I creted Bills to vendor named Tauhidin with many Product items, including Baby Tuna, paid in cash (Rp. 1,442,000)

I assume that Wave created D:Pembelian Stok Ikan (Expense) and C:Cash On Hand

How to automated, the bill add my inventory for each Product

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @denysabri. If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you are wanting to track your inventory for products which is not something that's currently offered. Once you've created a bill in Wave and marked it as paid, you will see that the expense account associated with the product has a balance associated with it (under the profits & loss statement).

• Gary_WGary_W Member Posts: 3

Is it possible to enter the gross amounts on a bill breakdown rather than net, e.g. for credit cards, with the appropriate vat tax rate chosen. I am currently having to calculate and separate the tax using my statements, which is a pain. Am i missing something? Thanks.

Hey @Gary_W. There currently isn't a way to add a gross amount to the bill, then have the tax subtracted so that you can see how much you would have to pay in the net amount (if that's what you mean). You will need to add the tax to the net amount of the line item you are adding then mark it as paid.

• RajeevRajeev Member Posts: 0

Hi, I mainly farm out my work to various suppliers and I would like to know how to add their cost to a transaction. I need to add the vendor's cost to show how much money my company is making.

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@Rajeev I merged your post with this Help Center discussion for the article on how to create a bill in Wave! You can head to Purchases > Bills and add vendors as well as bills associated with those vendors here :)

• Lisa_LKSS2018Lisa_LKSS2018 Member Posts: 2

Is there anyway of attaching a copy of a bill? I have this feature in my current accounting software so don't have to keep a hard copy of the bill.

Hey @Lisa_LKSS2018. At the moment I'm afraid there isn't a way to necessarily add a hard copy of the bill, but what you can do is upload a receipt for a bill, if this is something that interests you. This help centre article should give you a bit of guidance on how to do this: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208622116-How-to-upload-a-receipt

• avb3avb3 Member Posts: 1

I want to second @Lisa_LKSS2018 for have the ability to attach a hard copy of a bill. Please put it on the to-do list.

• TryNaturesTryNatures Member Posts: 1

How do I attach invoices when creating bills?

Hi @TryNatures . You cannot currently attach anything to Bills in Wave. I'd love to hear your use case and why you're looking to attach Invoices to Bills though so I can pass the feedback along.

Let me know!

• UPnAWAYUPnAWAY Member Posts: 1

I agree, we need the feature to add attachments, not only to bills but any transaction. Currently I receive invoices but can't attach them to bills. I have found a small workaround but it is so much effort it isn't great:
    Create a bill and make a payment. Upload the invoice as a receipt and make a payment on the receipt. Then I merge the transactions in the accounting. The only downside to this is, when the transaction appears from the bank feed, I can't merge in a third item, so I have to delete the bank feed transaction.

There are many times where I would just like to attach a receipt to a bank feed transaction, without having to go through the process of having a separate receipt transaction then merging.

• moosamoosa Member Posts: 1

how to create PURCHASE ORDER?

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@UPnAWAY The sentiments that you have in regards to being able to add an attachment directly to a transaction is definitely one that we here frequently. The Product Team is always looking into ways to enhance the Transactions page and I'd suspect that this could be an area that the Product Team looks specifically at coming soon. In saying that, I don't have a timeline for when that would happen, but I want you to know that we hear and acknowledge that this is something that would make many Wavers' lives easier.

@moosa I'm afraid that Purchase Orders are something that Wave doesn't currently support. There is an ongoing discussion about this sort of feature, so feel free to chime in on this thread: https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/comment/16220#Comment_16220

edited September 15, 2019
  • taylor_nztaylor_nz Member Posts: 1

It would be very helpful to be able to sort bills by payment status, due date etc. Is this something that is in the pipeline?

Hey @taylor_nz . This isn't currently on the roadmap but I'd love to hear how this would contribute to your workflow and why it would save you time.

Let me know!

• SagesOfRPGSagesOfRPG Member Posts: 1

Any chance we could get the ability to add monthly bills to the system. Aka $15 every 15th of the month for X amount of months?