How to email your receipts to your Wave account

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to email your receipts to your Wave account

If you've got a receipt sitting in your inbox, or on your phone, tablet or computer, you can email it to receipts@waveapps.com
Follow these guidelines to successfully email receipts:

Send one rece...

Read the full story here

edited January 9, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• WesWes Member Posts: 2

Please update the receipt email system to allow the user to change the from address to another email. I log into WAVE using one account but controlling several different accounts. I do not want to log out and log back in under the email I would like to send the receipt from. WAVE Invoices are able to use that feature, so please bring the receipt system up to par here. Thanks!

• TimmotTimmot Member Posts: 3

Have been using the Google Sheets add-on for Wave Connect - a fantastic product and a time saver. In using the template a couple of times I've cleared the sheet so as to load the next data range. The last time I did this it occured to me that the formula may not be embedded and appears to have been cleared with all the data I needed to remove. Is this likely as I'm not able to reload it as it shows that it is INSTALLED. Any suggestions to get it working again ?

• PaulCPaulC Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Thanks for posting.
    I'm a little confused about what you are saying has happened. Do you mean that the add-ons menu is no longer showing Wave Connect? If so, have you tried simply refreshing the browser, to see if your browser/Sheets have got hung up?
    The one other thing I'm wondering is whether you mean that the drop-down lists (e.g. customers, in an invoice upload) have stopped populating. This is a thing that happens when you get more than 500 items in a list (a Google Sheets limit). The upload will still validate and upload your data in this case, but you'll need to enter the names without the lookup values.
    If I've misunderstood, please let me know and we can work with you to figure out and fix whatever is happening.
    Thanks.

• jkojko Member Posts: 6

I don't see anywhere on the web app where "receipts" are listed!

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @jko! You should be able to access Receipts on your account by navigating to Purchases > Receipts. You can also download the app in the Play Store or the App Store for your iOS/Android device. If you're interested in learning a bit more about that have a read through this article.

• SincereSincere Member Posts: 1

Any chance wave can receive email receipts forwarded from my inbox? That would help greatly as I realized there is a way to automatically forward specific emails.

Thanks!

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@Sincere at this time, forwarding receipts isn't supported because we need it to come directly from the primary email address used to sign into Wave, although I respect that this would be really handy!

• bencbenc Member Posts: 2

I get many of my receipts digitally, via email (think Amazon, or Grainger receipts) - how can I get these into Wave with the least amount of effort? (yes, I'm lazy!) :) Thanks!

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @benc . If it's just the receipt that you're receiving as its own file, you can save that file and upload it into Wave directly. I know sometimes companies will send an email with the receipt attached as a separate file, so this works as well. If it's an image that's sent to you, you can also do the same.

• bencbenc Member Posts: 2

Thanks I figured it out - I'm just forwarding the receipts, and whether it's inline or attached, it seems to work fine!

• maklienmaklien Member Posts: 3

Since I changed the primary email , sending receipts by email to receipts@waveapps.com no longer works? Is this a common issue or is there an obvious workaround? Any pointers appreciated because i very much like the feature of sending incoming receipts as attachments directly to wave

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @maklien. It should still work as expected.. however, perhaps adding the receipts@waveapps.com email as a contact on your email account would help with this situation. Please let me know if it doesn't though and I would be happy to look into this a bit further for you.

• maklienmaklien Member Posts: 3

Hi JamieD, it still doesn't unfortunately. Maybe because I changed the primary email address? and the system for receipt emailing still has the old one?

• VernonVernon Member Posts: 1

I receive several receipts that are one receipt but are multiple "pages". Is there a way to upload multiple pages as one receipt?

edited March 29, 2019
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @maklien . If you'd like to send me a private message with your business name as well as the email you log into Wave with, we can try to troubleshoot this further for you.

@Vernon Can you tell me what this is a receipt from and why it's so many pages in length? Our receipt importer pulls data from generically formatted receipts and it rarely sees anything longer than what fits into one image. An alternative for you here would be to add this expense manually through the Transactions page so that it's accounted for properly. Feel free though to let us know what the receipt is from and maybe we can suggest a better way of doing this.

edited April 11, 2019
  • yourtechsolutionyourtechsolution Member Posts: 2

I want to scan receipts to Wave directly from my office scanner.

Any chance in a future update you can create unique addresses for us to send receipts to, and have that resolve to a Wave customer, rather than a scan coming from the primary address?

• VvvVvv Member Posts: 1

Hello, I am having problems with uploading receipts to Wave. I tried the following:
    1) Upload via app - the OCR does not pick up the relevant information such as amount, date, vendor even if I opted for automatic capture. Why?
    2) I emailed the receipts to receipts@waveapps.com, following the instructions above to the T. It has been 3 days and the receipts I emailed still do not appear in my Wave account.
    3) I uploaded via the Upload a receipt button, again it does not capture the details in the receipt.

The pictures I used are of high res, well-lit and flat on the surface as advised. Could you please look into above as I am reaching the end of my tether!

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @Vvv, thanks for reaching out and I am sorry that you are having issues with your Receipts app. You may still need to choose whether you’d like to automatically scan receipt images using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology or not, this Help Centre article will explain how to do that. If you have followed these steps and you are still having issues, please let me know and I would be happy to dig a bit deeper :smile:

• cjbirch80cjbirch80 Member Posts: 4
    i just used zapier to identify and send new-specific invoice/receipts to wave through the email. I previously manually searched them, printed them, then... used the receipt app to photo.

Zapier will use gmail to identify new emails that meet criteria and send a new message with the attachment from the identified email. meeting wave criteria for file format/email format.

For fun i made labels in gmail and the emails-invoices are auto labeled and matched through zap for fast sorting.

i made one zap and copied/modified it for several vendors with recurring invoices/receipts.

if it works well i will make zaps for more rare invoices.
    In the end i'm eliminating a paper copy and the time required to find and submit invoices. if wave data exports/backups are done you will have a digital copy i suppose.

zap doesnt have many wave zaps buttttttttt gmail is our friend!!!
  • KB_SS1KB_SS1 Member Posts: 3
    I need my guys to be able to upload the two-page/part of a restaurant receipt (meal breakdown and tip/tax) to upload as one transaction using the mobile app -- is this possible?

@cjbirch80 Awesome workaround and thanks for the future suggestion for users that might need to use this method for uploading their receipts!

@KB_SS1 As long as the receipt fits within the image scanner itself, it should be good to go in terms of uploading it into Wave.

• HughCHughC Member Posts: 1
    I'd second @yourtechsolution suggestion - our dumb scanner can't set a from: address, so a unique to: address (ala Squirrel St / Shoeboxed) would be a much easier arrangement.
  • COCOCOCO Member Posts: 3

Is anyone else having issues with the receipt app? I'm looking for a solution to plow through a mountain of receipts. Have tried the app several times and without fail it does the following every time:

1) Falsely identifies information (ex- just scanned a receipt dated 9/11/18 and it picked it up for sometime in March 2017)
    2) After scanning a receipt I like to input notes in the notes field for my bookkeeper, but when trying to do this the app either freezes or shuts down completely. Makes having to scan many receipts a pain in the peach because technically I have to launch the app twice per receipt

Any suggestions how I can mitigate the above?

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@COCO Thanks for reaching out about this! Sometimes the Optical Character Recognition on the Receipts app can detect the characters incorrectly (although it does its best). Try and take the clearest picture possible so the OCR can catch those dates. :) If it still doesn't work, while it is an extra step, you can edit the receipt details once they've been captured.

If the app starts freezing for any reason, I recommend trying a few things: closing and relaunching the app, logout and back into the app, uninstall and reinstall the app on your phone and/or shut down and restart your phone. What type of phone are you experiencing this issue on? Hopefully those troubleshooting steps will help!

edited June 12, 2019

@ckeen_1244 said:
    @COCO Thanks for reaching out about this! Sometimes the Optical Character Recognition on the Receipts app can detect the characters incorrectly (although it does its best). Try and take the clearest picture possible so the OCR can catch those dates. :) If it still doesn't work, while it is an extra step, you can edit the receipt details once they've been captured.

If the app starts freezing for any reason, I recommend trying a few things: closing and relaunching the app, logout and back into the app, uninstall and reinstall the app on your phone and/or shut down and restart your phone. What type of phone are you experiencing this issue on? Hopefully those troubleshooting steps will help!

@ckeen_1244 thanks for the response. I've tried relaunching the app and restarting my iPhone 6s before but to no avail. I suppose I could try removing the app and reinstalling it.

Hey @COCO. Did you get a chance to completely delete the app, and the reinstall making sure you are also on the latest version of iOS? Let us know if you are still have difficulty with it so we can further investigate if needed.

@JamieD said:
    Hey @COCO. Did you get a chance to completely delete the app, and the reinstall making sure you are also on the latest version of iOS? Let us know if you are still have difficulty with it so we can further investigate if needed.

Not yet, business has been very productive. Thanks for the nudge though

• kylepearcekylepearce Member Posts: 1

Most receipts these days are sent right in the body of the email.

I wish you could just forward the email 'as is' and Wave would simply convert it on your end. I'm not saving time by printing to PDF and then attaching it to an email.

Thanks,
    Kyle

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@kylepearce Thanks for sharing your thoughts! As far as I know, your suggested workflow is not on our immediate product roadmap but the Product Team is always listening and we appreciate your feedback :)

• Ian_BIan_B Member Posts: 16

Would be good to be able to forward receipts sent by email. Great functionality though - thanks Wave