How to add a new business to your Wave account

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to add a new business to your Wave account

If you have more than one business, Wave allows you to maintain each business individually within one Wave account. Here's how you add another business.

Click your business name in the top left co...

Read the full story here

edited January 24, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• cameronoliviercameronolivier Member Posts: 1

Hi,
    How can I add a default email per business? I currently have 2 businesses, and have added verified emails for each to my profile. The email for Business 1 is the default in my profile. However when I send an invoice or estimate from business 2, it sends it from Business 1's email address - this is obviously not ideal. How can I make sure that all correspondence sent from Wave within each business uses the correct email address?

• ZimbaliR3sortZimbaliR3sort Member Posts: 1

Good day,
    I have added a new email and are not getting the notification to verify the new account. Just getting a mail saying a new email has been added. I need the new email verified as I want to change this to the primary mail. How can I get this sorted out?
    Thank you

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@cameronolivier As of right now, only the primary email address will be associated with your invoices (you can't adjust it so that invoices are sent from a different email based on your businesses, it will only come from the primary).

@ZimbaliR3sort Could you please send me a DM with the email address that you are trying to add as a verified email?

• aheissaheiss Member Posts: 7

I am new to any sort of accounting software. Is it correct to identify that an account in 'Chart of Accounts' and the 'Chart of Accounts' itself is tied to one and only one 'Business'?

As a sole proprietor, I have yet to totally separate my personal accounts from any sort of business account. Where could I learn best practice and/or strategy to associate an imported account to either my person or my business? Would it be wrong to think I import my data twice, creating two accounts, once to each Businesses' Chart of Accounts?

Thank you,
    Alex

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @aheiss! You are correct in guessing that the chart of accounts is specific to each business/personal account you have within your Wave account. You will need to create accounts that are necessary for each one! You can read all about your chart of accounts in
    this article

The bank that you connect to Wave will link to your entire account, you can determine which accounts you want to connect to which businesses/personal accounts within that connection. For example, your TD bank is linked to Wave, you can import your personal checking account straight into your personal Wave account and your Business Checking straight into your Business account. You can learn all about bank connections and how they work here

I hope that helps! :smile:

• wakiwaki Member Posts: 2

A few questions:
    1. Will my cash and bank accounts appear across all businesses? (i.e. cash and bank accounts are shared across all businesses)
    2. Is it possible to create a consolidated report across all businesses? (ex. consolidated B/S, consolidated Income Statement, etc.)

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @waki!
    1. Nope! Each business would exist as a separate entity, so the only time you'd share information across businesses in Wave would be if one business incurred an expense and was subsequently reimbursed by another business. If you were hoping to track overall data across businesses, I'd recommend checking out our integration with Google Sheets. It can export data from all your businesses and generate comparative reports, which you couldn't do directly in Wave. You can find out more here
    2. Ah, unfortunately not as well, though the comparative reporting that the Wave Connect Google Sheets integration facilitates is likely your best bet for generating consolidated statements.

• 1stlady_11stlady_1 Member Posts: 1
    My business name does not appear on the left side of my screen so there's no way to click manage your account that is not an option
  • ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @1stlady_1, would you be able to send a screenshot when on your Wave account? You should be able to see your business name in the top left, selecting it will give you a dropdown list, with access to any other businesses you may have, your personal profile & manage your profile settings.

• BrettBiasBrettBias Member Posts: 2

I have a Wave account with multiple "businesses" configured in it. I own one of those businesses with a business partner. If I invite him as an admin, how do I restrict him to only seeing the data for the one business we own together? I don't want him seeing data for any of my other businesses in Wave, nor seeing my personal accounts in Wave.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @BrettBias. When you are on the actual business itself, and click on Settings > User Management, this only allows you to invite collaborators to the specific business, it won't be for the entire account you have access to. I feel as though this help centre article should give you an idea of what that should look like: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000077186-User-permissions

edited June 15, 2019
  • BrettBiasBrettBias Member Posts: 2

Got it - thanks so much!

• FireFly8FireFly8 Member Posts: 0
    I’m having a hard time adding a second business, can someone please walk me through the process
  • JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@FireFly8 I've merged your comment into this thread that is attached to a Help Center article about that exact topic. Give the article a read, and if you have any other questions after reading it, let us know. I'm confident that an Admin or Waver will be happy to help :)

• NageshAnupindiNageshAnupindi Member Posts: 1

I have two businesses under two email addresses (accounts). I would like to bring them together into a single account. How can I do that?

• MyronMyron Member Posts: 143 admin

Hi @NageshAnupindi , I'm afraid that there is no way to move a business from one Wave account to another.

• MastiffMastiff Member Posts: 1
    I can’t see my second business in the receipts app. What do I do?
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Mastiff

I might need a bit more info before we can investigate further. I see you have two businesses under this email. Often times when someone signs up for the receipts app they can accidentally create a new business. So it may be possible that you've done that.

I may need you to reach out to me in dm's so we can investigate this further without divulging personal info in a public post. But before we do that, let's try the following:

1. Log into your web browser version and check the exactly email that you're logging in with. Are you using google sign on? Is it possible that when you created you receipts version it's logging you in using a different email?
    2. Check to see that both your business in your online web version is the exact same title as the one on your receipts app version.
    3. What mobile phone are you using? Have you selected the switch business button on the settings icon?

Let me know and I'd be happy to help you further. If one of these steps has helped resolve the issue please let us know publicly for the rest of the community :)

• Melissa2506Melissa2506 Member Posts: 1
    My business' name isn't in the top left corner? I am really struggling to do this.
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Melissa2506 . Can you send us a screenshot of the page and where you can't access your business?

• CláudiaViegasCláudiaViegas Member Posts: 1
    I can’t create another business my name doesn’t show up on the left corner. I go into “more” and it doesn’t give me options to create another business. It says “switch accounts” when I client there it only shows my one business and I can’t add another. Help!
  • Tony_Clarke123Tony_Clarke123 Member Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am running 1 business using Wave and want to add a second business. Can I use the same login details and add the business to that or, will the new business added delete all the info thus far for the original business? I want to be able to run 2 businesses at the same time.
    Cheers,
    Tony

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @claudiaviegas

Would you mind sending us a screenshot image of what this looks like in your account? It sounds like you might be having some browser issues which might be fixed with basic browser troubleshooting.

A lot of the time, this can be fixed by tweaking some things in your internet browser. Wave supports the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. We'd also recommend that you try using Wave with browser extensions disabled. If you have Chrome, try opening up an incognito window, logging into your Wave account, and try again (or if you have Firefox, open a private browsing window).

If that doesn't work, you may also need to clear your cache and cookies. You can read more about the browsers we support, and how to troubleshoot issues for your individual browser HERE. If you are still having problems or if you have any other questions, please get in touch.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Tony_Clarke123 . I've merged your comment into this article so you can get some more context on adding a new business. You can also access the Help Center article in the first post which will give you the necessary steps to do so.

• SuperDuperAccountantSuperDuperAccountant Member Posts: 1

Can I consolidate financial results between multiple companies, once I set up the two companies within one account?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @SuperDuperAccountant! Unfortunately no, these companies would operate independently of each other, and within Wave, it would not be possible to consolidate those financial results. What you could do would be to export information from the reports section of each account, enter it into an Excel spreadsheet, and then create comparative reports there, breaking down the information you needed!

• PhilPeelPhilPeel Member Posts: 3

I have two businesses, One is a limited company. the other is as freelance sole trader. + I have a personal account.. I have a bank account solely for the limited company. But a credit card (and Paypal account ) I use for business purchases which can go into either of the two businesses (occasionally personal). So I've imported all of last years statements for the credit card and Paypal into my freelance sole trader business. But how do I then allocate these to the limited company account?

I have tried making each one I need to allocate to the company, a transfer via owners investment. but this seems to be getting very complicated.
    Or do I have to import them all twice into both businesses and then delete the ones that don't apply to that business.
    Please help

Thanks

Phil

• BeachadminBeachadmin Member Posts: 1

Is it possible to have two different mailing addresses for the business (or edit the business address for different customers) It seems this is in the master template of the profile and cannot be changed. We do not want our address for our home based business being sent out to some of our clients but do need it there for others

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @PhilPeel! Thanks for reaching out here. Within Wave, that would be something that might be particularly confusing to do, if you're trying to split out one account's transactions into two portions of your business. What I might suggest would be to import those transactions into both accounts, and delete the ones that don't pertain to them. In the future, it might be best to have two separate accounts for each business, in order to avoid these workarounds.

@Beachadmin unfortunately, the ability to edit information shown to each customer is not one currently possible in Wave. I'm sorry for the inconvenience here. If you're trying to invoice your customer from a different business address, you'd need to create a different business in Wave to invoice them from.

• NemNem Member Posts: 2
    There's no name at the top left corner of any of the tabs. Please help