How to add a new business to your Wave account

Comments

• Idowu_Tehillah1Idowu_Tehillah1 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you. I use a Samsung phone and for some reason the wave app does not display my business name on the top left as explained in the article.

The 3 buttons bottom right have no options either of adding my second business.

Please advise.
  • CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hey @Nem , thanks for your message. To confirm, you're using the web app (rather than the mobile app)? Is your browser window fully widened? If not, the menu might be hidden, but you can still click it by clicking the white 'Menu' button on the top left, which will reveal your options. If that's still not visible to you either, Would you be able to send a screenshot of what you're seeing there? The entire screen would be best!

• NemNem Member Posts: 2
    I'm using the mobile app.

Hi @Nem , thanks for confirming. The description you're referring to, that is to say, seeing your business name in the top left corner, is referring to the web app only. On the mobile apps, it's not possible to add a new business to an existing account. So if you need to add another business to your existing Wave account, I'd recommend heading to waveapps.com to log in and add a new business there!

• bubblecatcherbubblecatcher Member Posts: 2

hi, how would manage different photography brands, ie running wedding, portrait as separate websites/business but you would have common expenses, equipment etc You would also want to be able to create reports to see how each one compares. Photographers these often have to run more than one brand and have multiple income sources, teaching, youtube, talks processing presets etc. I am not sure creating a separate business would help here?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @bubblecatcher! Great question here. Comparing expenses and having consistent expenses between businesses in Wave is not something that currently exists, but I definitely appreciate the context that you've been able to offer here as far as how this would specifically affect your situation. This type of feedback helps us to build out a platform that will be able to consider multiple types of businesses, and we appreciate it!

• bubblecatcherbubblecatcher Member Posts: 2

@ConnorM Ok, good to hear it is something you will consider and these days with many people having portfolio incomes this would be very useful, will keep checking back to see if every appears as would then start using your service.

• ZaydekZaydek Member Posts: 2

So, I've followed the above instructions until clicking on "Businesses" on the left, but on the next screen, there is no option to "Add a business". I just see "Personal", and my existing business name. I do want to add a second business. Please advise, thx!

Hi there @Zaydek , thanks for reaching out! To clarify, when adding a new business to your account, you're not actually clicking the Businesses button. Here's the directions for adding a new business:

• Click your business name in the top left corner
    • A drop down menu will appear. Click 'Create a business.'
    • And you should be good to go!

• ZaydekZaydek Member Posts: 2

Thx @CallieP for your response! Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the "+create a new business" option when I click on the business name and open the drop down box. I only see my existing business name and "personal". Everything from "You're signed in as..." and down is also showing in my drop down box. I don't see a scroll bar to move the text down, as I was thinking the "+create..." option text was hiding below "personal". Please advise, thx!

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @Zaydek

I actually can see that you're an ADP customer run user. ADP users cannot actually create a new business through Wave. You will need to reach out to your ADP rep in order for them to work with their developers in creating new businesses. My apologies about that mixup!

• Craig_on_WaveCraig_on_Wave Member Posts: 2

I tried to do the same... ADP will just redirect their client back to Wave (they would not help me with multiple accounts, connecting accountant, or any accounting issues).

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Craig_on_Wave , I would ask them to put you in touch with someone who is more familiar with how the Wave integration works. We're always here to help you with the functionality of Wave, but as Barsin mentioned, because you're actually accessing Wave through ADP Run, they are the ones that control the setup of your account and they are the ones that have to create another business for you.

• _leanhealthx2_leanhealthx2 Member Posts: 1

Good evening, I setup my new business as prescribed but the dashboard does not setup as my other business has setup, Can you give me some advice please?

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @_leanhealthx2

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but would you mind explaining what it is you're seeing under both dashboards for your businesses?

Also if you haven't tried clearing your browsers cache and cookies please do and let us know if this works for you!

• InBrianFInBrianF Member Posts: 1

UPDATE: 11/2/2020
    It's been over a week since I posted my comments directly below. No response from Wave nor from the community yet. Seems to be a sign of my intuition about this service being correct - which is that it's probably best to not use it.

============================

I'm trying to migrate from using a hybrid solution of QuickBooks Online and my own "home-grown" spreadsheet system. I was very excited to use Wave for both of my businesses and for personal (as 3 "businesses").

I connected my bank accounts and credit cards, and then populated my chart of accounts under one business... only to find that these were not "visible" to my other business or personal.

This is a problem because I transfer funds from business to personal or vice-versa AND some of our business expenses accidentally get charged to a personal credit card or vice-versa.

Having to switch between one business "view" to another and not being able to "share" connected accounts and the chart of accounts across all businesses creates a dilemma...

Wave can be much more flexible if it could:

1. "Centralize" connected accounts and the chart of accounts for any/all businesses
    2. Choose which business(es) to which each connected account or chart of account belongs
    3. In transactions (and other administrative-type areas), include a drop down to select the business to which a given transaction (or split transactions) belongs ... QuickBooks Online refers to these "businesses" as Classes and provides this functionality
    4. For reporting, include a filter to choose which business the user wants to see
    5. For adding users to access my businesses as an admin, choose which only the one(s) I want them to see

This approach would also prevent the need from toggling between businesses as is the current method to working with a given business. Instead, all businesses would be available, if multiple businesses exist, uniformly throughout all of the Wave features and tools.

I hope Wave takes these suggestions to heart ... I would be able to move forward using this service right now, but I will need to abandon this effort because these capabilities do not exist, which is very unfortunate since I was very much looking forward to using it AND signing up for your paid-for full service payroll services, and possibly using invoicing/payment services.

PS - The fact that Wave can no longer connect to Capital One accounts is a shame. I don't want to have to manually download and import transactions. Apparently several other Wave users agree that taking this away when Wave switched to using Plaid was a big mistake and that decision led to much disappointment among your user base, for what it's worth.

edited November 2, 2020

Hey @InBrianF , thanks for taking the time to write out this long and detailed post for us. To be completely transparent with you, we don't have any plans on adding functionality to share connected accounts across businesses. We typically recommend that each bank account is specific to one business, and although there are users that may require the sharing of the accounts (such as yourself), historically there hasn't been enough demand to justify the prioritization of building this feature out.

On the other hand, your suggestion on how exactly this could work does make a lot of sense and it will be passed on to the team as feedback.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to add your two cents. It's detailed feature ideas like these that give our Product team a use case to think about.

• JustusJustus Member Posts: 1
    Hey, for everyone not seeing the Tab on the left of the screen you have to be on a desktop not the app. I was struggling with that too.
  • OrganaCBDOrganaCBD Member Posts: 1

It keeps saying page not found when selecting "add a business"

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @OrganaCBD !

A lot of the time, this can be fixed by tweaking some things in your internet browser. Wave supports the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. We'd also recommend that you try using Wave with browser extensions disabled. If you have Chrome, try opening up an incognito window, logging into your Wave account, and try again (or if you have Firefox, open a private browsing window).

If that doesn't work, you may also need to clear your cache and cookies. You can read more about the browsers we support, and how to troubleshoot issues for your individual browser HERE. If you are still having problems or if you have any other questions, please get in touch.

• MigasMigas Member Posts: 1

Hello, I tried to add a business but unfortunately the only options for country only Canada and USA. It also affect business currency with only Canadian $ or USD. Can you help guide how to choose another country and other currency? Thank you

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @Migas ,

Wave recently made the change to limit new Wave account sign-ups to US and Canadian business owners only. As it turns out, this also affects current Wave account owners outside of North America, as it's no longer possible to create a new business which is located outside of the US or Canada, within a Wave account.

Please take a look at the community post linked here for more information, and let us know if you have any questions!

• BendinbluesBendinblues Member Posts: 2

cannot select south african currency for my new business

Hey @Bendinblues , as we recently limited user sign ups for businesses outside of Canada and the US, the Wave system doesn't allow you to set your currency or location as South Africa.

To read more about our decision, check out our post about this here!

edited March 1, 2021
  • RahmansyahRahmansyah Member Posts: 1

Can these multiple businesses linked each other?

Hey @Rahmansyah , I'm not understanding your question. Can you provide some further detail to what you're looking for?

edited March 9, 2021
  • LanstarLanstar Member Posts: 1

How do I transfer all my information from my personal existing account to the new business account I just created? Thank you in advance.

• ChereseCherese Member Posts: 1

Honestly I love Wave. It is user friendly and quick! I used Xero for many years and decided to switch. However, only upon switching I realized you guys have limited your new users to CAN & US only I believe due to the "Payroll" function. I wish you would reconsider as companies worldwide do use foreign currencies such as the CAN & US dollars and payroll can be adjusted to suit our needs. Can you not reconsider to allow existing users who still find the pleasure of using your software to add their related companies without support if so be it? Food for thought!

Hey @Lanstar , you can use the following Help Center article to move your data from one account to another.

• gj44ldhgj44ldh Member Posts: 1

Hi, the business is same but the project within that business is different. so different projects have different invoices and billings. so i want keep the track of them separately. How can we do that ? to exemplify, ours is a construction company and we have different projects going on so we need to track them separately. Please help.