Overview of receipts

Comments

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @thee_demps , you'd have to take this up with your accountant, but I can advise that your transaction purchases from your credit card are in fact being pulled into Wave, which means you do already have a record of them.

• YourHomeProLLCYourHomeProLLC Member Posts: 1

Please tell me there is a way to upload multiple receipts at once? I have over 800 receipts. Also, is there a way to total the amount of receipts up by category or otherwise?

• SpiritJSpiritJ Member Posts: 1

When I try to sign into the mobile Receipts app on my android phone, the only option is to RESET my password, not sign in. I am using the same Wave account info as here. What am I missing?

• Grams_2015_Grams_2015_ Member Posts: 6

@AlexL said:
    Hi @thee_demps , you'd have to take this up with your accountant, but I can advise that your transaction purchases from your credit card are in fact being pulled into Wave, which means you do already have a record of them.

If you are in Canada, I believe the CRA requires copy of actual Receipt(not just Credit card stmt). I thinks these days that digital Receipts are fine.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @YourHomeProLLC! Unfortunately, at present, it is not possible to upload receipts in bulk. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this causes you.

@SpiritJ I'm sorry to hear that! Definitely sounds like an odd one, can you post a screenshot here of what that looks like for you? Is it possible that you'd signed up using your Google account? Looking forward to digging into that with you.

• DufordCPADufordCPA Member Posts: 2

As a CPA who works in tax I can tell you that you DO need a copy of the receipt. Your credit card statement will NOT do as evidence for CRA. The exception might for be a lease or subscription payment which is the same each time but is documented on a contract or statement. Otherwise you need your receipt. Digital is OK as long as it can be reproduced. Don't forget you have to keep your receipts for 7 years!

edited March 3, 2020
  • LJPLJP Member Posts: 1
    How do you recommend/suggest that the receipt function be used for Employees expense tracking & submission for reimbursement to them?

Hey @LJP! I'm thinking that this Help Center article here might help you out!

• Lt1014Lt1014 Member Posts: 3

I want to make sure I'm following best practices with receipts. So if my credit card or paypal has brought in a transaction automatically and I have a receipt for that transaction, I need to upload the receipt, post it the same account (credit card account or paypal account) and then have to merge them? Is that correct. There is no simple way of going to the transaction itself and simply uploading the receipt there?

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Lt1014

You're correct in listing your steps. Merging will do the trick. Some users also delete their transaction brought in by their bank connection to ensure there are no redundancies. Our accounting developers understand that attaching images to a transaction is an ask a lot of our users have requested, so we're hoping to see this in future updates but not ETA at the moment.

• gWhizgWhiz Member Posts: 1

Is there any way to create a new "category" entry under receipts?

Hey @gWhiz! Thanks for reaching out here. It sounds like what you're looking for might be best accomplished by adding a new Expense account within your Chart of Accounts! You can check out the best way to do this within this Help Center article!

• NutsAccountingNutsAccounting Member Posts: 6

I can't find Wave receipts in google play store. Was it taken down? When will the android version be available again?

Hey @NutsAccounting!

Wave Receipts isn't available in the Play Store at present, but we offer it for download directly from Wave. If you're on your Android device, you can go to https://www.waveapps.com/download-receipts-app to automatically download the app.

From the web, you can visit our Receipts product page and scan the QR code there to download the app from Wave.

Since this is a direct download from a third party (Wave) you'll need to ensure that your phone is allowing installs from sources other than the Google Play Store. I like this article from Digital Trends which goes over the basics of how to do this: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-sideload-an-apk/

If you'd like to learn more about Wave, how we manage the security of our software and your data, you can check out our Terms of Use pages.

• BarnaBarna Member Posts: 1

When I place an order from Amazon (or any electronic service), is there a way to add that to Wave? I tried to forward the order confirmation email to receipts@waveapps.com but that didn't do anything. Thank you!

• KRLuckKRLuck Member Posts: 3
    I’ve been studiously photographing all my receipts for a while now but noticed that the Receipts app says “offline” a lot of the time. Presumably as a result of this receipts were not being processed although they were still visible and I could call them up and view them. Recently, instead of receipt thumbnails showing in the list there appeared exclamation marks in a circle. However, clicking on these still brought up the receipts to view. To see if I could provoke the app to go online I logged out and then back in again. Now all of the receipts I had in listed as “Queued” under the Processing tab have gone completely. No photos, no transactions, nothing. Is there anywhere on my iPhone 6S that these receipts may still be stored and accessible since I took you at your word and threw away all the original paper copies?
    Not wise as it turns out...

Hey there @Barna

Unfortunately the forwarding function doesn't work in Wave :disappointed:

You'll need to download the receipt from Amazon, create a new email and attach the receipt then send it off to receipts@waveapps.com

Hey there @KRLuck

If you log into your desktop version at www.waveapps.com > purchases > receipts > are you seeing any of these cached here? Let us know! Otherwise I would recommend reaching out to our support team!

• Drive_It_YourselfDrive_It_Yourself Member Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm also having an issue with uploading receipts via the app. Was working fine but now each one is "queued". When I log out of the app and log back in, they are no longer there. When I log in on the computer they are not in processing at all. One hour ago it was working.

Thank you for your assistance.

Hey @Drive_It_Yourself! Thanks for reaching out here. When receipts are processing, if you log out and log back in, it will clear all of those receipts. I'm sorry for the inconvenience here, but you will need to re-upload those images in order to start this process once more.

Hi @ConnorM . I understand that it does that. However, the real issue is that it sits in processing all day. Queued on my app on the phone. While it is in the processing on the app on my phone, it cannot be seen on the computer. It will stay that way until I log off and log on again.
    I then start the process again and it does the same.
    Everything was working find until the other day I wrote it.

Hey @Drive_It_Yourself, how many receipts are you trying to upload at once? The uploader tends to hang/freeze if you attempt to upload 10+ receipts at a time.

Hi @ConnorM , only trying to upload one at a time. When it happened I was uploading four, only three went through. Ever since I cannot upload any.

I use Office Lens to scan to my phone and then grab the image from the gallery.

Was working fine before it happened, now it doesn't work at all. Queued Queued Queued.

• Mad_PinkMad_Pink Member Posts: 1

I am confused about Bills and Receipts, are they independent of each other?

If I purchase a computer for the office and I have a receipt, do I put it into Receipts alone or do I also add it to Bills and mark it "Paid"

Hey there @Drive_It_Yourself

Let's try a few troubleshooting steps here first!

• Try closing and re-launching the app.
    • Log out and back into the app.
    • Check to make sure that you're connected to a cellular data or WiFi network.
    • Ensure that you've turned on permissions from the settings menu of your device.
    • Restart your device.

If following these steps don't resolve the error you're experiencing, please let me know. To help us better understand the issues you are experiencing, please provide the following information: the version of the app you are using, the type of device you are using, some screenshots of the error you're seeing, and the operating system version.

Hi @Mad_Pink

Bills are essentially payments you make for non-liability accounts. For example a good use for a bill in Wave is your monthly internet payment. Perhaps Rent, or hydro. These are purchases that occur regularly and are not considered liabilities.

If you receive your credit card bill however, this is not a reason to create a bill in Wave. You would simply want to do a transfer between accounts.

Your receipts are meant for documenting your purchases (these can technically be bills as I know some of our customers do this). It's intent was for documenting printed receipts from your purchase at a store through a POS system, however our customers have been able to use this for online purchases etc.

• michaeltmichaelt Member Posts: 1

Need a little help on permissions. If a user has only Viewer permissions can that user still upload receipts via Receipts app? There will be many occasions when a user should not be able to anything but upload receipts? Is that possible?
    Thanks, Michael

• ShamimShamim Member Posts: 1

i have uploaded a number of receipts , say for example Esso gas station, using the mobile app. the app never shows up the HST (13%) amount as picked up by WAVE. The app always displays the Total. it is not able to pick up the HST amount. Please guide me through.
    Thanks

• jeschevjeschev Member Posts: 1

Hwy there,

I'm finding it hard to put the receipts under there actual category. Is this really vital?

Hey there @michaelt

According to our User Permissions help center article, a viewer only has limited viewable permissions on the Wave account. They can't make any serious actions like uploading transactions on the receipt app.

Hey @Shamim

The OCR doesn't separate the tax on your receipts in your transactions. This will need to be done manually. You can do this before you finalize and upload, or after the upload.

Hi @jeschev

Would you mind elaborating a bit on the issues you might be having when trying to categorize your receipts? Which account are you trying to categorize it to that is appearing? Any further detail would be helpful! Thanks :smile:

• NCCNCC Member Posts: 3

Most of my purchases are used with my debit card which is already tracked in the transactions portion on wave accounting via my banking transactions. I would still like to upload receipts as well. Is there a way to link these receipts to the transactions that show?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @NCC , when you upload a receipt it will automatically create a transaction in your Transactions page. You can then select both transactions (the receipt transaction and the banking transaction) with their tick boxes and merge them together so that you're not doubling your income. This will also keep the receipt link in the transaction so the receipt is viewable and accessible.