Introduction to the transactions page

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageIntroduction to the transactions page

The Transactions page is where all of your transactions live. You can create, filter, sort, and edit your transactions here. Take a moment to check out everything you can do.

From the Transactions...

Read the full story here

edited January 30, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• TheDudeTheDude Member Posts: 2

Looks like we lost the ability to sort by transaction name in the new release. Can we get that back?

• VasVas Member Posts: 4

What happened to the option to move transactions to other businesses?

• GloriabroGloriabro Member Posts: 1

This ability to move transactions to other business or personal makes Wave near to useless for small business that use the free accounting software becase they are a small business, and use accounts for business and personal, or maybe two small business's.
    How can we now move a transaction?

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, the ability to account for personal transactions has changed, but it's there! This guide explains how it's managed now.

As for sorting by transaction name, you're right that it's not there; however, you can search by description to bring up the exact transaction(s) you want to see. I respect that some of these changes are throwing people off, and I want to reinforce that once everyone is moved over to the new version, we'll have more bandwidth to make refinements to the current version. Your collective feedback is extremely important while we're going through this process, so please don't hesitate to share your insights.

• 22asepsysca22asepsysca Member Posts: 19

What happens if you categorize your transaction, add sales tax and click Reviewed and move on to the next transaction but don't click SAVE...does it affect your accounting? This should be addressed in the help article.

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @22asepsysca - right now if you move on to the next transaction without clicking save, it won't save changes you've made to said transaction, such as adding a tax or marking as reviewed.

• HeidiF2019HeidiF2019 Member Posts: 1

Having had no formal training on computer at all, was erasing "saved" transactions by writing over them instead of pressing "Add Expense" button each time. Did a live chat with wave help, he was unable to help me understand what I was doing wrong, although spent some time troubleshooting with me. My son, not even familiar with the program, told me on the phone he thought I might be erasing it, to try pressing the button each time. Well, that worked! Just in case there are any users out there as ignorant as I am!!

• SSWC15SSWC15 Member Posts: 1

Why is there no option to sort the transactions page by transaction name? Seems like a basic function that is missing...

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @SSWC15. On the transactions page itself, you should see the search icon beside the filter option in the right hand side of the screen. From here, you will be able to enter in the description details of the transaction that was imported (so essentially, the name). If this isn't what you mean by being able to search the transaction page by name, please let me know so I can do a bit of further investigating here.

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @jakorsme, you should still be able to change the category in bulk by checking the box next to each you want to change information for, and then clicking edit. In the window that pops up, you'd just need to select you want to change the Category (tax being the other bulk change option), and then select said category.

I've attached a screenshot here:

• JunaidJunaid Member Posts: 6

Hello,

I can only upload transactions to the "Assets ---> Cash on Hand" account. What do I need to do to upload transactions directly into Income or Expense accounts?

The Income and Expense accounts are already set up in the Chart of Accounts BUT I can still not upload transactions DIRECTLY into INCOME and Expense accounts. Those options are greyed out. I have even submitted a support request for this. Please see details with screen shots at the following link

https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/5543/unable-to-upload-transactions-into-income-or-expense-accounts#latest

Thanks

• MyronMyron Member Posts: 143 admin

Hi @Junaid , welcome to the Wave community! Transactions in Wave can only be uploaded to a Payment Account. To assign transactions to Income or Expense accounts, they will need to first be uploaded to a Payment Account and then Categorized to an Income or Expense account.

@Myron Thanks a lot. Aislinn also responded to a support ticket and advised the same.

Seems like I need a refresher in accounting basics. Thanks a lot for your help.

edited August 12, 2019
  • MyronMyron Member Posts: 143 admin

Hi @Junaid , I am happy to hear that! Aislinn is wonderful, we are definitely lucky to have her! Accounting is a tough subject! Have you had a chance to read through our Fearless Accounting Guide? We put it together to help you with management accounting for your business: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000412386-Fearless-accounting-with-Wave

edited August 12, 2019

Thanks @Myron . I will check out this guide.

• rmondrmond Member Posts: 2

Is the ability to see the running balance on the transactions page gone? That was super helpful to track down any errors in entries because you could see at what point/points there was a big dip or increase in the balance.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

HI @rmond . The running balance when reconciling? This is gone now, yeah. I'd encourage you to try our new reconciliation feature under the Accounting tab which should similarly help you do the same thing.

• rmondrmond Member Posts: 2

@AlexL thanks, I'll try it out

• SkismSkism Member Posts: 4

Help,
    I have mistakenly deleted 6 transactions, How do I undo???

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @Skism. I'm afraid it's not possible to undo an action that was made in Wave (such as deleting transactions). You will need to recreate the ones that were deleted to ensure your reports balance correctly.

• 211_Premium_Sports211_Premium_Sports Member Posts: 1

Help:
    Is there a way to import transactions into an invoice for reimbursement or do I need to individually enter each transaction again as its own item?

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @211_Premium_Sports! Can you give me a little more detail about your workflow and what you're trying to achieve? I'd be happy to dive into this with you a little further, but I'd like to know your process so I can point you in the right direction! Let me know :)

• VikTH0RVikTH0R Member Posts: 21

Hi,
    1, where is the filter by AMOUNT?
    2. Why I cannot choose Invoice Payment for invoice (USD invoice) for USD banking transaction on the Transaction Table? main currency is CAD. Why I have to apply payment in invoice menu and delete banking transaction after. What is the improvement in this case?

edited November 10, 2019
  • LanessaLanessa Member Posts: 5

I used to be able to see if where a transaction came from -- if it was from a receipt that was uploaded in the Receipts page or if it was downloaded from a bank statement. Now that's gone. Also, I can no longer sort by Description or Amount. I fail to see how this is an improvement.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @VikTH0R . I'll answer your questions in order:
    1. Did you mean the sort by amount button? This doesn't currently exist in the upgrade I'm afraid, but let me know how you used to use this button and I may be able to offer an alternative solution for you.
    2. We're looking at making some improvements to the Transactions page when we're done moving our remaining users over to the upgraded version of Wave, and one of the improvements we'll be tacking is foreign exchange transactions. This may very well be among the improvements but the team is still working out exactly what they'll be working on. Stay tuned!

Hey @Lanessa . You can still see where a transaction comes from by clicking on the transaction itself and viewing the top of the opened transaction window. I've attached screenshots of what some of these look like below:

• LanessaLanessa Member Posts: 5

Hey @Lanessa . You can still see where a transaction comes from by clicking on the transaction itself and viewing the top of the opened transaction window.

• Thanks. I must have missed it before.
  • Mrm____lv114Mrm____lv114 Member Posts: 11

@VikTH0R
    even though you can't filter by amount, you can click on the dropdown button on the transactions page and then you can sort transactions or invoices by amount-from least to greatest or greatest to least.
    You can also do similar thing for sort by description or date.
    It can you help you more easily find an invoice with a specific total.
    See attached.

• VikTH0RVikTH0R Member Posts: 21

@Mrm____lv114 said:
    @VikTH0R
    even though you can't filter by amount, you can click on the dropdown button on the transactions page and then you can sort transactions or invoices by amount-from least to greatest or greatest to least.
    You can also do similar thing for sort by description or date.
    It can you help you more easily find an invoice with a specific total.
    See attached.

Sorry I cannot make pictures big to understand your suggestion.
    Regards.

• Paul_CloudBookPaul_CloudBook Member Posts: 3

Please bring back the sort by description. It saves so much time being able to find all the transactions together than can be categorised in bulk.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @Paul_CloudBook

We appreciate your feedback. Our accounting team is continuously looking for ways to improve our transactions page. Thanks for this, as our team continues to scour the community for feedback.