Introduction to the transactions page

Comments

• matteddymatteddy Member Posts: 3

Just to second what Paul said: PLEASE bring back the Sort by Description etc. buttons. It's a mystery to me why you'd omit them on this upgrade. They were ESSENTIAL features.

• jasonzjasonz Member Posts: 2

I cannot find any info anywhere about check numbers. My check numbers do not upload with my bank statement making it very time consuming to reconcile the transactions

• JakeMJakeM Member Posts: 3

Why can't you see all of your accounts anymore on the transactions page? I don't understand the reason for removing this feature. Also when I go to my chart of accounts to try to reclassify the accounts that I can no longer see on the transactions page to a different type that I would be able to see, Wave does not allow me to do so.... very frustrating

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @jasonz

While we don't offer automatic check number updates, you should be able to manually add this number in description on the transaction itself. You're able to edit the title to add more info, or add it to the notes on the transaction.

Hi @JakeM

Our new accounting version should have an all accounts drop down menu as the default.

This should show all of your accounts transactions on your transactions page. But please let me know if I've misunderstood the question.

Regarding your chart of accounts, if you wanted to just create a new account, then filter your old account in your transactions page, and select the check boxes beside all transactions in that old account, you could then bulk edit all of those transactions to the new account you've created.

• LaurenMLaurenM Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

Hi Wave folks! (@BarsinA)
    What is the Wave version of "matching" transactions (or merging transactions) if they are NOT made with the Receipt app?

This is what I'm asking:
    Sometimes I make an online purchase --or do a transfer-- that creates a transaction, but is NOT technically a "receipt". In a previous software I used, I could manually "match" transactions that looked similar -- similar to your Merge -- but not with a receipt attachment.

The reason why I am asking is that sometimes the transactions come up in the bank feeds days or weeks later, and I might not remember to go delete the doubles and re-catagorize all the transactions.

I am new to Wave so I've been reading the online info but I haven't seen this come up. What does Wave suggest, and/or what does everyone else do about matching/merging [non-Receipt-app] transactions?

If the Accounting team is scouring for input to make transactions better, this would definitely be a time-saver -- it was definitely a time-saver for me when I used the Q software. (I'm a sole proprietor doing all tasks myself).

edited January 4, 2020
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @LaurenM

Thanks for the use-case scenario here. In most cases with our new reconciliation tool, it's in the business owner's best interest to reconcile your accounts on a monthly basis. This will obviously allow you to account for all of your duplicates which will appear in your reconciliation page. My apologies that our merge tool is not as intuitive as you would expect, however we do appreciate the feature idea in your final paragraph.

• LaurenMLaurenM Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

Thanks @BarsinA ! I'm getting the hang of things. Working hard.

• furrymonsterfurrymonster Member Posts: 1

On the transactions page, how can you sort descriptions alphabetically?
    (This may be the wrong place to ask a question. If so, apologies.)

This was super useful for bulk categorizing imported transactions, which cannot be imported with their categories. I sincerely hope this is not a lost feature. Seems unlikely, but I really can't figure it out. Any advice is appreciated.

• MHOAREMHOARE Member Posts: 1

How is "Add Customer" used?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

@furrymonster Unfortunately, there is no current ability to sort your transactions by descriptions, alphabetically. You might have some luck if you'd export your transactions using the Wave Connect feature, where you should be able to sort your transactions in Excel manually!

@MHOARE Are you referring to the 'Add Customer' portion of the transaction details page? You can associate a customer with particular transactions for your own tracking, if you'd like! :)

• NicoleAWTNicoleAWT Member Posts: 2

Is there a way to delete some of the pre-loaded transaction types? I don't have vehicles, for example, so I don't need "Insurance - Vehicles". It would really simplify the process for me. Thanks!

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @NicoleAWT! These categories can be edited from your Chart of Accounts page. Head to: Accounting -> Chart of Accounts and select the income or expenses tab to see what accounts you have here. You can 'archive' any accounts you do not wish to use by clicking on the pencil to the right of the account name to edit. :)

• Intrinity_Divers06Intrinity_Divers06 Member Posts: 1

Why have we removed the sort by amount feature? And sort by description? These are essential features.

• jor1999jor1999 Member Posts: 10

How can I find the "cash on hand" account. I don't use it but unfortunately it appears as the default when manually entering expenses. I am trying to search for transactions with "cash on hand" and cannot find them!!

• JymbagJymbag Member Posts: 6

Would love to be able to set a default filter like "not reviewed" so that I don't have to redo the filter every time I move back to the transaction page. The old version held the "not reviewed' setting.

Hey @Intrinity_Divers06! You can use the search tool on the transactions page to search for an amount or a transaction description. You can also use the filters from the Transactions page to refine the search even further!

Hey @jor1999! You should be able to click 'All Accounts' on the Transactions page to search for the 'Cash on Hand' account. If you do not see it on the drop down, you will want to check your Chart of Accounts page to make sure it has not been archived. If it has been you can click the pencil to edit and undo the archive.

Hi @Jymbag! Thanks for your feedback on this setting!

• VinnieK68VinnieK68 Member Posts: 1

Hello, I'm trying to merge 2 income transactions; an invoice payment and a wave credit card deposit, but the merge button keys getting frozen. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hey @VinnieK68! Sorry to hear you're running into some trouble with the 'merge' function. A lot of the time, this can be fixed by tweaking some things in your internet browser! We recommend trying to clear your cache and cookies. You can read more about how to do this and the browsers we support HERE. If you are still having problems let us know!

• WoodlandSHWoodlandSH Member Posts: 1

Please oh please bring back the "sort by amount" feature!

• Timothy145Timothy145 Member Posts: 1

Why have all the journal transactions disappeard from any selected account transactions data, I have checked I dont have any filters on, with "All Types" selected. I now only see journal transactions when I select all accounts. Please help! :)

Hi @Timothy145! You are correct in what you are viewing. Journal transactions will show in the 'all accounts' page but if you filter for a specific bank account you will not see the journal transactions. This is like when reconciling an account you will only see the expense/income transactions and not any journal transactions. You can create a filter form the transactions page to view journal transactions specifically if you need!

• CaseythehostCaseythehost Member Posts: 1

I need to export these transactions with the category but there isn't an option to do that. The export data option in settings on the left only exports unsorted transactions from all accounts. The Wave Connect doesn't upload any transactions to my Google Sheets. When I export transactions from the reports tab it strips the categories away. Those categories are crucial for accounting but there isn't an option to export them as they appear on this page?

• NicoletteBNicoletteB Member Posts: 122 ✭✭

@Caseythehost That is correct - our transactions export will have the same data as if you uploaded it: Date, Description and Amount. This is a great idea and this feedback will be shared with our Product team. I would love to hear if you had any other ideas on our export functions and how they would improve/be integral to your workflow - the more details, the better!

• JennycJennyc Member Posts: 13
    No sort by amount? It may sound trivial to you but this is the deciding factor for me to leave Wave - which won’t be easy. I Use this constantly. For example batch categorizing transactions; sort by amount and all monthly rents are together, all your recurring $10 monthly donations... all the interest in the pennies section! -ve numbers at the top showing expenses marked as income or visa versa. Just did it today to cleanup transactions for taxes.

I started using wave 3y ago when a massive tax problem arose and I had to recalculate back 15y of banking. Uploaded it all and sort by amount helped me quickly find large transactions, specific transactions where I roughly knew the amount but maybe not the date, group transactions such as my mortgage payments or insurance premiums, before categorizing or after without having to remember description or category.

Why kill that? Sort ascending/descending is what computers DO!?
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Jennyc , thanks for adding your input. We're sorry to see you go, but I understand that each user has different needs based on their business workflow. I'll let our product team know the effect that not having this feature is having on Wave.

edited May 27, 2020
  • DwenianDwenian Member Posts: 3

How do I confirm which currency the transaction is in?

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @Dwenian , thanks for your question! You can confirm the currency of a transaction in Accounting > Transactions. If the currency isn't expressly named anywhere on the transaction, then this means the transaction is in your business 'home' currency, as in, whichever currency you set up your business in. If a transaction is in a different currency than the 'home' currency, it will be labelled clearly, like so:

fx label

• David_MKNDavid_MKN Member Posts: 1

Hi Wave,
    This feature update is dreadful. Line items are now listed as generic 'Bill Payment / Invoice Payment' These lines need to be itemized by the same description the transaction is assigned to eg. 'Payment to Phone Company' or 'Received Invoice from X Customer' This is making reconciling a nightmare and taking forever. Why was such a useful and user friendly way of itemizing transactions removed in the upgrade ? Sure the line item can be renamed and upgraded but with thousands of transactions, thats not practical / realistic. In the still available read only old view, the line items are described specifically as what they are......please take this back. Oh and an option to export these transactions reports in Exel or PDF would be more than useful. The transactions file creates more problems than it helps solve ! This just seems like a massive step backwards....!!!

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @David_MKN. Thanks for reaching out here, and for offering your context and input around the update to our transactions page. I can see that you had also reached out recently to our support team over email, and that you had received a response there. I'm sorry for the inconveniences that this update have presented you, however this is not something that will be reverted. I would recommend continuing the dialogue that you have opened with our support team in order for further inquiries on this matter.

• JeremyTeongJeremyTeong Member Posts: 5

Hi Wave,
    I only recently noticed that there is the requirement to upgrade the account? Can I know whether my account is already the updated one?

Also, noticed that the delete transaction function do not have a confirmation. Meaning if you accidentally click on the trashcan icon, your transaction go poof. Would appreciate if a confirmation to delete message pops up when clicking the trashcan icon.

Appreciate any response from your team. Thanks