Options

Adding Attachment to Invoice

tgabarcatgabarca Member Posts: 1

Hi,

We facilitate government transactions for our clients. Our invoices contain the actual invoice from the government agency involved and our own invoice. My question is, is there an option to attach (pdf) the government agency invoice together with the invoice that we create for our clients? I do not see any option that lets me attach files during the sending of invoices via Wave. Of course this can be done using 3rd party email services but would just like to know if this can be done in Wave.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hi Lisa! You can't add an attachment to a Wave invoice, but you can export your invoice as a PDF and then attach it along with anything else you need to send to your customer to an email.

• Options
    abajanabajan Member Posts: 10

When creating a new customer (or editing a current customer's info) it would be very useful if there were a field to enter notes about them.

edited August 29, 2018
  • Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @abajan!

Can you give us a little more information about the kind of information you'd put in that field that would be useful for you to be able to reference easily?

I'd love to know what easily accessible customer information would make your work day easier.

edited February 7, 2018
  • Options
    AnAverageJoAnAverageJo Member Posts: 5

In my case a text box would be great so that we can just put in generalized notes about the customers needs

• Options
    abajanabajan Member Posts: 10

Thanks for your reply @Alexia.

My apologies for the late response, but like @AnAverageJo has stated, a text box (more specifically, a textarea field: a multi-lined text box) for general info, would be perfect. Of course, whatever notes I enter there should be seen by me only, and not appear on the invoice.

As shown below, Wave already has such a field for individual invoices, when recording payments. I would like the same type of field for entering notes on the customer as a whole, not just on a per invoice basis.

• Options
    RamRam Member Posts: 1

Hi,

While sending invoice, we also need to send time sheets. so, is there a way to add attachments to the invoice? currently, we are sending invoice from waveapps and sending time sheets in a separate email. but, if we can attach pdfs to invoice in wave apps, everything will be at one place, one email.

I dont find any option to attach docs with invoice. Is there a way to do this? If not, it would be a nice feature to add.

Regards,
    Ram

• Options

Hi @tgabarca.

Unfortunately, you can't attache documents to invoices at this time. There's a few ways you could handle it, but which one is the best one largely depends on your business. Can you tell me a little more? I'd specifically like to know if your company is the one payment the government invoice, which is then reimbursed by your client.

• Options

Hi @Ram.

Can I ask why you need to send in time sheets separately? I know that a lot of our users have an "hourly work" product they use to charge for time worked in their invoices. If you need to have more details, you could add the "Hourly work" product several times to represent different time periods, which you could write in the description field. So you would end with something like this...

• Options

Hi @abajan.

Can you tell me a bit more about what specific kind of information you'd put there? Can you tell me about a case that made you go "Oh I wish I had a place to write this down"?

• Options
    ByDesignByDesign Member Posts: 5

definitely would like this feature added. I too need to send detailed excel time sheets with some invoices. Having to send them separately isn't ideal. My clients are used to receiving invoice and timesheet in one email.

• Options

Hi @ByDesign. You could download the invoice as a PDF and send it from your email account as an attachment instead, with your timesheet also attached. It'll be a few more steps, but it will allow you to send both those documents together.

Can you tell me why you prefer to send in your hours as an Excel sheet? What kind of information do you need to show your client? Is this just a typical requirement for your clients, or is it simply part of your own workflow?

• Options
    UHRP3UHRP3 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi @Alexia @ByDesign @Ram @Mani @tgabarca

Wave database should not (and perhaps will not) carry the load of the attachment.

I would suggest to upload the timesheet to cloud (Google Drive, One drive, BOX or any of your choice) and then share the link of this in the Notes section of the Invoice

• Options
    Alex33Alex33 Member Posts: 1

I too would like an option to add attachments but images for property maintenance I do, is there no way that this could be added. I'm on the road and take detailed before and after pictures just now I have to send images separate. Can't download from app

• Options

Hi @Alex33. Thank you for adding your voice to this.

Since this can't be done right now, I do recommend @UHRP3's suggestion of using a link to the image or document in the comments for an invoice.

• Options
    GreenpointGreenpoint Member Posts: 2

I'd like to be able to store a few files somewhere within Wave - mainly excel sheets - and be able to select from these to either send with quotations and invoices, or to open them later when I'm reviewing my quotations to prepare an invoice.

For example, I sometimes need to include a detailed breakdown with a conversion from itemized services to working days (some clients need to contract me in days). I'd like to be able to add a note in my quotation indicating the number of days, and then select the attachment within Wave. Then when I'm creating the invoice I could open the Excel sheet from the original quote and attach a revised version to the final invoice.

• Options
    lcslebanonlcslebanon Member Posts: 7

It would be nice if there was the ability to attach internal notes (which are only visible to our staff and not the customer) to invoices or customer statements, because in many times we customers or payments that we want to explain a bit further by adding such notes or memos to them.

edited August 31, 2018
  • Options

Hi @lcslebanon,

Can you tell me a bit more about what kind of information you would be putting there, in the specific context of your business?

• Options
    ColleenColleen Member Posts: 1

I would also love to have this feature added as the nature of my business requires clients to complete several application forms. Currently I download the invoice and save as a PDF, then send the attachments from my own e-mail, but this is cumbersome and time consuming.

Thank you!

• Options

Thank you both for your feedback!

• Options
    cposeycposey Member Posts: 1

I would love to see this feature as well. It wouldn’t necessarily have to put additional load on Wave dB, maybe it could be more a mechanism to use your local email client to generat and send invoice with a pause in the process to allow one to add attachments.

• Options
    BrettBrett Member Posts: 4

I was really surprised to find no Notes field. And I’m excited to see activity here and that folks are listening. We keep notes on all our customers in QB. This would help Wave a lot!

Notes could contain:
    1. Send invoice to Bill (owner), CC Joe (accounting) and CC Jane (marketing) since Wave only supports 1 email at the moment. We have to keep a separate note now. Icky.
    2. If no response from X, send again to Z
    3. Monthly budget, keep under $XXX.XX
    4. Remaining trade balance: $XXX.XX OR X Hours
    5. ANYTHING the client should not see.

I don’t even see a hack for this. Please let me know where I could put this info, especially #1 since it makes me feel like it’s 1999 again having to look up each client on a separate list.

I hope this helps! And maybe it’s already on the roadmap... ;)

• Options
    KellieKellie Member Posts: 8

I would use a hidden notes box much the same way as Brett describes it.
    I'd also note when their cc expires, if they have any annual recurring charges and when, and list what third-party suppliers get billed back to their business. (Somewhat related, it would be great to have a way to associate expenses automatically with a customer invoice, and allow for handling/service mark-up -- or maybe it's there and I just haven't figured that out yet!)

• Options
    RahimRahim Member Posts: 97 ✭✭

@Brett Thank you for those examples. Seeing how people would use this is very helpful. I'd love to hear other examples from those on this thread.

If you had the ability to store these, where would you expect to see them in Wave?
    1. Customer details
    2. When creating an invoice for that customer

Where else? I'd love to understand where this information is useful and relevant!

Thanks,

Rahim

• Options
    munjtasticmunjtastic Member Posts: 1

@UHRP3 said:
    Hi @Alexia @ByDesign @Ram @Mani @tgabarca

Wave database should not (and perhaps will not) carry the load of the attachment.

I would suggest to upload the timesheet to cloud (Google Drive, One drive, BOX or any of your choice) and then share the link of this in the Notes section of the Invoice

Its 2018, there shouldn't be a devops challenge to add file attachments. Other SAAS Products have supported this for a long time. Harvest invoicing (though not full accounting) has supported file attachments for a long time and it works great when we send invoices to customers with additional docs, design files, proofs, etc.

I shouldn't even have to mention that QB obviously supports this as well. BTW, willing to pay for a WAVE offering that has more features, etc.

• Options
    ManiMani Member Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Hello all the amazing folks giving us feedback on this thread. We hear you loud and clear. Attachments are fundamental to the way you do business in your sales cycle, and in the communications you have with your customers/clients. We recognize invoices and estimates feel incomplete for your needs without this.

In 2018, we're going to be making some major changes to the back-end that powers the features of our sales tooling (e.g., invoicing). As part of that, we'll be looking to enable our teams to bring functionality like this to market much faster than before. No promises on timelines, but let's just say we hear you and are listening carefully.

• Options
    elimaxelimax Member Posts: 1

just to add another use case to your collection:

• we need to have a file(s) linked to an invoice. This link not necessarily should be visible to the client (file for internal purpose). Our product is custom made per order and we need to be able to "put a face" on an invoice for our internal reference: what exactly been done for the client. Just a text field description is not sufficient. Using external storage (Dropbox, Google, etc) can work but is too fragile. Thanks in advance.
  • Options

Hi, @elimax.

When you say "put a face" to an invoice, do you just mean link a picture to it? I would just want to know a bit more about kind of file that'd be at play in this scenario.

• Options
    steve578steve578 Member Posts: 3

Internal notes are needed to record client information thats needed for staff viewing ONLY. example: shipping account numbers, bad debt payers, problems, special pricing structures or discounts for certain situations. Important data that is needed to reflect back on at any point in time.

• Options
    steve578steve578 Member Posts: 3

Need this to swich over

• Options

Thank you for your feedback, @steve578. While I can't promise that we will build this feature, feedback from Wavers has an important impact on how we choose what to build next for Wave, so thank for taking time to share yours!