Options

Adding Attachment to Invoice

Comments

• Options
    TylerKTylerK Member Posts: 94 admin

Really great insight here @icecorp. The Customers page can definitely use some revamps to make it super useful and insightful (especially helpful to have this information directly accessible in Wave). We hope to one day make Wave thee go-to small business platform so elements as you've mentioned would definitely get us closer to that goal.

@bbryan84 The overpayment on one invoice to cover others is something we are currently thinking about in office quite frequently (especially among the Support Team). Having invoices being more dynamic "living" things will allow for information to flow across invoices, customers, and other elements of their "profile" as it were.

Appreciate the insight greatly, folks :)

• Options
    UniquehottubsUniquehottubs Member Posts: 2
    I agree! Notes would be so helpful. I would love to see this added!

Side note - has anyone found a good program to keep track of customer notes?
  • Options
    RobCRobC Member Posts: 7

Also, the notes in the customer accounts and invoices are going to be most useful if they can be searched. For example, I'm trying to figure out if I billed a client for specific work, but I'm stuck having to click on every invoice I've sent them around that time.

• Options
    TeknikLTeknikL Member Posts: 1

Is the feature to attach to the outgoing email coming? On that email page that comes up where you can add CCs and choose to send a copy to yourself, we just need an "attach file" option where we can upload a pdf or excel timesheet. Please!

• Options
    CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

@1Sunnyside thank you for sharing your insight. In addition to specifically what you are looking to include, we're interested in learning more about where this fits in your workflows. Could you share a little bit more about #5? Where does this fit into your business?

• Options

@TeknikL we'll be sure to share any updates as we have them.

edited November 1, 2018
  • Options

@RobC @Uniquehottubs thank you for your feedback! In most circumstances, would you be looking to attach notes to customer bios, or to invoices themselves? Am I correct in assuming these would all be internal? What information might you typically record here?

• Options
    abajanabajan Member Posts: 10

Dear Wave Team,

You are making this unnecessarily complicated. All we want is for you to add an extra text box to the customer form, so we can put whatever generalized information we want to include about the customer there. If you want to add specific fields at some later date, that's fine. We can always discuss that at some point in the future. But for the time being, please just add a field labeled Notes.

At this juncture, the absence of such a field is just an inconvenience for me, but I can see it's crucial for others like 1Sunnyside

Thank you.

• Options
    UniquehottubsUniquehottubs Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for reply. Like others stated, In my notes I would like to keep track of personal information about their families or details that I can remember them by.
  • Options
    1Sunnyside1Sunnyside Member Posts: 3

Charlotte and Wave Team,
    Many people have requested this field. You have replied with the same or a similar question repeatedly -- and received detailed answers from people, trying to help you understand. The answers have been in clear English. What is it in you that is still unable to understand the need for this Notes field? How should anyone have confidence in Wave when you seem unable to understand this simple request?

• Options
    RobCRobC Member Posts: 7

In my case, I would probably add information to the invoice. Why we applied a discount or fee, what project it was associated with, etc.

• Options
    dlefevredlefevre Member Posts: 1

Same as has been often repeated on this thread. My business is a time-keeping business, and there's absolutely no way we're going to manually enter time entries into separate Wave invoice line items. That means we absolutely must have the ability to attach a PDF document or Excel spreadsheet to the invoice so the customer receives an email with 2 attachments (the invoice and the backup detail). Many of my company's clients have automated A/P systems that parse emails and pull PDFs out, so using the notes section to add links to documents stored on a cloud system won't work, and the duct-tape-and-bailing-wire approach of exporting the invoice as a PDF to be sent through regular email is way too taxing on my staff.

• Options
    TylerKTylerK Member Posts: 94 admin

Hey @1Sunnyside! Given Wave's business model we have to prioritize very carefully which mean that folks like Charlotte and I will often probe to an extreme to help build a strong business case for a feature to be developed, refined or implemented. We have made some great progress in recent months to make Wave better and have even bigger plans for the future. We need to make sure we're focusing our attention on large scale issues that allow us to grow as well. I understand it comes off as just "adding a box" but there are many moving parts and balls we are juggling in the background.

• Options
    1Sunnyside1Sunnyside Member Posts: 3

That wasn't my point, Tyler. The question is whether you understand the issue or not. The endless questions you ask about it, and the many replies that many people have given you, should be enough for you to at least understand it. Hopefully you understand the point now. And for goodness' sake, don't resort to the semantics of "adding a box" to defend yourself. Either you understand what a NOTES field is or you don't.

edited November 8, 2018
  • Options
    ErikErik Member Posts: 194 admin

@Uniquehottubs @RobC thanks for all the feedback you've provided. Definitely have this noted for the team moving forward!

• Options
    GoBrownieGoBrownie Member Posts: 6

Tyler,

I think I understand the frustration that many other business owners are experiencing with the notes section. I have used a few different software applications in the past that allow you add additional information about a customer that is not necessarily directly linked to an Invoice. I personally would need this field, for instance, to keep information about when I contact a customer via phone. It may be because we have discussed when we will receive payment, if we had a service issue and we want to make sure that we document this so that it does not happen again or any other note that we feel is important to document about this customer. This way if another person is dealing with the customer they have "notes" of what was discussed previously and demonstrates to the client that we are an organized operation.

I understand juggling many balls about priority items but when I started using this software I was very surprised that this field was not present. Can you further explain how you determine priority of items as this seems to be significant concern for many of your customers, this thread stated in February of 2018, even if they have not expressed it in the forum.

Thank you for your time.

• Options
    JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@GoBrownie While customer request often times plays a significant role, in some cases it is not the only factor. The team here focuses on assessing if the feature is a "nice-to-have" or a “life-saver”? Does it touch a large number of customers? Does this feature add a competitive advantage? In some cases, a fix seems like an easy one but could have multiple back end implications or the software doesn't have the current capability to be built out in that way currently, making it more of a challenge than it seems. Finally, does this fix warrant taking time away from developing another feature that intrinsically strengthens the product in a larger way?

Neither Tyler or myself are engineers, so we cannot speak to the specifics of why this hasn't been adjusted in Wave as soon as you would like to have seen it, however your feedback is appreciated and has been passed along to the Product Team.

• Options
    ptypeuxptypeux Member Posts: 6

Another vote for adding attachments to an invoice. I'm used to this from other systems. My clients reimburse me for expenses and demand to see the original bills, receipts, or invoices for those expenses. It would be best to just attach those (like so many other systems already allow). Thanks.

• Options
    mistsoapmistsoap Member Posts: 1

I started adding my customer list to Wave today and was surprised to find there is not a place to record customer information such as allergies to oils and fragrances. I hope a note or text box feature is added soon.

• Options
    Jacqui_EN_2018Jacqui_EN_2018 Member Posts: 10

@Alexia said:
    Hi @Ram.

Can I ask why you need to send in time sheets separately? I know that a lot of our users have an "hourly work" product they use to charge for time worked in their invoices. If you need to have more details, you could add the "Hourly work" product several times to represent different time periods, which you could write in the description field. So you would end with something like this...

This is how I have been invoicing my clients and they are very satisfied with the result. There are two ways to do it. 1) I have a set item with a generic description that I use to calculate the charge. I created a separate line item "Notes" that I use for the description of the tasks performed each time I invoice them and put no hours. 2) The other option is to change the description each time I add it to the invoice. I also include the date in the description. It may seem cumbersome to some people, but it is the most versatile work-around I have come up with.

• Options
    SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

@Jacqui_EN_2018 thanks for those workarounds! Those are great suggestions.

• Options
    scadvoscadvo Member Posts: 1

I vote this up a million times. There are so many details that this could be used for, different for every industry. In my case, my client is the parent, but their child is who the service is relating to. It is critical that I have related names as well as space to take additional, highly relevant, internal notes. I seriously considered changing software when I realized this wasn't an option. If it becomes too cumbersome to keep those notes elsewhere, we will need to switch.

• Options
    ErikErik Member Posts: 194 admin

@mistsoap @scadvo thank you for providing those additional insights! Like Jordan mentions above, we can't guarantee anything, but I'll be sure to add these details when bringing this up to the team!

• Options
    ChiefGeekChiefGeek Member Posts: 4

I agree, a notes section at the end of the customer profile would be great. Another use I can think of, "Gate Codes". I have clients in exclusive neighborhoods that have a gate code. In QB Online I would just pop it in there. Thank you all for your hard work! :)

• Options
    ManiMani Member Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

@Jacqui_EN_2018 Did you know that you can change the column "Quantity" to say "Hours" or really anything you'd like? Your suggestion is great. We know we can be doing more here, and we're looking at ways to improve in 2019. In the meanwhile, if your timesheets are online, you can always include a link in the notes/memo field of an invoice as well.

• Options
    LizSanEditorLizSanEditor Member Posts: 1

I need a notes box at the end of the customer information too. One of the main things I'd use it for is a reminder of what kind of job I did for the customer.

• Options
    Greg04Greg04 Member Posts: 3

I myself would love to upload a file ( like a picture or short video) to the customer profile. Something for the company only, not for the client. I am a HVAC contractor and I would like to document what I have found and things that I addressed to the client. Like an old furnace that has leaking duct work or an outdoor AC unit that had been hit by the lawn service Things like that to protect me later if needed. Also, It would give me a refresher on what I would be servicing the next season.

Thanks

• Options
    SteveisDarnCleverSteveisDarnClever Member Posts: 0

Hi there,
    Brand new to Wave. Like the simplicity and connection to my bank. Huge bonus over my old system. One thing I really need though is the ability to add attachments to invoices I send clients. I have contractors working for me and I need to forward their timesheets to clients for review.

• Options
    ArlyArly Member Posts: 6

I was just about to create a post asking the same question. I slso need a area to put information about customs. I need to remember more info then just name, address etc. I have ahandwritten log book, but it would be so much easier to have everything in one spot. Thanks.. I hope we can get this feature added on soon. Have a blessed day!

• Options
    HopeinformerHopeinformer Member Posts: 1

It seems almost a year since the first post to request a way to add attachments to invoice when emailing them to customers. I read a lot of the responses from the administrator asking why they want to attach the document. It's a feature that is greatly needed. I'm coming from Quickbooks Online and thinking about switching to Wave but I greatly need this feature as well, in the web interface as well as the mobile app. I do backflow testing and the largest part of the job to submitting a test report. My customers need copies of these reports for their records.

Speaking of the mobile app, why isn't there a way to create an estimate from the mobile app? Is that also in the works? Judging from this topic posted a year ago I'm not holding my breath.