Changes to bank connection availability outside of the US and Canada

Comments

• barrytbarryt Member Posts: 31

@Ivy said:

@barryt said:

@Ivy said:

@barryt said:

@Micomp_Supp said:
    So I'm disappointed as well but has anyone looked at using Tiller Money to feed data to a google sheet then Wave Connect to import into Wave. Tiller Money manages the bank feeds to Google sheets and I have just linked up 2 Australian banks on a 30 day trial. After the trial it's $60 US per year. I'm going to test it with an old wave account I used to use and see how it works. It won't be completely automated but I have been using Wave for 7 years and don't want to have to change in the middle of a financial year.

Hi, I tried mint.com and moneybrilliant.com.au
    Both offer free service to get feeds from banks which you can download into spreadsheet and then past into Wave's google sheets to upload. I tested and works OK. moneybrilliant also links into australian super funds as well!
    If you have multiple bank accounts, you can download all into the one account that has most transactions, then change in Wave. I fiddled with the exports to add bank account ID to the transaction description to help identify whihc account. In this way you don't have to do a load for each bank account.
    Still a pain though. Please don't do this Wave!!!!

I understand Mint shows transactions in US$. Will Wave convert it to INR or AUD when you upload a bank aggregated statement in CSV format or through Wave's Google sheets?

I only tested with my AUD bank accounts and it all remained in AUD within Mint. The export was in AUD. Don't know what the Mint export would look like for INR & AUD accounts. Give it a try, it's very quick to do.

Its not taking my phone number with country code...I tried +91 and 0091 for India but it keep saying "Please enter a valid phone number including area code". Any idea how to get through? Not sure if it supports India account creation.

I had same problem. Can't quite recall waht I did, but I think i just quit then went to the welcome email and got in from the link there that just asked for user name and password.

• Bennie_GBennie_G Member Posts: 4

As a relatively new South African user and small business owner I'm also bitterly disappointed with this decision (it was the coolest feature ever!). Wave has however been such an awesome solution I'll give the CSV route a go. I sincerely hope this is a once-off issue and there are no further negative changes down the line. Keep up the great work Wave.

• AlanMosleyAlanMosley Member Posts: 6

Has anyone tried Zipbooks?

• MArky1MArky1 Member Posts: 1

The bank connect feature was the main reason behind choosing WaveApp. It has made bookkeeping so easy and reliable. We may need to look for another accountig solution.

• WaveGoodbyeWaveGoodbye Member Posts: 1

Why?
    Is this because of H&R Block?

• safirsafir Member Posts: 1

I would have been happy to pay for this feature. Really fed up that I'll now have to find and learn new book keeping software.

• Drew_hackerDrew_hacker Member Posts: 3

Like so many others, really disappointed at this decision, especially when my bank is the Australian arm of a Dutch Banking group. And I'd recommended Wave to so many friends and colleagues, with import as one of my favourite features.

• IvyIvy Member Posts: 7

@barryt said:

@Ivy said:

@barryt said:

@Ivy said:

@barryt said:

@Micomp_Supp said:
    So I'm disappointed as well but has anyone looked at using Tiller Money to feed data to a google sheet then Wave Connect to import into Wave. Tiller Money manages the bank feeds to Google sheets and I have just linked up 2 Australian banks on a 30 day trial. After the trial it's $60 US per year. I'm going to test it with an old wave account I used to use and see how it works. It won't be completely automated but I have been using Wave for 7 years and don't want to have to change in the middle of a financial year.

Both offer free service to get feeds from banks which you can download into spreadsheet and then past into Wave's google sheets to upload. I tested and works OK. moneybrilliant also links into australian super funds as well!
    If you have multiple bank accounts, you can download all into the one account that has most transactions, then change in Wave. I fiddled with the exports to add bank account ID to the transaction description to help identify whihc account. In this way you don't have to do a load for each bank account.

I understand Mint shows transactions in US$. Will Wave convert it to INR or AUD when you upload a bank aggregated statement in CSV format or through Wave's Google sheets?

I only tested with my AUD bank accounts and it all remained in AUD within Mint. The export was in AUD. Don't know what the Mint export would look like for INR & AUD accounts. Give it a try, it's very quick to do.

Its not taking my phone number with country code...I tried +91 and 0091 for India but it keep saying "Please enter a valid phone number including area code". Any idea how to get through? Not sure if it supports India account creation.

I had same problem. Can't quite recall waht I did, but I think i just quit then went to the welcome email and got in from the link there that just asked for user name and password.

It's asking whether you live in US or Canada - no other options! How did you choose Australia?

@Ivy said:

@barryt said:

@Ivy said:

@barryt said:

@Ivy said:

@barryt said:

@Micomp_Supp said:

It's asking whether you live in US or Canada - no other options! How did you choose Australia?

I moved to New York! :)

• OlabodeOlabode Member Posts: 1

You guys should collaborate with or leverage other startups in other countries either via TransferWise or Locally here in Nigeria via Paystack. I could help initiate this conversation at Paystack. This is really disheartening for me as I've been looking forward to a day where my bank account would be integrated to WaveApps.

• Lennox_TradieLennox_Tradie Member Posts: 4

WTF... So disappointing that your new Administrator has chosen to shaft everyone outside the US with this decision to cancel the Bank transaction feeds. This feature alone is the main reason why so many of us use this App. It's also the reason why so many of us will be looking elsewhere for this service. Dumb decision guys.

One last comment. Does anyone recommend any other similar software provider that does value its customers...?

• AlanAlan Member Posts: 2

Wave has lost the plot. First you remove the capability to transfer transactions between businesses for no good reason, then you remove the very reason that I use Wave - automatic downloads from banks. Terrible!!

• GrahamYSAGrahamYSA Member Posts: 2

I am another one who is "waving" goodbye becuase of this decision. I have strongly recommended Wave and was about to switch from Xero with 2 other businesses. I also find it amazing, arrogant even, that there is not one response from Wave in this chain.

• iamarkusiamarkus Member Posts: 1

Can you extend us the basic courtesy of explaining why?

• TrevorTigerTrevorTiger Member Posts: 3

Yeah, typical!

Instead of ADDING value and services, you guys are removing them.
    When you guys took Wave over, many people expected everything to turn to crap - you promised it wouldn't.
    This is what usually happens when a good and decent business is bought out by profiteers and opportunists. Takeovers should add value for the consumer - sadly this almost never happens.

You guys promised not to downgrade anything and to keep the service free. The service is still free, but this is definitely a DOWNGRADE. Therefore - YOU GUYS SUCK! It's sad, but no surprise to see you guys are just like any other greedy profiteers out to screw the ordinary, hard working guy.

Thanks for nothing!

• TrevorTigerTrevorTiger Member Posts: 3

Fellow users - any programmers out there?

Maybe we should get together and form an open source team to create a New Wave that keeps all the current features of Wave and adds new ones - like a good app/company should.

I'm tired of companies run by morons who think it's okay to screw the little guy over. Let's make the little guy a giant and show these people what it means to take on the little guy.

I'm also going to post on social media about how much H&R Block sucks! They are destroying Wave bit by bit. H&R Block, you guys SUCK!

If you can code in PHP, MySQL etc - please join the project to start an alternative to Wave - join here: https://newwave.sourceforge.io

edited November 10, 2019
  • FastoreFastore Member Posts: 4

Hey everyone,
    I'm no programmer but I love to find little hacks to get around obstacles tech places in our way.
    I'm testing a simple work around using Tiller Money ($60/yr) to automatically download bank transactions to a google spreadsheet. Then with Zapier automate copying the transactions into a spreadsheet formatted for Wave.
    The only manual intervention is to upload the transactions via Wave connect.
    Would be even easier if Wave adds more functionality to their Zapier integration!

• not_wave_ingnot_wave_ing Member Posts: 1

WTF? I have recommended this app for a few of my clients who have gone through the pain of implementing this software into their business and training staff, including me, and NOW you remove automatic bank connections? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?
    Your import tool is hit and miss. Some banks don't have CSV export so some of my clients will have to manually enter every freaking transaction. WTF?
    THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BANK CONNECTION TOOL. You can't remove a key feature of functionality for everyone outside the US, Canada, UK and EU!! HRBlock is global but you have just alienated all of your Australian clients.
    WAVE Apps mission was to provide an accounting platform for free to support small business. By removing the bank connection tool, effective in 2 months, WTF? YOU HAVE SEVERELY EFFECTED SMALL BUSINESSES, forcing them to move to a paid platform with little time to make the change.
    Listen to the OUTRAGE on this thread and reconsider.
    You bought the platform knowing that it provided quality free apps (with some paid services) for small businesses and now you are screwing us over? You should be ashamed but doubt you will care. Just in case you were wondering, you suck!

• D_Watts_2356D_Watts_2356 Member Posts: 4

@Lennox_Tradie said:
    WTF... So disappointing that your new Administrator has chosen to shaft everyone outside the US with this decision to cancel the Bank transaction feeds. This feature alone is the main reason why so many of us use this App. It's also the reason why so many of us will be looking elsewhere for this service. Dumb decision guys.

One last comment. Does anyone recommend any other similar software provider that does value its customers...?

I'm seriously considering moving to https://accounts-app-intl.bullethq.com/signup/create.page
    Another Wave user suggested them and so far it seems just as good as Wave. They currently don't have Australian bank feeds but according to the user, Bullet's support said the Aussie bank feeds would be implemented in a couple of weeks. They are free for all the same features Wave has, except additional users require a monthly fee. This isn't an issue for me. Anyway, hopefully it helps because I was happy to have found something to switch to.

• D_Watts_2356D_Watts_2356 Member Posts: 4

@AlanMosley said:
    Has anyone tried Zipbooks?

I did set up an account with them and think Bullet Accounting (based out of Ireland) is better. https://accounts-app-intl.bullethq.com/signup/create.page Zipbooks has more fees for basic features like saving items for invoicing. Just waiting on the confirmation of bank feeds for Australians.

• AlanMosleyAlanMosley Member Posts: 6

Thanks looking into it now

• GrumbleGrumble Member Posts: 4

H&R Block takes over a great company that is worldwide and renders it USA only. Another dumb corporate decision from a nation who do not understand that there is a whole world of opportunity and diversification out there, so they go local and insular.

@barryt said:

@Ivy said:

@barryt said:

@Ivy said:

@barryt said:

@Ivy said:

@barryt said:

@Micomp_Supp said:

I moved to New York! :)

I tried that on PayPal. 7 years later they demanded an SSN and stole my money because I couldn't provide one. Damned American companies who failed geography and think USA is the only country in the world.

Slickpie looks good

@Grumble said:
    Slickpie looks good

Not cash based it seems ... :(

@barryt said:

@Grumble said:
    Slickpie looks good

Not cash based it seems ... :(

Yes - should be a simple setting on all accounting software. Looking at Akaunting and Brightbook as well

• Anon85Anon85 Member Posts: 1

This is one of the main reasons I use waveapps. I’ll definitely be looking elsewhere if they don’t reverse this decision.

• DixitexDixitex Member Posts: 5

Unfortunately this is a bad business decision for Wave. I will have to look at other options.

• webxsitewebxsite Member Posts: 9

Remove features that helped you grow your company through users.
    Punish users who gave feedback and helped you with your IP
    I wish all the worst to Wave and hope karma bites them hard.
    Obviously its a huge drain on their servers that they simply cant afford.

• sandagsandag Member Posts: 1

If this is the result of acquisition by H&R then it is a complete disaster. The single most useful thing about this type of product is the automatic download of bank transactions. It is just astounding that you would do this.

This discussion has been closed.