Options

Time tracking

Comments

• Options
    QaisEQaisE Member Posts: 72 admin

@CLTVTD_TheCustodian Hey there! Thank you for providing a +1 for integrating or creating a time-tracking component to Wave. As you may have gathered already from previous posts, creating our own time-tracking feature is not in our immediate plans. We do encourage users to post/promote feature ideas so that our developers get a good sense of what to include in our future updates. You can refer to @PhilipBC 's post from earlier referencing our recent integration with BlueCamroo to find out how you can implement time-tracking into your Wave account. Thanks again!

• Options
    CLTVTD_TheCustodianCLTVTD_TheCustodian Member Posts: 4

Thank you very much for your consideration! I'll check out PhilipBS's post.

• Options
    Colleen_LionHeartColleen_LionHeart Member Posts: 9

I tried Blue Camroo, very much hoping that it would let me use Wave again, and come back from Freshbooks. It doesn't:

Add date to the invoice
    Allow for various rates
    Add time to the invoice by date range
    Give a single invoice or time view

Basically anything that Freshbooks does. I was so hoping this would allow me to use Wave. Blue Camroo looks to be a nice sales and marketing tracker, but not for simply billing time to customers, like so many of us do!

There are suggestions here to do an API with some very good time tracking apps, rather than reinventing the wheel, why not use those already in use that have good APIs like Tsheets or Toggl. Please! There are so many of us willing to pay, as evidenced by those of us that use Freshbooks or Quickbooks.

• Options
    Kristian_GKristian_G Member Posts: 56 admin

Hey @Colleen_LionHeart,

Thanks for adding to the discussion and for your input! I'm not very familiar with this particular integration, and I'm sorry that it hasn't seemed to lived up to your expectations. I know that there are a number of time tracking integrations available with Wave, which might be better suited to your needs. A popular one that people seem to use a lot is Clockify.

I realize that researching, learning, and using all of these different integrations isn't exactly an ideal situation, but I hope that you'll be able to find one that works for you :smile:

You can find a full list of available Wave integrations here.

• Options
    AClampetAClampet Member Posts: 1

If timesheets is not part of Wave Apps by December 2020 I will be moving on to a new product.

• Options
    tnpimatttnpimatt Member Posts: 4

Yet another vote in support of time sheets. My accounting software for the past 15 years is leaving maintenance so I have to go somewhere. I tried freshbooks and it has wonderfully adequate time based billing. Please ape it. 🤓

Extra super duper bonus points if the times rolls up into invoices AND the income is reported in the months during which it was earned and not all at once some number of months when I got around to creating the invoice.

edited July 24, 2020
  • Options
    QuwwQuww Member Posts: 1

I as well switched from freshbooks. The time tracker should be free and easy to use. Log on, log off, add it to an invoice.

• Options
    shovelandsandboxshovelandsandbox Member Posts: 1

@CoyodiSoul said:
    Here to +1 this feature as well. I'm trying hard to make the switch from FreshBooks right now, and this is the single deal-breaker for me.. I'm even trying to find integrations that will work until native support is added.

I don't think that a native time-tracking tool would be necessary all at once. There is adequate support for Zapier to hook in and add hours via a time tracking app such as Toggl or Harvest. The issue I've encountered is that there doesn't appear to be any way to combine the charges from the individual time-tracked instances.

2 ideas that may be solutions which would require less resource commitment (maybe?) from the Wave team that I've had than fully building time-tracking tools would be to:

1. Add the ability to combine invoices in bulk per customer. It is possible to create an invoice based on an amount of time from Zapier integrations, but there would be one invoice per time log, which would be obnoxious to send to a customer of course. Combining invoices prior to approval/sending would at least keep it succinct for the customer to view, and a very minor change in workflow to invoicing.

2. A new action event that Zapier/etc can integrate with to submit hours in float to a product/service type and/or income account type that holds the value, then when an invoice is made in Wave, all hours can be pulled from that value and added to the invoice at the set rate for the product/service.

Anyway, I do like this product and I hope this makes it on the timeline or I can figure out a way to work around it, because this is the singular thing missing for me personally.

This is the problem I'm having, too. I use zapier for loads of other things, so using it to handle time tracking is more than okay with me. The problem I'm having is that there's no simple way to say 'get all time tracked for a two week period and create an invoice in wave with the total'

• Options
    ramseyloveramseylove Member Posts: 1

Does Wave have a general new feature timeline and Is there any hope for this feature to happen? I switched to fresh books for this feature but want to switch back because of using very little of their other services with having multiple small companies, it is getting really expensive.

There's a lot of people in the comments who have chimed in on wanting this feature but only 8 upvotes for the feature. I would think that the votes are semi-important to getting this thing to happen. So if you get time maybe upvote the feature request.

IMO I've used zapier integrations with multiple other services and its nothing but a time sink for the most part. Setting things up correctly and actually getting the results you want rarely happens, it always just feels like a work around.

edited August 3, 2020
  • Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @ramseylove

My apologies about this bad news however we don't have this on our product roadmap that we've heard of. I totally understand how this is a handy feature a lot of users would love to see, however our team is currently working on a few other things on our new beta transactions page as well as the back end of invoicing!

It's definitely something I personally would also love to see in the future as well, I just don't think we're able to provide an ETA on this.

• Options
    Bwt615Bwt615 Member Posts: 1
    Blows my mind this hasn’t been addressed yet. Tried out wave for a hot second and went back to quickbooks! Totally the superior product. The fact that nothing has been done here totally shattered my faith in Wave’s Product managers, developers and strategy!

I tried the zappier integration. It’s not possible to enter hours in wave.
  • Options
    ManyMany Member Posts: 2

I'm new to Wave and I'm currently testing Wave for a possible port over. I was expecting to be be able to do Time Billing (even if time tracking tool is not available). I'm still drilling down on features, but I haven't seen a way to create invoices based on billed time and hourly rates. Is there a way to configure this in Wave?

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @Many

Not sure if you've taken a look at our integrations with Zapier, but I'm curious if Time Tracking is something that might help you here?

• Options
    ManyMany Member Posts: 2

Thanks @BarsinA,
    It's possible that this integration would work for my needs, however Time Traker application on it's own costs as much as a standalone accounting application. This makes it a non-starter for me. My sales are mostly hourly billing. I need an accounting solutions where I can track hours on a per project and/or hourly rate basis and then create invoices with dates, hours, rates entries.

• Options
    POLENPOLEN Member Posts: 2

I would love an integration with Harvest. I am happy with it, but I would love to create the invoices in Wave so I don't have to do the work twice.

• Options
    StevePierceStevePierce Member Posts: 5

Not being able to track and bill time is really hard. I want to switch from Freshbooks but I need an easy way to track and bill time that is cheaper than Freshbooks. If it costs the same or more it isn't worth switching to Wave. Nor is it worth switching if it is harder to do. So far Blue Camroo has been nearly impossible to use. It's as if the recommendations from Wave are for products and solutions that haven't actually tried to use themselves to run a small business.

• Options
    threesixtythreesixty Member Posts: 1

Hi Folks

I'd also like to see a work log module.
    Keeping track of all the different things I do for various clients is the core of it — even if I enter the time manually.
    (I've tried endless auto time trackers, and I inevitably forget to turn them on and off and end up logging my day's tasks manually anyway.)

I might be working on a communications slide deck for a client one hour, then switch to writing something unrelated for them, then I might have to spend a couple of hours doing an infographic for a different client.
    If I had a way to log all these tasks, saying what I did and how long it took, I could keep it all within Wave.

I'd also suggest an important feature for me would be the ability to group a number of tasks into a single billing item.

Cheers!

Tom

• Options
    offshoreangeloffshoreangel Member Posts: 1

Very frustrating. Have been using Wave for a few years but I am setting up the small law firm I work for, office and so desperately wanted to use Wave for it, but as you all know there is no time tracking which is super important to attorneys. I have tried the Bluecamroo integration and it totally failed. While the alleged integration worked, the actual "create invoice" from the 'add time" to a customer did not. Was met with "Error" each and every time. Spent half a day on this and no one from either Wave or Bluecammro could seem to help. Had me clear cache, had me add an email address on a "test customer", literally nothing worked. And the time tracking is so limited its almost unusable. Bluecamroo sight is hard to navigate-couldn't find a video for bluecamroo for dummies etc. So either we have to go with Timecamp or Toggl and hope that Zapier integration actually works, or ditch Wave which would suck. I honestly don't understand why Wave doesn't want to add this feature. We would pay a reasonable upgrade just to simplify workflow. C'mon Wave-listen to your customers, They have LOUDLY spoken. HELP!!!

• Options
    socialjargnsocialjargn Member Posts: 1

YES! PLEASE ADD!!

I'm using TimeCamp right now, which is working great (custom reports, segmented by project, a space for notes, a live timer or time entry option) but would love to either have this be part of Wave or at least have the ability to synchronize this to make billing out for clients easier. I will echo other comments and say it would be worth it enough to pay for this feature.

• Options
    RedThistleRedThistle Member Posts: 3
    +1 for time tracking!
    This seems like a no brainer. I currently use Timeclock for tracking my time for client + task + notes as a self employed tradesperson and it's a pain having to manually enter this info into invoices later.
  • Options
    NWMediaNWMedia Member Posts: 2

Another +1 for time tracking. Like many others, I'm using Freshbooks, which lets you track time by client, then turn as much of that time, when you want, into an invoice. It's pretty sweet. I'd rather use Wave so that I can have all three of my business accounts under one log-in, plus my personal accounting!

• Options
    WavingGoodByeWavingGoodBye Member Posts: 2

Any update from the Wave team if time tracking is "on the road map"?

Perhaps I'm dense, but it seems like small businesses often fall into two categories:
    1. Sell a product (item based)
    2. Provide a service (time based)
    Of course, some businesses do both.

Without time tracking, Wave limits its market base to mostly businesses that sell products and those of us holding out hope that Wave or HR Block will add a timing feature. Perhaps Wave/HR Block doesn't feel it needs to cater to those that bill by time; please just be straight with us if there is no plan for time tracking. However, it seems from this thread that Wave has has a real chance at capturing clients from Freshbooks and growing its client base.

This thread (and the others like it) already offers plenty of simple time tracking features:
    1. Select a client
    3. Start timing
    4. End timing
    5. Have the ability to add a comment/note
    6. Automatically add to a draft invoice
    7. Also send the time to payroll timesheets for the employee (probably should require approval)

That last feature also turns a time tracking feature into a punch clock for businesses that have employees or solo s-corps.

Of course, the timing feature should have mobile access. Perhaps an addition to Wave's invoicing app or a robust 3rd party integration (ie not through zapier).
    Zapier integration with companies like Time Tracker or Harvest leave me scratching my head because Wave is rolling out the red carpet for clients to leave Wave since Time Tracker & Harvest can create invoices and accept online payment. Furthermore, Harvest has robust integrations with xero and quickbooks, so why it is again a customer needs Wave?

I cannot express enough how frustrating it is to see that 2 years have passed since this thread was started.

Please let us know if there is any future for a time tracking feature. Thank you.

• Options
    rodpancinerodpancine Member Posts: 1

Really looking forward to time tracking on Wave.

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @WavingGoodBye , thank you for spending time writing out this post and collecting quite a few of the past listed options in this thread into a single post. The reality of the situation is that this is still not a feature that we're looking to implement in the near future, but it is something that remains on our radar. Having users posts how and why this would help them, as well as how they'd like to see it implemented is a great aid in helping to prioritize this product's implementation.

• Options
    CBsqConsultingCBsqConsulting Member Posts: 0

Does Wave have the functionality to track, document, or log time spent on a project, then add that time to an invoice? I'm looking for an easier way to "clock in" when I start working on a client's project, "clock out" when I'm done, and add that time (at a defined $/hr rate) to the client's monthly invoice. If Wave doesn't offer this functionality, can you recommend a complementary tool?

edited March 9, 2021
  • Options
    KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @CBsqConsulting,

I've moved your post to a thread on Time-Tracking in Wave, where you can follow the discussion, and hopefully gain some more insight into this feature request!

This isn't a tool that Wave offers at the moment, but we have a couple of tools which work with our Zapier integration, which you may find useful:

edited March 9, 2021
  • Options
    Donna_GDonna_G Member Posts: 2

I was hoping there was more progress on TIME TRACKING. Please Please Please add this. For other users needing this feature, I am using an app called HoursTracker which will allow me to clock my time by client on my phone and export my time by customer to a CSV file, and then I paste my time into the Notes at the bottom of my Wave Invoice. There is no formatting and does not look fantastic, but it allows me to at least show my time reports on the invoice. Another option is to put "Time Accounting sent separately" in the notes and send a separate time report that is nicely formatted. If Wave could format the Notes field to accept columns tables, etc it would look a little better. I just linked my Wave Account with BlueCamroo but it looks like a nightmare waiting to happen. I think I am going to delete it..

• Options
    KathySKathyS Member Posts: 1

@AlexL said:
    Hey @WavingGoodBye , thank you for spending time writing out this post and collecting quite a few of the past listed options in this thread into a single post. The reality of the situation is that this is still not a feature that we're looking to implement in the near future, but it is something that remains on our radar. Having users posts how and why this would help them, as well as how they'd like to see it implemented is a great aid in helping to prioritize this product's implementation.

I am replacing Quickbooks with Wave, because this small biz just can't afford QB anymore. I used a great little tracking app T-Sheets, but Quickbooks bought them out and informed me price will go from $9 to $30 per month - just can't deal with 300% price increases. A time tracker is very much needed, and would make getting hours to invoice much easier.

edited March 21, 2021
  • Options
    WavingGoodByeWavingGoodBye Member Posts: 2

@KathyS said:

@AlexL said:

I am replacing Quickbooks with Wave, because this small biz just can't afford QB anymore. I used a great little tracking app T-Sheets, but Quickbooks bought them out and informed me price will go from $9 to $30 per month - just can't deal with 300% price increases. A time tracker is very much needed, and would make getting hours to invoice much easier.

@KathyS sorry to hear about this quick change in price. I cannot in good faith encourage any person who bills by time to move to Wave. Freshbooks might be a better option since they appear to have actual time integration options. Others might be able to suggest more alternatives.

Hey Wave, you have a market base that is itching to move away from quickbooks. Is time tracking still not a feature you are looking to implement in the near future? I wonder how time-based businesses will select invoicing and payroll software.

• Options
    TheComputerGuyTheComputerGuy Member Posts: 3

Hi there EVERYONE.

I have been with wave for a long time and a we have all been told (By WAVE themselves) there is absolutely no way they are to going to implement time tracking.

I am in Australia & when WAVE disabled bank integrations it forced me to go else where for my book keeping.

The product is good but the WAVE platform management have drastically shut down their market place on purpose and the lack of time tracking (that has been asked for umpteen number of times) should see the end of the wave.

I honesty believe there is enough support for wave to charge a reasonable fee to to keep the bank integration functions for international clients but they are not even interested in that.... so why would they integrate a service that a very high percentage of wave users.

So what is it that people are using for bank integrations outside of Canada & what are you using for time tracking and getting it imported to wave?? What platform have people moved to or are moving to??

It is my understanding that the wave team have absolutely no interest in developing the product to support international clients, or their client's that are screaming for time tracking for so long.

Is there something that we can use instead of wave that matches the needs of everyone and actually listen to their client base.