Upload a bank or credit card statement in .csv format

Comments

• Ute11Ute11 Member Posts: 4

Thanks for your help, Jordan,
    I sent you a message.

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@Ute11 I was able to take a closer look and had some success with uploading the statement into my test account (don't worry I deleted the transactions after!). I made some tweaks and changed the "Payee" heading to "Description" and removed the extra 2 columns from the file. Seems like it worked! I've sent you a DM because I'd love to send you a hard copy of the CSV, but will need your email address and I don't want you to have to share it publicly :)

edited April 18, 2019
  • Dave_Howard72Dave_Howard72 Member Posts: 6

keep getting - Wave is having difficulty reading the dates of your transactions. Learn more. when uploading my CSV file.
    this is the entire statement in a 3 column format
    23/03/2019 APPLE PTY LIMITED 1.49
    25/03/2019 Upwork -229272293REF 116.57
    25/03/2019 OVERSEAS TRANSACTION FEE 3.5
    29/03/2019 HOWLONG CENTRAL CAFE 8.5
    29/03/2019 EZY FUEL COROWA 25
    4/02/2019 ALLIANZ INSURE Cl 444
    4/02/2019 BPAY PAYMENT -428.41
    4/02/2019 SERVICE NSW 550.41
    4/03/2019 UNITED PETROLEUM PTY 68.64
    4/08/2019 Amazon web services 34.49
    ORIGINAL TRANSACTION AMOUNT USD 24.45
    4/08/2019 OVERSEAS TRANSACTION FEE 1.03
    4/08/2019 Upwork -231683906REF 174.32
    4/08/2019 OVERSEAS TRANSACTION FEE 5.23
    4/09/2019 ALDIMOBILE 35
    4/11/2019 HALF ACRE COFFEE LN 10.3
    4/12/2019 HALF ACRE COFFEE LN 13.8
    13/04/2019 SUDS CITY CARWASH 15.2
    13/04/2019 MCDONALDS ALBURY 12.85
    16/04/2019 HUNGRY JACKS BARNAWAR 13
    17/04/2019 EZY FUEL COROWA 67.27
    19/04/2019 BUDGET DIRECT 54.98
    23/04/2019 SUDS CITY CARWASH 15.2
    what is wrong - i have tried every date format recommended and tried every other recommendation here in the comments.
    I am really getting over this - worked for a year with no issues finding my account now have to resort to uploading statements and cant even do that.

• Dave_Howard72Dave_Howard72 Member Posts: 6

worked it out without Wave support - apparently it wont let you upload a statement that starts in one month and ends in another. My bank issues statements for the 23rd of the month and not from 1st of the calendar month to the end of the calendar month. If your have date issues try downloading your statement (if your in a similar position to me) in two a customised statement for the calendar month. as per my comment below i uploaded from the 23/3/19 - 29/3/19 and then a separate upload for the remainder of April and it worked. I might add though this was a pain in the A*** to work out and cost me 3 hours!:(

• Stew_Wilson72Stew_Wilson72 Member Posts: 3

I keep getting the check your file type error, when it clearly is a .csv I dont even get to any option to choose columns etc, am I right to say that I may get this message, when it could be a completely different issue, maybe some data issue within file itself ?

edited May 3, 2019
  • Stew_Wilson72Stew_Wilson72 Member Posts: 3

I formatted my doc, as per comments below, all I get is check if your file is .csv when it clearly is .csv. this is driving me nuts. While I'm at it, I used to be able to connect to my bank account St GEORGE Bank is Australia, this worked for 6 months, now doesnt. Not sure how to describe my frustration right now !

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@Stew_Wilson72 I've sent you a separate email so you can share your file with me; that way, I can check for some formatting issues and we can dig in there. Thanks!

• GailG_lucky13GailG_lucky13 Member Posts: 2

The system says:
    Confirm that the column we've selected contains deposit and withdrawal amounts you made to this account. If a different column is highlighted, please visit our Help Center for help formatting your CSV.
    It won't let me choose another column as this article suggests. One is already chosen (balance) and I think it should be credit (for my checking bank statement). The article they click to only addresses error messages and I don't have any. Pls help! Thx

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @GailG_lucky13, I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your CSV upload still. Sometimes browser trouble can be a factor that prevents the upload from working properly. Can you ensure that you are using an up to date Chrome/Firefox/Edge browser with browser extensions/add blockers disabled? Can you also try clearing your caches & cookies and try logging into Wave in an incognito browser and see if you are getting the same results.

If you are still having the same issues, can you submit a ticket with us here, can you include a copy of the bank statement you are trying to import and we can see if it is possible to upload it for you on our end!

• LingLing Member Posts: 1
    I have exported my bank file and saved as ofx but it did not import into Wave. Then I tried to save as CSV and it did not work too. I followed your instruction further and download your CSV template with 3 required column- Date, Description and amount ( Dr +, Cr -), I copied my Data (exported file) and paste them into your template with under 3 columns -Date, Description and amount (I checked the date format and amount format per your instruction). It still fail to upload. I have spent so much time on this. Can you please help? Thanks
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hello @Ling ! Sorry to hear about the troubles you're having getting your transactions into Wave. Our .CSV uploader can be finnicky as it looks for very specific requirements in the file so that Wave can recognize it. If you've been through all of the following steps and it still hasn't yielded any results, I'd encourage you to reach out to our Support team here with your .csv file attached so we can take a further look at what's going on.

• acloginaclogin Member Posts: 1

First time user here. I'm just trying to see if it meets my needs and everything has fallen over so far. I've wasted a lot of time trying to link a bank account which doesn't even appear to try connecting, and has no error message.. Then I finally give up on that and try to upload csv files manually, to which it says,
    "Something went wrong with your file upload. Try confirming that the file type is an accepted file type."

I've pasted the data into google spreadsheets and saved as csv to reupload, it still fails. I've deleted all but one month of data, it still fails. It just has three columns, date, number, description.

Update: Well I went and connected my google spreadsheets to waveapp. I used waveapps input sheet, pasted in the data, got it verified, and then went to upload. It just endlessly uploads. EVERY SINGLE function I've tried to use has failed, and just wasted so much time trying to figure out how to fix it. I want to love it, but this is not making it easy!

Update 2: Decided to download the google spreadsheet as a .csv since the data was apparently verified, and then upload that directly to wave.

Result: "Something went wrong with your file upload. Try confirming that the file type is an accepted file type."

Why????

edited May 22, 2019
  • JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @aclogin. I've gone ahead and sent you a support ticket email so that we can further discuss the problems that you are currently running into. Please take a look and respond when you get a chance so we can figure out what's going on here.

• NickReynolds_101NickReynolds_101 Member Posts: 1
    What do you do if the application chooses the wrong columns. It is choosing an account number for a deposit amount. I can't seem to get it to choose a different column
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @NickReynolds_101 . It sounds like your formatting may be off for the .CSV file. Because the importer is pretty finnicky, it will only accept a very specific format. Check out this link on what to do if Wave can't read your statement in CSV format. At the bottom of the page, we provide a .CSV Import Template which should help you out.

• AmaranathoAmaranatho Member Posts: 14
    The code for importing is unbelievable bad. Every-time I spend hours trying to sort this out. Please can you sort the this out it is very frustrating. Using a mac, numbers, libre office, google sheets and still not working

Hey @Amaranatho In order for us to provide you with some help, are you able to tell us which error you are seeing when attempting to upload your .csv? With that, we can see how to best help!

• AmaranathoAmaranatho Member Posts: 14

Thanks @JordanFromWave I sorted it out . You have to remove all formatting from the descrpiton including /|* or anything else weird. Still it has been a huge chunk of time to sort out. Is there no way to change the CSV import function, to include any text in "" for example

• theresemilltheresemill Member Posts: 1

First time user and doing a test run to see if this app will suit our needs. So far, it doesn't. I cannot connect to the Bank account. I have exported a .csv file. This didn't work. I got the error Something went wrong with your file upload. Try confirming that the file type is an accepted file type. I did some research, changed the .csv file to 3 columns date, amount and description. Change the description to one word. I still get the same error Something went wrong with your file upload. Try confirming that the file type is an accepted file type. Is there anything else I can try please? If neither of these functionalities work, there's not much point continuing.

• MelxxxMelxxx Member Posts: 1

If the bank account is a loan account and i import it into the Liabilities section on the balance sheet the transactions of credits and debits are all reversed? Credit shows as debit and debit shows as credit. Do i need to modify the CSV and reverse the +/-?

• MyronMyron Member Posts: 143 admin

Hey @theresemill , I'm sorry that you are experience these issues with your csv upload. Our csv uploader is very particular when it comes to what is an acceptable upload and what is not. It would be very helpful to see the csv file that you are looking to upload. I've sent you an email so that we can investigate this further. When you get a chance, please take a look at the email and respond with the csv file you are looking to upload as an attachment. :)

• FDCCFDCC Member Posts: 2

I am really at a loss with this process. I have tried all the advice from reformatting in excel, google sheets, going through and removing special characters, reformatting dates etc. and dont know what to do next.

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@FDCC Oh no! Okay, let's dig into this! What specific errors are you getting when you try and uplaod your CSV?

What I would actually recommend here is submitting a Support ticket so one of our Support heroes can work with you one on one to diagnose the issue. In the Support ticket, be sure to include your CSV file along with the specific error message so can take a closer look at what's going on. You can submit a Support ticket here. :smile:

edited June 11, 2019
  • FDCCFDCC Member Posts: 2

@ckeen_1244 said:
    @FDCC Oh no! Okay, let's dig into this! What specific errors are you getting when you try and uplaod your CSV?

What I would actually recommend here is submitting a Support ticket so one of our Support heroes can work with you one on one to diagnose the issue. In the Support ticket, be sure to include your CSV file along with the specific error message so can take a closer look at what's going on. You can submit a Support ticket here. :smile:

Thanks, I was getting the same message as Theresa Mill above, but managed to sort something using the google sheets at last yesterday by renamind the Date column to "transaction date" then suddenly it worked!

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@FDCC Good to hear! Glad it's sorted! And thanks for sharing your experience so other users can adjust their uploading process for a more successful outcome B)

• TatykaTatyka Member Posts: 1

Hi! I suffer the same trouble with upload .csv. Tryed all recomendations from instructions, different browthers. But nothing... Does you uploader really works? How can I get consultation on the subject?

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @Tatyka, thanks for reaching out. I am sorry to hear that you're having some issues your CSV upload. As a next step I recommend following Chelsea's instructions above, where she said:

There is another option for getting your transactions into Wave, Wave Connect! Wave Connect allows you to upload or download transactional data, invoices, customer lists, etc, into a Google spreadsheet. Your excel files can be easily transferred into a Google Spreadsheet as well. See this image below of what Wave Connect looks like:
    image All you need to do is input the transactional information into a template that is generated through the add-on feature in Google sheets and it auto-populates right into your Wave account once you've validated the data.

To learn more about this integration, including how to set it up, I recommend visiting this Help Center article on the topic.

• KellyMinahanKellyMinahan Member Posts: 1

Well, looks like I'm done. I have 6 years of accounting to do & bank connections work brilliantly but only for a short time frame. That means I have to download csv files & import them but I have failed despite trying everything mentioned. I keep getting this message. "Something went wrong with your file upload. Try confirming that the file type is an accepted file type"

Hey @KellyMinahan Sorry to hear that you seem to be having some difficulties uploading your statement into Wave. I can understand how frustrating that could be, especially when you have so many transactions to import. I'd love to see what I can do to help! Can you send me a DM with your email address? I'll be happy to reach out to get a copy of the statement (since you can't upload a .csv File in DMs here) and take a look at it for you.

• shanekwebshanekweb Member Posts: 1

Hi, I'm stuck on something that I can't figure out. I'm trying to upload a bank statement from when my business was started and the only transaction that month was a debit. But when I try to upload it and it only asks to select the column for deposits. Am I going about this the wrong way? Thanks for any help