Upload a bank or credit card statement in .csv format

Comments

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @tribucontracting! I'm sorry to hear about that, can you send a screenshot of your CSV versus your transactions in Wave? Would love to see what you're seeing! It could also depend on what kind of account you're uploading those transactions into!

@GarthHorigan You can actually find that template here! Go ahead and click this link and it'll download that template for you :)

• LORELORE Member Posts: 2

what the actual F****. It has imported all my bank transactions as deposits and collated them ontop of one another. So each transaction is a total sum of every previous transaction whether it's a debit or deposit, it has imported them all as deposits. Totally over this software. So many basic issues and now they disabled the bank connect feature, it's an absolute mess.

edited March 12, 2020
  • rlhrlh Member Posts: 4

i keep getting an error from your Cloudflare server that I'm blocked from uploading a CSV, which is from Paypal, because paypal won't sync. so how should i be using your accounting software when i can't get my data in automatically or manually?

• WatilaWatila Member Posts: 6

The template only shows an amount column whereas I would like to have a debit and credit column.

Is this possible

Yes it is so I discovered

And so, can I add a category with each transaction ?

when I bulk add a CSV file

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @LORE

I'm sorry you're having issues with your CSV upload. I'd recommend trying the steps in This Article on Troubleshooting Your CSV Upload

@rlh

A few things to also keep in mind sometimes are that you may run into some browser and network issues anytime you upload files from your desktop to your browser.

There are a few troubleshooting steps to take that should resolve the issue.

1. If you're using a VPN, please disable it.

2. Please power-cycle your modem and/or router. A great article that walks you through how to do this, and why it helps is available here: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-properly-restart-a-router-modem-2624570.

3. Try connecting to a different network. The fastest way to do this is usually to tether to your mobile device.

4. If you're still having trouble, please make sure that your browser is compatible with Wave.

5. Disabling your antivirus software, or adding waveapps.com to your antivirus whitelist should resolve any access issues you're having with our integrations or third party modals (such as banking login info).

@Watila
    Unfortunately there is no way to add a category to your CSV uploads :(

But you can do this in your wave account by using our Bulk Edit Tool

• Daniel7777777Daniel7777777 Member Posts: 1

I'm having trouble uploading a CSV file that I populated by hand. I'm not able to download older transactions from my bank, so I had to download the bank statements and then type everything into a spreadsheet. There's 320 rows and three columns: date, name, amount. The text is all in quotes, there are column headings, also in quotes. And then I'm saving it as a .CSV. What am doing wrong? TIA

nevermind, fixed it. there were two blank rows between the header row and the data

edited March 27, 2020

Hey @Daniel7777777! Thanks for keeping us in the loop here, I'm glad you were able to rectify that CSV issue!

• Lisa6_JLisa6_J Member Posts: 3

I am having a great deal of trouble uploading my statements to Wave from NAB. If I separate the credits & debits into separate columns before uploading it asks me to confirm amounts but highlights column 6 & I can't move it to the correct column 3. If I try uploading it without separating the credit & debits it asks me to confirm the credit column which obviously I now don't have. This is not a simple system. May I ask why we had auto transaction updates removed in Australia. I love Wave but if this is not going to be an easy process i may have to reconsider. I need to do my BAS and I can't do anything as I have no transactions. HELP!! Yes I am very frustrated

Lisa

• MikegMikeg Member Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

@Lisa6_J,
    Your transactions should just be in one column. A positive number for deposits and a negative number for withdrawals. Some downloads from banks have multiple columns including a debit column and a credit. I usually inspect the csv before uploading. Making any necessary adjustments and saving. Essentially you just need three columns. Date, Description and Amounts.

ok well would be good to know that from the start. So it's ok to select & confirm credit column when asked even if it is a mixed column. The weird thin is I managed to correctly up load half a month by spitting them, so how did that work. Is here any chance we will at some point get auto uploads back?

Ok well that worked. That needs to be fixed as that is not clear at all if it's asking you to confirm credits & it is actually a mixed column.

• Classicjazz_1Classicjazz_1 Member Posts: 3

Is there a way to enter a bank statement manually?
    Also, can I input receipts only and get a report?

Hey there @Classicjazz_1

I think Wave connect might be the answer for you

CSV Uploader

Using our CSV uploader. With the proper formatting, you are able to download a CSV document containing all of your transactions from your online banking website, and upload them directly to Wave. Check out this article on Troubleshooting your csv upload if you run into any problems when uploading your transactions.

Wave Connect

My personal favorite method is WAVE CONNECT.
    Wave Connect allows you to upload or download transactional data, invoices, customer lists, etc, into a Google spreadsheet. Your excel files can be easily transferred into a Google Spreadsheet as well. See this image below of what Wave Connect looks like:
    image All you need to do is input the transactional information into a template that is generated through the add-on feature in Google sheets and it auto-populates right into your Wave account once you've validated the data.

• pravchawpravchaw Member Posts: 2

Is it possible to upload Bills from Vendors (purchases) or if not how do I structure a CSV to upload such data into wave.

• NicoletteBNicoletteB Member Posts: 122 ✭✭

@pravchaw At this point, we aren't able to do bulk uploads to Bills like Invoices but I love this idea! Will pass this onto our Product team as feedback so we can look at building this out in the future!

• SvPSvP Member Posts: 5

Wow. I was able to upload bank transactions through Google Sheets via Wave Connect.
    But why do I get an error message in the Google Sheet in each field under "Description" that the input is "Invalid: Input must be greater than -999999"?
    Those fields contain text.

Hey there @SvP

Interesting I just tried inputting some data into my test account and it seems to have uploaded text fine.

Are you able to share more about the description you're trying to upload? Are there numbers in the description? Any additional context might help us investigate this further. Thanks so much.

• SvPSvP Member Posts: 5

Hello Barsin,
    Thank you for your response.
    It was my fault. I copied more columns than needed from the .csv file. I deleted the fields in the Google Sheet and moved the remaining fields to the left. That caused the formatting error.
    When I Copy/Paste only the columns "Transaction Date", "Description" and "Amount" it works perfectly.
    Many thanks

• Nadine_ORENadine_ORE Member Posts: 1

Every bloody month this is a nightmare. Fix it wave or I am changing platforms!!! Never recognises the date.... despite following your explicit formatting instructions. Never brings debits and credits though correctly... just brings every single transaction through as a credit and then have to manually correct every single one which takes hours. Google sheets. does the same. Over it.

• JLaneJLane Member Posts: 1

Will this process work the same way if you download a .csv of PayPal transactions, or does it need to be a traditional bank statement?

Hey there @JLane

A lot of paypal users in Wave download their CSV's and upload it using this method :smile:
    Give it a try and if you're running into issues, remember that all CSV's from different institutions can be drastically different so Wave has a separate guide on What to do if Wave can't read your CSV format to ensure that your CSV document is slightly more universal!

• Patty_1Patty_1 Member Posts: 3

For 1 account the dates get imported in american format. The file is exactly the same as others that get imported correctly?!
    Both accounts are with the same bank??

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Patty_1 can you explain further please? Is the American format the format that you're trying to avoid and if so, what's the format that you're looking for? Examples would be great.

Also, is this for .csv file uploads or automatic bank imports?

Hi @AlexL
    Thanks for your response. I've uploaded files from different bank accounts with the same bank. I need the date in dd/mm/yyyy format (that's what's in the upload file) but 1 upload converts the date to mm/dd/yyyy, so I have to manually correct all these transaction dates. I'm using .csv files. The other file import correctly. This file has debit transactions and the incorrect one has credit - that's the only difference I can see.

Hey @Patty_1! Unfortunately, this would be something that you would need to continue to correct in order for them to upload successfully. I would suggest reaching out to your bank if the files that you are downloading from them continue to have the incorrect date format.

Hi @ConnorM . You misunderstood - the issue isn't with the import file - it's with the import process! The file has the correct date format (dd/mm/yyyy) - the import process swaps the month and day so 1 February gets imported as 2 January !!

• EstelaEstela Member Posts: 1

Hi there!
    I didn't use to have issues, but at the moment I am trying to upload the csv file for a whole month (obviously) and it is only uploading the first few transactions (in fact the only first 8 lines). I have had to split the file and do it in two different uploads and it worked. But now I am trying to do the same for the next month and it's not working.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Estela

edited July 6, 2020