Upload a bank or credit card statement in .csv format

Comments

• SkafteSkafte Member Posts: 34

I still can't upload CSV files that are exported using Tide's "Wave formatted CSV export" function. @JamieD asked me to DM him with a copy of the CSV file, which I did, but then he went quiet... :*

• GeorginablockGeorginablock Member Posts: 1

REALLY struggling with wave. Ive lost several hours of my life I wont get back.

I have done everything I can to get my CSV to upload. If you know this is an issue (and has been since 2018- can I ask why its not being looked at?

I also tried the google ad on - however it would only let me import my transactions as cash on hand!?

• PartnerPartner Member Posts: 2

I totally understand everyone's frustration with this issue. I am experiencing the same problem. BUT, can we blame waweapps? Most of their features are FREE. They probably have limited resources and probably use them to help the needs of their paid subscribers.
    My problem started with first losing my bank connections.....then not being able to upload csv files...and things are not getting fixed fast enough....i think i am ready to go to an alternative platform at this point in order to continue running my business more efficiently.
    If waveapps were to create a paid subscription at a reasonable price, and focus on improving their platform much faster, than i will have stayed with them.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

@Skafte I let Jamie know that you DM'd him!

@Georginablock The .csv uploader is incredibly finnicky and requires very specific formatting or it doesn't import by the way. Did you receive an error message when trying to import? Also, Wave Connect should be allowing you to select any Cash & Bank account that you have created in your Chart of Accounts. Please make sure that you're accessing Wave Connect through Google Chrome or Firefox.

• nampara17nampara17 Member Posts: 6

You said (Help doc) that there is a 'template' for CSV files to be used? Where is this please.

--- update 20191001 ---

Found it from a comment about having difficulties.

Actually will probably have to move away from wave as it no longer connects to bank accounts in the UK. This was one huge time saver and along with the 'OLD' way of reconciling transactions was really the main reason to use it (FREE or NOT! for all those constantly saying that 'it is free what do you expect').

I actually expect it to support what it used to do so well - Free or Not. Happy to pay a small fee to use the software - but this is all crying over spilt milk.

Will struggle on... for a bit.

edited October 1, 2019
  • Paul_CloudBookPaul_CloudBook Member Posts: 3

@Georginablock The .csv uploader is incredibly finnicky and requires very specific formatting or it doesn't import by the way. Did you receive an error message when trying to import? Also, Wave Connect should be allowing you to select any Cash & Bank account that you have created in your Chart of Accounts. Please make sure that you're accessing Wave Connect through Google Chrome or Firefox.

This month's CSV file upload worked fine today. The last few month's CSV files wouldn't upload and there's nothing different in the formatting. Before these past few months it worked fine for years. As well as being finnicky, the CSV uploader has recently become temperamental.

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @nampara17! Thanks for reaching out! You can access the template in this Wave guide: What to do if Wave can't read your statement. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you should see 'CSV import template'. There are lots of other tips for uploading statements in this guide as well!

Hi @Paul_CloudBook! Are you getting any specific errors when you are uploading a CSV file? We recently had a small group of users who were being hit with an 'Unsupported file type, please try again' error, even if the file type was supported. While we investigate what is causing this, we found that most people had success after some network troubleshooting. I have included the steps that helped below:

1. If you're using a VPN, try disabling it for the upload.
    2. Power-cycle your modem and/or router. A great article that walks you through how to do this, and why it helps is available here.
    3. Make sure that your browser is compatible with Wave and up to date. You can read about compatible browsers here.
    4. Disable any antivirus software when attempting the upload, or try adding waveapps.com to your antivirus whitelist.

Hope this helps!

edited October 4, 2019
  • wlamgawlamga Member Posts: 1

hi i am not able to up upload my documents credit card statement

Hi @wlamga . What issues are you running into? Feel free to elaborate.

• dpegconsultsdpegconsults Member Posts: 4

Since Wave is not longer connecting with banks outside USA - will Wave be introducing uploading of QIF files?

Cheers
    Dianne NZD

CSV is not pulling though sufficient information to match payments. Really need the description to be a combination of Other Party, Reference and Code

Hi @dpegconsults . Wave won't be introducing any new file types to our bank statement uploader. Can you expand on the uploader not pulling through sufficient information? Is there info listed in your .csv file that is being skipped? Let me know.

My banks have four descriptive columns - Other parties, type, reference and code. Currently, to make the csv information input meaningful I need to write a formula to combine all four fields.

One field is not sufficient to match payments.

Cheers
    Dianne

• BMABMA Member Posts: 0

I have recently had my wave account migrated to the new interface, I uploaded my statement as normal and although my balance has updated, none of the transactions have appeared. This means that I can't reconcile as none of the transactions are there for me to reconcile against?!

Anyone else had this experience?

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @BMA

I've merged your conversation into this thread about uploading CSV statements for some potential insight into what others users might be struggling with. Check out the help center article on What to do if you can't upload your CSV statement

A lot of times this just requires reformatting it, or re-downloading it then trying again on a different network. Some specific networks, ad-blockers, firewalls or anti-virus programs can stop the import from connecting. Let us know if you have any luck!

• Karen_MKaren_M Member Posts: 3

Hi Wave - my UK bank account stopped connecting on Dec 16 2019 :( I just followed this process but I can't select the 'credit amount' column on my .csv. I can only select 'debit amount', so all those transactions got imported as income, not expenditure. I can't bulk edit their type on the transactions screen, the only option is to edit them all individually. There was nothing in the credit amount column for the period so I tried editing the .csv with zeros in the credit column, but I still can't choose it. I've done this before and it was totally fine - is there something I can do differently or is it time to accept Wave won't work for me any more because of open banking? Sad times!

• Justin_TP1Justin_TP1 Member Posts: 1

Not sure why bank accounts were removed in the first place?
    can you explain why?
    this severely reduces the usefulness of Wave
    Why not charge a small monthly fee to have bank connections

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Karen_M! This is definitely a tricky one! Have you compared your current CSV with the CSV you were previously able to upload? Any differences there?

@Justin_TP1 We have a community thread here where my team has broken down the reasoning behind this change, that may be useful to you.

• NintuNintu Member Posts: 4

Dear Wave, I keep getting the "Wave is having difficulty reading the dates of your transactions" message and even when I try other options am still having NO SUCCESS. Wave is no longer speaking to my bank either.

• JHRED1JHRED1 Member Posts: 17

@Nintu said:

Dear Wave, I keep getting the "Wave is having difficulty reading the dates of your transactions" message and even when I try other options am still having NO SUCCESS. Wave is no longer speaking to my bank either.

Try saving your file as a (MS DOS) CSV file. I had this exact same issue, did this and it worked. No idea why.

• RocRoc Member Posts: 7

body is now longer than 6 characters

edited January 30, 2020
  • JHRED1JHRED1 Member Posts: 17

@Karen_M said:
    Hi Wave - my UK bank account stopped connecting on Dec 16 2019 :( I just followed this process but I can't select the 'credit amount' column on my .csv. I can only select 'debit amount', so all those transactions got imported as income, not expenditure. I can't bulk edit their type on the transactions screen, the only option is to edit them all individually. There was nothing in the credit amount column for the period so I tried editing the .csv with zeros in the credit column, but I still can't choose it. I've done this before and it was totally fine - is there something I can do differently or is it time to accept Wave won't work for me any more because of open banking? Sad times!

Wave has 3 columns for importing so you need 3 columns for importing which means you need to combine your "Credit" and "Debit" columns; pain in the butt..? Yep!

Here's how I do it. (THIS IS FOR EXCEL)

By the way,I'm just telling you how I do it, I accept no liability if it doesn't work for you or things go wrong. Hopefully this will give you some pointers and inspiration.

First I turn the DEBITS into negative numbers, to do this I:

1) type "-1" in a cell that's not part of my data .

2) Select the cell with -1 in it and copy it (Ctrl+C or Right click and select copy from the menu or I use the "Copy" button in the top left of the Menu Ribbon) - the cell gets the moving border

3) Select all the Debit amounts. I do this by either: clicking on the column letter at the top, or starting at the first cell with data click and drag my mouse cursor down, or select the first cell cell with data and holding down shift use my cursor down arrow to the go to the last cell with data.

4) Use "Paste Special" (right click the highlighted column and select "Paste Special" from the context menu or use the button in the top left of the Menu Ribbon)

5) In the dialogue box that pops up I select "Multiply" and click "OK"

Ta Dah - all Debits are now negative, I usually have some zeros too.

Now I combine my "Credit" and "Debit" columns:

I make a new column called "AMOUNT" (or something similar)
    For the sake of this example "C"= Credit column and "D"= Debit column and you'll make "E" the "AMOUNT" column.

I then type this formula in Cell E2 (E1 has the label AMOUNT in it)

=IF(D2<0,D2,C2)

For me Credits and Debits don't share the same row. What this is telling Excel is that if the number in the debit column is less than zero then put that number here, otherwise put the number that is in the Credit column in here.

I then drag this formula all the way down the E column to the last line (row) of data.

This gives me a column with the positive and negative numbers in it from the two Debit and Credit columns but the numbers are actually formulas so I have to copy and past them in number/text format so I:
    1) Select all data in the "AMOUNT" column.
    2) Right click the highlighted data and select "Copy"
    3) Right click the highlighted data again but this time under "Paste Options" I select the clip board icon that has "123" in the corner, it's usually the second one along.
    They are no longer Formulas, but are numbers.

Finally I delete unwanted columns, including the original Debit and Credit columns, or I might merge the ones I want to keep into one column (I call it "DESCRIPTION ").

To merge 2 or more columns I use this formula in an empty column =A2&" "&B2&" "&F2... etc. The letter/numbers are the cells I want to merge, & is what it is and the speech brackets tell excel that the bit between is text, in this case a space. I then do the paste as number thing explained above to convert it from a formula into text.

I'm left with 3 columns: DATE, DESCRIPTION and AMOUNT.

DATE: what it has always been
    DESCRIPTION: My merged or remaining transaction info
    AMOUNT: The merged and formatted positive and negative numbers from the Credits and Debits columns.

I can then upload this to Wave, if its not being a temperamental pain in the butt.

Final point, I changed banks because Wave didn't support direct connection with my previous bank and doing all the above was a pain, I'm back to square one now but Wave is a brilliant app and really easy and straight forward to use. Bank interconnection is not a deal breaker for me, was just a lovely added bonus whilst it lasted.

edited January 30, 2020
  • ZoeZoe Member Posts: 1

What about Paypal Fees? I want to account for those too.

@Zoe said:
    What about Paypal Fees? I want to account for those too.

Mine imported for a brief time but they no longer do, along with the bank account.

@JHRED1 said:

@Karen_M said:

Wave has 3 columns for importing so you need 3 columns for importing which means you need to combine your "Credit" and "Debit" columns; pain in the butt..? Yep!

Here's how I do it. (THIS IS FOR EXCEL)

By the way,I'm just telling you how I do it, I accept no liability if it doesn't work for you or things go wrong. Hopefully this will give you some pointers and inspiration.

First I turn the DEBITS into negative numbers, to do this I:

1) type "-1" in a cell that's not part of my data .

2) Select the cell with -1 in it and copy it (Ctrl+C or Right click and select copy from the menu or I use the "Copy" button in the top left of the Menu Ribbon) - the cell gets the moving border

3) Select all the Debit amounts. I do this by either: clicking on the column letter at the top, or starting at the first cell with data click and drag my mouse cursor down, or select the first cell cell with data and holding down shift use my cursor down arrow to the go to the last cell with data.

4) Use "Paste Special" (right click the highlighted column and select "Paste Special" from the context menu or use the button in the top left of the Menu Ribbon)

5) In the dialogue box that pops up I select "Multiply" and click "OK"

Ta Dah - all Debits are now negative, I usually have some zeros too.

Now I combine my "Credit" and "Debit" columns:

I make a new column called "AMOUNT" (or something similar)
    For the sake of this example "C"= Credit column and "D"= Debit column and you'll make "E" the "AMOUNT" column.

I then type this formula in Cell E2 (E1 has the label AMOUNT in it)

=IF(D2<0,D2,C2)

For me Credits and Debits don't share the same row. What this is telling Excel is that if the number in the debit column is less than zero then put that number here, otherwise put the number that is in the Credit column in here.

I then drag this formula all the way down the E column to the last line (row) of data.

This gives me a column with the positive and negative numbers in it from the two Debit and Credit columns but the numbers are actually formulas so I have to copy and past them in number/text format so I:
    1) Select all data in the "AMOUNT" column.
    2) Right click the highlighted data and select "Copy"
    3) Right click the highlighted data again but this time under "Paste Options" I select the clip board icon that has "123" in the corner, it's usually the second one along.
    They are no longer Formulas, but are numbers.

Finally I delete unwanted columns, including the original Debit and Credit columns, or I might merge the ones I want to keep into one column (I call it "DESCRIPTION ").

To merge 2 or more columns I use this formula in an empty column =A2&" "&B2&" "&F2... etc. The letter/numbers are the cells I want to merge, & is what it is and the speech brackets tell excel that the bit between is text, in this case a space. I then do the paste as number thing explained above to convert it from a formula into text.

I'm left with 3 columns: DATE, DESCRIPTION and AMOUNT.

DATE: what it has always been
    DESCRIPTION: My merged or remaining transaction info
    AMOUNT: The merged and formatted positive and negative numbers from the Credits and Debits columns.

I can then upload this to Wave, if its not being a temperamental pain in the butt.

Final point, I changed banks because Wave didn't support direct connection with my previous bank and doing all the above was a pain, I'm back to square one now but Wave is a brilliant app and really easy and straight forward to use. Bank interconnection is not a deal breaker for me, was just a lovely added bonus whilst it lasted.

Thank you so much! Brilliantly detailed response :)

• Br1sbaneWebnDigBr1sbaneWebnDig Member Posts: 1

I get to the screen where it says, "Click on the column containing the amounts of the charges you made to this account", but all columns except Bank Account are Greyed out, so I can't select the Charges column to continue.

• NoraJNoraJ Member Posts: 1

I downloaded my bank's transactions in CSV format, and after trial and error, I created a WAVE compatible CSV file. Then I carefully followed "How to upload .CSV transaction statements" . Only 7 transactions out of more than 10 transactions were uploaded! How do I upload the entire CSV file? Uploading 7 transactions at a time is very laborious!

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @Br1sbaneWebnDig! Sorry to hear you're having issues with the upload. Are you able to share a screenshot of what you are viewing when you get this error? It will give us a better idea of what might be going on.

Hey @NoraJ! The CSV upload usually works best when uploading anywhere between 1-100 rows. If it is not uploading all your transactions it will usually state an error as to why it did not upload all of them. If you are having trouble with this I highly recommend using Wave Connect for uploading! It is a great tool to use.

Hey @JHRED1! Thanks so much for sharing this detailed description of how you upload CSV files. It is really helpful for other users to reference! I know it is not ideal so this is something we can takeaway to improve on.

As an alternative we always recommend trying out Wave Connect if you are having trouble with the CSV uploader.

• tribucontractingtribucontracting Member Posts: 1

is there a reason why all my transactions are going in a credits and not debits, I am having to go and manually change them to withdrawals and then categorize them even though that information exists in the csv file?

• GarthHoriganGarthHorigan Member Posts: 3

When i try to upload my CSV file, I am not being directed to a CSV import page. Instead I get a "We've encountered an unexpected error" message. (Error code 500) I thought this page was going to provide me with a template for CSVs but I cannot find it here.