All about automatically categorizing transactions

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageAll about automatically categorizing transactions

Oops! Looks like this content is meant for a different version of our accounting application. Head back to the Help Centre home page to search another topic or check out the related articles on the...

Read the full story here

edited December 2, 2018 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• Clare_Palmer71Clare_Palmer71 Member Posts: 1

It would be really useful if it were possible to add a category yourself, e.g. for an expense which you make frequently, which does not fit the pre-existing categories. As an artist, one of my major expenses is "Materials", which are not at all "Office Supplies". Currently there is no category for this. Many thanks.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @Clare_Palmer71, you can add these custom categories/accounts by clicking Accounting > Chart of Accounts > Add a new account. Select an Expense account, title it Materials, and you're all set!

• springdalerocksspringdalerocks Member Posts: 13

I was just advised in a WAVE message that every receipt from a local big box store in the future will be categorized as my most recent purchase was categorized. No thanks, but it appears there is no way to opt out of that massive presumption. We know about assuming -- it's time we taught robots.

Any big box store carries a variety of merchandise and offers services as well, and the automatic assumption based a single transaction often will be incorrect, BUT seems like one must be alert to the possibility -- one cannot quickly display the miscategorized items as one could if they were left uncategorized. A COSTCO receipt can be plants, food, medical expenses, office equipment, etc. Same with Walmart - prescriptions, food, plants, household goods, office paper.

I would like to have a choice when the prompt comes up advising me that every future expenses from this vendor will be categorized the same henceforth-- "Do you want WAVE to categorize all receipts from this vendor as X? Or leave them uncategorized?" It bothers me essentially to be advised that automation is creating a treacherous mistake that can result in accounting errors if I don't spot them and a longer correction process since I must discover these charges in existing legitimate categories-- whereas I more easily can isolate and account for uncategorized expenses.

Or am I missing something?

• icefeatherwindicefeatherwind Member Posts: 7

I have two accounts in Wave (one Savings and one Credit Card). My bank account import brought in two transactions, where I'd transferred $50 from Savings to Credit Card. It shows as +$50 against the Credit Card and -$50 from the Savings. How do I tell Wave that this is the "same transaction"? I tried classifying the -$50 as a transfer to the Credit Card but Wave just added a second instance of the +$50 to the list (thus showing my income as $100 not $50).

• jacquesjacques Member Posts: 1

How does one switch off the automatic categorisation? It drives me insane and actually waste a lot of my time?

• spaceymomspaceymom Member Posts: 1

We found 2 other transactions like this one. Do you wish to review and categorize these?Review 2 transactions The more transactions you categorize, the better our categorization suggestions. Learn more.
    How can this message be turned off? It comes up almost every transaction that is entered and is driving me crazy to have to exit out of it every time to continue.

• janderson34janderson34 Member Posts: 1

Please for the love of god give me an easy way to turn this off! Super annoying to have to close this window over and over and over again when trying to focus on reconciliation.

• DisturbedDisturbed Member Posts: 1

+1
    "Please for the love of god give me an easy way to turn this off! Super annoying to have to close this window over and over and over again when trying to focus on reconciliation.
    January 21, 2019"

"How does one switch off the automatic categorisation? It drives me insane and actually waste a lot of my time?
    January 11, 2019"

"I was just advised in a WAVE message that every receipt from a local big box store in the future will be categorized as my most recent purchase was categorized. No thanks, but it appears there is no way to opt out of that massive presumption..."

• NSPro44NSPro44 Member Posts: 2

Here is my experience with the new auto-categorization dialog box nightmare: https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/2312/improvements-to-automatic-categorization#latest

• harold649harold649 Member Posts: 2

My work flow is seriously compromised. Please enable this function to be disabled! PLEASE!

• ktlktl Member Posts: 11

can we disable the pop up message we get every time we enter a transaction? It's incredibly obtrusive and annoying.

• LegionpostLegionpost Member Posts: 3

This does not work on any transaction no matter how many entries are repeated exactly alike

• LegionpostLegionpost Member Posts: 3

and that stupid pop up box comes up for no reason since it doesn't work to categorize repeated transactions.

• vannemicvannemic Member Posts: 9

It would also be great if it could do this for imported receipts too!

• LADLAD Member Posts: 2

The annoying popup box that does nothing is only one major issue with this upgrade. The workflow process completely changed, reports and drilldowns create new windows, end of year reconciliations have now been massively complicated, and our electronic connection to our bank was broken so now transaction has to be maually entered. Other than that, nice job upgrading an accounting system at fiscal and calendar year end. This really helps us figure out taxes and balances - NOT!

• CliftonClifton Member Posts: 19 ✭✭

I am not referring to the auto-category assignment. I am referring to the pop-up that is shown in Accounting / Transactions, that wants you to review other transactions. I do not wish to review and categorize x other transactions. I do not want to see the following pop up that asks if I want to review 29 other transactions like this one.

1. Every and I will specific, all 29 other transactions have a category assigned and are marked reviewed.
    2. I do not want to review a transaction already marked reviewed. I do not want to be reminded by this popup to review them again.
    3. I do not want to assign a category to transactions that already have a category assigned. I do not want to be reminded by this popup to review them again.
    4. I do not want to see this popup at all. It is annoying. It is in the way. I spend two clicks to close something that should not be opened.

Please turn this off, or provide a configuration setting to allow me to turn this off.

• mariannemarianne Member Posts: 2

Please allow us the ability to turn off automatic transactions and the pop up. For me, it's most often incorrect, and the automatic assignment increases my chances of incorrectly assigning transactions.

To make sure the people at Wave know what we do not like and is very annoying.

Is anyone at Wave listening? This pop up is annoying in the extreme!

• clc7clc7 Member Posts: 4

Like many of those who have commented before me, I would like a way to disable automatic categorization. I want everything to come in as uncategorized and I want to categorize each item myself. Please.

I'm guessing that disabling this must be complicated on the back end . Otherwise it would have been implemented already based on how obviously unpopular it is.

• ManiMani Member Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

@Clifton and others, yes we are listening. We'll be looking at ways to improve this for you in the near future, and we'll be incorporating your feedback to make it more delightful and not frustrating. The intent is to help your business, not slow it down, so we appreciate you taking the time to let us know we're not meeting the mark quite yet.

• SandraKWSandraKW Member Posts: 7

I don't have a bank connection. I categorize everything manually. Why does it keep prompting me to about other transactions that are similar to this and do I want to review them? I don't!!! How do I turn off this annoying feature?

• MarlyTagzMarlyTagz Member Posts: 4

My regular accounts via my bank statement are not automaticallly categorising.
    Like bank fees, insurance, mortgage.... I have to categorise them each month
    How do I get them to auto categorise?

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@MarlyTagz the auto-cat tool works if you have your bank connected in the Banking > Bank Connections page, but it won't recognize these transactions if you're directly uploading your statement (which it sounds like you are, although please correct me if I'm wrong).

@SandraKW if you don't have a connection set up, then you shouldn't have these suggestions popping up. Would you be able to share a screenshot so I can make sure we're on the same page? Thanks!

• MarlyTagzMarlyTagz Member Posts: 4

@Ryan_W Thanks for getting back to me. My bank account is connected to wave. I have two business profiles and a personal profile on wave and I have four bank accounts. Perhaps I haven't linked them correctly, although the correct statement is coming up when I click on a particular profile to work on...

I don't have a bank connection set up either and am getting these annoying pop ups. It has nothing to do with that. We need an option to disable this feature

When can we expect to see a disabling feature for these pop ups?

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@MarlyTagz On the Bank Connections tab itself, you should be able to click on the actual account that is listed as importing into Wave (select the pencil editing icon) and from there, you would see where the bank accounts are importing to (whether it's your personal or business account) -- the auto-cat feature should work as expected if the transactions are similar in nature.

@ktl Could you please confirm, with a screenshot exactly what you are seeing on your transactions page in terms of auto-categorization? If you don't have a bank connection in Wave, this feature should not work (please also get a screenshot with the URL showing so we can do some investigating on our side).

Here's a screen shot