How to set up an invoice reminder

Comments

• FiwaveuserFiwaveuser Member Posts: 2

I turned this (god awful) feature off and it still sent two reminders to my client in the last few days- we are on a net 30 agreement-this is damaging- how do you make sure it doesn't send anymore??? I have turned the feature off in settings

• GoodbutcouldbebetterGoodbutcouldbebetter Member Posts: 1

My account setting were changed to OFF for the reminders and my customers are still getting the emails. Since I am not the only one with this problem you clearly need to fix it. I don't need anymore calls from clients upset about the nagging emails.

• SharaWAPSharaWAP Member Posts: 1

I set my "reminders" to OFF several days ago when a client contacted me with the news that they had received a payment reminder for an invoice they had JUST RECEIVED--& they are on Net 30 terms. I just received another message TODAY from the same client letting me know that they JUST received the SAME REMINDER AGAIN. I have spent the past 2 days contacting other clients to let them know what had happened & that the reminders were sent by mistake--a mistake that MY COMPANY did not intentionally make. I DO NOT want reminders set to my account--& I took the appropriate measures to change this in my settings. I need to know that this will NOT HAPPEN AGAIN--if this issue is not resolved ASAP, I will be terminating my account. This is a dangerous situation for my client relations & I need assurance that this issue will be taken care of IMMEDIATELY.

• SPCTVSPCTV Member Posts: 1

We use your service for internal billing for a municipal department, working on a tally system. Your reminder "feature" just sent "reminders" to every department head in the city I work for. WORST FEATURE EVER, PLEASE DELETE.

• Scotty_ChabertScotty_Chabert Member Posts: 1

It seems this new feature was rolled out and assumed we would want it turned on. I never had reminders before and didn't realize I had them until customers started receiving them. Many had paid already but it wasn't posted yet. So they got a reminder for something they already paid which looks unprofessional. I turned the feature off a week and a half ago and it's still sending them. So does turning it off not work? Does turning it off only work for invoices created after it was turned off? I just sent 175 invoices out so yeah it's a big problem and one I didn't ask for. The feature should have been rolled out in the off position so we had the choice to turn it on. Can this be turned off on my account now for all past invoices sent?

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey folks!

First just want to apologize about any confusion for this feature. We sent out email comms regarding this update and it may not have been made clear.

The default setting only affects invoices that are unsent
    i.e. if an invoice already exists and has not been sent/marked sent, flipping the default switch won't touch its reminder settings

We don't touch the reminders for an invoice that is already sent/marked sent
    i.e. if an invoice already exists and has been sent/marked sent, flipping the default switch won't touch its reminder settings

Please open your old invoices and turn off these notifications from the invoice verification page!

edited January 28, 2020
  • jkbwritesjkbwrites Member Posts: 1

I have unchecked the box indicating that reminders will be sent to my clients for unpaid invoices. Still, my clients continue to receive these notices -- particularly a client who always pays me promptly, which makes this especially embarrassing (on top of making me look disorganized and unprofessional). Please address this awful feature. It never should have been made the default setting.

• This_Needs_FixedThis_Needs_Fixed Member Posts: 1

I have unchecked the box in my settings for reminders to be sent to clients for unpaid invoices and yet, I am still having to uncheck these boxes when I create a new invoice. Then, I opened an invoice today that I had created and sent last week (and made sure that I had unchecked the reminders), and the 14 day notice was turned back on!! There is an admin post here that says "We don't touch the reminders for an invoice that is already sent/marked sent" but that is not what happened on this invoice. This needs addressed. And now.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @jkbwrites + @This_Needs_Fixed . If you have sent an invoice with the reminders ON, and navigated to Settings to turn the default settings OFF, the invoice that you have already sent will respect its individual settings as changes in the software don't affect things done retroactively. This means that any new invoices created after the default settings were changed will in-fact no longer have the reminder options on.

• NewWaverNewWaver Member Posts: 1

There does not appear to be a Reminder Settings option in Settings/Invoice Customisation.

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @NewWaver! The setting will look like this if it has been enabled for your account:

• TimRTimR Member Posts: 2

Can you view the date when a manual reminder is sent?

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @TimR! Thanks for reaching out! If you head to: Sales -> Invoices and click into the invoice in question, you can see how many reminders have been sent and when the last one was sent. However, this will not show if the reminder was sent automatically or manually.

• WilburcatWilburcat Member Posts: 1

Is this feature only enabled for selected accounts? When is the full rollout expected, and will this feature be defaulted as off upon rollout to avoid issues some other users are experiencing? Thanks.

• DanielsSewingRepairDanielsSewingRepair Member Posts: 1
    What a terrible update. My customers, which always pay on time, are getting bombarded with past due emails and the only way to change it is to go to each invoice individually and change the settings!!! I don’t want this feature. You say you can’t change sent invoices, but that’s exactly what you did. I have never had these reminders on in the past, but suddenly hundreds of customers are getting overdue notices. Very unprofessional!
  • ILPILP Member Posts: 8

I'm going to add my vote of displeasure to those of the previous commenters that this feature should have been rolled out differently.

1) We should have been told changes were coming so we could fix our settings BEFORE customers received unintended reminders. (I do see in a previous comment from an admin a reference to "email comms" that were supposedly sent out, but I've checked my email and I don't see any information about this new setting.)

2) The default should be to have reminders "off" so that no unintended reminders go out.

Automatic reminders can be helpful, but it should be up to the business owner whether they are sent (individually or in general) - not a default setting that was turned on without warning.

Also, where can we view/edit the content of the reminders?

• RA_T2WRA_T2W Member Posts: 1

How do we edit or set the reminder text so it is how we would like it rather than default?

• SS_WritingSS_Writing Member Posts: 1

I'm so glad I'm not the only one utterly confused (and embarrassed) by this update. A few weeks ago my clients starting reaching out to me with comments like, "I'm so sorry, I thought I paid that invoice," and then they spent the time to dig up and send me check numbers and dates. I was so confused because I had no idea this feature was rolling out. It should have been rolled out with a default of off, not on! Wave, please don't do something like this again. It's a mess for client relationships...I got Wave for it to make my life easier, not harder!

• DavenirDavenir Member Posts: 13

Up until recently customer statements and invoice reminders were only sent manually. Recently however I'm hearing from my clients that they have received statement emails that we have non manually sent. If this is the case, it is new behaviour and I'd like to know how we can disable it.

Many of our projects are long-term and I don't want to hassle trusted clients with statements or invoice reminders unless I chose to do so.

• CultureGapCultureGap Member Posts: 15

I just discovered that happened to one of my clients too! It's very embarrassing and highly unprofessional. I think that WAVE is doing this without even letting us know nor without our consent, because as a free platform, the only way they make money is when customers pay via credit card, so it's like they're hassling our customers, hoping some will pay that way. I'm now removing email addresses from all customer accounts to prevent this unauthorized harassment of my clients.

• CultureGapCultureGap Member Posts: 15

I also asked the Help bot, and it said to go to Settings -> Invoice Customization -> Reminder settings to turn automatic reminders off. Is this setting new because I don't remember my customers ever getting automatic reminders.

Wave support have just confirmed the following with me:

"Our team has recently made upgrades to our system that defaults the invoice reminders to ON. If you'd like to turn these off for future invoices head to Settings > Invoice Customization > Turn the global ON/OFF control here.
    This will only affect new invoices created. For invoices that are still pending, please open up the invoice verification page and turn these reminders OFF manually on each invoice."

Apart from being a hugely sneaky move on Wave's part the option to remove this is actually missing for me in "Invoice Customization".

edited February 25, 2020

@NewWaver said:
    There does not appear to be a Reminder Settings option in Settings/Invoice Customisation.

I am so angry about this update and the disrespectful manner of its rollout. How dare Wave insert itself into the delicate business of deciding who and when to push for payment.
    To make matters worse - I am one of the people whose clients are receiving notifications and I too don't have the ability to disable them in "Settings/Invoice Customisation".

This is unacceptable. Please enable the ability to disable these notifications for all accounts immediately and stop using our client relationships for your product R&D.

• Tammy_19Tammy_19 Member Posts: 1

i am adding my comment to the automatic "friendly reminder" feature. We have some long term repeat clients that always have rolling invoices in the system. They have started to receive these reminders daily because of the quantity of invoices they have. It is embarrassing for everyone involved, our office staff looks like they are mistakenly sending reminders and aren't aware of the customer's situation and the customers are stressing that we are pestering them for money. The inability to disable this feature is completely unacceptable. Please change this feature immediately!!!

• GilsMarineEngineGilsMarineEngine Member Posts: 3

Please disable the auto reminders immediately. We are a thriving boat repair shop and our customers are insulted and enraged at our apparent "insensitivity" to their needs and it appears we are overly aggressive in collecting on our invoices. It is embarrassing to us and time consuming to contact every customer and apologize to them. We have always manually sent reminders as we like our customers and try to work with them and whatever situation they have. I have followed the Wave instructions several times to disable the settings but it keeps happening repeatedly.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Thank you for the time you've taken to write in with regards to your experience around the invoice reminders in Wave. These invoice reminders were turned on, with the idea that it would help business owners like yourselves to better collect monies owed to them on outstanding invoices. When the feature was rolled out, what we could have made clearer is that the reminders were turned on by default. Furthermore, if you navigate to Settings > Invoice Customization, and turned off those reminders globally (with the checkbox screenshotted in a comment above), it would not retroactively affect invoices that had already been sent to your customers. What this has resulted in is confusion en masse, and we do apologize for that. I'm certain that, as long as that checkbox is unticked in the Invoice Customization page, we will see this feature disabled for each of you moving forwards. For invoices that have been sent already, you will need to navigate to the invoice itself, from Sales > Invoices, click into the sending options within, and turn them off manually. I do apologize for the inconvenience this caused and for the headaches that have abounded. If any of you have further questions, please let me know here.

• WappererWapperer Member Posts: 7
    I would love this feature actually as I create all my invoices on the iOS app and there is no way to set reminders - but alas I don’t have the option in invoice customisation. How about you let someone (me) test the feature who actually wants it? ;)
  • CATCHPeteCATCHPete Member Posts: 1

WTF!! Turn this feature off immediately!! Under NO circumstances is Wave authorized to send late reminders to ANY of my clients!! On ANY invoice! These badgering notices with the obnoxious red "OVERDUE" stamps were sent to a large group of our clients this week, and I've had to spend the better part of my workday contacting each of my clients to apologize and explain to them why this happened. This is entirely inappropriate and unprofessional on your part. I need you to cease and desist from sending ANY future correspondences to my clients on my behalf!!

Now, I'm told that I, not Wave, need to go into each individual invoice that has already been sent, and disable it?? NOT happy!

• KrissKriss Member Posts: 2

hey.i wold like to know how many reminders been send to costumer.where i find this info? also i must create credit note for unpaid invoice.i cant simple just delete invoice... my acc said i must make credit note for unpain money or inv this will cover me from any issue from tax man..cheers

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@Kriss You can actually navigate to the invoice itself and you should see the cadence at which the reminders would be sent out. They would be sent out based off of the number of days past the invoice due date.

In terms of Credit Notes, Wave does not currently have this feature. In order to have your voice heard, I would recommend leaving your thoughts about why this is a must have for your business in this ongoing thread.