Wave Connect: Easily import and export data with Wave's Google Sheets add-on

Comments

• DenDen Member Posts: 1

Hi, Nothing happens after the upload transaction action is activated!!!!!!

• Xerouser12345Xerouser12345 Member Posts: 2

I am in my clients account as an editor. When I try to export the client list, it says I cannot export from Personal, but there doesnt seem to be a way to change the company. In the settings menu, i do not have an export. Can I not do this with an editor user?

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @Den

Are you a collaborator on the account or are you the verified email address? Can you check whether you've verified your email by selecting the business name at the top of your Wave account > Manage your profile > Emails and connected accounts > Then make sure you've sent yourself a verification email. We've noticed some people are having difficulties uploading from non-verified or secondary account users.

A lot of the time, this can be fixed by tweaking some things in your internet browser. Wave supports the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. We'd also recommend that you try using Wave with browser extensions disabled. If you have Chrome, try opening up an incognito window, logging into your Wave account, and try again (or if you have Firefox, open a private browsing window).

If that doesn't work, you may also need to clear your cache and cookies. You can read more about the browsers we support, and how to troubleshoot issues for your individual browser HERE. If you are still having problems or if you have any other questions, please get in touch.

@Xerouser12345

I would try to get an admin status. Editor are usually far more limited in what they can achieve using our third party integrations.

• honghong Member Posts: 11

Hoping that WAVE CONNECT can pull a "live" figure from Wave without export.

With that, we can build a customized financial "dashboard" in Google Sheets with important relevant figures to our needs.

For example, to show the balance of a particular account under liabilities.

• NoemiNoemi Member Posts: 1

Is anyone able to tell me if we can upload the invoice from google sheet now? I have been trying for a couple of weeks. Wondering if It's worth it to use or not??

• emmegiemmegi Member Posts: 8

Can you add the ability to make Wave Connect show reports from the 'Personal' accounting section instead of just the Business?

• JohnRobertsJohnRoberts Member Posts: 2

I want to use Wave Connect to upload invoices but this is still failing to import despite the validation succeeding. Is there no further news on when this will be fixed?

Hey @hong @JohnRoberts

I would check out this discussion on API Integrations and Wave Schedule Uploads for more information on this. Or you can jump into discussions here!

Hi @Noemi

I apologize that you've been one of the users affected by a bug that is stopping you from using Wave connect properly! Our team is aware of the issue and hoping to set a fix soon. If you reach out to our team via ticket https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/requests/new they'd have a lot more insight into your account and can easily access data we may not have eyes on in the community. They'd also be able to link your issue to bug escalated ticket for our internal developers.

@emmegi

Unfortunately Wave connect is only available for your business' reports, and not the personal account. My apologies that we won't be making this integration in the future. This is something we tried to implement but the API is slightly different when communicating with the Business account in Wave and the personal.

• BreeBree Member Posts: 6

Would it be possible to create an upload sheet for old bills and other expenses you want to add. I am trying to add past years to wave and in the past a spread sheet was used to track bills, is there a way we can use wave connect and google sheets to be able to bulk upload expenses instead of sitting there and adding them one by one in the bill section?

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @Bree! Thanks for reaching out here! I can definitely see how this would be useful in your situation! Trying to enter all your previous years data into Wave can be a big job. At this stage we don't have this in the works, but it is a great feature idea!

• EamonGEamonG Member Posts: 1

HI,
    I have had a brief play with the reporting functionality and it is looking good. Is their anything in the development plans to release the trial balance as an option to download?
    Thanks - Eamon

• IvyIvy Member Posts: 7

If I only want to upload bank transactions in csv format do I need Wave connect? I don't use Wave to upload customers, products, invoices, and bulk journal entries. I hope Wave reconsiders the withdrawal of Bank connections feature from Jan 1, 2020 since that's my primary reason for using for Wave. I am from India.

• millerhandcmillerhandc Member Posts: 2

Thank you so much for adding this feature! I was really dreading uploading 100 invoices 1 by 1 and figured I would be stuck doing it that. This saved me hours of work. Good move guys.

I do have a couple notes after using it for the first time.

@Noemi said:
    Is anyone able to tell me if we can upload the invoice from google sheet now? I have been trying for a couple of weeks. Wondering if It's worth it to use or not??

@JohnRoberts said:
    Are there still issues with the wave connect invoice upload? I'm trying to import invoices, at first I was trying to do several hundred, then saw a message to keep it under 100, but even doing 10 and despite the data validating, i just get the blue dots when attempting an import. I really want to migrate over to Wave but this is holding me back.

When I was trying to bulk upload the invoices, at first it would only make one invoice at a time, and the other lines would just be added as "items" on the first invoice.

By accident, I figured out that if you INSERT A BLANK LINE between each invoice line on the sheet, it would actually validate them all and upload in bulk, correctly. Maybe this is intentional and I just missed the instructions somewhere, or maybe it's a bug. I don't know, but I'm hoping maybe it will help, since it worked for me.

John, I also ran into the blue dots issue at one point, when I had my column labels mixed up. The got mixed up when I added a column to the sheet, and the drop-down arrow for selecting the customer was in the wrong place. So if adding a line doesn't work for you, try double checking all the your column headers or any other small things that could throw off the validation.

Good luck.

edited November 5, 2019

Hey @Ivy

You don't need Wave connect if you plan on using the CSV uploader. This is just an alternative method to uploading and downloading data from your account, but that can be done by using the CSV uploader, or Settings > Data export. I apologize that your bank connection will likely be turned off by the new year given your location :(
    It's a great shame that we had to switch providers. I hope you still see the value of using our free software with alternative uploading methods.

@millerhandc

Wow thanks so much for offering your insight and for this helpful workaround to our customers. We are noticing another fix that might work for some new users who created their accounts around August of 2018;

When creating the invoice upload sheet, select the following additional / optional fields, and consider them mandatory:

• Invoice Date
    • Due Date
    • Currency
    • Invoice Number Label

The only one that should not be intuitive to complete is Invoice Number Label. This is simply the ‘name’ of the invoice document, usually just “Invoice”. The above applies only to customers whose upload is hanging.

Hopefully some folks are able to get a bit more progress with these tips.

• PaulCPaulC Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Hey @EamonG,

@EamonG said:
    HI,
    I have had a brief play with the reporting functionality and it is looking good. Is their anything in the development plans to release the trial balance as an option to download?
    Thanks - Eamon

The answer is "yes". This feature will be added during November.
    Cheers, Paul

Update on the issue that some customers have been experiencing with Invoice Uploads:

We have determined the cause of this issue, which affects newer Wave customers, and customers whose Invoicing has been migrated to the latest version of our invoicing software. (There are no visible changes resulting from migration, but getting everyone onto the new version will enable us to release planned new features.) We are preparing a fix, which will be deployed during this month.

To provide some more detail, the issue is that the APIs in our previous version allowed four fields to be omitted and would supply defaults according to your invoice template rules. The new version makes those fields 'required', and fails if they are missing. Wave Connect allows those fields to be omitted, which is why an upload sheet without those fields could Validate successfully (old rules), but would fail on Upload (new rules).

If you are encountering this issue, you can make your upload work successfully, as @BarsinA, mentioned yesterday, by adding and filling the required fields. Create a new sheet and start with 'Step 1: Prepare Input Sheet'. Select the following 'Optional / Special Fields', and click 'Prepare Input Sheet':

• Invoice Date
    • Due Date
    • Currency
    • Invoice Number Label

Provided you fill all these fields, your upload will then work as expected. ('Invoice Number Label' is simply what you call your invoice, i.e. the title - most commonly just "Invoice"!)

We apologize for the inconvenience that this issue has caused, and look forward to being able to announce it is resolved shortly.

@Noemi @JohnRoberts @kbxyz @Asijamanish @glauncher

edited November 14, 2019
  • DanielGTDanielGT Member Posts: 9

Hello @BarsinA and @PaulC
    I´ve just tried your recommendation, about the extra columns to be added, when uploading invoices, but didn´t work for me, the process is still hanging, please let me know if there is something else I can try while you guys deliver the final fix.

thanks.
    PD. I´ve mentioned in my original post, that I was able to upload a couple of batches of invoices without problem, and on my third attempt, everything stop working.

New Version - Fixes and Features

An update to Wave Connect has been released, with the following changes:

1. Fix to ensure that uploaded Transaction dates are correct whatever your timezone.
    2. Fix to address invoice upload issues on the latest version of Wave invoicing.
    3. New Trial Balance Report download.

Thanks for your patience, everyone who has encountered Invoice Upload issues, as we worked to identify the source of the problem and implement a resolution.

edited November 20, 2019
  • WALLIDATOOWALLIDATOO Member Posts: 2

@PaulC I have been uploading invoices directly using WaveConnect and it has truly been a god send. However just today when I went to do it all I get is an error "FAILURE: Invoice did not upload." Normally it identifies the issues i.e. invoice already exists or product doesn't exist etc. I have validated the data and it's all green. I've added the Currency and Invoice Label column as I've read from this and other posts and tried and nothing seems to work. I have successfully downloaded invoice data and uploaded products also so the connection between WAVE and the WAVE connect seems to be working. I even tried with less 3 decimal places and Integers to see if that was tripping it up. But no dice, as they say. Any ideas on what could be causing the issues? Your assistance is appreciated.

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @WALLIDATOO! Thanks for reaching out! I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying Wave Connect. The team have let me know that there was a small update released for Wave Connect last week that may have had an impact on the overall workflow. Some changes have been made today, are you able to try again? If still view an error, do you mind taking a screenshot of this? We can investigate further if needed!

• AndersAnders Member Posts: 1

So this is a really cool feature, I am using zapier to grab my time tracking software time stamps. It takes the details and puts them in a google spread sheet and does some calculations for my hours to get some rounding my hours to the nearest quarter. Anyways I am going to take that spreadsheet and start populating a wave upload invoice template. However when I was testing a invoice upload manual if I wanted to upload the same invoice twice. IE I updated my invoice I get the error "ERROR: Invoice Number already exists in Wave. This invoice will be skipped" Is there a way to update a invoice if it has the same invoice number and customer? Otherwise I have to manually update the invoice and slows down some of my automation. And the wave connection in zapier doesn't work because there is no update invoice feature and I can only add one item to an invoice. Ok thanks

Hi @Anders,

This sounds like a great use of Zapier + Wave Connect to automate billing tracked time. However, we do not have the ability to update invoices via Wave Connect, and I don't expect we will add this feature.

The question I have is, are you able - instead of needing to update your invoices for each new time record - to simply accumulate your time data in Google Sheets until you have all the time for an invoice, then run the upload.

Provided you sort your spreadsheet data by customer, to get all the time records together, this will give you ready-to-send invoices with multiple lines of time charge applicable to each customer.

Hope this helps, Paul

• CTowleCTowle Member Posts: 1

Can you update information? We uploaded products, but now need to add pricing to about 600 different items. Any way to do that through Wave Connect?

Hey there @CTowle

Since you've uploaded and validated the date you wouldn't be able to update it from Wave connect, not without re-uploading it.

You would have to update it from your Wave account under the Products and Services section.

Wave connect exists as a tool to import the products into Wave, but once they've been imported they exist your Wave account as a separate data entry.

• WALLIDATOOWALLIDATOO Member Posts: 2

@EmmaP said:
    Hey @WALLIDATOO! Thanks for reaching out! I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying Wave Connect. The team have let me know that there was a small update released for Wave Connect last week that may have had an impact on the overall workflow. Some changes have been made today, are you able to try again? If still view an error, do you mind taking a screenshot of this? We can investigate further if needed!

Thanks Emma and excuse my tardy reply. I was travelling so didn't have time to check. We did a test yesterday and everything is working now...Hooray! :-)

• murphystoutmurphystout Member Posts: 1

Trying to bulk upload transactions from paypal. Would make sense for there to be a category to upload so i don't have to click 10,000 categories manually. Also paypal deals with multiple currencies, so I have a handful of transactions that are in GBP or EU, but the sheet doesn't allow to specify the currency, so all the amounts will come in as USD, and be incorrect. Paypal integration works but only with the last few months, for some reason. This whole thing was supposed to make my taxes easier but it's becoming a manual job, I'll just do it in spreadsheets, will be much easier.
    Also why is it impossible to sign in to the support site with my regular wave credentials?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @murphystout . Thanks for the feedback on the categories. Because your currencies in Wave are based on the account themselves, they'll automatically import into your PayPal account as the currency that it's based in (assuming it's in USD). This is why Wave Connect doesn't offer the ability to choose a currency.

In PayPal, when a foreign currency hits your account, does it automatically translate to USD? Or does it remain in the foreign currency?

What's the issue you're seeing when trying to log into the support site, and which page exactly are you accessing?

• JudeJude Member Posts: 10

i got this error message while try to conned: This action is not supported while logged into multiple accounts in the same domain or multiple consumer accounts. Please log out and try again.

Please advice how this can be resolved?

• JudeJude Member Posts: 10

i got this error message while try to conned: This action is not supported while logged into multiple accounts in the same domain or multiple consumer accounts. Please log out and try again.

Please advice how this can be resolved?

• jstalljstall Member Posts: 1

When will you integrate with ebay directly? I cannot get the spreadsheet to validate no matter what I do. I'm not asking for many items to be transferred I just want to keep records of my sales for taxes. I cancelled godaddy because they couldn't connect with my bank but integrated directly with ebay. Your company connects with my bank but not ebay without spending a ton of money on zapier for the volume I do. Any suggestions or am I missing something?