Wave Connect: Easily import and export data with Wave's Google Sheets add-on

Comments

• Just_LurkingJust_Lurking Member Posts: 31 ✭✭

Uploaded a number of transactions just now and the date created in Wave is one day prior (-1 day) to the date in the spreadsheet. Skimming through the comments, I see this was a bug from a few months ago that was supposed to have been fixed. Looks like the bug may have returned. I'm in US Central time, FWIW.

• cgaraicgarai Member Posts: 17

Since my bank is not syncing with Wave at the moment, this is an essential work around. One problem I'm having is that I can't get Sheets to log into different user logins. I got around it by using a different browser: original login on Firefox. Second login on Edge. If I needed a third it would be Chrome. If I needed a 4t??

The sidebar has "Signed In as:" but it shows blank in Firefox. It shows the proper account name in Edge. Logging out gives me a blue button to "Connect Your Wave Account" but it does nothing.

Am I doing something wrong?

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @jstall

Just curious if you've checked out the Zapier Integration we have? Not sure if it'll achieve what you're looking for regarding pulling in transactions but it might help. Otherwise I don't have an ETA for this my apologies.

• talbottswtalbottsw Member Posts: 1

Why does Wave Connect start a new invoice when it sees a new customer? Wouldn't it make more sense to start a new invoice when the invoice number changes? I am migrating from a different system and trying to upload hundreds of invoices all to the same customer. Since you guys start a new invoice based on the customer name, all the invoices get loaded to Wave as a single invoice.

• PaulCPaulC Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

@talbottsw Thanks for sharing how you are using Wave Connect to upload invoices from another system - and welcome to Wave!

As you say, Wave Connect looks for changes in Customer to know when to add a new invoice. This works for the way we most commonly see Wave customers using Wave Connect - uploading daily or weekly to send out invoices and get paid. In this case, the upload is normally invoices for a variety of customers. In your case, you'll need to let Wave Connect know where to break invoices, by inserting a blank row where you want each invoice to end.

If you have a lot of invoices, here are the steps that I would use to quickly insert the blank rows:

1. Insert 2 blank columns at the left of your data table (Col A and Col B )
    2. Select the whole of the column that has your Invoice Numbers. Copy it, and paste it onto Col A.
    3. In Cell A1, change the column heading to "InvNo2" (or "Derek", or whatever you like!)
    4. Go to another page (tab) in your spreadsheet, and paste the invoice numbers in again.
    5. On the new page, select the column of pasted Invoice Numbers. From the Sheets menu, select Data > Remove Duplicates.
    6. You now have a column with 1 instance of each invoice number. Copy these invoice numbers, and paste them back on your original data sheet, in Col A, directly below the last row of data.
    7. In Cell B1, type "Seq" as the heading of Col B.
    8. Fill the rows of Column B with a number sequence from 1 thru whatever number fills all the rows including all the additional rows where you have added the unique invoice numbers at the bottom of Col A. You can do this by entering the first 2 numbers (1 and 2) and then dragging down to fill.
    9. Select the whole of your data table, all the way to the bottom of Column A, and across all the columns of invoice data.
    10. From the Sheets menu, select Data > Sort Range. Select the 'Data has header row', then select "InvNo2" (AKA "Derek") as your first sort key, and "Seq" as your second sort key. (Click "Add another sort column" to get a second sort key.) Click the "Sort" button.

You will now have all your data sorted by invoice number and sequence, which will have the effect of positioning the added Invoice Number row that you created in Step 6 at the end of each block of rows for that invoice. Finally, go ahead and delete Columns A and B, and you will be back to your original invoice data table, with a blank row inserted after every invoice as defined by your entered invoice numbers. If you run Wave Connect's "Verify" step, you'll see it breaks on the blank rows, and you can upload your invoices as you intend.

Hope that helps. Paul

• John_NSWJohn_NSW Member Posts: 1
    Can you use this feature to create new account codes in bulk?

I want to copy a chart of accounts from one wave user to another user
  • BaderBader Member Posts: 3

Hi PaulC,

Am having an issue with updating multiple transactions into wave, as the type of business that am working at requires to upload "Cash on delivery" COD for customer names and amounts on a daily basis, whenever am uploading the invoices it keeps on creating a new copy of the invoice instead of updating the invoice for the same customer.

Can you please help me in this?

Many thanks

@PaulC said:
    @talbottsw Thanks for sharing how you are using Wave Connect to upload invoices from another system - and welcome to Wave!

As you say, Wave Connect looks for changes in Customer to know when to add a new invoice. This works for the way we most commonly see Wave customers using Wave Connect - uploading daily or weekly to send out invoices and get paid. In this case, the upload is normally invoices for a variety of customers. In your case, you'll need to let Wave Connect know where to break invoices, by inserting a blank row where you want each invoice to end.

If you have a lot of invoices, here are the steps that I would use to quickly insert the blank rows:

1. Insert 2 blank columns at the left of your data table (Col A and Col B )
    2. Select the whole of the column that has your Invoice Numbers. Copy it, and paste it onto Col A.
    3. In Cell A1, change the column heading to "InvNo2" (or "Derek", or whatever you like!)
    4. Go to another page (tab) in your spreadsheet, and paste the invoice numbers in again.
    5. On the new page, select the column of pasted Invoice Numbers. From the Sheets menu, select Data > Remove Duplicates.
    6. You now have a column with 1 instance of each invoice number. Copy these invoice numbers, and paste them back on your original data sheet, in Col A, directly below the last row of data.
    7. In Cell B1, type "Seq" as the heading of Col B.
    8. Fill the rows of Column B with a number sequence from 1 thru whatever number fills all the rows including all the additional rows where you have added the unique invoice numbers at the bottom of Col A. You can do this by entering the first 2 numbers (1 and 2) and then dragging down to fill.
    9. Select the whole of your data table, all the way to the bottom of Column A, and across all the columns of invoice data.
    10. From the Sheets menu, select Data > Sort Range. Select the 'Data has header row', then select "InvNo2" (AKA "Derek") as your first sort key, and "Seq" as your second sort key. (Click "Add another sort column" to get a second sort key.) Click the "Sort" button.

You will now have all your data sorted by invoice number and sequence, which will have the effect of positioning the added Invoice Number row that you created in Step 6 at the end of each block of rows for that invoice. Finally, go ahead and delete Columns A and B, and you will be back to your original invoice data table, with a blank row inserted after every invoice as defined by your entered invoice numbers. If you run Wave Connect's "Verify" step, you'll see it breaks on the blank rows, and you can upload your invoices as you intend.

Hope that helps. Paul

• PaulCPaulC Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

@John_NSW Wave Connect does not upload Accounts. An "Account Cloner" between Wave businesses is a good idea, however. That is something we can look into.

@Bader Wave Connect is designed to upload Invoices; you are basically asking to edit existing invoices. This is not something I would expect us to do within this tool.

I have seen one Wave user with a similar need - they wanted to tack on line items to a monthly invoice throughout the month, and then send it out at month-end. Their solution was simply to add the line items in the Google Sheet until they were ready to send the invoice, then upload and send immediately. Would that work for you?

• YvonneUKYvonneUK Member Posts: 2

using Wave Connect on Google Sheets, 505 of 716 bank transactions loaded successfully - an hour later no more transactions have loaded and it's still spinning in 'loading' mode. Is there a maximum no. of transactions that can be uploaded in one run?

• rmsprsrmsprs Member Posts: 1

A great feature but how do I ensure that the records aren't getting uploaded twice. I am using this feature to record bank transactions but I every time I upload the data the app uploads every item on the list leading to duplication. Is there a way to exclude the transactions that have already been synced?

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @YvonneUK! As far as I know there isn't a 'max' number, but we usually recommend breaking down files into rows of 100 lines for the best results if possible!

Hey @rmsprs! What process are you using to upload your data currently? When uploading a sheet with Wave Connect do you have data in there that you have previously uploaded? If so, removing these lines would be the best option to ensure you are not uploading duplicates. If you are doing it differently, I'd love to hear your process!

• jjserinajjserina Member Posts: 2

Having a couple issues with Wave Connect.
    I downloaded customer records from Quickbooks online and built a Sheet in Google. I linked Wave Connect, validated the data and started the upload. It ran for 24 hours. I thought it was frozen so I restarted it. It uploaded about a quarter of the records, twice. I don't see a way to do a mass delete so I manually deleted the duplicates. I have tried several times to upload the balance of the customers and have had no success. I've tried with as many as 500 records and as few as 5 records and none of them upload. The blue box that says 'Upload Customer' grays out and the 3 little blue boxes blink for as long as I let them. I've let it blink for as long as 12 hours and nothing uploads. I'm considering deleting this company and starting over if that's my only option. Can you advise if there's some way to get my customers uploaded.

• ZahnaZahna Member Posts: 2

Any way to upload my account transactions from one wave account into a new wave account? Not bank transactions but the (all account) transactions from wave reports.

• keviraukevirau Member Posts: 9

Wave Connect with Google Sheets has not been working for days...... data not exporting into Google Sheets

• JamminJamesJamminJames Member Posts: 5

How can we migrate customer data OUT of Wave to another credit card merchant company we work with?

• SuesowaveSuesowave Member Posts: 2

I have same problem

@kevirau said:
    Wave Connect with Google Sheets has not been working for days...... data not exporting into Google Sheets

• jjserinajjserina Member Posts: 2

Update of my post from 2/26. I was anxious to get my new company going so I manually deleted the first upload (1 at a time) and recreated the Google Sheet with only the 400 of so customers I felt I needed. The upload took more than 14 hours but less than 24. I now have a working subset of my customers in Wave. Wave Connect works, you just need to exercise a great deal of patience. It would be helpful if there was some sort of progress bar or indicator so we knew if the upload was still progressing.

edited March 8, 2020
  • ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Thank you for your input here, and we definitely appreciate your patience. As @jjserina has mentioned, Wave Connect can take a good while to export your data, depending on how much there is to process. JJ, we definitely appreciate your patience, and keeping this thread updated.

@JamminJames What kind of data were you looking to migrate out? Wave Connect should still be able to export most information for you, though things like their credit card information would not be able to be exported, for security reasons.

• JamminJamesJamminJames Member Posts: 5

Yeah, won't work for me, I do need to migrate the c.c. data. The other merchant has a secure method of doing this, which Wave would have to participate in. However, I got in touch with Wave Support, and they refuse to do it. Other companies do, it's quite secure, so that's disappointing.

• LlamaDramaLlamaDrama Member Posts: 2

Hi there, neat feature! Is there anyway to assign journal entries? I'm trying to use this to import sales data from Amazon, and I'd like to update my Inventory Asset and COGS together. Thanks!

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey @LlamaDrama interesting question! It sounds like you are looking to effect multiple accounts in one entry, which is possible by adding more lines within it, provided that the debits and credits balance each other out. When you refer to "Assigning" a journal entry, are you able to expand on what you mean by this?

• LlamaDramaLlamaDrama Member Posts: 2

Hey @JordanD! Really appreciate the quick response! You guys are awesome.

Basically, I have a bunch of transactions from Amazon that I'd like to import. In the end, I might have $100 ad spend, $400 in sales, and $30 in COGS.

• The $100 for ads is easy! I'd just record the expense in the advertising account. The cost will be reflected in my bank transactions.
    • The $400 is tricky! I need to credit the inventory account and debit sales.
    • The $30 is COGS is similarly tricky, I need to credit the inventory account and debit COGS.

Currently, there's now way for me to import a journal transaction. Moreover, I can't assign a transaction to a category. For example, the ad spend would just appear as an uncategorized expense. It would be great if there was a way to assign categories in the upload.

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @LlamaDrama! Using Wave Connect you should have the ability to upload Journal Transactions in bulk, if that is something you are looking to do. I agree that it would be great to have the added ability of uploading transactions with a category assigned and would certainly save time. Hopefully this is something we are able to implement in the future!

• yeeyen_hanyeeyen_han Member Posts: 2

How can I start with create the Chart of account?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @yeeyen_han! I'm not sure I understand your question, could you try asking it in another way? Your Chart of Accounts can be found from within the Accounting tab on the left hand side of your Wave account. Wave Connect would not be able to create accounts for you from the Google Sheets extension.

• HervéHervé Member Posts: 4

Hello,

Wave Connect looks very promising! As a long term user of Wave (November 2011), and being in the EU, bank connections dropped are a big pain now. So I have a spreadsheet to import every different bank account. Even for Paypal and Stripe, I need them, because Zapier is fine for sales, but not for fees and withdrawal (transfer from Paypal to Bank account) and funding (deposit to Paypal from credit card). Note: I use my Stripe account connected to Wave Invoice, and also for selling online directly on my website, not connected to Wave, so I need to upload all my Stripe transactions.

So I was expecting to get more automation by using Google Sheets and Wave Connect, instead of my own spreadsheets, exporting to .CSV, and to import into Wave. At least, it would save me two steps.

Now what is really missing, is the ability to affect for each transaction a Wave Category, a Sales Tax (VAT) for international trading. And maybe the ability to recognise Payment fees (Paypal, Stripe, and other payment processors).

Would you have a work around, or an ETA to have at least the Category and Sales Tax?

Kind regards,
    Hervé

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @Hervé

Glad to hear you're taking advantage of Wave connect! When it comes to Sales tax, even when you do have a successful bank connection in Wave, Wave does not attach a sales tax to your transaction, as each transaction can vary when it comes to what taxes may be applied to your transaction. For example in some countries, there are no sales tax on fundamental items like diapers or bread. You can however add sales tax in bulk in your account by using our Bulk Editor Tool or assign bulk categories to your transactions as well.

Currently we don't have an open customizable API for google connect at this time. But a lot of these actions can be achieved in bulk within your account for speedier bookkeeping!

• HervéHervé Member Posts: 4

Thank you Barsin for your reply!
    I do appreciate what you explained. I was using bank connection before the Open Banking API, and I am still using CSV imports. Howeve, I was expecting more features than the Upload a bank statement one.
    After testing a bit more Wave Connect, I found a few draws compare to the good old Upload a bank statement : in Wave Transactions, there is no mention of Source. When uploaded in CSV, we can see origin = Bank Statement.
    Using Zapier, the source is not mention either. So for me now, it is back to my own Spreadsheet with formulas: I add few markers for Sales tax, category, and then I can make a smart use of the Bulk Editor tool.
    Ultimately, to make this product awesome, we should have to use spreadsheet with formulas only in edge cases. A premium version with more Automation?? :D

Kind regards!

• CliftonClifton Member Posts: 19 ✭✭

Develop your own bank connections first! The WaveApp's weakest and most annoying defeciency is bank imports. Capital One does not import, Hancock Bank, does not import, Chase is two-three days behind with the 'new' integrator. STOP and fix what features you have that are broken! Please.

The bank connector company needs to add to their capacity to handle getting ALL transactions daily, not every couple of days. I don't care how good of a deal or whatever business-political decision was made, but when it doesn't work, free isn't even a good deal.

• DJCDJC Member Posts: 0

Wave Connect's feature (Add-Ons>Wave Connect>Download>Invoices>Data to Download>Invoice data and line items>Download) used to populate everything that was marked as "paid" -- now it's only importing that data point for about 20% of the invoices marked as paid. What I'm Anyone else having this issue?