How do I troubleshoot my bank connection?

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow do I troubleshoot my bank connection?

Oh no, it's a redirect message! This article applies to a different kind of bank connection. Read more about bank connections.

Bank connections are a great way to get data into Wave. Those buildi...

Read the full story here

edited January 25, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• JamrJamr Member Posts: 37

People LOVE waiting when dealing with accounting and getting their taxes done by the government mandated deadline!

• petespetes Member Posts: 21

The error code I get is not listed above, but it is pretty clear "Your bank's website is temporarily down for maintenance. Once you can successfully log into your online banking, try connecting in Wave. If you can access your online accounts and Wave is not connecting to your bank, visit our help center to investigate the problem." But I am able top log into the bank's online access. What's next?

• samberner80samberner80 Member Posts: 4

Hello, my error message when I tried to reconnect my bank was "There is a communication error between Wave and your bank. This is usually resolved within a few days. If the problem persists or you would like to be notified when it is fixed, visit our help center". I have not been able to connect for two months now. My bank is Wells River Savings Bank. Any ideas what might be happening? Thank you!

• LuckyBhumkarLuckyBhumkar Member Posts: 4

Thanks for info.
    1. Disabling old connection & re-adding as new connection worked for me.
    2. My bank is ICICI Bank (Corporate) India.
    3. Recently they changed username model (accountID.userID) to simple username model (visit net banking to opt new username style).
    4. Of course, ICICI bank changed in API style too. So, banking connection to ICICI Bank for WaveApp has stopped.
    5. Now you don't need to add Corporate ID so leave first text box blank. Just fill Login ID (not Corporate ID or User ID) along with Password in third text box.
    6. Done.! Once started this connection you can delete old connection without worry.
    7. Please note the last date of transaction for import purpose (to refrain from duplicate transactions.)

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@anilk2100 ^ that might be helpful for troubleshooting the connection with ICICI!

• anilk2100anilk2100 Member Posts: 4

@Ryan_W said:
    @anilk2100 ^ that might be helpful for troubleshooting the connection with ICICI!

Thanks Ryan, It did work for me too.

• ElindranythElindranyth Member Posts: 1

Wave keeps insisting that my login credentials are incorrect for both my checking account and my credit card account. I use LastPass to keep track of my passwords, and I have tried inputting my password via pasting directly from my LastPass vault and by manually keying in the password. I have even tried changing my password for my bank to a temporary short one that I could not mess up typing in and have had no success. I am able to log in to both of my accounts, I am able to connect to the accounts via Mint by Intuit, but I cannot connect them to my Wave account. My checking account is a Bank5 connect account and my credit card account is through Citibank. I have tried clearing my cache, I have tried using incognito through Chrome, and I have even tried using a secondary browser that I almost never use for anything.

• StevePierceStevePierce Member Posts: 5

I get the following message which isn't covered. "There is a technical issue between Wave and your bank. We're on the case. Attempt to update in a few days and if it persists, visit our help center to investigate." I have waited a few days and it still isn't working. This is happening on two different accounts to the same bank.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @StevePierce could you let me know which bank this is happening with? We can double check on our end to see if it's a known issue with our data provider and give you a better sense on timelines for a fix.

@Elindranyth FYI we're currently seeing some downtime with CitiBank at this time which may explain your issues if you're still seeing them!

• TrinityMediationsTrinityMediations Member Posts: 2

I am trying to connect my wave to First Bank of the Palm Beaches and have been unable to. The error message provided is "Wave is having difficulty communicating with your bank. Try connecting again in a few minutes. If this doesn't help, visit our help center to investigate the problem." This has been going on for months and I have never been able to connect since my bank first appeared as an option. Has anyone ever successfully connected? Any idea when this connection may actually work?

edited March 4, 2019
  • StevePierceStevePierce Member Posts: 5

Hey @Ryan_W,

It is Citizens Bank citizensbank.com

• KEGSKEGS Member Posts: 3

"Your bank's website is temporarily down for maintenance. Once you can successfully log into your online banking, try connecting in Wave. If you can access your online accounts and Wave is not connecting to your bank, visit our help center to investigate the problem." The bank site works fine, Wave does not connect. Its been 2 months and still not fixed- Now enter transactions by hand ? Wave is becoming useless if the problem is not fixed.

• thowardthoward Member Posts: 1

Oregon State CU is not working. (oregonstatecu.com) They haven't made any major website changes recently.

• RARE_SwanRARE_Swan Member Posts: 1

I've tried a number of times for the past 3 weeks to connect to BBVA Bancomer (Mexico), with no success. The error message is:

There is a communication error between Wave and your bank. This is usually resolved within a few days. If the problem persists or you would like to be notified when it is fixed, visit our help center

• CitrusBCitrusB Member Posts: 2

S&T bank is not connecting. I can log into my account outside of Wave just fine and the connection worked fine a last week.

• tzahicotzahico Member Posts: 6

Hello,

Trying to add a CitiBank account but getting 'Your bank needs you to review new Terms and Conditions. Log in to your online banking to review the terms. Try connecting to Wave again after you've accepted them.'

CitiBank support could not help. Is there any way to solve it?

• orgelquaelerorgelquaeler Member Posts: 1

L&N Federal Credit Union (LNFCU.com) has not been importing for over a week.

• asandman21asandman21 Member Posts: 1

I don't receive any errors. When I click Update it seems to work but no transactions have been imported since Oct 2, 2018

• WCSWCS Member Posts: 2

Country Club Bank connection has been down since February 11th. Deleted the connection and now it won't reconnect. Tried to find the "notify me when the connection is restored" but it's nowhere to be found. Right before tax time. Thanks a lot Wave.

• JK007JK007 Member Posts: 8

Hello---I'm having the same problem with Capital One bank. Was working fine for several months and I would get occasional errors that would fix themselves after a day or so, but now its been stuck asking me to edit credentials. I didn't change anything so the credential should be fine, but ...when I try to edit the credentials it can't load that screen and just keeps trying to load the screen (spinning icon). Suggestions?

• richytrumrichytrum Member Posts: 2

Last Wednesday my connections to HancockWhitney and Investar Bank suddenly stopped downloading transactions with this error message... "There is a technical issue between your bank and Wave. We're on the case. Attempt to update in a few days..." Is anyone else having this problem and any idea when it might be resolved?

• barbara56426barbara56426 Member Posts: 2

My connection to Emprise Bank also stopped working last week. I've deleted and tried to re-add the credentials but Wave can't find it. I can log into the bank just fine both on my desktop and mobile phone. I also can't find any place to ask for an email when the problem is connected.

• CitrusBCitrusB Member Posts: 2

It's been over a week not being able to connect to S&T bank. This renders your app useless. I think everyone would like to know when this will be resolved. A specific date not maybe a few days. If this cannot be clarified we will all find a new service with integrity.

• aclarkcustomsllcaclarkcustomsllc Member Posts: 5

i havent been able to connect to my bank in over a week (Bank Midwest (US). the error is
    Wave is having difficulty communicating with your bank. Try connecting again in a few minutes. If this doesn't help, visit our help center to investigate the problem.

• gabehigabehi Member Posts: 4

Problem with Bank of Hawaii for over a week....

• BladeBlade Member Posts: 6

Me too! Twice now. Once last summer 2018 and Feb 2019. I was off line from Feb 19 to March 4. Both times were for about 14 days. Then one day, just when I was about to give up, boom, boom. Transactions downloaded. I felt like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation when the lights came on. One thing, if you do manual entry, expect to have duplicate transactions. You will have to delete (I recommend your manual entries and leave the "real" bank transactions. I believe the problem lies with WAVE's third party that manages the magic allowing for our WAVE account to communicate with our bank. I think when our bank runs and update and the third party is not on their toes to adjust to the update, that causes the problem we are discussing here. Only after many days of failed attempts with errors logged in to the third party, does the third party know to fix a problem. Otherwise, it must be magic. I think this theory also is true as I would attempt 2-3 updates a day. Logging in for each attempt. Yeah, and that's a pain too. I still love WAVE. I get what I pay for - For FREE, Be brave and be patient.

• BladeBlade Member Posts: 6

Last thing, this year, I prayed. During the March 4th attempt to update, I repeated "come on baby, download, download", all the while the gizmo was turning. Guess that is why I think it is magic.

• CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hey @matthewmoody - if you're not able to see your comment any longer, it may be that it was captured by our automated spam filters or processes. This can happen if the same or a similar comment is posted in quick succession, in an effort to avoid duplication. Our team works as quickly as possible to address each comment where our assistance is required, so there is no need to post the same question across multiple threads. Comments that violate our guidelines or code of conduct may also be removed. I understand that issues of this nature are frustrating. We're committed to working through them with you.

@Blade @gabehi @aclarkcustomsllc @CitrusB and others - just to give you a little bit more insight: we do, as you've mentioned, work with a third party to facilitate - and then to troubleshoot - bank connections. You can find more information about our provider in our terms and a number of our Help Center articles.

Integration with your bank works by pulling the data through a read-only connection to import transactions for your accounting. Connections can be interrupted either purposefully or accidentally. Sometimes your bank may introduce things such as advertisements or new login pathways that will disrupt the connection. Other times, banks specifically block data aggregators in an effort to have you, their client, access your data only through their portal or use an affiliated service.

Depending on the cause of the issue, our data provider may be able to work to resolve it quickly, or they may have to take more time to understand the problem, and even if there is a way around it in the near term. They work consistently to monitor and resolve issues with and without our prompting, which is why you may see problems "magically" resolve themselves from time to time.

Part of the reason we offer imports using other methods is so we can get around issues even if they'll take some time, or we're not able to provide an ETA.

We're happy to take a deeper look into any problem connections. Please provide the type of account, the bank, and the URL you use to log in to online banking. Thanks!

• aclarkcustomsllcaclarkcustomsllc Member Posts: 5

@Charlotte said:

We're happy to take a deeper look into any problem connections. Please provide the type of account, the bank, and the URL you use to log in to online banking. Thanks!

Hello @charlotte,

the bank i use is Bank Midwest (https://www.bankmw.com/)
    it shows up as Bank Midwest (US) in Wave.

• CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hi again! Just as a follow up to my earlier comment, I've received some messages since, and I want to clarify that moving forward, it would be very helpful for any additional information regarding problem connections be addressed in this thread, versus in a private message. We should not need to collect anything sensitive for additional troubleshooting at this stage. If necessary, a member of our team can move the discussion to a private, 1-1 conversation (usually a support ticket). This is an effort to ensure you receive a response as soon as possible from the member of our team who is best equipped to help you. Private message inboxes in the forum are regularly highly trafficked with messages that aren't of an urgent nature and notifications are sent only to the owner of that inbox. Visibility is important for us to address issues quickly. Thank you.

edited March 14, 2019