How do I troubleshoot my bank connection?

Comments

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I apologize about the ongoing issues we are experiencing between our third-party bank connection, Wave, and individual banks. Unfortunately with bank connections, even with the best efforts of all parties involved, we can never guarantee with 100% certainty that specific connections can or will be totally functional. We work hard in conjunction with our banking partner to offer as many stable connections as possible, and neither we nor they want anyone to end up in the situation where their bank won’t connect. That being said, we try to provide viable alternatives for situations where a connection is temporarily or more permanently unavailable, such as the bank statement upload or our new integration with Google Sheets, Wave Connect

The instructions provided above are both our, and our customer’s, best options for troubleshooting bank connections. In situations in which a bank connection was previously successful, but has suddenly stopped importing transactions, or have imported those transactions incorrectly, there may be additional steps we can take to try and get the data errors fixed and the transactions coming through. If either of these situations pertain to your particular connection issue, please submit a ticket to our Support team here: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

By submitting a ticket, we are able to better gather information and track incidents for more thorough reporting to our data provider, in pursuit of fixing banking connection and data issues. That being said, even in these situations, we still cannot guarantee we or our banking data provider will be able to remedy the situation. To shed a little more light on the situation, providing bank connections is incredibly complex, as each financial institution will have it’s own internal infrastructure that our data provider then needs to translate into a universal format that can be uploaded into Wave accounts. In addition, banks frequently update their internal infrastructures and systems for security purposes. As such there can be a number of situations in which two or more infrastructures or data sets are or can become incompatible. Our data provider works diligently to remain compatible with their current institutions, as well as establish compatibility with those they don’t offer a connection for yet.

We are exploring ways to overcome these difficulties and connection issues, including clearer bank connection statuses which would allow users the ability to monitor the connection with their financial institution, as well as what percentage of users are currently experiencing a stable connection with said bank.

• gabehigabehi Member Posts: 4

This is great, thank you for the update. I'd like to understand if I temporarily start to import my bank transactions manually, and at some point, the connection works again, will that mean a rework from the time I was importing manually, or will Wave be able to understand duplicate entries and ignore them? This is the only thing that's keeping me from starting to import manually now....
    Thank you!

@Samd said:
    I apologize about the ongoing issues we are experiencing between our third-party bank connection, Wave, and individual banks. Unfortunately with bank connections, even with the best efforts of all parties involved, we can never guarantee with 100% certainty that specific connections can or will be totally functional. We work hard in conjunction with our banking partner to offer as many stable connections as possible, and neither we nor they want anyone to end up in the situation where their bank won’t connect. That being said, we try to provide viable alternatives for situations where a connection is temporarily or more permanently unavailable, such as the bank statement upload or our new integration with Google Sheets, Wave Connect

The instructions provided above are both our, and our customer’s, best options for troubleshooting bank connections. In situations in which a bank connection was previously successful, but has suddenly stopped importing transactions, or have imported those transactions incorrectly, there may be additional steps we can take to try and get the data errors fixed and the transactions coming through. If either of these situations pertain to your particular connection issue, please submit a ticket to our Support team here: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

By submitting a ticket, we are able to better gather information and track incidents for more thorough reporting to our data provider, in pursuit of fixing banking connection and data issues. That being said, even in these situations, we still cannot guarantee we or our banking data provider will be able to remedy the situation. To shed a little more light on the situation, providing bank connections is incredibly complex, as each financial institution will have it’s own internal infrastructure that our data provider then needs to translate into a universal format that can be uploaded into Wave accounts. In addition, banks frequently update their internal infrastructures and systems for security purposes. As such there can be a number of situations in which two or more infrastructures or data sets are or can become incompatible. Our data provider works diligently to remain compatible with their current institutions, as well as establish compatibility with those they don’t offer a connection for yet.

We are exploring ways to overcome these difficulties and connection issues, including clearer bank connection statuses which would allow users the ability to monitor the connection with their financial institution, as well as what percentage of users are currently experiencing a stable connection with said bank.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@gabehi Our software will be able to automatically detect whether or not there are duplicate transactions being imported into Wave -- however, just a bit of information.. the connection should only start importing from the date that it begins to properly work again. For example, if the connection hasn't worked since Feb 28th, but then begins to work on the 27th of March -- only transactions from the 27th of March onward should import into Wave. With that said, you should be able to go forward with importing your transactions manually.

• gabehigabehi Member Posts: 4
    Happy to report that Bank of Hawaii connections now work for me! So glad this got fixed, thank you Wave Team!
  • SoloAntSoloAnt Member Posts: 11

@SoloAnt said:

@SoloAnt said:
    Hi Team Wave, I was on a chat about a week ago and was told it's most likely and issue with my bank, which now it seems like this is an issue with Wave possibly. I was told I need to contact my bank to see if they've updated things on their end...I wouldn't consider putting the work on your customers to see if there is an issue on the banks end great customer service—but that's another issue—let's get the bank connections working first, please.

Can you see if you are having issues with https://www.firstbanks.com/ in California?

I haven't been able to connect with the bank in 2 weeks / 2 days.

Much appreciated,
    Sol

Along with my bank, I'm now getting this with my Capital One CC as well.

Any updates for have this resolved?

Thanks,
    Sol

It seems both First Bank and Capital One are now working for me. I'll keep checking over the next few days.

• pamgreerpamgreer Member Posts: 1

I'm not getting any errors for my First Tennessee Bank Account, it just stopped updating. It goes through the steps, shows it's verifying and connecting, but then nothing happens. It shows Last Updated 4 weeks ago, Update Now. Every week or so I try again to see if it's fixed. It's working for my business account at First Tennessee, but not my personal.

• CNDCND Member Posts: 1

My credit card's website implemented 2-factor authentication which was not allowing Wave to connect for a while. The connection itself seems to be fixed, except now Wave is reading the last 4 digits of my account number as the balance.

• barbara56426barbara56426 Member Posts: 2

My connection to Emprise Bank also stopped working last week. I've deleted and tried to re-add the credentials but Wave can't find it. I can log into the bank just fine both on my desktop and mobile phone. I also can't find any place to ask for an email when the problem is connected.

April 6, 2019 I'm up and running again. Hurray!

• LucyH65LucyH65 Member Posts: 2

TD Bank now uses 2-factor authentication. This appears to mean that I have to manually connect when I'm logged into Wave. The security questions are no longer used so should be optional in the connecting to bank dialog. I don;'t know what should happen about 2-factor authentication. What seems to happen, is that the code is sent to my phone when Wave tries to update, which is often not when I'm logged in. Then when I do login, I have to manually reconnect, and that doesn't always work. It appears once an update has been successful, Wave can contact for about a week before the 2-factor authentication code is required again. I don't have any suggestions other than to mark the connection as 2-factor and allow me to update when I login to Wave, supplying the code at that time. Is there a better way? I hope so, but can't think of any.

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@LucyH65 Looks look there is actually a thread already created for TD bank connection issues specifically. I have a feeling that posting in there would get you a better result seeing as all the users community members posting there are likely using TD. You can find that thread here: https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/comment/16066#Comment_16066

• mregenstmregenst Member Posts: 3

CIBC (Canada) 2 weeks trying & cannot connect. last week contacted your help desk & chatted...pleasant person...no follow up though...still cannot get a CIBC connection.... real BUMMER !!!

• KristianKristian Member Posts: 3

Same CIBC (CANADA) issue been down for 13 days, cant connect as of 04/28

• pbaronpbaron Member Posts: 7

Same CIBC (CANADA) issue been down for 13 days, can't connect as of 04/28. Is there any update on this??

• webwzrdwebwzrd Member Posts: 3

I use to be able to connect to Falcon National Bank, however last June (2018) the bank did a core conversion which changed the login URL from: https://www.falconnational.com/home.aspx to https://falconbank.onlinebank.com/SignIn.aspx.

I know this will be adjusted at some point, but your 3rd party bank vendor seems very slow to respond. I have submitted a support ticket and filled out the "Help us support your bank" popup numerous times. My bank tried to get a hold of Wave with no luck to help expedite this.

PLEASE, what can be done to get the connection back?

• dandersonchirodandersonchiro Member Posts: 2

Also having issues with CIBC with a similar time frame... Approx, 2 weeks

• ImpiraniImpirani Member Posts: 12

CIBC connection issues still not resolved. 2+ weeks and waiting during tax season...

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

@Impirani @dandersonchiro @pbaron @Kristian @mregenst the CIBC connection is looking like it should be fixed on May 3rd according to the ETA our bank aggregator has given us. Due to the complexity of the problem, they did initially have to push it back from the April 29th.

wow-thanks for the info (hope you are right)....

• Stew_Wilson72Stew_Wilson72 Member Posts: 3

everything was working with my bank connection until i changed my banking password, after using new password at wave, I get no response at all when trying to connect. Surely I should be getting some sort of an error message ?

• JonathanishakJonathanishak Member Posts: 1

Hey, any word on BMO issues?

• CarrieCarrie Member Posts: 2

I'm having issues with my BMO bank connection too. It has been 6 days. Do you have an ETA?

• dandersonchirodandersonchiro Member Posts: 2

Also any updates on CIBC? still seems to be down.....

• pbaronpbaron Member Posts: 7

@Samd CIBC still down. What is ETA for getting this fixed?? @Impirani @dandersonchiro @Kristian @mregenst

• tandetande Member Posts: 1

Ya, this CIBC issue has been going on too long now. I need my business account to be linked to my bookkeeping. ETA anyone? @Samd

• KristianKristian Member Posts: 3

@Impirani @dandersonchiro @Kristian @mregenst - If any of you have found a reasonable alternative, let me know, I do love wave, but my business has to start looking at what the options are as this issue continues....

Wave answered me today that CIBC (Canada) issue might last awhile yet...100% system down with CIBC

• xanderzxanderz Member Posts: 1

ditto. CIBC still down for me as well, my workaround is just to upload the statement manually for the time being until wave & cibc fix it from their end..

• alan_l_lovealan_l_love Member Posts: 2

Wave team, the connection to Truliant Federal Credit Union has been down for well over a month now (it may be closer to two months). Just wondering, is there any chance this will be resolved in the near future?

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, just wanted to chime in to confirm that both BMO and CIBC's respective site changes are leading to a current outage between their sites > our data aggregator > Wave. The ETAs have been shifting a lot over the course of the past week, so right now we'll have to sit tight while the connection issue is resolved. Once we see that the connection is up and running, we'll happily post an update in this thread.

@alan_l_love I'm not seeing any reported issues with Truliant; would you be able to share a screenshot/description of the error message you're getting when you try to connect?

• alan_l_lovealan_l_love Member Posts: 2

@ryan_w the message I see is "An attempt to communicate with your bank has timed out. Please re-enter your credentials and try updating/connecting again in a few minutes. visit our help center if the problem persists"