How do I troubleshoot my bank connection?

Comments

• lrosenmanlrosenman Member Posts: 6
    Ok, it finally came back, but now I may have to deal with duplicates on the personal side
  • ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @lrosenman, thanks for reaching out and thanks for letting us know your bank connection is reimporting. Wave does rely fully on a third party data aggregator to draw all of our connections. Typically when a connection is lost, what happens is that your bank has made some major updates to their website or their back end API. When this happens our third party banking aggregator loses the connection and may need to establish a new one. You can imagine with thousands of banks making these updates our third party aggregator has a bit of a difficult time keeping up.

In regards to the duplicates on your personal side, this can be dependant on the date that is chosen when you re-establish your connection. You will need to delete or merge all duplicates. I know this can feel quite manual, but hopefully it shouldn't take too long!

• circle4circle4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,
    I'm still getting this error message for First Republic after several weeks:
    There is a communication error between Wave and your bank. This is usually resolved within a few days.
    Appreciate any help!
  • GerryT_54GerryT_54 Member Posts: 3

BMO hasn't worked for over a week. Is it just me?
    There is a communication error between Wave and your bank. This is usually resolved within a few days. If the problem persists or you would like to be notified when it is fixed, visit our help center.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@circle4 In this case, I do feel as though it would be best if you filed a support ticket so our team can take a look at what could be possibly going on to help resolve your issue: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

@GerryT_54 There is still currently a known issue with BMO and 3rd party data provider -- they are giving us an ETA of June 7th to be a resolution, but this could also change since it's an tentative ETA.

• sirinmesirinme Member Posts: 8

UFCU still doesn't work. I can't add it back in. Keep getting the same error message as before. Very frustrating. It's been nearly a month and still no way to get it to work. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps noted above already...so, what gives?

@lrosenman I see that you were able to successfully add your account back. Would you mind giving the exact steps that worked for you? Thanks.

• circle4circle4 Member Posts: 2

Thanks @JamieD I think I just needed the good vibes from this help page. Finally the site worked today :)
    Thanks again

@JamieD said:
    @circle4 In this case, I do feel as though it would be best if you filed a support ticket so our team can take a look at what could be possibly going on to help resolve your issue: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

@GerryT_54 There is still currently a known issue with BMO and 3rd party data provider -- they are giving us an ETA of June 7th to be a resolution, but this could also change since it's an tentative ETA.

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@sirinme Which error message are you getting? Is it "There is a communication error between Wave and your bank. This is usually resolved within a few days"? If so, like Zoe said, when a connection is lost, what happens is that your bank has made some major updates to their website or their back end API. Then, our third party banking aggregator loses the connection and may need to establish a new one. Sometimes this can take a little longer than expected :(

In the meantime, manual bank statement uploads or importing transactions through Wave Connect are good alternatives to the bank connection feature!

• Jamie_ScottJamie_Scott Member Posts: 5

ANZ Personal banking in New Zealand appears to be out. I have needed to delete and reconnect my accounts, but thus far have not been able to do so. I have done every single step above to no avail.

• CJBACJBA Member Posts: 4

Getting the "There is a technical issue between Wave and your bank. We're on the case. Attempt to update in a few days and if it persists, visit our help center to investigate." error for Citibank in the US. Been 3+ days now ... is someone on the Wave side looking into this? You presumably have lots of customers with Citibank accounts ...

• sirinmesirinme Member Posts: 8

@ckeen_1244 Here's the error message I got just now:

"There is a technical issue between Wave and your bank. We're on the case. Attempt to update in a few days and if it persists, visit our help center to investigate."

This is actually a different message from what I used to see, about Wave having issues communicating with my bank, asking me to try again a little while later. Sometimes it would give me that message right after I submit the username and password, sometimes it happens after the 2FA code was entered.

As I mentioned in one of my posts, I called my bank to ask if anything changed at their end, and they said nothing did. So I don't know where the problem lies at this point. There was another user that had the same issue with UFCU, and looks like he was able to add the connection back in after initially deleting it. But I still can't add the connection back in.

I'm manually importing my transactions for now, but it's just frustrating there's no fix almost 6 weeks in.

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@CJBA @Jamie_Scott Our data aggregator is aware these connections fall out and these connections are always in review. Depending on the complexity of the issue, the timeline for repair varies. Wish I had more precise news!

@sirinme Totally get the frustration. Afraid it's a waiting game but luckily there are alternatives like manual uploads and Wave Connect to save the day!

• VanessaVanessa Member Posts: 3

After working through all the solutions outlined above, and a month of trying & waiting, I am still having issues connecting to AMP Bank. Is this a known issue?

• Jamie_ScottJamie_Scott Member Posts: 5
    Still issues connecting to ANZ New Zealand. I have deleted cookies, cleared cache, used incognito mode. Sometimes I get verification tiles, sometimes not. But either way, when I click on connect, nothing. This is going to be a real hassle if I have to do my August sales tax return manually.
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Jamie_Scott

So typically what happens is that your bank may make some major updates to their website or their back end API. When this happens our third party banking aggregator loses the connection and may need to establish a new one. You can imagine with thousands of banks making these updates our third party aggregator has a bit of a difficult time keeping up.

We have already sent the institution the need for an update, and are waiting on this to be fixed. At this present time I apologize I don't have an ETA for when that will be, but you should know that our team is working diligently to get this connection sorted out. If you haven't tried updating your connection again this week, I'd give it a try today and a couple of times throughout the week. Thanks for your patience.

edited June 17, 2019
  • timmyj75timmyj75 Member Posts: 2

I am getting the following error with PNC (for 3 days):
    "There is an error with your connection.
    Your bank's website appears to be experiencing technical difficulties. If you can successfully log in to your online banking, please try connecting or updating again in Wave. If the problem persists for 24 hours, please visit our help center."
    You probably know about it, but I thought I would post in case it was off the radar. Thanks!

edited June 18, 2019
  • danielcambrondanielcambron Member Posts: 2

I'm having the same issue as @timmyj75 with PNC. Started about 3 days ago. When will this be fixed?

@timmyj75 @danielcambron Right now, our data provider is currently reporting that there is a known technical issue with PNC. The tentative ETA for when this will be resolved is for June 19th (which is today) -- my assumption is that it will still be longer than this as the technical error is still listed on the data providers internal view that we have access to. With that being said, I would try to update the connection (later this evening) to see if it functions as expected there.. if it's still failing let us know so we can see what's happening on our data providers end.

• sageworkssageworks Member Posts: 1

Can't connect to TIAA bank. Initial connection. Tried 5 times. 2 days.

• timmyj75timmyj75 Member Posts: 2

@danielcambron @JamieD
    FYI, PNC is working again this morning.

Hey @sageworks. I think in your particular situation it would be best if you created a support ticket so that we can get to the bottom of what could be happening with your bank connection: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/requests/new -- if it's a situation where we would need to escalate further with our data provider, it's more visible via support ticket, and we can include screenshots, etc.

@timmyj75 Good to know! It's funny because our data provider is still reporting that PNC still has a technical error and the tentative fix is the 25th... so hopefully this stays working properly.

edited June 20, 2019
  • Grinder_01152Grinder_01152 Member Posts: 1

Using Standard Bank (South Africa) connection in wave ...
    When clicking "update now" ...
    Wave indicates "Connection updated successfully" ...
    But no transactions is being imported ... last update 3 days ago

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Grinder_01152 . We're currently investigating an issue that bank feeds are not updating regularly. We're working with our banking data provider to get to the bottom of it. Please check https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/5219/cannot-connect-bank-account#latest for further updates.

edited June 25, 2019
  • sood1992sood1992 Member Posts: 1

HDFC Bank India always says Wave is having difficulty communicating with your bank. Try connecting again in a few minutes. If this doesn't help, visit our help center to investigate the problem..

Tried clearing cookies, cache, private browsing. nothing works.

• Empre55Empre55 Member Posts: 5

My bank transactions are being pulled into my dashboard but not showing up in my transaction page - any idea how this can be solved?

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Empre55

There are a few reasons why this balance could be different. The first thing to note is that the actual bank balance showing on your Dashboard is a real-time balance which comes in from the bank connection tool. Meanwhile, the balance showing in the Transactions page is determined by how you're categorizing certain transactions. So, for example, if you input a random income transaction and assigned it to the same account, your balance in Transactions would reflect that; however, the balance displaying on the Dashboard would remain true to your actual bank account.

Typically what happens is that your bank may make some major updates to their website or their back end API. When this happens our third party banking aggregator loses the connection and may need to establish a new one. You can imagine with thousands of banks making these updates our third party aggregator has a bit of a difficult time keeping up.

With that being said let's see if a manual refresh might get your account running:

1. Click Banking > Bank Connections
    2. Find your bank in the list of connections
    3. Click "Edit Bank Credentials" and re-enter your login information for your bank account
    4. Save and update now.
    5. Repeat steps 2-4 about 3 times

Our users have had success with this. If not we will have to submit a report based on this connection.

Thanks @Barsin - I've completed the steps you suggested but unfortunately it's still not working.
    In saying that, yesterday 'some' transactions came through but not all of them. They've only come through to the end of June. There are multiple transactions for July which have not come through yet. Thanks for your help so far :)

Hey @Barsin - I've also edited and and restarted my importing from the banking page - still no difference. Please advise what I can try next - thanks

Hey @Empre55. In your specific case, I do feel as though it would be in your best interest to submit a support ticket: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/requests/new so that we can have more eyes on this/submit an internal service request up to our data provider to see if we can get this issue resolved.

• wwwKriswwwKris Member Posts: 3

@Barsin @JamieD I'm having the same issue as @Empre55. Transactions stopped at the end of May. Bank is CIBC. Dashboard doesn't indicate any errors and "Update Now" changes the "Last updated X minutes ago" message but no transactions come in. Tried the steps you indicated three times with no change.