[Dec. 1] Changes to Wave for users outside of the United States and Canada

Comments

• MiguelMiguel Member Posts: 2

Hi Wave Team
    Shame you have decided to do this to the customers outside US or Canada. I respect it, but I have a few things to consider before moving my DB to your suggestion Zoho Books:
    Zoho has quite a few limitations in terms of the number of contacts, records, and so on.
    Based on the previous:
    1 - I see that Wave users are allowed with a 1-year free plan. After 1 year free how the plan subscription will be handled? Based on what specs?
    How this will work for the ones that will decide to migrate? Wave has no limits so far (at least that I know of), and that is a great asset for Wave users.
    With all the respect but there are other solutions much better than Zoho and much more flexible for Wave users. Anyways, the best solution would be and agreeing with @Moses_Eneojo ...I prefer you to charge us a monthly fee so we can continue with Wave.
    Thanks for everything so far, and I hope I can keep my books with you in the future.
    Cheers

• LixiLixi Member Posts: 4

Anyone has any good ideas for free (or cheap) accounting solutions for companies in Africa e.g Ghana.
    Wave has been brilliant because it allows African currencies as the base accounting currency and accommodates multi-currency transactions.

To Wave team
    We do not use the payment systems on Wave. We just use to raise invoices, recurring invoice, record payments manually, extract reports: aged receivables, statements, GL transactions daily and generate monthly and yearly financial reports.
    will be willing to pay a subscription. Please reconsider
    Thanks

• mrdanmrdan Member Posts: 1

Damn this is disappointing. I am in Australia and settled into using Wave a couple of times a month for Invoicing and expenses for over a year. Now I need to pull up stumps and start again. I would've considered paying to continue using Wave but we're being asked to leave.. And screw Zoho - yuk.

• sctsct Member Posts: 5

https://www.bullethq.com/ is not as fancy as Zoho and Wave, but still free.
    Wave, although Stripe connection is not possible any more, it would still be highly appreciated if you would continue offering your platform in other currencies than just US and Canadian dollar

@Lixi said:
    Anyone has any good ideas for free (or cheap) accounting solutions for companies in Africa e.g Ghana.
    Wave has been brilliant because it allows African currencies as the base accounting currency and accommodates multi-currency transactions.

To Wave team
    We do not use the payment systems on Wave. We just use to raise invoices, recurring invoice, record payments manually, extract reports: aged receivables, statements, GL transactions daily and generate monthly and yearly financial reports.
    Thanks

https://www.bullethq.com/ has quite a lot of currencies to offer and is free, maybe that helps.

@tonydarcy said:

@Jerry_RAB said:
    Does anyone have any good ideas for free (or very cheap) accounting solutions for the UK? I am treasurer for a non-profit community/hobby club. We really cannot afford to pay for most of the commercial software we have looked at.

Akaunting is pretty good (it’s free if you host it on your own server - I’d recommend NameCheap and has a relatively easy setup process), but the double entry feature will cost you another $69 USD per year if you need it. A few others here have also mentioned Bokio, so that might be worth looking into.

https://www.bullethq.com/ is also free and has a few more features than Akaunting, though design is a bit outdated

@Dedric said:

@OneBrightSpark said:

People in EU may want to check out
    https://www.bokio.co.uk
    as an alternative. A little bit of dejavu of what wave was like at first :-)

Thank you for the suggestion

But do they offer Euro as accounting currency? I have only seen GBP and SKR.

@Jerry_RAB said:
    Does anyone have any good ideas for free (or very cheap) accounting solutions for the UK? I am treasurer for a non-profit community/hobby club. We really cannot afford to pay for most of the commercial software we have looked at.

https://www.bullethq.com/

• solosailssolosails Member Posts: 26

I Like Wave - I spent quite a bit of time converting to it and setting up my accounting system to rely on it - now I am getting dropped - its very time consuming and disappointing. Whilst I understand you have to think of your own business first and I cannot blame you guys for that, why not consider just charging for your system like everyone else does? I would be happy to pay to use this system, it's simple (sometimes a little too simple), and works well. If you have to reduce your customer base due to profit margins, then clearly your free model isn't working - why not switch to a paid model and keep offering the services globally?

• Hot_GlassHot_Glass Member Posts: 45 ✭✭

@ExWaveLover said:
    Thanks for providing long term free services :)
    Someone somewhere said it right "If you are not paying for it then YOU are the product"

Indeed, I'm sure ZOHO aren't just being handed (what one could assume is) a significant number of Wave Accounting users.

Grateful for being allowed to use the Wave system for just under a year though, even if to just be part of building the disposable herd for that time.
    Using Wave has allowed me to see what I really need besides my old quickbooks programme.

Ok so Stripe have an invoicing service on their platform ?
    Has anyone tried this ?
    It might suit some businesses who want to bill overseas and local clients who pay by card.
    No expenses though so probably not something most would be interested in.

@sct said:
    Wave, although Stripe connection is not possible any more, it would still be highly appreciated if you would continue offering your platform in other currencies than just US and Canadian dollar

Maybe they will stand by their claim "Sign Up For Free Forever" ?
    Will check it out, thanks.
    (Edit - signed up, no option to import clients, invoices etc, but looks good, and Stripe supported.)

• pepelepewpepelepew Member Posts: 2
    • Like everyone else here, I am very disappointed by Wave's decision. I have been using Wave for our business in Japan since 2014, and even if I find it a little bit slow, it has all the functionalities that we needed as well as a great user interface and great reports. I will have a look at https://www.bullethq.com/ like some people suggested but for those who need an accounting system that they don't need to share and that would NEVER let them down, I highly recommend https://gnucash.org/. This is a standalone application that you install on your desktop or laptop and it's super fast and as all the functionalities that are required to run a business. You can import csv files as well and save different configurations as needed. I have been using it for few years now for smaller business and my personal accounting, and I have never been disappointed by it. It's free, it's fast, it works really well, even though the GUI is quite simple and the reports not as fancy as Wave, it has everything you need to run a business, including multiple currencies. If you install the files in dropbox or google drive, then you can share the accouting with other people as long as single person opens it in write-mode, otherwise many people can open in readonly mode. I share a gnucash account with a small business in Thailand, and it works well because we are not in the same timezone so I can update the accounting when it's still night time in Thailand.*
    edited December 31, 2020
  • pepelepewpepelepew Member Posts: 2

@Lixi said:

To Wave team
    Thanks

gnucash.org as a standalone application so you will never have to worry the cloud accounting will ever shut you down like wave...

@sct said:
    https://www.bullethq.com/ has quite a lot of currencies to offer and is free, maybe that helps.

Thank you for the suggestion. BulletB does have a number of currencies but sadly not the Ghanaian Cedis . :'(

• GOLDYGOLDY Member Posts: 1

Well people.... I am soooo disapointed! Ok! I won't say that I also feel like an unwanted customer, that is 100% true anyway, but what exactly do you mean when said you will make it as easy as you can to help us transfer our bussineses to Zoho? I had no time to check the procidure during December, cause believe it or not, corona virus was somekind of bless for e-shops as mine. So, I am f@%#&ing trying two days now, I haven't slept yet and it's 04:00 in the morning of 2nd January (a work day as from 09:00 ) and your CSV file isn't acceptable in Zoho.... If this is your help... Thanks a lot! Could you please tell me how am I supposed to work today? What??? You don't care??? I'll let people know about it!

• LescLesc Member Posts: 2

Found a good wave alternative and it works worldwide
    found this after reading what someone here commented it's free if you only have 100 customers and then unlimited $10.00 per month. even the free version has more to offer than wave so it's definitely worth a look at. there are also comparisons against wave and Zoho (i wouldn't touch with a 10ft barge pole) here's the link https://www.invoiceninja.com/

• FadgeFadge Member Posts: 4

100% agree the transition to zoho is an issue, not a simple migration.

It should be a proper wizard, enter username/password, tick what you want and let the system API do all the work, sadly not the case.

So...
    Export manually to sheets, download as csv, upload and if your lucky zoho accepts the data.
    In my case accounts/items/customers appear to have uploaded ok, but have not checked them as I'm sure some are going to be needing fixing.

BUT invoices fail to even get into sheets if choosing over 900/3years. No error message just fails.
    Manually split the download from just a year or two and qty into smaller chunks, that works.
    Then manually create one master csv simple copy/paste is ok for that part.

Try to import into zoho and NO INVOICE's imported, 100% fail said error due to date formatting, but no F%#^&g way I can get it to work over 2 hours of fails to export to import fails, have tried every combination matched with system changed at organization level and even used the download example from zoho.

Emailed support-wave@zohobooks.com and so far NO RESPONSE in almost 2 days.
    Not exactly "support" in my eyes.

I am confident in CSV import/export as I am actually a IT Tech and do this at least weekly for many clients across many platforms.

If I cannot do it all in 30 mins estimated then what hope has average Joe got?

I will note, I did a test run of zoho books a year back and honestly it was usable and did most of what I needed, bank feeds worked, payments worked, just a little more manual stuff than what wave once used to do, ie before they dropped everything outside of US - Bank Feeds etc.

In AU and the other choices are all paid offers, like rounded, reckon, myob, zero etc, none quite do what I prefer, they all have some short falls or overpriced in my view.

If I spend too much more time on trying to import into zoho, then I will simply move on and go elsewhere, maybe even simple local install or proper cloud system as for me it would be at no cost due to my profession and access to software, my clients will gladly offer me a spare seat or supply me.

Fadge

• hollowaykeanhohollowaykeanho Member Posts: 1

Luckily the notice came in the nick of time. I generated my final 2020 before leaving the platform. It's sad that we can't continue to use Wave which is such a great product due to commitments.

Anyway, I wanted to thanks for your enabling ZORALab Enterprise from bootstrap startup thanks to your free accounting service. Without you guys, these few years could be some horrible ones. To fellow American and Canada entrepreneurs, you guys are lucky to have Wave team with you.

Cheers and stay safe!

• STMC_GrahamSTMC_Graham Member Posts: 7

I feel so let down by Wave. Their product was so good. I wouldn't mind paying for a continuation of services for UK customers, but only 22 clients paid directly by invoice last year and so it's not feasible to suddenly start paying £5.99 a month for Bullet, or £18.99 a month for Zoho. I am moving to Bokio but that means I can no longer categorise the four different types of income. Bokio's invoices look awful. :neutral: very sad AND DISTRESSED.

• NianlouNianlou Member Posts: 3

@MJH26 said:
    @wiredafrican said:

I cannot find the special pricing for Zoho Books if we migrate. Does anyone know what the special pricing is?

It looks like it is 12 months free for Zoho books and then onto their standard tariff, which has 3 levels depending on how many customers you have and how many users you need to access your data. I guess they reason that once you have switched over to them, you won't want to go through the hassle of switching again a year on...

There is a link to the offer in the initial notice and also here: https://www.zoho.com/lp/books/wave-active/?utm_source=app_active

I tried the link to enrol at zoho books.....it does not work.

• NianlouNianlou Member Posts: 3

@sct said:

I checked it out and the free version is maximum 5 invoices per month.....

@Lesc said:
    Found a good wave alternative and it works worldwide
    found this after reading what someone here commented it's free if you only have 100 customers and then unlimited $10.00 per month. even the free version has more to offer than wave so it's definitely worth a look at. there are also comparisons against wave and Zoho (i wouldn't touch with a 10ft barge pole) here's the link https://www.invoiceninja.com/

Thanks for the recommendation. Does invoiceninja have an accounting feature as well or is it just for invoicing?. Thanks

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @Miguel , after a 1 year free plan you will be required to pay any standard Zoho fees. You can reach out to Zoho if you have any further questions about this.

• Design2printDesign2print Member Posts: 1

I am really disappointed, have just started using Wave and am thrilled with it... I only use it for invoicing and bills and emailing out of invoices and reminders. Am I able to continue using these services..?'
    Thank you

• beby182beby182 Member Posts: 1

been using Wave for a few years and i really like, i tried using ZOHO but its really complicated.. i find wave apps is more easier.. any recommended good free website??

• FadgeFadge Member Posts: 4

Q - Has anyone managed to migrate ALL data into zoho ?

I'd suggest it simply cannot be done, the wizard is just for basic stuff, you need to manually export/sort/format/upload and there are file size restrictions.
    Some are 1MB others 5MB, my wave exported "accounting" file is 10MB.
    In my case no matter what I match to examples or should work, fails to validate or import.

Last attempt was 57 records able to import, 4726 skipped/failed, and that is for just one expense account, I have 20 categories to do.

I have over 5 years of data including all paid invoices that I need to keep for access and look up as needed.

Help desk from zoho took 6 days to respond to my last request, and simply copied and pasted what was on the website I already had read and followed.

I have said before, this should have been a very simple process to link the wave system to zoho and allow the system to pull data and then allow the client to choose options such as import all, import current year etc.

At this stage just as easy to keep wave in the background and just start fresh with another product.

Fadge :s

• NeilCNeilC Member Posts: 1

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this but i've switched over to BOKIO which is another FREE forever system but based in the EU. Its very much like WAVE, although i think there's some things each does better than the other.
    Gutted WAVE decided to do this, i'm not sure i understand the reasons behind the decision but it's not the staffs fault.
    WAVE why Zoho? From what i gather having looked its system its the opposite of your offering with paid only options at either £6 £12 or £18 with limitations in each. Was it just offer something?!

Here's a link to BOKIO for those interested:

https://www.bokio.co.uk/bokio-business-accounting/?gclid=Cj0KCQiArvX_BRCyARIsAKsnTxOlx_DbrbvWpacnWtLBc9QInqivFTJDrtJ-muqvfIf9uNx_PFyCHKoaAj3REALw_wcB

• DedricDedric Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi you still do care a little bit, please remove the banner after it's been displayed the first time.

Many of us would appreciate it, including @Carey_S (thanks for sharing the screenshot)

• PetriPetri Member Posts: 9

Does anyone have experience with SlickPie? It seems to have nice UI and Free tier suitable for most small businesses. https://www.slickpie.com/free-wave-alternative