[Dec. 1] Changes to Wave for users outside of the United States and Canada

Comments

• get4musthafaget4musthafa Member Posts: 1

Really unexpected & Very Sad News , using for accounting purpose . wave is much much better than other paid software . really happy to Pay a Subscription fee (hope of existing customers too ) .humbly request you to review the decision .

• Ed_SimEd_Sim Member Posts: 1

I have been using Wave for years now... I would rather pay Wave for the subscription than to pay Zoho books. Give us outsiders an option to pay.

• MelbourneMelbourne Member Posts: 2

Is there any documentation on exporting Wave data to Xero.

• tonydarcytonydarcy Member Posts: 4

This is very disappointing.
    Why not just charge a monthly fee to cover the costs of development for businesses outside the US & Canada?
    Or alternatively just have a more generic version for all countries outside the US & Canada to cut down on development costs?

@Jerry_RAB said:
    Does anyone have any good ideas for free (or very cheap) accounting solutions for the UK? I am treasurer for a non-profit community/hobby club. We really cannot afford to pay for most of the commercial software we have looked at.

Akaunting is pretty good (it’s free if you host it on your own server - I’d recommend NameCheap and has a relatively easy setup process), but the double entry feature will cost you another $69 USD per year if you need it. A few others here have also mentioned Bokio, so that might be worth looking into.

@Bart123 said:
    It has been heading this way for a bit so no surprise.
    But curious how long Wave will last to be honest.

Question - what is the Zoho special offer?
    I don't want to go through all the signup rigmarole to find out it's no cheaper than another, better platform. No details. Does anyone know? The plans on their website aren't any cheaper than bigger players like Xero

It’s free for the first 12 months. After that I assume it would be the regular pricing.

• Francois_1Francois_1 Member Posts: 4

My business is not in the US or Canada. My understanding is that we can continue using Wave, which we are thankful for. Just now I tried to invite a new user as a bookkeeper. This person does not have any existing Wave profiles or businesses. But would merely join as a collaborator on an existing business.
    But we get an error message from Wave, stating that Wave cannot open a "New Business" as it is not in the US or Canada.
    Does this mean that I cannot add any new users to my existing Wave Account?? Surely this was not intended when Wave announced that no new businesses can be added outside the US or Canada?
    Can anyone help?

• KernowtimKernowtim Member Posts: 2

ZOHO - Biggest waste of time.

Just attempted to use the 'simple migration tool' they have made for us to send over our Wave accounts... It does not work and a member of Zoho insisted to take control of my computer - after an hour of the assistant trying everything, they failed and advised I manually input 2 years of data!

I kindly passed on this. What a pile of ....

Thanks Wave

• MelbourneMelbourne Member Posts: 2

Hi there all Australian users, Yes, this is very disappointing and a damn nuisance,

Moving forward, it would be a good idea to choose an Australian based company which caters specifically for Australian business and of course our tax / GST structure. Unfortunately, although good products the overseas products do not offer satisfactory structure for our tax system.

Yes, I know this is a hassle and you don't won't to pay but at the end of the day your business finances are the most important part of your business.

Suggestions: MYOB, Xero or Quickbooks. All of these offer specifics with the Australian tax system and as far as pricing goes all are pretty much the same.

I had been trialling another Australian, Melbourne based product rounded.com.au suggested by a fellow user here in this forum. It seems to be ok but a it lacks a balance sheet and a few other basic accounting items.

Hopefully this may help a few out there. We can't do anything about this unfortunately and I think you would probably agree that this was on the radar after H&R Block took over Wave.

Probably best to stick with local if one can.

How do I know all this. I am a Xero, Quickbooks, MYOB & Microsoft Partner and have been working with accounting software and the IT industry for a nearly two decades.

Happy to help or offer more advice if required.

• francorpfrancorp Member Posts: 1

I have been using Wave now for a long time and really like it, and manage to live with the shortcomings as well. Where to from here? I think a paid solution is probably the best solution. I am going for a solution that offers me also an online store with a modest fee of USD 50, available for PC and mobile phone. This product is called Vyapar, based in India. Use this referral code if you sign up - if will get a fee cents and you will receive the same as well. Use referral code Hey, I have been using Vyapar, a Business Accounting app, that is helping my business a lot. I thought it would help you too. Here is a welcome gift, use my referral code Download Vyapar Desktop App from http://vyaparapp.in/desktop?referrer_code=W17MWR

I am also reaching out to Vyapar to contact Wave to see whether they will be interested in taking on the Wave Accounting users.

• BurhanBurhan Member Posts: 1

If I'm not using any of the payment services, can I still continue to use the system or is there a forced migration? I mean, will the apps stop working for me?

• claytsclayts Member Posts: 2

That's me out - account closed, moved to Bokio.
    Thanks for nothing, Wave.

• CharjitKCharjitK Member Posts: 2

@Burhan said:
    If I'm not using any of the payment services, can I still continue to use the system or is there a forced migration? I mean, will the apps stop working for me?

Me too in Msia, using just to raise invoice, recurring invoice, record payments manually, extract reports: aged receivables, statements, GL transactions monthly and yearly.
    Estimate how long more can i continue use it ? can i use till 31Dec2021 another year. or pls share a estimate till when. Last few days browsing & researching all over. I am a sole trader in rent rooms busines badly affected by the borders shutdown, Im facing dilemma bisnes will pick up by next year or slowly shut down since Mar2020 due to Pandemic. investing in a accounting software during this uncertainty to invest, wait or not. Your guide will be helpful. Thanks so much Wave Team.
    chatein@hotmail.com

edited December 16, 2020
  • justanotherhumanjustanotherhuman Member Posts: 1

I don't know why there were negative comments about Zoho Books. It is amazing! Thanks for the recommendation, Wave! I highly recommend it as well! Plus, they're affordable for small business owners. They have everything I could ask for and more!

• DedricDedric Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

@OneBrightSpark said:

People in EU may want to check out
    https://www.bokio.co.uk
    as an alternative. A little bit of dejavu of what wave was like at first :-)

Thank you for the suggestion

• shinyongshinyong Member Posts: 1

I try to export the data from waveapps, but only vendor, customer, bill items, accounting data downloaded. how are we going to download invoices, product & Services datas, please advices.

• BoldMarkCreativeBoldMarkCreative Member Posts: 1

Dear Wave Team

Thank you very much for the many years that we have had access to your services. We appreciate it. My experience with Wave was an amazing one, saved me much time and effort!

One question remains: How long will my Wave account stay active before we are required to stop using it?

Thanks again and all the best.

X

• LL_KKLL_KK Member Posts: 1

Sad to see Wave saying goodbye to customers outside USA/Canada. Have been with Wave since 2012 and willing to pay a subscription ... moving is painful. Please reconsider.

• SzymonSzymon Member Posts: 1

EU-based user here. For years Wave has been the best solution for my small needs. Really sad it's coming to an end and, sadly, I also get to say: Not like this, man! I'm struggling to make my peace with it but, most importantly, getting anxious over the migration. I have tested bokio but the fact that you can't implement a custom chart of accounts absolutely kills the idea for me.

• encoreservicesencoreservices Member Posts: 3

Really disappointing...

Typical of big (US?) business hitting the little guys just cos they can and without compassion in mid-pandemic. Google are doing it as well ending their free photo storage, Amazon are killing small independents with their aggressive marketing/pricing and shoddy workplace practices...

Anyway, disempowered rant over, another (currently free) accounting option for UK users is https://www.quickfile.co.uk/

@Jerry_RAB said:
    Does anyone have any good ideas for free (or very cheap) accounting solutions for the UK? I am treasurer for a non-profit community/hobby club. We really cannot afford to pay for most of the commercial software we have looked at.

Check out https://www.quickfile.co.uk/

@Justal said:
    Disappointed by this news along with everyone else but have been researching the many alternatives. The best fit for me now seems to be Invoice Ninja (https://www.invoiceninja.com/).

It seems to have everything I need and much more and seems easy to use as well. Does anyone have any opinions on it, are there any “gotcha’s” that I may have missed?

Thanks for the heads-up on InvoiceNinja! Looks great for small businesses and even the free account with upto 100 clients would suit a lot of people!

• AntoAnto Member Posts: 2

Please charge a monthly fee or you share the software for one time fee

• Steve_DangerfieldSteve_Dangerfield Member Posts: 1

Thanks for a great user experience. As a free service the product was excellent and has been helping understand the variety of disciplines required in accounting. I am also of the opinion that I would happily pay for a subscription to keep this going. Still, you have made it possible for us sole traders in the EU to have access to your site for the near future. May that be a long future!

Is there any way to dismiss that annoying banner on every page?
    I don't use any of that functionality, so this stage hasn't affected me yet (I'm sure it will later since I'm assuming this means they are ceasing development for us), but that large and intrusive banner is really frustrating.
    Or if that is not possible, please consider only showing that banner on one page (such as the Dashboard) to minimize its effect on users.

• CharjitKCharjitK Member Posts: 2

@CharjitK said:

@Burhan said:

Me too in Msia, using just to raise invoice, recurring invoice, record payments manually, extract reports: aged receivables, statements, GL transactions monthly and yearly.
    Estimate how long more can i continue use it ? can i use till 31Dec2021 another year. or pls share a estimate till when. Last few days browsing & researching all over. I am a sole trader in rent rooms busines badly affected by the borders shutdown, Im facing dilemma bisnes will pick up by next year or slowly shut down since Mar2020 due to Pandemic. investing in a accounting software during this uncertainty to invest, wait or not. Your guide will be helpful. Thanks so much Wave Team.
    chatein@hotmail.com

and
    BoldMarkCreative
    Member Posts: 1
    Dear Wave Team

Thank you very much for the many years that we have had access to your services. We appreciate it. My experience with Wave was an amazing one, saved me much time and effort!

One question remains: How long will my Wave account stay active before we are required to stop using it?

Thanks again and all the best.

X

May we get an update till when. with details like for viewing records up to till when. Last date new key in upto when. it will be very helpful. Thanks

• DominiqueDominique Member Posts: 2

I've been using Wave off and on for almost 3 years. I loved that Wave was offered as a free product as my business didn't have a constant flow of income. I'm somewhat disappointed that Wave is dropping support for Non-US and Canada users. I would at this point rather pay a small subscription than having to look for another service. I still have the app on my phone and it's been invaluable for creating and sending invoices on the go.

I just hope I can use Wave for as long as I can.

edited December 21, 2020
  • DominiqueDominique Member Posts: 2

@clayts said:
    That's me out - account closed, moved to Bokio.
    Thanks for nothing, Wave.

Is Bokio available for other countries as well?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Joelrodriguez , check out PaulC's post on Dec 2 regarding Puerto Rico.

Hi @shadlockskips1 , you can continue to use the app if you already have it installed on your phone.

Hi @Francois_1 , as it turns out you can't add a new bookkeeper to your account if they didn't already have a Wave account as this would require them to create a new one which is no longer supported.

Hey @CharjitK & @BoldMarkCreative , we don't have any plans to limit or delete your data so your Wave account will continue to stay active.

Hey @shinyong , check out Wave Connect for your exporting needs.

• AlisaSAlisaS Member Posts: 1

So you removed all access to the apps outside of US/Canada with zero notice, and now that I have a new phone with a new ID I can't re-download the apps to use them at all! I understand if you have rules to limit payment processing to particular countries, but spontaneously and retroactively removing the ability for your existing users to efficiently take photos of receipts and upload them is frankly just salt in the wound here.