[Dec. 1] Changes to Wave for users outside of the United States and Canada

Comments

• octatronoctatron Member Posts: 1

I love the fake we care about you approach ending with, "we are ending your service to focus on ourselves". Selfish much?

If you TRULY believed in transparency, you could open source the current copy of Wave and put it on GitHub to at least allow customers to host their own copy locally.

Other foreigners stuck in this boat consider some of these programs to host yourself: Akaunting, Invoice Ninja, Oodo etc etc.

An Aussie or British company would be much more honest. "We are closing support to other countries because we can't be bothered learning other countries tax systems and laws. We love America and Canada and want to continue the naval gazing at our flags and bathing in our narcissistic nationalism.

That said thanks for the use of your platform and all the best in the future.
    Hugs and kisses

-Illegal Alien

• LixiLixi Member Posts: 4

@Petri said:
    Does anyone have experience with SlickPie? It seems to have nice UI and Free tier suitable for most small businesses. https://www.slickpie.com/free-wave-alternative

Hi, I tried to sign up and it appears Slickpie are not accepting new users :'(

• dve83dve83 Member Posts: 9

I'm considering moving to this, maybe an option.
    https://akaunting.com/
    Offers hosted / local options (open source).
    Still investigating, hoping to move by end of Feb 21.

• LeatherCraftGermanyLeatherCraftGermany Member Posts: 1

Has been nice with you. Waving good bye. :)

• dawally1dawally1 Member Posts: 1

I too am saddened by this move, but a decision is a decision, and the company has a right to do what is best for them. I will miss using the software that is so user-friendly. I totally enjoyed the experience for the past few years!

• elmarvandijkelmarvandijk Member Posts: 1

I've been using you for quite a while. Your tools are good and efficient. All I ask for. Support or not, please don't suppress this for existing clients.

I tested Zoho books more than once. For multiple reasons, it's just not my thing. Please keep this live for us. Even if support is delayed or inexistent in the future.

• marklines27marklines27 Member Posts: 4

I'm a micro business in UK and Wave has been great. In my business I get approx 30 new customers per month so Zoho would be so expensive for me.
    I've found QUICKFILE which actually is quite good. Not quite as pretty but easy to get around) UK based and free for the basic version (up to 1000 ledger entries). One thing it does is have a log below the invoice so you can see if you sent a receipt (something WAVE doesnt do). They charge £15 per year for bank integration and power user status (extra customisation and removes adverts) is £45 per year. thats it.
    Actually I've been using it for 2 days and havent seen an advert. And there is an App to scan your receipts.
    Highly reccomend to go and check it out, for a max of £60 +vat per year its value for money.

• FazilFazil Member Posts: 1

All I have to say about this is........ :'(. I have been in search of a similar app when wave said, they are gonna leave us and not able to find anything better or similar as yours. Just trying to accept the truth. No other words to say rather than a "Best wishes" for your business. Hope you will consider us once. Will wait for that.

• snappyfishsnappyfish Member Posts: 55

What about Bokio? Did anyone look at this for UK users?

• Christopher_128Christopher_128 Member Posts: 4

@Lixi said:

@Petri said:
    Does anyone have experience with SlickPie? It seems to have nice UI and Free tier suitable for most small businesses. https://www.slickpie.com/free-wave-alternative

Hi, I tried to sign up and it appears Slickpie are not accepting new users :'(

DOn't bother with Slickpie, when I click sign up this message appears -"As announced in 2020, SlickPie will be ending its services. All the services will be officially shut down on March 31, 2021. If you need any assistance, please contact us."

The dilemma in choosing the next best free platform continues......which can really stay free forever, with a paid option without cutting us off? I am leaning towards Bokio, but will do more research first. Unlimited invoicing, receipt tracking app, these are some of the features that I really do need and hope Bokio has it. Anyone has any experience with using Bokio, kindly share what are the shortfalls as compared to Wave now?

Just to share, I have been exploring Bokio as an alternative, but after spending few hours researching and creating an account and setting up the company, I discovered some shortfalls:-
    1. The currency selection is rather limited...I can't even change it to Malaysian currency. Only a handful of countries are available.
    2. Setting up your company info requires inputting VAT, Bank details (Incl Sort & Swift Code.) No way to leave it blank or the remove this option.

Having arrived at these 2 issues, it does not work for me being Malaysian company as do not have VAT or the need for sort/swift code for local transactions. May be suited for you if you are in Europe.

Is there any free alternative as good as Waveapps?

• ChrisGChrisG Member Posts: 2

What a disgrace. I've been using Waves since I started my business 5 years ago. I've always relied on it as my main accounting software. I was ready to pay to keep my account. I've now tried Zoho it it is literally driving me insane. I don't like the UI and I don't like the Invoice templates. And to make matters worst It is not migrating my invoices properly. Not even the items and prices of each individual item. I thought that with this migrating tool everything would have worked seamlessly but it didn't.

It is a total let down as I was a huge fan of Wave and think it is one of the best cloud accounting software out there. Now I am looking into Freshbooks, having a meeting with one of their representatives and hope that there is a way to migrate everything to it.

• STMC_GrahamSTMC_Graham Member Posts: 7
    > @Christopher_128 said:
    > DOn't bother with Slickpie, when I click sign up this message appears -"As announced in 2020, SlickPie will be ending its services. All the services will be officially shut down on March 31, 2021. If you need any assistance, please contact us."
    >
    > The dilemma in choosing the next best free platform continues......which can really stay free forever, with a paid option without cutting us off? I am leaning towards Bokio, but will do more research first. Unlimited invoicing, receipt tracking app, these are some of the features that I really do need and hope Bokio has it. Anyone has any experience with using Bokio, kindly share what are the shortfalls as compared to Wave now?

I have switched to Bokio. It was confusing as I don't understand double entry accounts. Their team are helpful by email but it takes 24-48 hours for a reply.
    The Invoices created don't look as nice as Wave's. The Accounts list is more restrictive but for a UK Business is much better. The integrated bank feeds are brilliant. The phone app is being updated; currently it doesn't allow invoices but the mobile website is a brilliant alternative.

The real bonus with Bokio is it's seamless automated integration with iZettle card payments. It's not as easy to take payment over the phone but the card reader and card payments are affordable. iZettle receipts and invoices are issued separately from Bokio but appear in the accounts automatically as soon as Payments arrive, with fees of up to 2.5% catered for automatically. Very pleased considering the anger and frustration I feel with Wave.

@snappyfish said:

I looked at Bokio. You cant send a receipt for a paid invoice. I gave up at that point.
    Look at Quickfile. I like it a lot now been using it for 3 weeks. Dashboard not so pretty but the rest is v.good

@marklines27 said:

@snappyfish said:

I looked at Bokio. You cant send a receipt for a paid invoice. I gave up at that point.
    Look at Quickfile. I like it a lot now been using it for 3 weeks. Dashboard not so pretty but the rest is v.good

Really? that seems crazy? Must be able to.

Other good things with QUICKFILE.....Your main menu is along the top and you can easily custom build your own menu on the left side. NIce feature.
    Also Paypal and Stripe integration are free, othe rpayment processors too - full bank integration is £15 per year. And they are UK based
    and no I don't work for them ! :)

@snappyfish said:

@marklines27 said:

@snappyfish said:

Really? that seems crazy? Must be able to.

not sure if that'll come out but its the reply from their support team

• solo16solo16 Member Posts: 1

Will UK WAVE businesses be able to go on using the service from April?
    If not what archive or legacy provision is in place?

edited February 22, 2021
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @solo16 , I merged your comment into this thread so you can view our announcement (on page 1) regarding Wave in the UK and other areas outside of Canada and the US.

So you fully understand, we have no plans to limit or restrict access to your data, although if you are using Stripe through Wave we will be ending that connection on June 30th.

@dve83 said:
    I'm considering moving to this, maybe an option.
    https://akaunting.com/
    Offers hosted / local options (open source).
    Still investigating, hoping to move by end of Feb 21.

I looked at this and asked on their forum. Nothing works, servers errors and no reply.

@AlexL said:

So you fully understand, we have no plans to limit or restrict access to your data, although if you are using Stripe through Wave we will be ending that connection on June 30th.

Dear AlexL,

SInce "there no plans to limit or restrict access to your data" as you mentioned, I'm still relying and continuing using Wave until such time I can find a suitable alternative. Maybe even continue to keep using as long as you don't shut us out?? (I don't and can't use the payment / payroll features anyhow). Whatever I can access right now is suitable for me to keep my business running at this time and even though I have tried researching and trying out some other options, none comes closed to Wave thus far.

Can your management kindly continue to allow download and usage of the Receipt App for iOS or Android?

• andrew_businessandrew_business Member Posts: 1

Wave was great in the era before IBM took over. I can't trust the company anymore, constantly taking features away that have been paramount to the operation.

I'll be closing my account and moving to something reliable and customer focused.

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @Christopher_128 !

If you already have our mobile apps downloaded then you can continue using them. If not, then I'm afraid you will no longer be able to download the applications. Sorry about this.

edited April 6, 2021
  • Hot_GlassHot_Glass Member Posts: 45 ✭✭

I'm in Australia, have posted a comment or two on various Wave threads regarding the ending of Stripe association.
    I've discovered you can (as a registered Stripe account holder) raise an invoice right from their platform, and get paid same as usual.
    Suit me with maybe 10 or so overseas transactions a year paying by card for ease of transaction, the Aussie sales are all EFT / bank transfer anyway, prefer this with no fees.
    Stripe just charge the usual 1.75% domestic and 2.9% overseas, ea plus $0.30 per transaction.

I found a decent looking $20 a month option to Wave from Melbourne based Rounded (ex Wave users say it's very similar) . . . also a free one like Wave based in the UK called Bullet, looks good too with international setups.

Good luck everyone outside the US and Canada, in finding your new accounting option.

@JulianP said:
    Hey @Christopher_128 !

If you already have our mobile apps downloaded then you can continuing using them. If not, then I'm afraid you will no longer be able to download the applications. Sorry about this.

So if the download .apk can be kept and installed this way will UK users get updates?

• KadanoKadano Member Posts: 1

@Hot_Glass said:
    I found a decent looking $20 a month option to Wave from Melbourne based Rounded (ex Wave users say it's very similar) . . . also a free one like Wave based in the UK called Bullet, looks good too with international setups.

Good luck everyone outside the US and Canada, in finding your new accounting option.

I checked Bullet out, turns out that they charge 5€ a month for "advanced invoicing" which is what you need to connect your Stripe account to them. That seems to be their only monthly fee that's really required to do what you'd typically do with Wave, so it's not too bad, but it's certainly not as free as Wave is.

In the future I'm tending towards sending Wave invoices still and asking for payment through TransferWise, with the alternative option of invoicing through Stripe directly. What is disappointing about Stripe invoices is that you can't have linkable invoices that you can edit later. That aspect of Wave is just so convenient.

• Ian_BondIan_Bond Member Posts: 17

I am currently trialing 2 other platforms, quickfile and zoho, zoho seems good but it's gonna cost me £144 a year plus tax after the free trial and the only benefit over wave is automated bank feeds.

Quickfile is powerful, but also a little complicated with the customer account areas and such it creates, it also only provides reports on an accrual basis and I don't operate that way so that's a bit of a pain also.

Wave just works for me, I can import and tag my bank feeds within 10 minutes once a week and everything just works.

the best time for me to move is at the end of my tax year which is the end of this month, but am so happy with wave i don't want to. but am worried they'll pull the plug with little notice in the near future. I wonder if i can eek another year out?

@AlexL said:
    Hi @solo16 , I merged your comment into this thread so you can view our announcement (on page 1) regarding Wave in the UK and other areas outside of Canada and the US.

So for me being self emploted raising a dew invoices a week. I could turn of stripe within> @Ian_Bond said:

I am currently trialing 2 other platforms, quickfile and zoho, zoho seems good but it's gonna cost me £144 a year plus tax after the free trial and the only benefit over wave is automated bank feeds.

Quickfile is powerful, but also a little complicated with the customer account areas and such it creates, it also only provides reports on an accrual basis and I don't operate that way so that's a bit of a pain also.

Wave just works for me, I can import and tag my bank feeds within 10 minutes once a week and everything just works.

the best time for me to move is at the end of my tax year which is the end of this month, but am so happy with wave i don't want to. but am worried they'll pull the plug with little notice in the near future. I wonder if i can eek another year out?

Same, I'm happy with it. Would stay if they only pull stripe I can live without it. But who knows?

• SDMSDM Member Posts: 0

@AlexL said:

What you've said above seems great but I've just logged in to work out my q1 VAT and Sale Tax report no longer seems to load (every other report I've tried still does). Can you confirm if this is a function that has been removed or if I'm just having issues for some reason?

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @SDM!

We haven't depreciated the Sales Tax report for users outside of North America, so you should still be able to use it.

Try out some browser troubleshooting, and see if that helps:

• Use the latest version of Chrome, Firefox or Edge
    • Try using Wave with browser extensions disabled
    • Try logging into Wave on an incognito/private browsing window
    • Clear your cache and cookies