[Dec. 1] Changes to Wave for users outside of the United States and Canada

Comments

• chrishall57chrishall57 Member Posts: 3
    Having flip flopped between Zoho Invoice, Zoho Books and Wave for a good number of years I finally made the switch to Wave. Whoops! Still, thank you Wave for the service you have provided. I'm disappointed but it's a business decision.
  • DedricDedric Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

@Duntelchaig said:
    Being pragmatic, now that the axe has fallen, what are the reasonable options for customers outside North America and what are the steps Wave are taking to minimise the fallout?
    I have seen that there is a 1-year free account transfer to Zoho Books, but no detailed information appears to be available about that yet. For example, how long can my Wave account stay alive before I am obliged to transfer the data off the Wave system? What is the likely cost of Zoho after year 1? How much reconfiguration work will be needed to get my data into Zoho's system and what help facilities will be available? Are these services priced?

Good questions there! And I'm looking forward to the answers.
    Also, it would be helpful if other customers could share any findings for alternative options.

Cheers

• Aimee_Pollock2014Aimee_Pollock2014 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, can someone please clarify for me if my account will remain open??

I’m located in New Zealand but I don’t use any form of payments via Wave. It states in the email I received that my account will remain open?? And only NEW sign ups Outside of the US will be not be accepted. Very confusing?
  • DougMukDougMuk Member Posts: 1

I have used Wave since starting my business 6 years ago, I've never needed Support and never paid a penny (other than Stripe fees). So thanks, but I thought you would eventually charge a subscription rather than closing us down altogether. Very sad.

• AthingAthing Member Posts: 1

I just purchased Woocommerce Wave Connector to export all my Wordpress orders and I was very happy about it until suddenly I saw this message! Thank you for your service but I hope I'll be able to continue to use it without shutting me out.

• PixelBreachPixelBreach Member Posts: 1

I'm also interested in clarification for Puerto Rico.

• OutstaffOutstaff Member Posts: 4

I am trying to import invoices to quickbooks but I cannot find where I can download the following information https://plugin.intuitcdn.net/company-dataimport-transactions-ui/files/f58f7f42c8489b8c3fd8333c04475b84/sample.pdf

• WamiqAhmedWamiqAhmed Member Posts: 2

How can I migrate my existing transactions/data from wave account to zoho books.

• OkapiOkapi Member Posts: 5

Wow, what a sad day. I saw it coming when we were informed that Wave has been sold last year. So you guys used us as testers for your product. After using our comments and features requests, you have managed to improve your product to a level where your testers are no longer needed. You will now offer a fine product to the rich. How is that for distributive justice.
    Anyway, thank you for the time you allowed us to use it for free.

• Ugur_UgurUgur_Ugur Member Posts: 1

I remember wave says we are free and our aim is to earn money from bank integrariton and payroll modules. Now you say get away from our services if you are outside US and Canada. But you did not talk about it before and no information about it. I have lot of data in there. I think that it is not fair. My fault is to believe in your promise... I think this is very big stragecial mistake. In this global world none of the company will escape this huge customer unstasfied custumer feedback. We will not forget you wave accountings and your disintegration.....................

• barrytbarryt Member Posts: 31

Really really bad news. Last thing I want to do is to have to find another system and go through the learning curve all over again. Given how long we need to keep financial records, Wave needs to make it clear how long exisiting accounts will be open for. Quite mind boggling they would decide to do this actually. The impact on people's time to swap to something new will be enormous. Couldn't they at least offer some kind of a subscription model for overseas users to continue?? Sigh.

• Ramirez_PortelaRamirez_Portela Member Posts: 1

As three other members have noted; There is no mention on US territorries (in my case Puerto Rico). Will this be clarified? Where will I see it?

• eesyeeseesyees Member Posts: 1

WHAT? No - my favourite app to do all my business is trying to make America great again and forgetting about the rest of the world - really sad - as I made so much promo for you guys with soo many people. common - don't do this - definitely see the world is bigger than just the US!-)
    anyways - you guys seriously rock and helped me soo much - your app is amazing. going to miss you - will try to hang on in there as long as possible!

• ShallonShallon Member Posts: 1

I have truly appreciated using your platform since 2015, its has been amazing. I feel you could easily charge a monthly sub of about $8 and thousands of people would pay it. You could even make it a voets toets kind of deal where you make clear your focus is to support your local Market and model the product around its local market and if you want to use Wave for $8 a month you accept no support outside of the US and Canada and you accept the reports may not be tailored to markets outside US.. personally I would agree to those terms and can imagine many others will. finding a qaulity and simple product like wave is hard to come by and QBO and Zoho are just too expensive and fancy for most small businesses.

• FrankPrendergastFrankPrendergast Member Posts: 6

Disappointed to hear that Wave won't be supporting customers outside the US and Canada, but even more disappointed that since the big notice appeared, I'm having trouble using the system :(

Anyone else having trouble?

• AndresGMAndresGM Member Posts: 1

Grave!! Es posible seguir usando Waves así sea sin soporte o crear una cuenta americana? Mejor dicho quiero seguir con esta plataforma, mi negocio es pequeño y los otros (Qbooks, Soho...) son muy completos y complejos

• Theo_PTheo_P Member Posts: 2

Dear Kirk and Wave team,

For 6 years I have quietly built and scaled companies from South Africa, and across the Southern Hemisphere, using your platform. It has always been a pleasure using and recommending your solution to startups and growing entrepreneurs this side of the equator, as it has always felt more like a partnership and less like a service.

We felt a bit like the priests of yore by telling young, new, up-and-coming entrepreneurs, of what you do, helping them do business better. We even got my accountant to move!

"Inspired by Entrepreneurs" - Wave Core Beliefs page

We felt like we were helping you achieve your stated mission:

"We’re on a mission to empower entrepreneurs." - Wave Core Beliefs page

It seems that that was either a lie or a mission with an ever-diminishing scope. Missions only for North America? The ability to change the world... as long as you live in one of two countries?

Building for small business owners, Celebrating successes, Relentlessly unsatisfied with the Status Quo - Wave Core Beliefs page.

I remember when invoicing came out... how I, and many of those I encouraged to use it, celebrated. Not just the advent of professional, accessible invoicing. We were cheering YOU. It was, remarkably, even a discussion at an investment conference I attended last year.

Removing barriers to success - Wave Core Beliefs page

It truly did remove barriers to success for entrepreneurs. We hoped you'd stick to that core belief.

Now, even though you won't end support for current customers, you have decided on a strategic business move.
    A sad one, for your global user base (how many invoicing programmes allow South African Rand? Professionally, at that?), and even sadder for those that cheered you for your valour in championing small business.
    A truly tragic one for future entrepreneurs outside of the States and Canada, many who could have "Built Businesses Better" due to you (Your capitalisation, circa 2015).

Whatever that is, we’ll proudly stand behind you and celebrate your success. - Wave Core Beliefs page

I'm glad that access (not support) will continue this side for now.
    But I cannot, in good faith, cheer your communication strategy on this one. Really. Dropping this hot potato with forewarning or timelines (in actual fact, a day after implementation)? It grates.

So, well done on focusing. That is good, and something I recommend all businesses do.
    But in future (should you decide to continue sticking around), please communicate better?

That’s why our core software is free, and always will be. - Wave Core Beliefs page

One can but hope, I suppose?

Sorry for deciding to lower your vision, and limiting it to North America. It figures, and most of the rest of the world is pretty used to it by now.
    Those of us that count ourselves lucky enough to have "signed on" early, will celebrate our fortune...
    And weep for what could have been.

Good luck. Thank you for many years of helping businesses. I hope we can continue for a bit still.

Maybe go update your Core Beliefs page.

• fidofido Member Posts: 16
    I only received this email today, 2 December, in NZ saying what would happen 30 Nov! And no info in what the Zoho offer might be at this stage. Although they say they won't provide email support for international customers, they say they aren't closing accounts... YET! But seems inevitable if you stop support existing customers, effective yesterday!
    I think Zoho had seemed a promising option when I looked last year, so let's see what they offer.
  • domhardydomhardy Member Posts: 5

If only they had something like a connected international network that worked around the world. Where users could access your website no matter where they were. And they could just use the same product, only your client base would be remote! They could even call it the Internet and the World Wide Web or something.

• Hot_GlassHot_Glass Member Posts: 45 ✭✭

@Aimee_Pollock2014 said:
    Hi, can someone please clarify for me if my account will remain open??

I’m located in New Zealand but I don’t use any form of payments via Wave. It states in the email I received that my account will remain open?? And only NEW sign ups Outside of the US will be not be accepted. Very confusing?

Australia here.
    It reads like Wave will stay open for you, but who really knows for how long ?

I took up Wave to move away from bank merchant facilities for card payments, so without Stripe affiliation after March 31st for this, I guess it's back to square 1 and finding another system.
    So just 4 months for me to work it out.

Glad I decided to keep double entry to my old quickbooks, and up until now have only been Wave invoicing and taking Wave / Stripe payments for a minor # of clients (overseas mostly).

edited December 1, 2020
  • Theo_PTheo_P Member Posts: 2

Dear Kirk and the Wave HQ team,

For 6 years I have quietly built and scaled companies from South Africa, and across the Southern Hemisphere, using your platform. It has always been a pleasure using and recommending your solution to startups and growing entrepreneurs this side of the equator, as it has always felt more like a partnership and less like a service.

We felt a bit like the priests of yore by telling young, new, up-and-coming entrepreneurs, of what you do, helping them do business better. We even got my accountant to move!

"Inspired by Entrepreneurs" - Wave Core Beliefs page

We felt like we were helping you achieve your stated mission:

"We’re on a mission to empower entrepreneurs." - Wave Core Beliefs page

It seems that that was either a lie or a mission with an ever-diminishing scope. Missions only for North America? The ability to change the world... as long as you live in one of two countries?

Building for small business owners, Celebrating successes, Relentlessly unsatisfied with the Status Quo - Wave Core Beliefs page.

I remember when invoicing came out... how I, and many of those I encouraged to use it, celebrated. Not just the advent of professional, accessible invoicing. We were cheering YOU. It was, remarkably, even a discussion at an investment conference I attended last year.

Removing barriers to success - Wave Core Beliefs page

It truly did remove barriers to success for entrepreneurs. We hoped you'd stick to that core belief.

Now, even though you won't end support for current customers, you have decided on a strategic business move.
    A sad one, for your global user base (how many invoicing programmes allow South African Rand? Professionally, at that?), and even sadder for those that cheered you for your valour in championing small business.
    A truly tragic one for future entrepreneurs outside of the States and Canada, many who could have "Built Businesses Better" due to you (Your capitalisation, circa 2015).

Whatever that is, we’ll proudly stand behind you and celebrate your success. - Wave Core Beliefs page

I'm glad that access (not support) will continue this side for now.
    But I cannot, in good faith, cheer your communication strategy on this one. Really. Dropping this hot potato with forewarning or timelines (in actual fact, a day after implementation)? It grates.

So, well done on focusing. That is good, and something I recommend all businesses do.
    But in future (should you decide to continue sticking around), please communicate better?

That’s why our core software is free, and always will be. - Wave Core Beliefs page

One can but hope, I suppose?

Sorry for deciding to lower your vision, and limiting it to North America. It figures, and most of the rest of the world is pretty used to it by now.
    Those of us that count ourselves lucky enough to have "signed on" early, will celebrate our fortune...
    And weep for what could have been.

Good luck. Thank you for many years of helping businesses. I hope we can continue for a bit still.

Maybe go update your Core Beliefs page.

• DedricDedric Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

Obviously, thanks for the free service provided so far.

unfortunately, you haven't really been very transparent with your customers, especially, the new ones who were not warned that you'd be shutting down soon.

I think @Sylvia is sad but accurate example of this.

QUESTIONS TO WAVE :
    I'm doubtful as to why we should trust your recommendation to move to Zoho ?
    What are the ties between Wave & Zoho ?
    What was your motivation for making a deal with Zoho ?
    How much of this is related to H&R Block purchasing and taking control of Wave, about a 1,5 year ago ?

@fido said:
    I only received this email today, 2 December, in NZ saying what would happen 30 Nov! And no info in what the Zoho offer might be at this stage. Although they say they won't provide email support for international customers, they say they aren't closing accounts... YET! But seems inevitable if you stop support existing customers, effective yesterday!
    I think Zoho had seemed a promising option when I looked last year, so let's see what they offer.

The Aussie pricing for Zoho Books is too much for me, nearly $40/mth.
    The Aussie Zoho says FREE SUPPORT "Get 24/5 unlimited support on emails, live chat and phone."

But I might just finally take the plunge to Quickbooks cloud (use PC based old program still), their essentials plan for $35/mth will cover what I need and integration from the old to new is included in it's basic form.
    I'll be forced to get Paypal for card payments though, dragged kicking and screaming !

edited December 1, 2020

Zoho is overpriced, not sure where you are but in Australia the pro plan is just under $40 / mth.
    Uses Stripe though, so that account at least is able to be used.

Ah, the hunt for a new system begins. Again.

@BobHoffman said:
    Once bitten, twice shy, I won't be using a US / Canadian cloud provider again

This is probably what every Wave user will have to do now, go local.
    Not a lot of choice, and no free rides in general.

A real pain to begin again, but the Stripe integration, and guarantee of future availablility makes Wave dead now for many users.

• LowaLowa Member Posts: 1

Sorry to hear about your decision to leave the overseas markets. As a small, non for profit volunteer-based organisation we found Wave easy to use, and it provided all the end of year data quickly and efficiently. We will stick with Wave until you for now.

• FaridNorFaridNor Member Posts: 1

For Malaysian users, you guys can head to https://simpankira.com to migrate from wave accounting to SimpanKira cloud accounting. It is more in tune for Malaysia environment, including its payroll solution which covers automatic computation for KWSP, PERKESO, LHDN and HRDF statutory deductions. If you opt for Zoho Books, obviously you will need to pay the withholding tax on behalf of Zoho Book, which is imposed by LHDN. And also exposed yourself to currency exchange risk because obviously your earning is in Ringgit Malaysia but you'll be paying in USD once the moratorium given by Zoho Book ends.
    So the choice is there. Can use local software. Can support local Malaysian SaaS.

• ChunkyChanChunkyChan Member Posts: 1

Dear Wave team, you have created a beautiful thing of form and function, thank you! I'm just really grateful you have decided to keep existing non-US users.

• WDKWDK Member Posts: 4

This is disappointing.
    I was expecting an email to say you would need to charge us a monthly fee which I would of signed up to straight away.

I too am put off using a non UK company for invoicing etc.

What other solutions are people looking at ? Doesn't need to be free just needs to be affordable and straight forward to use :)

• LafondaLafonda Member Posts: 2

As of November 30th 2020? :s Really?