[Dec. 1] Changes to Wave for users outside of the United States and Canada

Comments

• LafondaLafonda Member Posts: 2

I would have preferred to have known at least a month in advance. This message just showed up on my WAVE dashboard. Very disappointing!

• A_TrevinoA_Trevino Member Posts: 1

I'm very shocked at this sudden departure. I provide assistance to a few expat communities in Mexico, helping to manage associations. There are absolutely zero bank connections. Everything is entered manually, both payments and expenses. I use the software for invoice management and budget reporting only. Can we have an idea of how long before you will shut Mexico out of access to the software?

• jacquiwalljacquiwall Member Posts: 4

Really sad. I have been using Wave for quite a few years and in my role as Branch Leader Finance Team for the Scout Association of Australia, SA Branch, I have encouraged many of the 256 Scout Groups and Activity Sections as well as Finance Officer for the Theatre Association of South Australia with 78 member companies to use it also. Whilst I understand the business decision, the offer being negotiated with Zoho will not suit our members. Both are not-for-profit organisations and rely on membership fees for their survival and in this Covid climate, many have been severely impacted in both their membership and fundraising opportunities. One year free service by Zoho with a fee of $29.00 (at least) per month thereafter is going to cripple many of them. I truly hope Wave will continue to allow the use of the platform to users like us who do not have to submit tax returns and can work around the Stipe payment issues. I look forward to future updates.

• Russell_JonesRussell_Jones Member Posts: 2

In Wave's own words -Zoho vs Wave. I guess we're second class citizens now.

• SuccealSucceal Member Posts: 1

Puerto Rico is part of the US. Why are you eliminating us?

• Adrian22Adrian22 Member Posts: 2

So sorry to hear that you decided to give up on probably around half of your potential clients.
    For me and likely may others, Wave was the "holy grail" of online accounting (both free and a nice functional UI with multi-currency and multi-tax support). To me it even looked like the situation was ever-improving before this sudden move -- maybe there is still time to change your mind ?

• prturbo5prturbo5 Member Posts: 1

This is truly disheartening. I've used Wave for 7 years here in the UK and would never want to leave this amazing platform

• jhfelectricjhfelectric Member Posts: 6

"Wave’s priority has always been supporting small business owners".... until now.
    You are letting down people and I think this is not fair. You exist because of your users. Your business model is not sustainable, and you have your users support your errors. Have your users pay a regular fee for a regular service, and build a win-win relationship instead.

• DantrellDantrell Member Posts: 3

@webxsite said:

Comments seem to think you have removed the service for existing customers outside the US & Canada? Please just give us a heads up if you decide to remove us.

Wave has no current plans to close or restrict access to existing accounts for customers outside the US and Canada. However, this may change in the future. Future decisions about Wave’s availability in your country may be affected by new legislation that regulates customer data or product updates that change Wave’s software requirements.

This is so sad. I am enjoying wave for quite some months since I moved here. Everyone in our organization is pretty much happy how easy it is to operate. Wave has helped our business make our operation easier.

I hope you could give us notice ahead of time if you will restrict existing users outside US and Canada so we could back up our data and look for other platform. Anyways, Wave is perfect for our business operation though.

I hope to find alternatives to Wave. If someone knows, please share to us.

Thank you for free service!

• DantrellDantrell Member Posts: 3

I would be happy if you continue to support outside US and Canada. Even I pay 8 dollar subscription free. Hope you consider this.

• Meg29Meg29 Member Posts: 1

From PH, so sad. Every time I found a perfect solution for my business it wont last. :( Thanks though...

• McLarenMCL33McLarenMCL33 Member Posts: 6

@A_Trevino said:
    I'm very shocked at this sudden departure. I provide assistance to a few expat communities in Mexico, helping to manage associations. There are absolutely zero bank connections. Everything is entered manually, both payments and expenses. I use the software for invoice management and budget reporting only. Can we have an idea of how long before you will shut Mexico out of access to the software?

What are the chances for someone outside US/Canada continuing to use this (manual entries with no connections) in the future without a sudden removal of the software access?

• mosemose Member Posts: 1

I'm saddened and disappointed.
    It is not the best decision to your customers who are willing to pay.
    Regulations and legislation should meet strategy not Flight.

• MickOzMickOz Member Posts: 1

I have used Wave for a number of years for a non-profit in Australia and have been very happy with it. I'll be moving to SAASU an Australian based program (not another US one) that I use for other entities. Downside is it is a paid service.

• mikeincairnsmikeincairns Member Posts: 4

Wow....what a kick in the guts. Have been using Wave for years (before they were bought out by H&R Block). The best free accounting software for micro business. We have also recommended it for many of our clients. Can't believe Wave are doing this.

Why don't they charge a small fee to keep our service running. We wouldn't complain about $50-100 per year to help support keeping Wave services.

edited December 9, 2020
  • muzufxmuzufx Member Posts: 2

Hello Folks,

I've been using Wave for ages now and it is absolutely unimaginable that this could ever happen!

I'm from Mauritius and this news is a very sad one.

History has it, Foreign Legislation does not stop the US and its subsidiaries to meddle into other countries affairs. Why Wave should stop supporting Foreign Customers for me is not clear.
    Just imagine Microsoft telling its customers, Book Keeping in Excel cannot be done outside the US?

Anyway, I will have to say a Big Thank You to the Wave Accounting Team for their work over the years. I wish you all the very best.

Regards
    Muzafar

PS: how Zoho can still afford foreign customers while the data is still hosted in the US?

• TristanDahlTristanDahl Member Posts: 1

My favourite part about this was receiving an email on Dec 1 about how signups after 30 Nov weren't permitted, thanks for the heads up? "Because we know our customers rely on the ability to plan ahead"

Glad to see how you guys claim to support small businesses then throw third world countries to software we don't want to use. South Africa is not affected by EU legislation, so why do you chuck everyone that isn't the US or affiliated under one umbrella and say cheers?

I'm happy to pay a monthly premium to continue using the software, assuming there is actually some incentive to apologize for the inconvenience put on countries outside of North America.

You retain our access to the software but imply that that could change? Now I'm left to wonder if its even worth staying with you at all, feels like we're basically being told to f*** off.

• kriemerkriemer Member Posts: 2

Agree, I am a small pottery studio in Australia and i have used Wave as well with great success and i loved it. Just finished the API to get the automatic payment button on my invoices to my students :(

Please WAVE reconsider to have an non-US/CA version and keep it, we are happy to pay a fee.

• kriemerkriemer Member Posts: 2

I forgot to ask, anyone experience with https://www.reckon.com/au/ ? Thanks for input

Australians can try https://www.freeaccountingsoftware.com.au/. It's not pretty, but it is fully featured including BAS and STP.

@kriemer said:
    I forgot to ask, anyone experience with https://www.reckon.com/au/ ? Thanks for input

Expensive (beware with the cheapest plan you cannot even prep invoices)... and Reckon is a painful company to deal with. In our line of work we see all accounting systems. If you don't mind paying high monthly subscriptions for a product I would suggest (in order):
    1. Xero
    2. Quicken/Reckon Online
    3. Do not touch MYOB - it is horrible.

I am currently looking at Zoho ($132 per year) which was recommended by Wave. If they make us leave this could be a viable option. Especially if an easy migration method is available.

edited December 2, 2020
  • KtkayeeKtkayee Member Posts: 1

Can users outside of US and Canada continue to use the bookkeeping and report features?

• Grace_DGrace_D Member Posts: 4

Wave was one of the few things constant in my life, which I counted on. Zoho is not free, so I hope you can just partner with developers all over the world to create new accounting platforms per country and share in their profits. I think it is easier to migrate to new countries with local partners because there are just a few differences when it comes to taxation and payroll. Anyway, thank you so much for everything. Kindly keep us posted via e-mail, in case you want to pursue this international platform suggestion. God bless us all!

• ShaunTShaunT Member Posts: 1

So, here I am left wondering what the statement when we registered and why we registered in the beginning stating "Free forever" actually meant! Yes things change, but ethics & integrity should never change!!

• RenataRenata Member Posts: 1

This is very sad news. I have so enjoyed using your software for my very small business.

Please may I ask is that users capturing information manually to please be allowed access for a few more months, say end of March 2021. The reason I say March is because in South Africa the income tax year ends end of Feb of each year and March will allow us to get one month to get "our ducks in a row".
    Many thanks

• Grace_DGrace_D Member Posts: 4

@emmegi said:
    soooo, which alternative are you people going to go for?

Hard truth is nothing lasts free forever, so the important thing is to have a hard copy, and an online copy. As of the moment, since I have spreadsheet skills, I'll probably just have a manual book, encode in a google spreadsheet and print periodically... or get accustomed to Brightbook :smile:

• Cris254Cris254 Member Posts: 1

Wouldn't it be better to charge for this service? I'd gladly pay for it

• mcoffeemcoffee Member Posts: 1

WOW! Very disappointing. So instead of complying with local laws and EU legislations you're just going to leave thousands of small businesses hung out to dry. At this point may of us would be happy to pay to continue.

Really thought waves had a great product, but I guess the same can't be said for it's leadership. This is exactly why many European businesses don't trust North American companies. No respect for the rules.

• PM11_PM11_ Member Posts: 1

Wave was indeed an amazing, aesthetic, user-friendly tool to use, and I was so happy that I'd chosen it since early 2020... Now, could you please help me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) exporting all my data from Wave to my laptop? Could you create a kind of package that would be downloadable or available on a cloud?
    Thanks in advance!

• 1sanesoul1sanesoul Member Posts: 1

I sincerely hope users outside the USA & Canada will be given an option to subscribe (with a monthly fee) before functionality stops completely.