[Dec. 1] Changes to Wave for users outside of the United States and Canada

Comments

• NotAmericanNotAmerican Member Posts: 1

Americans for America only again I see. Sad to see this service go as it was quite a simple and quick solution.

• KingsleyakinfeKingsleyakinfe Member Posts: 1
    Am highly disappointed with this news, it came when I was enjoying the software with wave. Have just completed the inputs if the company invoices which was done sleeplesss nights. This is wasted efforts. It will be good if migrating to another platform even uf to pay, I don't mind. Wave is easier to use and it's friendly.... How I wish your decision is reverse.
  • P4NCHP4NCH Member Posts: 5

@emmegi said:
    soooo, which alternative are you people going to go for?

Narrowed down to Sage and Quickbooks, I've exported all of my data, just weighing up the gazillion business options needed. Recurring bills were always non-existent here, so a plus moving elsewhere for this alone. Like many others would have paid for a decent Wave app.

QB looks like the one for me, 6 months free too, what about you?

I love the fact that Wave just sent me a congrats, 2 years Wave badge... Wave bye bye more like.

Ah well, onwards and upwards :#

edited December 2, 2020
  • GomacoGomaco Member Posts: 1

Agreed to @mikeincairns and @kriemer.
    I am more than happy to pay for this service (up to $10/month) if Wave apps still offer us service just like now.
    Wave administrator, please please consider about it.

• haroldsoharoldso Member Posts: 1

Such a bad news, wave has all the advantages for all the small business owner, not just about the free service, i cant get a apps which able to issue invoice on mobile apps, capture receipt on mobile apps, if the developer wish to develop this apps in South east asia, pls contact me , i really think this business model works!

• TheConsultantTheConsultant Member Posts: 1

Thank you Guys, this is an incredible piece of software and I will continue to use it until such time as I am told to stop thank you for the time we have had together.

• Mike_WilsonMike_Wilson Member Posts: 1

Dear Waves
    This is really disappointing news. As a small entrepreneur business, I have depended on your application to keep my accounting in order with its easy to use, no fuss modules.
    I have recently introduced it to Freemasonry South Africa, who still maintain their accounting manually, as a tool to keep the lodge finances in order. This will be a setup back on many fronts.
    Please reconsider ....
    Regards Mike Wilson

edited December 3, 2020
  • Jamesl007Jamesl007 Member Posts: 1

You guys have a good product BUT your PR spin is just so condescending - unbelievable move to only support north America.
    I am not sure how many clients you have OUTSIDE THE US and CANADA but I guess its a few. Why not just offer a PAID solution to us minions who are not domicile in north America. Do the maths guys after all you are in the accounting space after all. Maybe you have 4 million customers .... lets say CONSERVATIVELY 1,000,000 outside the US and Canada .... 50% uptake .... $10 a month = 5 Mil for YOU a MONTH!!!!! at MINIMAL EXTRA COSTS.
    Give me some shares and a heavy base salary if you want to make some cabbage and I'll leave you guys to continue developing your great package.

• Carey_SCarey_S Member Posts: 2

Please remove the enormous notification banner. Every time I see it makes me upset :'(

• TRobTRob Member Posts: 3

This is very sad and dissapointing news indeed. :-(
    My simple requirements do NOT involve any issues regarding banking or even taxes since I am a small private business NOT registered for VAT so there are no tax implications.
    If you are negotiating a special offer from Zoho - why not make us foreigners the same offer in Wave? As many have said - we could then decide if it is worth our while to continue?
    If you cut certain services for foreign accounts or - they just do not work correctly for us foreigners - could you not let us decide if we want to continue to use Wave or not?
    If you limit our support to community support - well - we have to live with that.... Please do not ever make the decision to just cut us off.

• WillHWillH Member Posts: 5

Having spent several weeks entering and triple checking all my data only a few months ago, this is extremely annoying to hear.

This decision was clearly made months ago. We could and should have been warned before now.

I suppose we can hope that those of us outside the US won't get the chop, but the language seems pretty clear - start finding another option now.

Will

edited December 3, 2020
  • webxsitewebxsite Member Posts: 9

December 2019 they stopped banking imports, this December 2020 they removing Puerto Rico which is part of the US (beside other countries) they removed the page Wave vs Zoho - any potential customer in Canada and US will look at this and your mission statement and just feel unsafe trusting you. This was a terrible way of handling things. Ouch...

• SteveLuxSteveLux Member Posts: 3

Per the recommendations, I am migrating to Zoho Books. I need to import my transactions, but the help center provides no real assistance on how to do this. So what do I need to do to my accounting.csv file to import it to Zoho correctly?

• davewatzdavewatz Member Posts: 1

Disappointing. I'd expected at some point that a subscription would be asked, but the abrupt nature of this change leaves no faith the full dumping of international users wouldn't happen as abruptly.

Guess I'll check out Zoho, or pay the upgrade to use the full xero setup, which I had debated doing.
    All the best

• DuntelchaigDuntelchaig Member Posts: 3

I'm off! I can't wait for a response from Wave. I'll transfer all my data to Zoho and take the free year's subscription there.

It's a fair amount of work to make the transition - - not just a simple download/upload. First, export all transactions from Wave, then download all receipts from Wave (you can use .xls or .csv files). You will have to take the time to adjust your existing chart of accounts to suit Zoho, or change theirs to match your in Wave (not a great idea if you are going to be a long-term user of Zoho!); then migrate in the following steps:
    1. import chart of accounts;
    2. import customers and vendors;
    3. import products and services;
    4. import bills and invoices;
    5. import receipts.
    That said, there are a few wrinkles along the way because some transactions can't be exported from Wave for import directly to Zoho without manual intervention. Then all you have to do is compare the trial balances between the two packages line-by-line to ensure that what you imported equals what you left behind. If it does at the first pass, you're a real professional!
    Who would have volunteered to do all of this work in the weeks immediately before Christmas?
    You will have to spend some time in getting your head round the way Zoho processes work - - they are similar but not the same! Old habits die hard!

All in all, this is a self-inflicted PR disaster for Wave. I'd like to know how many of their US and Canadian customers are watching this and thinking "how long before they jettison users in Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Texas .... Pennsylvania .... New York?"

Anyway, may I wish all of you involuntary migrants a very Happy Christmas and a Guid New Year - - you're certain to be busy! I hope you get through the transition smoothly and get on with life in Zoho, or whatever other product you choose.

D

• DuntelchaigDuntelchaig Member Posts: 3

I'm off! I can't wait for more details from Wave. I'll transfer all my data to Zoho and take the free year's subscription there.

It's a fair amount of work to make the transition - - not just a simple download/upload. First, export all transactions from Wave, then download all receipts from Wave (you can use .xls or .csv files). You will have to take the time to adjust your existing chart of accounts to suit Zoho, or change theirs to match your in Wave (not a great idea if you are going to be a long-term user of Zoho!); then migrate in the following steps:
    1. import chart of accounts;
    2. import customers and vendors;
    3. import products and services;
    4. import bills and invoices;
    5. import receipts.

That said, there are a few wrinkles along the way because some transactions can't be exported from Wave for import directly to Zoho without manual intervention. Then all you have to do is compare the trial balances between the two packages line-by-line to ensure that what you imported equals what you left behind. If it does at the first pass, you're a real professional!
    Who would have volunteered to do all of this work in the weeks immediately before Christmas?
    You will have to spend some time in getting your head round the way Zoho processes work - - they are similar but not the same! Old habits die hard!

All in all, this is a self-inflicted PR disaster for Wave. I'd like to know how many of their US and Canadian customers are watching this and thinking "how long before they jettison users in Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Texas .... Pennsylvania .... New York?"

Anyway, may I wish all of you involuntary migrants a very Happy Christmas and a Guid New Year - - you're certain to be busy! I hope you get through the transition smoothly and get on with life in Zoho, or whatever other product you choose.

D

• TeckTeck Member Posts: 1

Imagine my joy to find something so intuitive and straightforward to support the Nigerian Naira for payroll and invoicing absolutely free in 2017. Since then my small business has continued to grow and I never bother about invoicing all thanks to Wave. I sang your praise to anyone & everyone that I had a discussion about invoicing with cos the service was just that good. Now imagine my shock to receive an email on the 1st of December 2020, informing me about a decision made the previous day, 30th November 2020. I had to check the date again to confirm that I wasn't reading the message wrong.

While I understand the fact that you're a business, which means that you need to make the best decisions for yourselves and I appreciate the fact that you'll continue support on some basic level for existing users, I would have happily paid a subscription fee to your service as a way of giving back and keeping the service available.

I really think that you guys really dropped the ball on this one but I also wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

• SemmlerSemmler Member Posts: 2

Really sad for this decision...as a freelancer, Wave is the best software I have tried for accounting.

It would've been better to start charging a fee per month to use the software instead of dropping the ball for everyone except US/Canada - personally, I would have paid.

It will be a hassle now to change software, even the migration to Zoho Books is not straight forward since Wave is not providing a feature to download all invoices or even export the chart of accounts...

• SassySassy Member Posts: 1

Wow, why not introduce a fee. I love the app, would gladly pay as I can see many others would too. After managing to come through everything and keeping my small business alive this year, this is like being hit in the stomach :(

• AlandraAlandra Member Posts: 1

I'm REALLY disappointed after reading this announcement. While I sincerely understand business decisions and wish the phenomenal team at Wave every success for the future, I feel completely overwhelmed at the thought of having to transfer my data into a new system, and learn its package which I'm sure isn't nearly half as user-friendly. I too would be extremely comfortable paying for an annual subscription fee, and strongly urge Wave to consider South Africa's emerging market. Should Wave decide to terminate our access completely in the future, what kind of notice can users expect to be given in preparation for the transition? Look forward to hearing from you, and thanks for the many years of brilliant service.

• AbdallahAbdallah Member Posts: 2

Will that affect the accounts themselves? or only STRIPE?
    We can always manage manual transactions, or will such accounts still be shut down?

edited December 3, 2020
  • JacoGrieselJacoGriesel Member Posts: 2

Wave team,

I've been using Wave for over two years now, and I really love your product.

I fully understand the business decision you had to make, and I wish you all the best for the future. Thank you very much for the past couple of years!

For my fellow South Africans who will have to move on to a new system, I can highly recommend Stratushop.

Best wishes from the Cape Winelands in South Africa!

• DedricDedric Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

yep, if I was a US/Canada Wave's Customer, I would have serious doubts about keeping the accounting of my business with such an unreliable system, who can decide retroactively to throw you away !
    What a worrying situation that must be….

And seeing how Wave has been hiding since their announcement (not a single post/reply on the forum as far as I can see) just confirms how much they don't care.

TBH, given their [new] strategy choice, it's probably better for them to just ignore the current reactions, give it a bit of time and keep it on the low down, and the situation will calm down itself, unwanted customers will just move away on, stop complaining, and soon enough all the customers left will have forgotten about this sad yet very revealing, episode.

Last thing they want is that US/Canada Customers start questioning about the trustworthiness of Wave as company… especially if they decide to not be a free service anymore!

Best of luck to all.

edited December 3, 2020
  • DedricDedric Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

Some interesting comments in this thread too:
    https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/9687/wave-just-stabbed-its-non-us-canada-customers-in-the-back#41434

Especially for US & Canada customers, who are not [yet] affected by this major change, but I'd suggest you ask yourself wether or not your business can continue to rely on a Wave, as a company, who seems to easily divert from its core mission statement:
    "Wave’s primary purpose is to support small business owners, and we believe transparency in what we do and how we communicate with our customers is central to that mission."

• ItsnotbutterItsnotbutter Member Posts: 2

OK just looked into Zoho, and looks fine, however there needs to be an easier way to export ALL my wave to Zoho, its far to complex for me and I don't have Excel Etc. I assume Zoho wants our business so for people like me a simple 'Export' button to transfer everything needs to be available, and the option for more technical people to transfer the current way if they only want to transfer certain things, I don't have the time to try to figure it out. So please write the code so we can transfer in one easy step or the very least in one file download-upload.
    Thanks

• Ian_BondIan_Bond Member Posts: 17

is there any need to jump ship right now then? they say they have no plans to end the service for current users, just not accepting new sign ups. Why are you all jumping ship? do you believe they'll eventually shut down access completely?

been using wave for a few years and it's been a god send compared to my old invoicing system, so gonna hang in there as other 'free' or cheap solutions have a customer limit it seems

• WDKWDK Member Posts: 4

@Ian_Bond said:
    is there any need to jump ship right now then? they say they have no plans to end the service for current users, just not accepting new sign ups. Why are you all jumping ship? do you believe they'll eventually shut down access completely?

been using wave for a few years and it's been a god send compared to my old invoicing system, so gonna hang in there as other 'free' or cheap solutions have a customer limit it seems

Hello
    The reason I'm looking to move straight away is because they won't be allowing payments via stripe which all of my customers do. This move as also put doubt in my mind about how long they'd want me as a user.

I'd rather find an alternative now and get it out of the way before more many more invoices are raised etc.

I bloody love Wave and I was hoping that Wave were just going to start charging £10- £15 a month. I'd happily pay that but nope they just seem to want rid.

• SparkeySparkey Member Posts: 1

Hi Wave so not cool :-( im in NZ and would be more than happy to pay for the accounting and invoice side of your product have used it now for 5 years.
    Please look at this you are about to loose a heap of customers and damage your own business and reputation.

• Capture_ContentCapture_Content Member Posts: 3

Wave you've been a godsend for my small business based here in Sydney Australia. We dont use Stripe so we're hoping to continue to use your service. For now... bon voyage! Many many thanks, Capture Content™ Sydney

• Capture_ContentCapture_Content Member Posts: 3

I agree with the above. I would be prepared to pay for a subscription for Wave if you could make it work for us Southern Hemisphere dwellers.